ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaah!!! Wohoooo I'm gonna listen the WHOLE album in 3 days!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
August 7th, 2005 12:17 PM
Mr Jimmy Way to go Voodoo. Congratulations!

We'll finally get a review that's worth reading. Can't wait!
August 7th, 2005 12:23 PM
Riffhard I'm not letting one review get me negative about the album. Remeber that every other review has been largly positive. It's just such a French thing to do to be contrarian. Remember that quote from Mick concerning the French? He was refering to the Stones popularity vs the Beatles popularity. He said,and I quote,"Well the Beatles were always number one in every country in Europe except France. We were always number one in France,but you know? They're French."

So goes the French about everything from what I can tell. Very contrarian. No offense intended here,but it does have a ring of truth to it.

Riffhard
August 7th, 2005 12:23 PM
T&A i'm just hoping we get a "realistic" review. i'm not expecting the second coming of UC, let alone EOMS. If Voodoo or anyone opens a review by indicating they like ONNSOL (elsewhere known simply as SOL), then I won't bother reading the rest....
August 7th, 2005 12:35 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
What the fuck was that review saying?

Did they like it or not?

No, they didn't like it much. Basically, they say it's overproduced, uninspired except for one or two songs, not approaching the level of former masterpieces like Exile... Well, we knew from the beginning an album recorded in 2005 wouldn't sound like 1971!

But a sentence like "lots of guitar, bass/drums very forward, ultra modern production in keeping with the sound of the young new rock bands" is: a) puzzling (isn't it the other way round, the young bands following the Stones rather?), and b) not really negative in my book! That sounds like rock'n'roll, doesn't that?

BTW, that review, by French fan club Club des Stones, wasn't taken well by everybody here. In fact it raised quite an uproar! The feeling at the "other", non official, French fan club at The World Is Stones have been mixed but some of us think that CDS are a bit too demanding and unrealistic. I tend to agree with that. There are fans, here and everywhere, who seem to prefer to live in the past to such an extent that they can't really appreciate what the Stones have to offer right now.

Anyway, it was just one critic, and Uncut was pretty positive, so no need to be gloomy -- or throw the whole French fan base to the dogs! We tend to be pretty crazy sometimes at TWIS, sometimes getting close to RO level!

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 7th, 2005 12:37 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I'm not letting one review get me negative about the album. Remeber that every other review has been largly positive. It's just such a French thing to do to be contrarian. Remember that quote from Mick concerning the French? He was refering to the Stones popularity vs the Beatles popularity. He said,and I quote,"Well the Beatles were always number one in every country in Europe except France. We were always number one in France,but you know? They're French."

So goes the French about everything from what I can tell. Very contrarian. No offense intended here,but it does have a ring of truth to it.

Riffhard

Complete bullshit. A French review can be more right than a review from let's say 'Uncut', a magazine that always has a certain affection for 'classic' bands. But we'll wait and see who's is right.

BTW: what do you mean with 'every other review' ?
August 7th, 2005 12:39 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Riffhard

Yeah, there's a bit of that, I guess! Never happy, except when we can complain!
August 7th, 2005 12:41 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Merci beaucoup!
August 7th, 2005 12:48 PM
T&A
quote:
jb wrote:

Give a accurrate review whether great, good, or bad. No bullshit. The only song I have listened to is SOL which sucks-anyone who thinks it's good, it kidding themsleves...it doesn't stack up against any of the Stones classic ballads.
So do us a favor, and be honest in your review.

JB is a great friend of mine
August 7th, 2005 12:49 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
T&A wrote:

JB is a great friend of mine

Sorry you are not on his list
August 7th, 2005 12:50 PM
T&A
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

A guy can lobby can't he?
August 7th, 2005 12:52 PM
jb
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

If the album(sans SOL) is good, you shall be added.........>
August 7th, 2005 12:54 PM
Riffhard
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Complete bullshit. A French review can be more right than a review from let's say 'Uncut', a magazine that always has a certain affection for 'classic' bands. But we'll wait and see who's is right.

BTW: what do you mean with 'every other review' ?

Hey lionboy what the hell are you talking about when you say complete bullshit? Are you saying that the French don't have a tendacy to be contrarian? Are you saying that it's bullshit for me not to take this one review too seriously? I have read at least three other reviews that were largly positive. I have also talked to several people at Virgin that were very pumped at the prospect of this being a very strong release. I have also talked to people that were at the private listening party in NYC,and they both said that it sounded great.

What exactly is the bullshit that you are refering to? God bless the French,but if you don't see the cotrarian side to them your blind. Reread Jagger's quote. That says it all right there. Also MonkeyWoman even laughs at it because she knows that there is a ring of truth to it,and she's French!

Riffhard
August 7th, 2005 12:58 PM
ListenToTheLion I am not French but it still remains bullshit! But I will give my opinion as soon as the album is out. I don't give a damn what others say. I rather trust my own ears.
And so far there is nothing to be exciting about.
August 7th, 2005 12:58 PM
T&A
quote:
jb wrote:

If the album(sans SOL) is good, you shall be added.........>

And will I be greeted?
August 7th, 2005 12:59 PM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:

And will I be greeted?

Yes.................
August 7th, 2005 01:00 PM
T&A
quote:
jb wrote:

Yes.................

Phew! This album better be da bomb!
August 7th, 2005 01:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
A French review on iorr.org was pretty negative. I hope you have better news, G.

the response to it was retarded in the extreme

some idiots dismissed it based on a nonsensical babelfish translation and slagged off the reviewer (because he was French and despite the fact he was a Stones fan) simply because he wasnt being orgasmic about an album THEY havent even heard yet!
[Edited by Gazza]
August 7th, 2005 01:20 PM
Riffhard
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
I am not French but it still remains bullshit! But I will give my opinion as soon as the album is out. I don't give a damn what others say. I rather trust my own ears.
And so far there is nothing to be exciting about.

Certainly your perogotive there,but there is nothing whatsoever bullshit about the post. What fucking "remains" bullshit?! My point is simple. One review that is negative,and all you whiners latch on to it. I don't because I have not heard the whole disk yet,but I think that Back of My Hand is very good,and Rough Justice is a raunchy piss and vinager rocker. If you can complain about those two you might as well just cash it in now. You're never gonna be happy.

The bitch keeps bitchin' I guess! It's so fucking pathetic to hear people whine about the new material. "The chord progression is non existant!","Simple fucking blues tune!","No originality! Jagger even rips himself off ripping Muddy off during the 'Oh Yeahs!'","Ronnie can't play!","Keith has lost his inspiration!","Mick is ruining a great legacy!"

Here's an idea.How about a big steaming mug of-Shut the fuck up. The Stones have been at it for 43 fucking years. They owe me nothing,and I for one, like two of three tunes that I have heard thus far. So I refuse to allow one negative review affect my anticipation of this album. Some people seem to be anxiously awaiting the trashing of this album. I don't get it at all.

Riffhard

PS-and YES the French are contrarian. Nothing wrong with that I guess,but to say otherwise only proves you know nothing of the nature of French people. They readily admit to it,and seem almost proud of the fact. I find it funny that they can laugh at themselves about it. Jagger's quote say it best I think,and he loves the French.
August 7th, 2005 01:38 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:

Give a accurrate review whether great, good, or bad. No bullshit. The only song I have listened to is SOL which sucks-anyone who thinks it's good, it kidding themsleves...it doesn't stack up against any of the Stones classic ballads.
So do us a favor, and be honest in your review.

Josh, I can't believe you still haven't listened to Rough Justice..... come on... please... give it a try man... you ain't gonna regret... I swear .....
August 7th, 2005 01:41 PM
jb
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Josh, I can't believe you still haven't listened to Rough Justice..... come on... please... give it a try man... you ain't gonna regret... I swear .....

I am going to Boston nonetheless as the people need me...................I hope they play "Memory" and "MR" as people will become emotionally charged during the 'Boston" lines...........................................We love Joey!!!
August 7th, 2005 01:53 PM
Monster Will you greet these two?

August 7th, 2005 01:58 PM
ListenToTheLion [quote]Certainly your perogotive there,but there is nothing whatsoever bullshit about the post. What fucking "remains" bullshit?! [unquote]

Let's stick to the facts. You said the negative review was due to the fact it was a French review. That is and remains bullshit. I never said the French review is right or wrong. I just said: I'll trust my own ears. I am not negative but so far I am not very enthusiastic either. Is that allowed? I'll give my definite opinion (negative or positive) as soon as the album is out. That's all. Don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill.
August 7th, 2005 02:09 PM
jb
quote:
Monster wrote:
Will you greet these two?

Yes...David Hasselhoff , the former star of Young and the Restless", NightRider, and off course BayWatch , is a multi-gazillionaire who routinely sells out stadiums in Germany and has sold more records there then the Stones.
Gary"Watcha talkin bout" Coleman , beloved child star of 'Different Strokes, and former mall security guard, are people I can relate to.
August 7th, 2005 02:19 PM
Riffhard Hey Lion,I never said that the review was negative because the reviewer was French. I merely pointed out the fact that at times the French can be contrarian,and that may have played a part in the negativity. It was merely a joke based on some funny truths. I also said the same thing that you said regarding hearing the album for myself first. I will judge this album based on my own ears,and will not let one negative review affect my anticipation of it. My main point though was that most reviews that I have read have been positive. Plus people who's judgment I trust have heard it,and they said many good things. So that has me hopeful. Again,though,like you I will be my own judge.

You don't like Rough Justice or BOMH? I think those two are both great throwback tunes,and I have been waiting for them to release songs like these for a long time.

I have always found that Stones albums/tunes tend to grow on me as the years go by. I was hooked on Rough Justice and BOMH from the first listen though. So that has me really excited about the rest of the disk. I hope the line in that review about overproduction is bullshit,but I know that that has plauged some of the Stones recent work ala parts of BTB. However,Rough Justice and BOMH seem to mixed quite nicely to my ears. So we will have to wait and see.

Riffhard
August 7th, 2005 02:28 PM
T&A
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I have always found that Stones albums/tunes tend to grow on me as the years go by. I was hooked on Rough Justice and BOMH from the first listen though. So that has me really excited about the rest of the disk. I

Riffhard

It does tend to work both ways with me, though. Songs that seemed great on first listen sometimes I weary with repeated listenings. I think BOMH will sustain - but RJ and ONNYA don't sound like they have "legs" to me. Time Will Tell (just happens to be the Black Crowes song I'm listening to at the moment - so I thot I'd toss that in there).
August 7th, 2005 03:51 PM
egon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

August 7th, 2005 04:03 PM
BlindLemon Hi,
just a bit of philological information: the concluding sentence about Bush in the review was added by the guy who pasted in from Babelfish, as a joke. It's not in the original review of course That was part of the the great trans-Atlantic conflict going on at the IORR board. Just 'cause some people were wondering about this sentence earlier in this thread.
Ciao,
August 7th, 2005 04:24 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Hi,
just a bit of philological information: the concluding sentence about Bush in the review was added by the guy who pasted in from Babelfish, as a joke. It's not in the original review of course That was part of the the great trans-Atlantic conflict going on at the IORR board. Just 'cause some people were wondering about this sentence earlier in this thread.
Ciao,

A joke, eh? Thanks for the info, BL! That's crazy... Waiting for the album is making us weird...

"I see Goyas, paranoias"
August 7th, 2005 05:46 PM
time is on my side
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Hi,
Ciao,

Hey, thanks for the information. When I copied the review I couln't tell but thought that it might me someone's political opinion. I've removed it from my post as it shouldn't make any difference whether you hate Bush or love him; the music should stand or fall on it's own merits and be removed from all of this political nonsense. I've got strong opinions myself (very much against Bush) but whose opinion or mind am I going to change on message boards like these???? It's great to live in a world where people have different opinions- who would want to live in a world where everyone shared the same opinion as themselves??? To me that would be a pretty dull and boring place.

As far as the review, it really doesn't matter what other people think or say. It all ultimately is going to come down to what each listener thinks for themselves. Music is highly subjective. You are going to find people who will hate it and will dimiss it as unworthy of the STONES and then you will find people who will love it calling it one of their best efforts.

Critical determinations of music is formed by a consensus opinion given over a period of time and only after a number of reviews have been published. It's not determined by instant analysis or judgements whether they be highly favorable or highly negative. As someone said above, only time will tell.

With that being said, as one who has not heard the album and will not hear it until it is actually released, I'm very anxious to hear what Voodoo's opinion is and what his ideas may be when hearing this album. I look upon him as a highly respected source of information. As more and more opinions are known and more and more reviews are made public, the consensus opinion will begin to form.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 7th, 2005 06:36 PM
Monkey Woman Words of wisdom, time.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)