ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Redigging on A Bigger Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
8th June 2006 11:47 AM
F505
quote:
egon wrote:
it's good to here...

It's good to be here or it's good to hear????
[Edited by F505]
8th June 2006 11:48 AM
egon ha ha

both really!
8th June 2006 11:57 AM
Gazza The 3 songs Ihavelotsofjam mentioned simply arent very good by Stones standards. And with apologies to the late Billy Preston, 'Melody' is weaker than any of them. Their musical style is irrelevant. As said above, at 8 songs, its too short an album to have much left once you get past the weaker songs that take up much of it.

Hot Stuff may be fun and terrific to dance to, but Dance Pt 2 and Everything is turning to Gold are more danceable than most of whats on Black and Blue.

Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are both good solid rockers (although the latter sounds more like the Faces copying the Stones), but certainly not as good as most of the rockers on Some Girls.

Memory Motel, though, is the real jewel on that album.

8th June 2006 11:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
A big part of the genius of Some Girls, and the part almost everyone overlooks, is in the biting lyrics.
THe second part is in the simplicity of the songs, which thankfully separated them from the self-imploding 'classic rock' bands of the time.

absolutely spot-on on both counts.

"Some Girls" as an album is Jagger's high water mark as a lyricist, which elevates it even higher into the pantheon of essential Stones albums IMO.
8th June 2006 12:05 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The 3 songs Ihavelotsofjam mentioned simply arent very good by Stones standards. And with apologies to the late Billy Preston, 'Melody' is weaker than any of them. Their musical style is irrelevant. As said above, at 8 songs, its too short an album to have much left once you get past the weaker songs that take up much of it.

Hot Stuff may be fun and terrific to dance to, but Dance Pt 2 and Everything is turning to Gold are more danceable than most of whats on Black and Blue.

Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are both good solid rockers (although the latter sounds more like the Faces copying the Stones), but certainly not as good as most of the rockers on Some Girls.

Memory Motel, though, is the real jewel on that album.

I think all the songs on Black and Blue are very good by Stones standards. The 'problem' might be that B&B is not a common Stones record as you might expect. But just because of that it's very surprising. It's a true masterpiece because the Stones have explored their roots on a very soulful way. The Hand of Fate and Melody belong to their best songs ever.
8th June 2006 12:23 PM
Some Guy Black and Blue is huge! A few years ago a buddy of mine(hates Stones) was turned on to B&B by me, weeks later on his boat he had bought the cd and played it a lot. He(loves Stones) began to get into more Stones.
8th June 2006 12:46 PM
PeerQueer I don't fault a Stones album released in 2005 sounding different than ones released decades earlier...

I don't fuck like I did 20 years ago, and neither should they...

Bigger Bang is solid.

Infamy is gold baby - Gold!
8th June 2006 12:54 PM
Some Guy Infamy is gold baby - Gold!

I really like that one too- I almost feel guilty jamming to it for some reason.
8th June 2006 01:01 PM
PeerQueer [quote]Some Guy wrote:
Infamy is gold baby - Gold!

I really like that one too- I almost feel guilty jamming to it for some reason.

It is a GREAT Keith track! It will hold up very well over time - like many of his tunes do. They go unnoticed for years until some movie or TV series picks it up and uses it and suddenly folks are amazed at what a great song it is.

If VIRGIN wasn't such a lame-ass company, Infamy could have been a solid hit for the band. (Not sure if Mick would have allowed that though...)

Warm weather, the top down, and Infamy playing loud...that is a great day!
8th June 2006 04:22 PM
mmdog
Agree on Infamy. I think Mick is a big part of it. The Harmonica is really missed on the live versions. Also nice to have Jagger signing backup on a Richards' song.
8th June 2006 05:44 PM
Saint Sway the crap on Bigger Bang does not pass for rock.

I was completely unaware that we had so many Rob Thomas fans here.
8th June 2006 05:48 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the crap on Bigger Bang does not pass for rock.

I was completely unaware that we had so many Rob Thomas fans here.

greeting status shaky
8th June 2006 06:10 PM
Saint Sway There are truely awful songs on this album. A bigger collection of them than at any other Stones album. these songs suck worse than the worst sucking songs in Stones history.

here is how they fail to even stack up against the crappiest songs I can think of

Infamy, LWTCDI, RFD, Sweet NeoCon < Back To Zero

DTF < Winning Ugly

She Saw Me Coming < She's The Boss

SOL, Biggest Mistake, Let Me Down Slow < Visions Of Paradise
8th June 2006 06:26 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
There are truely awful songs on this album. A bigger collection of them than at any other Stones album. these songs suck worse than the worst sucking songs in Stones history.

here is how they fail to even stack up against the crappiest songs I can think of

DTF < Winning Ugly

dude that is harsh, but you atleast respecting ONNYA which is sweet.
8th June 2006 06:55 PM
PeerQueer [quote]Saint Sway wrote:
There are truely awful songs on this album. A bigger collection of them than at any other Stones album. these songs suck worse than the worst sucking songs in Stones history.

You sir, are a moron.
8th June 2006 07:34 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

DTF < Winning Ugly

Excuding this songs we have Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Back Of My Hand, This Place Is Empty, ONNYA, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died and the two b-sides.
8-9 killer tracks, much better than any other band out there.
8th June 2006 07:40 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Excuding this songs we have Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Back Of My Hand, This Place Is Empty, ONNYA, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died and the two b-sides.

Post of the week!
9th June 2006 01:03 AM
Egbert Saint Sway < A Bigger Bang
9th June 2006 01:17 AM
glencar saint sway < dog shit
9th June 2006 01:29 AM
Navin Sorry to say these words to 'Black and Blue' fans...but "Memory Motel" sounds like the Eagles to me (right from the first time I heard it)...I'm not really familiar with Eagles stuff, but especially that part, with Keith going "she got a mind of her own..." and "Sha-la-laa" is the sound of FM radio/AOR/whatever...also, neither Wood nor Keith were on guitars on this song (not to forget this album was recorded from the auditions for a guitar player)

"Melody" comes close to being unbearable....under that same category at second place is "Cherry Oh Baby"

"Fool to Cry" is their worst ballad, and as everyone knows it, Keith even fell asleep playing it live. "Hot Stuff" is simply lazy.

"Hand of Fate", "Negrita", and "Crazy Mama" show some promise, but are almost mid-tempo and never take off like the typical Stones rocker should.

The best thing about the album is the cover...and perfectly represents the group visually - Bill and Charlie in the background, the classic rhythm section - and in the forefront, Keith on the right with Ronnie coming in stage left and into the band. Mick is beautiful and so are his lips.
9th June 2006 03:16 AM
IanBillen
Black and Blue was a "transitional album" as my friend Mr. WGW Walsh once said. It made Miss You, and Emotional Resque, and some B side Tattoo You possible.

More ABB Testimony from a skeptacle fan:

I played all of A bigger Bang for a friend who is 24 and was saying how he does not care as much for newer Stones:

Verdict:
A Bigger Bang "shocked" him as he put it. He said "I am actually shocked at this album." He knows most all Stones albums and was "very impressed". He just listened to it for the first time.

He said you can't beat it and also went onto say how solid it is. He says he would reccommend it to Stones fans and even non-Stones fans alike because it does not fail in any area.

He does not really care for BTB or Voodoo but says ABB is the kind of Stones that he loves to hear. He said "now that's good Stones". His girlfriend is a semi-Stones fan that said it was surprisingly good and exceeded what she expected.

I am tellin you A Bigger Bang is spot on. In time to come it will only gain more and more credibility than it even already has gotten.

Ian

9th June 2006 09:40 AM
Some Guy
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Black and Blue was a "transitional album" as my friend Mr. WGW Walsh once said. It made Miss You, and Emotional Resque, and some B side Tattoo You possible.

More ABB Testimony from a skeptacle fan:

I played all of A bigger Bang for a friend who is 24 and was saying how he does not care as much for newer Stones:

Verdict:
A Bigger Bang "shocked" him as he put it. He said "I am actually shocked at this album." He knows most all Stones albums and was "very impressed". He just listened to it for the first time.

He said you can't beat it and also went onto say how solid it is. He says he would reccommend it to Stones fans and even non-Stones fans alike because it does not fail in any area.

He does not really care for BTB or Voodoo but says ABB is the kind of Stones that he loves to hear. He said "now that's good Stones". His girlfriend is a semi-Stones fan that said it was surprisingly good and exceeded what she expected.

I am tellin you A Bigger Bang is spot on. In time to come it will only gain more and more credibility than it even already has gotten.

Ian

keep up the good work
9th June 2006 09:52 AM
Nellcote I helped out at a senior citizen pasta supper last night, as a volunteer.
The red wine found me.
ABB found the car cd player.
Press play.
Rough Justice brought back Summer of '05...
Fifth row @ Fenway, being with several other RO's, as well as the other five shows in that month.
ABB still does it for me, in a big way.
Those who are gearing up for the Euro Tour-Enjoy!
It will be WICKED PISSAH!~
9th June 2006 10:35 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

You can't exlcude LMDS. I dont care what Saint Sway says, it's the best song on the album, catchiest one, best played.
9th June 2006 11:22 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

DTF < Winning Ugly

IS'NT THERE A CROWES MESSAGE BOARD YOU CAN POLLUTE?
9th June 2006 01:30 PM
Saint Sway I was very dissapointed by A Bigger Bang.

I dont like it. Sorry.

I love the Stones. I wish I heard in it whatever it is that all of you do because I really want to like it. I wished it rocked my world and we could all high five about LWTCDI.

I've tried. Sorry, but I just cant agree with everyone here about how good it is.

9th June 2006 01:37 PM
Some Guy If you play A Bigger Bang backwards you hear Emotional Rescue.
9th June 2006 02:09 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I wished it rocked my world and we could all high five about LWTCDI.

What, you don't dig INXS???
9th June 2006 02:51 PM
Saint Sway exactly.
9th June 2006 02:54 PM
Saint Sway theres some good tracks on it. Basically the stuff the pre-released and teased us with. I loved those songs (RJ, ONNYA, BOMH, IWTL) - still do - and was so stoked to hear the rest. But the rest really knocked the wind from my sails. I cant put in words what a huge dissapointment it was.

I'm sorry people get ticked that I say it sucks. I really wanted to love the record. I just dont. Sorry y'all.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)