ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What do you think of this? (ZERO Stones Content) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
16th June 2004 01:24 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
I say DON'T stick around if all you're going to do is complain all the time... I think the majority of people here are intelligent, actually (as I think a large majority of Stones fans are after having met a lot!!!), but maybe don't come to message boards to discuss certain subjects because they don't WANT to... It's that simple and I KNOW I'm intelligent but have, basically, NEVER been interested in politics but know more, I would say, than at LEAST most people here about psychology, etc., which is a subject I'm interested in, etc... I, myself, like to come here to read the articles, look at the pix, read some Stones discussions (but mainly the articles and pix) and read funny threads!!! lol............. I would think each person comes here for their own reasons, I think, and that's cool, IMHO... I was going to reply to SS's post until he started attacking, etc., but why bother now?!?!?!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]

Goodnight MarthaMyDear !

Hope you had a Happy B-Day !!

[Edited by Bloozehound]
16th June 2004 01:30 AM
MarthaMyDear Yes, I did and, er, I am rendered, uh, speechless!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
16th June 2004 01:33 AM
Taptrick

- I've seen the quote before (or paraphrases thereof)
- I've heard "I'm going to leave" threat from many
- I have seen political debates on the board
- I've only seen the elitist "my opinion is fact" come from one direction
16th June 2004 07:49 AM
beer i hope Sir Stonesalot doesn't leave. i wouldn't want any of the regulars to stop posting here. I think he brings some great stuff to this board, and it'd be a bummer if he left.

Whats the reason for leaving anyway? the silly nonsense? i think this board has the perfect mix of silly nonsense and good Stones info. and that's one of the reasons Rocks Off is the absolute best Stones site.
16th June 2004 07:53 AM
egon
quote:
beer wrote:
and that's one of the reasons Rocks Off is the absolute best Stones site.

let's not forget the drinking thread!
16th June 2004 08:18 AM
beer Egon my friend, EVERY single time i go to the grocery store, i look at the Heineken sale. it makes me think of you!

As a matter of fact, i'm drinkin it right now.
16th June 2004 09:27 AM
Joey " To watch Joey & JB flood the board with stupidity? That may be entertaining to Michelle...but it bores the daylights out of me. "

YOU MAKE JOEY WEEP AND SHIT LIQUID !!!!!!!!!! WHY ?!?!

WHY ?!?! ..........................

.....and then ........Depression set in Ronnie !

( Cue Bernstein Music [ re: The Movie " Stripes " , circa 1981 ] )

" Oh , Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Kurcee Joe Joe !
16th June 2004 09:35 AM
not bound to please Happy Bloomsday Joey!

16th June 2004 09:39 AM
Gazza >i hope Sir Stonesalot doesn't leave. i wouldn't want any of the regulars to stop posting here. I think he brings some great stuff to this board, and it'd be a bummer if he left.
Whats the reason for leaving anyway? the silly nonsense? i think this board has the perfect mix of silly nonsense and good Stones info

I agree. I dont like to see anyone who's contributed to this site (and SS is definitely in that category) leave and I hope he doesnt.

I do think however theres far too much hijacking of threads so I can see his point. Its annoying to see a thread on something music-related start with 3 or 4 sensible posts and then see it descend into inanity with 30 posts of off topic bullshit. theres a time and a place for non-Stones stuff but within a thread aimed at the subject we're supoosed to be here for isnt it. If youre going to post something self indulgent, do it in a separate thread and stick "(NSC)" on it so those who cant be bothered reading it can avoid it. It may be funny for a while,but then it becomes tiresome and distracting and too much of it makes this place look like a joke and a site full of cliques. More to the point, it's putting people off posting anything sensible because they know it's going to be hijacked.

I mean, even last week a friend of Gerardo's posted a message in Spanish telling us he'd been injured in a car crash. Rather than have someone try and translate whether or not the guy who has built this site up from nothing was Ok or not,it got hijacked into an inane thread of pseudo- Spanish in-jokes. I've even seen obituaries hijacked before being obliged to delete the offending posts. And don't get me started on the political stuff. Some people only seem to post when its on THAT subject which makes me wonder why theyre here to begin with.

I think some posters need to cut out the self-indulgent "look at me" crap and think of other people once in a while and how other people and potential posters view this site. I'll admit that a quiet time Stones-wise youre going to get more off topic stuff and we all need a lot of humour, but theres a time and a place for everything.
16th June 2004 10:04 AM
not bound to please SS - you've done this in the past a few times that I can recall, and I don't read these boards for months on end, and only certain threads, mostly off topic as you know. I believe DL is doing the same thing ("I'm leaving, I mean it this time!")over at Kenos right now. I don't get it. Why ARE you so serious? Sorry if my taking the piss offended you - but good grief - lighten up! The very nature of these messageboards is founded upon an absurdity, and a Rolling Stones messageboard with a bunch of adults posting regularly is only slightly less absurd than an Elton John one. Ever consider it's your lack of humor that got this going? Even corgi seems to have caught on and has become less "serious". It's a hint.... Doesn't that suit of armor do anything to protect your thin skin? This is like a Socratic marketplace. You can find whatever you want and sell whatever you want. Since you've seemed to set up a whine stall, may I ask what's the best vintage?

Perhaps you'd be happier setting up a blog. You'd have more control. I personally find them quite dull. The dialectic, the interaction, which by it's nature implies lack of control of one individual (unless it's a webmaster being the governmental puppetmaster by deleting and monitoring content)- is what a forum is about. Perhaps the response you got was exactly what happens when someone obviously baits the group. Did you really think that original post was going to get an intelligent discussion going? Personally - I think the response it got is your answer - not to the overt point, or the covert secondary one, but to something you cannot control. That you cannot control.

I like you and all, but why do you want/need a bunch of people to beg you to stay? What's going on?

16th June 2004 10:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
The very nature of these messageboards is founded upon an absurdity, and a Rolling Stones messageboard with a bunch of adults posting regularly is only slightly less absurd than an Elton John one.

Absurd??? How so?
16th June 2004 10:56 AM
jb I did not post in this thread until now b/c I had a feeling that SS was looking for an excuse to leave this site...I did not want to be his "excuse" as usual for all of his unhappiness with the board. I was pleased to see he had reasons other than simply Joey and my "hijacking" threads. Nonetheless, it comes as no surprise as it was apparent to anyone that SS was displeased with the direction the board was taking. As Gazza pointed out, during tour "inactivity" all of the boards tend to get sillier as there simply is very little "stones news" to discuss. The fact that people are not overwhelmingly interested in a Dylan thread or other non-stone performers shouldn't surprise SS as most people here are die-hard stones fans. As far as politics, there seems to be just as many liberals as there are conservatives and no one is being "silenced".
I agree with Gazza that sometimes the "pranks" go too far when they interefere with legitimate posts...however, as MarthaMyDear pointed out, this board has just the right mix of pertinent Stones information as well as just plain "craziness" which makes this site unlike the others.
Believe me, it has not been the easiest times for me on many different levels, and my escape to this board has provided a great outlet.....There are great people here willing to talk to you, amuse you, and help you when in need.
I am sorry that SS is leaving as he was the guy who got me started with my boot collection and despite our differences, I shall remain forever greatful to him for that. However, if he(SS) really is that unhappy here, maybe he should take a break and come back when the tour starts, or atleast after Joey and I hit 10k....I think things will be more to his liking at such time.
[Edited by jb]
16th June 2004 11:20 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I got a free Weekend at Bernies DVD with my large pizza from Papa Johns. Funny movie!

Dude, I was just playing!
16th June 2004 11:25 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Absurd??? How so?

Are you serious?

16th June 2004 11:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Are you serious?

Of course not. How you could even entertain such a thought?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
16th June 2004 11:44 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Of course not. How you could even entertain such a thought?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Good - I was worried!

ps to Martha - it's extremely bad net manners to post people's names if they don't use them. SS doesn't know that I guess.

I miss your emoticons. The only thing I didn't like was when they made the page too wide and then you had to scroll back and forth to read every other post.

16th June 2004 11:46 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Dude, I was just playing!

Your avatar is second only to Bloozehound's in ugliness.

16th June 2004 11:49 AM
Some Guy
quote:

Your avatar is second only to Bloozehound's in ugliness.

Thanks Dawg
16th June 2004 11:50 AM
jb I am going to buy a huge home in Boca and if some of you come to Florida for the next tour, you are welcome to stay....
16th June 2004 11:53 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Thanks Dawg

Although Bloozehound's is uglier - it's ugly in a good way. Yours is just sort of lame.

In fact - I believe it's the lamest avatar I've ever seen here....

16th June 2004 11:53 AM
Some Guy
quote:

Although Bloozehound's is uglier - it's ugly in a good way. Yours is just sort of lame.

In fact - I believe it's the lamest avatar I've ever seen here....
You da man!

16th June 2004 11:55 AM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:
I am going to buy a huge home in Boca and if some of you come to Florida for the next tour, you are welcome to stay....

But won't it be crowded when they move the state of Israel in?

16th June 2004 11:56 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Not as lame as your replies!

16th June 2004 11:57 AM
Some Guy
quote:

Not as lame as your replies!

Thats it I'm leaving
16th June 2004 11:58 AM
jb Jews make up a large segment of Boca Raton ....
16th June 2004 12:02 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Thats it I'm leaving

If only it was that easy!!!!

Josh - tell me you are still planning to do your part to solve the mid east crisis...afterall - your house should be big enough!

16th June 2004 12:02 PM
Some Guy
quote:

If only it was that easy!!!!

Josh - tell me you are still planning to do your part to solve the mid east crisis...afterall - your house should be big enough!

I like you.
16th June 2004 12:04 PM
jb I like you to 'Some Guy"..you remind me of another good guy that use to post here named "Boomhauer".
16th June 2004 12:06 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
I like you to 'Some Guy"..you remind me of another good guy that use to post here named "Boomhauer".

didn't he make the transition?
16th June 2004 12:06 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I like you.

I'd like you better if you got an even dumber avatar!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6