ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are the Stones a nostagia act nowadays? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th June 2004 02:49 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

7th June 2004 02:52 PM
F505 Thank you for ruining my serious meant topic !!

JB and Joey please a serious comment on this issue.
7th June 2004 02:56 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
Thank you for ruining my serious meant topic !!

I said above they have been a nostalgia act since 89...
7th June 2004 02:58 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
Thank you for ruining my serious meant topic !!

They are NOT and NEVER will be a nostalgia act .

Why ?!?!?!?!?!

Because ...............BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!

" Stones is Stones .... Bigger than all of us Ronnie ! "

Kerscee !
7th June 2004 02:59 PM
F505 that's right!
Anyhow: in future I shall start topics in the weekend
7th June 2004 03:02 PM
jb You sound serious?
7th June 2004 03:03 PM
not bound to please Ex-'Baywatch' Star Hasselhoff Arrested

Mon Jun 7,11:20 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - David Hasselhoff (news) was arrested over the weekend on suspicion on driving while intoxicated, police said Monday.

The former "Baywatch" star was arrested late Saturday night on Ventura Boulevard in the Encino section of the San Fernando Valley, said Officer Sara Faden, a police spokeswoman. He was released the next morning.

No further details were immediately available.

In 2002, Hasselhoff checked himself into the Betty Ford Center for treatment of alcoholism.

The 51-year-old actor is best known for portraying lifeguard Mitch Buchannon in the long-running "Baywatch" TV series. He also starred in the 1980s television show "Knight Rider."

7th June 2004 03:05 PM
Darth Friggin Vader JB AND JOEY have become a Nostalgia act.

Join the DARK SIDE JOEY.
7th June 2004 03:05 PM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:
I said above they have been a nostalgia act since 89...

Ad Execs Say Bush, Kerry TV Spots Boring

Mon Jun 7,11:26 AM ET Add Politics - AP to My Yahoo!

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Madison Avenue creative gurus behind AFLAC's quacking duck and the "Enterprise: We'll Pick You Up!" rental car slogan think this year's presidential campaign ads could use some pizazz.

Latest headlines:
� Echoes of Reagan Heard in President Bush
AP - 15 minutes ago

� Hispanic Support for Bush May Be Weakening
AP - 20 minutes ago

� Ad Execs Say Bush, Kerry TV Spots Boring
AP - Mon Jun 7,11:26 AM ET

"They're content without charisma," said Linda Kaplan Thaler, whose firm produced memorable television commercials for the AFLAC insurance company, Continental Airlines and Clairol Herbal Essences Shampoo.

Frank Ginsberg, founder and chief creative director of Avrett Free & Ginsberg, a New York advertising agency, also said spots by President George W. Bush (news - web sites) and Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) could be more captivating.

"The ads are like essays. They're just telling you, they're not selling you," said Ginsberg, whose firm is behind commercials for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, rum maker Bacardi and Ralston Purina, the pet food company.

The main criticism: Both campaigns take too cautious an approach, pack too much information into the allotted time and rely heavily on stock footage and stale background music.

Political admakers in both parties defended the Bush-Kerry ads and noted key differences between their work and that of their ad agency counterparts, chiefly money and time.

Presidential campaigns typically spend about $20,000 to $40,000 to produce an ad � including the writing, filming and editing � in less than a week and sometimes in as little as 24 hours, depending on news developments. Commercial agencies, with far more resources, spend anywhere from $300,000 to $500,000 per ad and can take months to put it together.

Kim Alfano, a Republican media strategist who worked on ads for Lamar Alexander (news - web sites)'s 2002 Senate race in Tennessee, said political admakers are always at a disadvantage when trying to compete with commercial firms.

"People expect a certain level of quality in everything they watch on TV, but campaigns certainly don't have the budgets that McDonald's or Nike have," she said. "It's a conundrum."

David Axelrod, a Chicago political media consultant who made ads for Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) during the Democratic presidential primaries, said there's a "higher standard of proof for political advertising."

"You not only have to catch their attention, you have to persuade them that what you say is true," he said of viewers.

Presidential campaign ads are competing with a lot already on the air.

A 30-second Bush commercial accusing Kerry of "playing politics with national security" and assailing him on the Patriot Act may air between spots showing NBA rookie LeBron James sipping Sprite or Lance Armstrong cycling for Nike.

Ads peddling everything from Tide laundry detergent to Apple's iPod music player to Old Navy clothes may bookend Kerry's 30-second spot claiming that he will make America "stronger at home" and "respected in the world."

There also are TV show promos, movie trailers and public service announcements.

"I think they have to worry about getting heard at all," Thaler, a 24-year veteran of the advertising and entertainment business, said of the presidential campaigns.

Brad Adgate, a senior vice president at Horizon Media, a New York firm that buys airtime for the GEICO insurance company and the Joseph A. Bank men's clothing stores, said political ads must overcome the "tune out factor" since the average person is bombarded with about 3,000 messages a day.

"People watch TV to be entertained," he said.

The presidential campaign ads weren't all bad, however. Ad executives liked a quirky Bush spot that used quick-moving scenes and carnival-like audio reminiscent of the black-and-white movie era's Keystone Kops to assail Kerry on gas taxes.

"It's a lot of fun and it takes a position on something," Ginsberg said of the ad, which was released at the end of March. "They were onto something, but then they chickened out."

7th June 2004 03:06 PM
F505
quote:
Darth Friggin Vader wrote:
JB AND JOEY have become a Nostalgia act.

LOL
7th June 2004 03:10 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

LOL

Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) offers a new, exciting healthy menu.
7th June 2004 03:25 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:

I know
7th June 2004 03:25 PM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:

So does McDonalds I hear...

7th June 2004 03:28 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
JB AND JOEY have become a Nostalgia act.

Join the DARK SIDE JOEY.

I find your lack of faith SERIOUSLY disturbing!
7th June 2004 03:31 PM
Darth Friggin Vader Don't Make Me Destroy you!

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.
7th June 2004 03:33 PM
Bloozehound Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
7th June 2004 03:33 PM
jb If you only knew the power of inter-racial pussy eating!!!
7th June 2004 03:34 PM
Bloozehound
7th June 2004 03:37 PM
jb
7th June 2004 03:43 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
jb wrote:

quote:
not bound to please wrote:
So does McDonalds I hear...

WTF is up with all this low carb beer !?! What kinda of sick-freak, pussy shit is that ?

And all these make-over, plastic surgery shows, like the Swan ?

Fuck it all!!!
7th June 2004 03:54 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

WTF is up with all this low carb beer !?! What kinda of sick-freak, pussy shit is that ?

And all these make-over, plastic surgery shows, like the Swan ?

Fuck it all!!!

I watched that once. Disturbing. The women don't look any better in the before and after. Our species is de evolving if they hold THAT look up as breeder ideal. We're toast. Aethetically and genetically.

I still want to know about your ass...

7th June 2004 04:22 PM
Darth Friggin Vader I Want To Dance The Boogaloo!

I Want Spank Ewoks!

I Want a Chrome Plated Jock Strap!

7th June 2004 04:24 PM
Joey
quote:
I Want To Dance The Boogaloo!

I Want Spank Ewoks!

I Want a Chrome Plated Jock Strap!

I want a universal grid .
7th June 2004 04:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot I simply don't participate in any of that nonsense. Low carbs and "reality" tv have no effect on my life at all.

I eat whatever the hell I want to eat. I drink whatever I want to drink. If poeple don't like the way I look...fuck 'em. I don't care.

I have never watched a single episode of Survivor. Or American Idol. Or Big Brother. Or any of the rest of that "reality" shit.

We don't HAVE to participate in any of that hogwash, and we do not HAVE to associate with anyone who does.

Read a book. Put on some music. Shag yer significant other. Play Uno with your kid. Smoke a joint.

We are Stones fans. We are better than "they" are.
7th June 2004 05:08 PM
Joey " I simply don't participate in any of that nonsense. Low carbs and "reality" tv have no effect on my life at all. "

" I eat whatever the hell I want to eat. I drink whatever I want to drink. If poeple don't like the way I look...fu## 'em. I don't care. "

" I have never watched a single episode of Survivor. Or American Idol. Or Big Brother. Or any of the rest of that "reality" sh##. "

" We don't HAVE to participate in any of that hogwash, and we do not HAVE to associate with anyone who does. "

" Read a book. Put on some music. Shag yer significant other. Play Uno with your kid. Smoke a joint. "

" We are Stones fans. We are better than "they" are. "

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Burcee Kurcee Jercee !

8th June 2004 01:38 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Thought that I would throw in my opinion on this one. I for one have never considered The Stones to be a nostalgia act, for a few reasons. First of all, if a band comes out to tour that obliviously hasn't done a damn thing creative in 10 years and simply tours to make money and go through the motions of playing songs from their past glory, that's nostalgia. But, if a band still takes the music very serious and continuously tries to take it to new heights, whether successful or not, they�re not just spinning wheels. The fact that The Stones didn't really play any new material on the last tour doesn't mean that that fall into that category. When The Stones take the stage there is still a bit of improvisational soul taking place and that is what makes the differerence. Being a fan of The Grateful Dead for many years, I have had the chance to witness this concept many times throughout. Although they rarely released new material, they where always being creative and trying their best to make each song and show a unique experience. So for some people, simply hearing the name The Rolling Stones makes them think "nostalgia" because they have no music intellect and really don't understand the concept of being a musician. For true music lovers we know the difference, because as long as they are still giving it their all and trying to forge ahead and not just go through the motions of the past, they will never be a nostalgical act.
Simon and Garfunkel, yes, The Stones, no fucking way!
8th June 2004 04:33 AM
IanBillen
I don't see them as a nostalgia act. I never have. I don't think the world does either. Sure they are notorious for being up there in age. Everyone knows that. But nostalgia act, no.
The Rolling Stones are always taken seriously. That's not something everyone has been able to do. Just look at Aerosmith or KISS. Sure they are not as legendary by any means but still their role in music is now looked at as some what kid-like and in certain instances silly. The Stones are still taken seriously in everything they do. And as far as new stuff compared to their old. Well I won't compare album to album but Voodoo was arguably the best album of that year, and Bridges was one of the best of that year so they are still making it with the best of them.
Ian
8th June 2004 04:35 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
Thought that I would throw in my opinion on this one. I for one have never considered The Stones to be a nostalgia act, for a few reasons. First of all, if a band comes out to tour that obliviously hasn't done a damn thing creative in 10 years and simply tours to make money and go through the motions of playing songs from their past glory, that's nostalgia. But, if a band still takes the music very serious and continuously tries to take it to new heights, whether successful or not, they�re not just spinning wheels. The fact that The Stones didn't really play any new material on the last tour doesn't mean that that fall into that category. When The Stones take the stage there is still a bit of improvisational soul taking place and that is what makes the differerence. Being a fan of The Grateful Dead for many years, I have had the chance to witness this concept many times throughout. Although they rarely released new material, they where always being creative and trying their best to make each song and show a unique experience. So for some people, simply hearing the name The Rolling Stones makes them think "nostalgia" because they have no music intellect and really don't understand the concept of being a musician. For true music lovers we know the difference, because as long as they are still giving it their all and trying to forge ahead and not just go through the motions of the past, they will never be a nostalgical act.
Simon and Garfunkel, yes, The Stones, no fucking way!

Well said
8th June 2004 08:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man t the end of the day, to the majority, the Stones ARE a nostalgia band. To me too actually.
8th June 2004 11:36 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
simply hearing the name The Rolling Stones makes them think "nostalgia" because they have no music intellect and really don't understand the concept of being a musician.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5