ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What do you think of this? (ZERO Stones Content) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
14th June 2004 12:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot I came across this recently. It got me to wondering about it's assertions. I won't bias anyone by saying the name of the author or the name of the publication that it came from. Just think about the validity of the statement, and let me know what you think. I will make no comment on this thread myself, as I do not want to color opinion one way or the other. I'm looking for an honest reaction, free of bias.

"The people are gradually being threatened with a loss of quality, assertion of identity, and self-preservation drive. Internationalism is triumphing and eroding the value of our people, and a nasty pacifist sewage is ultimately poisoning the mindset of bold self-preservation. We see the effects of human vices appearing everywhere in the life of our people. Not only in the area of political concerns-no, also in the economic area, and last but not least, a downward slide is noticeable in our cultural life. If this descent is not halted, our people will no longer be able to be counted among those nations with a promising future.

Reducing these general aspects of decay should be the great domestic task of the future. The goal of this domestic policy must ultimately be the regaining of our people's strength to carry out our struggle for survival, and thus the strength to represent our vital interests to the outside world."
14th June 2004 12:50 PM
telecaster I was dragged to "Stepford Wives" this weekend

Don't go. Use whatever means you have to in order to avoid this movie
14th June 2004 12:52 PM
Monkeytonkman Sounds like something Ted Nugent would Say HA!
14th June 2004 01:28 PM
caro I think the guy mixed up plenty of things that have nothing to do with each other. For example, political and cultural life do have connections, but it's not like they follow the same patterns or move in the same direction.

Other than that, there's nothing new in there, IMO. When you're having a hard time, you have to find new ways to cope with life, and it sure makes you more interesting and lively as a person, or as a nation. The author obviously thinks that the nation in question (the US?) need to make a new set of foes in oder to get their collective asses in gear. That strikes me as quite a dumb solution. Internationalism is IMO one of the best ideas of the last 1000 years, and there's no reason why a multicultural society should make any people lose their "value". It's an ongoing debate in France too : people say we're losing our identity by becoming a part of Europe, or by letting immigrants in.

To me, this is a false problem : of course the countries are losing much of their importance in the process. But you don't need to define your identity through a country. There's loads of different ways to build communities. I feel much more like a european student than like a french citizen right now. Paris is not my hometown, but I feel at home here because there's plenty of european students. I don't feel like I lost my identity. And for me and the people around me, the challenge of "the nation's self-preservation" was replaced by the challenge(s) of finding a job, learning new languages, or trying to figure out how to take advantage of the European Union's possibilities. It's not as romantic as dying for one's country, you bet. But I prefer it that way. For me, the goal is to be happy, and if that means there won't be no breakthrough inventions, revolutions or cultural movements in my generation, so be it.

Hope I'm being relatively clear here...
14th June 2004 01:29 PM
Bloozehound I rented "Mystic River" & thought it was rediculous. And after all the hype it got.

Clint's last film Blood Work was better and it sucked.
14th June 2004 01:34 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Monkeytonkman wrote:
Sounds like something Ted Nugent would Say HA!

The 'Nuge has a pretty cool reality show now, I've watched it a few times and it's pretty funny.
14th June 2004 01:35 PM
Some Guy I got a free Weekend at Bernies DVD with my large pizza from Papa Johns. Funny movie!
14th June 2004 01:54 PM
Joey

.............And the Moon ................Rose ....................Over An Open Field .

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Kurcee !
14th June 2004 02:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, I guess that tells me what I needed to know.

There can no longer be any kind of real discussion on this board without it being dragged into stupidsville.

To the friends I've made here over the years...I'll keep in touch.

To the rest of you assholes...have fun destroying what is left of the board.

Goodnight, and good bye.
14th June 2004 02:10 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well, I guess that tells me what I needed to know.

There can no longer be any kind of real discussion on this board without it being dragged into stupidsville.

Goodnight, and good bye.

14th June 2004 02:11 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Joey wrote:

14th June 2004 02:12 PM
caro Well yeah, it's kind of frustrating sometimes. Actually, I would've loved to hear your opinion, SS.
14th June 2004 02:14 PM
Joey
quote:
caro wrote:
Well yeah, it's kind of frustrating sometimes. Actually, I would've loved to hear your opinion, SS.

...are you serious ?!?!?!
14th June 2004 02:15 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Joey wrote:

...are you serious ?!?!?!

14th June 2004 02:20 PM
Joey
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

14th June 2004 02:24 PM
caro >...are you serious ?!?!?!

Um, yes...it's hard to follow one's thoughts when you have, like, one on-topic post drowned in the middle of 20 off-topic posts. I mean, even if someone's gonna make a joke in response to someone else's post, the joke gets lost because there's 20 smilies in the middle that just break the rythm of the thread... This being said, you can do whatever you like as far as I'm concerned, I always find interesting stuff to read here anyway, so I'm not complaining.
14th June 2004 02:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
caro wrote:
>...are you serious ?!?!?!

Um, yes...it's hard to follow one's thoughts when you have, like, one on-topic post drowned in the middle of 20 off-topic posts. I mean, even if someone's gonna make a joke in response to someone else's post, the joke gets lost because there's 20 smilies in the middle that just break the rythm of the thread... This being said, you can do whatever you like as far as I'm concerned, I always find interesting stuff to read here anyway, so I'm not complaining.

Well, sometimes things can get out of control. I mean I know I do sometimes. Sir Stonesalot is one of my favorite posters and I hope he reconsiders. I watched part of a "Gunsmoke-a-thon" on TV land yesterday. The was an episode where Matt Dillon got his shooting arm shot. And he turned in his badge. He quit being the Marshall of Dodge City. There's just SOME things a person can't walk away from.
14th June 2004 02:41 PM
Joey " I always find interesting stuff to read here anyway, so I'm not complaining. "

I would like to nuzzle you .
14th June 2004 02:54 PM
Bloozehound
14th June 2004 02:58 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well, I guess that tells me what I needed to know.

Goodnight, and good bye.

Please don't allow this to upset you...you're much stronger than that!

Here's my motto SS...hope it helps.
Or at least, makes ya laugh

"Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it." and please don't forget, at some point during every single day, we all have to deal with one or two... "
14th June 2004 03:06 PM
LadyJane I agree, Pammy!

SS..you've told me on so many occasions to ignore the "idiots"..you are a beloved regular. This place is a zoo these days. I attribute it to lack of Stones news.

Please reconsider...as Pam said...you are above this nonsense.

LJ.
14th June 2004 03:13 PM
Joey " Please reconsider...as Pam said...you are above this nonsense. "

Amen !

14th June 2004 04:14 PM
Joey " I want his handle and avatar. "

Dibs on Mel Belli's Handle / Avatar .............
14th June 2004 04:21 PM
Nellcote Hey, for what it's worth. It always seems this place disintergrates when it comes to politics. In my early days here, I got in the quicksand, when I should have known better. I come to this place for the Stones 411, and have been trying to stick to it. Maybe that's the cure? Or, maybe an understanding that when it comes to politics, you loose once you post about it, or open your mouth to discuss it.

SS, if you are gone, I've enjoyed the back and forth you always give, you have opinions which are 360 from mine, however, that's what makes the world go around. You got me rockin to some new music which I never would have known about, as I tend to stealth towards "deadman rock" more than new music.

And now, back to your regular programming....
14th June 2004 04:29 PM
Joey " SS, if you are gone, I've enjoyed the back and forth you always give, you have opinions which are 360 from mine, however, that's what makes the world go around. You got me rockin to some new music which I never would have known about, as I tend to stealth towards "deadman rock" more than new music. "

Trust Me , the guy is FAR from gone ....................after all , where is he gonna go ?!?!?!

Keno's Board ?!?!?!

{ CA - RACK }

Triple Ronnie !

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

D. J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !

14th June 2004 04:32 PM
Lazy Bones Interesting comments. The original ones...

It would be nice to see who said this and when.

I would, however, like to know what nation has a 'promising future'. Promising in terms of what? Wealth? Health? Culture? Environmental?

Please, tell us/me.
14th June 2004 04:35 PM
Joey Lazy Bones ..............................

Ever been " Privy to an Explanation " ?!?!?!?!

No ?!?!?! Well , I sure have ................and I STILL don't understand it !

Now , if all of you will please excuse me , I desperately need to pee .

************** END TRANSMISSION ***********

Sureskee Jerskee !
14th June 2004 04:37 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:
" SS, if you are gone, I've enjoyed the back and forth you always give, you have opinions which are 360 from mine, however, that's what makes the world go around. You got me rockin to some new music which I never would have known about, as I tend to stealth towards "deadman rock" more than new music. "

Trust Me , the guy is FAR from gone ....................after all , where is he gonna go ?!?!?!

Keno's Board ?!?!?!

{ CA - RACK }

Triple Ronnie !

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

D. J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !

triple { CA - RACK } !!!

[Edited by not bound to please]
14th June 2004 04:39 PM
Joey

Lamby ?!?!

LAMBY ?!?!?!?!

Don't forget about " Simon and Garfunkel " in two weeks ......................promises to be Killer .

But Fleetwood Mac is DEFINITELY off as Stevie Nick's " Raspy Purr " has not been up to her usual standards on this current leg of the tour .

Sassy !

14th June 2004 04:42 PM
not bound to please I'd NEVER forget. Check out the emoticon! Just got it to work...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6