ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Redigging on A Bigger Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th June 2006 07:35 AM
F505 The Stones as a classic-album-producing-band died with Black and Blue their last masterpiece. All their albums after B&B haven't got the golden status anymore. Of course there are some great occasional songs on several albums but the real splendour has gone since the seventies. A Bigger Bang is nevertheless a solid album and the best effort they can make these days. Compared to albums of U2, Springsteen, Prince or any other famous artist/band it passes the test with flying colours.
7th June 2006 08:09 AM
Some Guy I have never heard Under The Radar, is it worth it to buy that newer Bang?
7th June 2006 08:11 AM
corgi37 Oh Ian, i am totally becoming your biggest fan. Your post tell it like it is.

I ditched ABB for ages. Just didnt seem right to have new stuff after 8 years. I played most of it last week, and really liked it. LWTCDI is a gem and has me fucked why they didnt at least try it live.

Same with the lame-o SOL. Crappy and pappy, but they do that shit well (akin to out of tears and almost hear you sigh). Live, while maybe it would have been smoke time for most of us, i thought SOL could have been good. A nice sing a long for the chicks, and if Keef tossed in some cool licks (ala Fool to cry) he could have toughened it up a bit.

Good cover too.
7th June 2006 08:48 AM
Some Guy If Bang was released in the 70's- instant classic!
7th June 2006 08:49 AM
F505
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
If Bang was released in the 70's- instant classic!

Don't think so...
7th June 2006 09:07 AM
Jumacfly I have to put this cd again in the player to see if my opinion have changed.

It will be very hard to play ABB after my own "stadium arcadium" compilation, which is IMHFO a real modern RNR record.

I'll let you know dear RO fellas.
7th June 2006 09:30 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
F505 wrote:
The Stones as a classic-album-producing-band died with Black and Blue their last masterpiece. All their albums after B&B haven't got the golden status anymore.

Hilarious statement. Some Girls beats the shit out of a lot of their 60s stuff, let alone the overrated should-be-an-EP Black and Blue.
7th June 2006 09:37 AM
StickyFishFingers ABB is a great album for a bunch of old rock n rollers. LWTCDI is so cool - I totally dig the drums on that track. It kinda reminds me of Undercover.
7th June 2006 09:42 AM
Nellcote It's The Stones, dammit.
All others are lost in the abyss.
ABB still on heavy rotation at the Fantasy Fufillment Palace!
7th June 2006 09:52 AM
Some Guy On shuffle it is exciting.
7th June 2006 10:01 PM
IanBillen [quote]corgi37 wrote:
Oh Ian, i am totally becoming your biggest fan. Your post tell it like it is.

I ditched ABB for ages. Just didnt seem right to have new stuff after 8 years. I played most of it last week, and really liked it. LWTCDI is a gem and has me fucked why they didnt at least try it live.

Same with the lame-o SOL. Crappy and pappy, but they do that shit well (akin to out of tears and almost hear you sigh). Live, while maybe it would have been smoke time for most of us, i thought SOL could have been good. A nice sing a long for the chicks, and if Keef tossed in some cool licks (ala Fool to cry) he could have toughened it up a bit.

Good cover too.

You know it Brother.

Ian
7th June 2006 11:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Hilarious statement. Some Girls beats the shit out of a lot of their 60s stuff, let alone the overrated should-be-an-EP Black and Blue.

Agree. I really like Black and Blue, but Some Girls was another world and another era.
8th June 2006 03:12 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Agree. I really like Black and Blue, but Some Girls was another world and another era.

Black and Blue is classic, Some Girls a very good album but not classic.
8th June 2006 03:48 AM
wgwalsh ABB will go down in music history as a masterpiece. The harp playing is right on the mark.

Side bar: Too bad Keith go boom. Best wishes mate.
8th June 2006 06:31 AM
Zack So we have a consensus. ABB is the best in decades. No it doesn't, it sucks. Black and Blue was great. No Black and Blue sucks, Some Girls is great. No . . . wait.

I paraphase Bill Perks here when I say: IT ROCKS AND ITS THE FUCKING STONES YOU IGNORANT SLUTS.

To this I add to you Bang-bashers: would you prefer to have nothing? No album, no tour?
8th June 2006 07:59 AM
egon I liked it, i like it and will probably still like it in the future.

imo they should have left off

- biggest mistake (jagger solo)
The title basically sums up the song.

Not to keen on:

- rain fell down gets a bit boring after a while,
but still a nice poppy tune

- hated sweet neocon in the beginning, but it grew on me a bit
(and not talking about the lyrics)

- Infamy. a "funny" song. it's at the end of the album,
which is a plus.

However the special/limited edition (with the dvd),
is the biggest piece of shit they've put out.

they should have called it;
"dear loyal fan, please bend over so we can take you up the ass"

and they did....

[Edited by egon]
8th June 2006 10:29 AM
tumbling dice
After 9 months,´A bigger bang´´ still grooving in my mind.It´s simple,raw,honest and rocker.Is perfect to us stones fans, but i don´t know to other people,like kids or more young people under twenty. It doesn´t got the same impact in the new generation like others got on us or in my generation in the early 80´s(ex;Tattoo you,some girls).
8th June 2006 10:30 AM
Some Guy it's where we are now and it ain't too bad.
8th June 2006 10:31 AM
glencar Nothing they put out today will have an impact on most folks younger than 25. The same for any other classic rock acts. It's all in the past.
[Edited by glencar]
8th June 2006 10:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

yep...Some Girls deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Exile and Sticky Fingers as far as Im concerned, and is superior to any other record they ever made.

ABB? Still pretty stand by what I thought of it when it came out. A little overlong, but much better than I could have expected from the Stones in their 60's. Love it.
[Edited by Gazza]
8th June 2006 10:56 AM
F505 Some Girls, though a very good record, is slightly overrated. Comparing it with Sicky Fingers and Exile is really too much honour. Some Girls has some brilliant moments and I consider it as their last real good record but it lacks the absolute genius.
8th June 2006 11:06 AM
Ihavelotsajam I dont see the genius in Hey Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby, or even Fool to Cry.

A big part of the genius of Some Girls, and the part almost everyone overlooks, is in the biting lyrics.
THe second part is in the simplicity of the songs, which thankfully separated them from the self-imploding 'classic rock' bands of the time.
8th June 2006 11:08 AM
glencar Geez, Black & blue is one of their worst efforts. Even they'd likely say that! I like MM but the rest is fairly mediocre. It is better than VL though!
8th June 2006 11:12 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
glencar wrote:
Geez, Black & blue is one of their worst efforts. Even they'd likely say that! I like MM but the rest is fairly mediocre. It is better than VL though!

The biggest problem with it, imo, is that it's so short that once you get past the medicore songs, there's not a lot of genius left. THey should really have made it an EP, and trimmed the fat even more.
8th June 2006 11:18 AM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
It is better than VL though!

What isn't!
8th June 2006 11:20 AM
F505
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I dont see the genius in Hey Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby, or even Fool to Cry.

I do. Black and Blue the most black, daring and soulful album the Stones ever made and it's certainly their most dancable record.
[Edited by F505]
8th June 2006 11:20 AM
glencar
quote:
Egbert wrote:

What isn't!

Indeed!
8th June 2006 11:21 AM
egon 505, didnt you say you were leaving because the band
doesn't excite you anymore..?
8th June 2006 11:29 AM
F505
quote:
egon wrote:
505, didnt you say you were leaving because the band
doesn't excite you anymore..?

Yes right, but A Bigger Bang was a nice unexpected surprise to me. Their best effort since ages so I became a bit more enthusiastic. Once a fan always a fan...
8th June 2006 11:45 AM
egon it's good to be here...
[Edited by egon]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)