ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are the Stones a nostagia act nowadays? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th June 2004 06:21 AM
F505 Considering the last tour where they hardly played any songs from their last 5 albums and noticing the golden oldies are still the ones the public is crazy about: what is the significance of the Stones nowadays besides their glorious past which they never will equal?
Okay they're about to record a new album but I don't feel the excitement any longer because we all know (but still hope) it won't be a masterpiece. And is it bad to be a nostalgia act? Or are their people who think the Stones still have a big influence on contemporary pop music?
7th June 2004 07:03 AM
caro
quote:
Are the Stones a nostagia act nowadays?

I would say it depends on your viewpoint. For most of the audience (and probably many die-hard fans too), they're certainly a nostalgia act. That doesn't mean the Stones consider themselves as such. Basically, you have a concert or an album and anyone (including the band) can pick what they want from the music.

I never really understood this thing about "respecting their legacy" anyway. So they're making money off their earlier songs -- why shouldn't they? Even if they don't play those songs as well as in the 70's, they're not *destroying* them by playing them now. Nobody needs to buy a ticket if they don't like the Stones' shows nowadays. Once an album is released, nobody can undo that. Each album has its own life. How does 'Exile' suffer from anything the Stones write or play today? IMO, there's absolutely no relation.

I don't think they're as good today as they used to be, but I'm still interested in what they do because they're great musicians. To make albums as incredible as 'Let it Bleed' or EOMS, it takes more than talent, IMO : If they hadn't had such instable personal situations and tense relationships inside the band, the albums probably wouldn't have been as intense. That would explain why they don't make that kind of album anymore : they're obviously in a much more secure and calm phase nowadays. But they can still try new sounds, new kinds of songriting etc. and figure out things they didn't have time or patience enough to do earlier.

It seems to me like their approach is more about craftmanship than about "art" these days. And they're using the nostalgia-act part both to cash in and because their old songs are a great base on which they can build and "polish" their playing. It makes sense to me, even if the result is disappointing compared to old albums or tours. I mean, you can't expect them to stop doing their job just because they know they can't top what they've done before. The music has a life of its own, so one should let the musicians have a life of their own too, I'd say.
7th June 2004 07:25 AM
M.O.W.A.T. I don't think that they are a nostalgia act. Nostalgia acts don't play to 40-50 thousand people on a regular basis and they certainly don't attract 450 000+ people to one concert.

The Beach Boys are a nostalgia act. The Stones aren't.
7th June 2004 07:25 AM
UGot2Rollme as defined by Webster's:
Nostalgia: a wistful or excessively sentimental sometimes abnormal yearning for return to or of some past period or irrevocable condition

In answer to your question, I would say that some listeners or audience members are attracted to the Stones for "nostalgic" reasons (probably very few who post regularyl on Rocks Off), but that does not define where the band is as they approach the sunset of their career. On the Licks tour they were supporting a greatest hits collection but were very far from going through the motions to appease some nostalgic yearning from the fans - look how they mixed up their sets, performed in different venues - and the energy and talent captured on 4 Flicks - especially Mick - and I think that's very far from nostalgic.... especially with a new CD on the way at some point in the (hopefully) near future.

7th June 2004 07:40 AM
penatonic fix The only songs I really like to listen from the last tour are Worried About You,It has such a great groove and Don,t Stop, again the song has a great groove and is listenable.
All the hits are canned and the setlists and arrangements
have been the same for many years.Also Hand Of Fate was
nice to hear again.
7th June 2004 08:25 AM
FotiniD I think the so-called nostalgia acts are more focused on the golden days gone by, less interested in the present and thus in most cases come out as less energetic in gigs, like drawn into their little world, totally not in contact with what's going on around them.

On the contrary, a Stones gig is imo the best chance one has to *really* see, listen and feel what a rock 'n' roll live gig is all about. The band still plays damn well, their gigs (and I repeat, "gigs", not the "shows" - it's the music part and the people I'm talking about, not the bright lights) are still great most of the time - everyone's entitled to a bad night - and all in all there's nothing clinging to the past out there. Playing some songs from the past doesn't make you a nostalgia act.
7th June 2004 08:35 AM
exile As soon as they dont enjoy playing anymore
As soon as the people stop coming to see them
thats when they will be a nostagia act

I listen to the stones everyday in my car (without doubt) so they have a lot of significance today. At least for me .

:-)
7th June 2004 09:50 AM
mickmask F505- You have not said whether you've been to a concert or not. If not, go... and then we'll talk.
Nostalgia?.... maybe for some.... but there are many young people at the concerts these days... and may I quote one babyface I met in particular at the Skydome on the Licks Tour..."man I came to see 'No Doubt'... but fuck, THESE GUYS ROCK!!!!!".
I think that just about says it all.
It's not just a passing interest... it's a way of life.
Many of us on this board got 'STONED' years ago, and we haven't come down yet!
mm.
7th June 2004 10:14 AM
F505 Mickmask: ofcourse I went to concerts. From 1976 on I've seen at least 25 concerts.
I agree with a lot of things that are said here. But my point is: what is the significance of he Stones at THIS moment. And ofcourse they' re a way of life. I still think it's the best band that ever walked on this planet (and ever will). That's all true but one must judge them also on their recent output. Besides the tours there is not much to get happy about. But I think Caro hit the nail on the head with his analysis. The Stones nowadays are craftmen more than creative artists. And even their craftmanship needs attention. The last tour was not the most solid to put it mildly.
7th June 2004 10:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
The Beach Boys are a nostalgia act. The Stones aren't.

I suppose there's a certain element of nostalgia listening to some of the old songs for some old duffers...and why not, makes a "great soundtrack for ones life" imo LOL. But as far as being a "nostalgia act" I'd say no. The boys are still riding the crest of the wave in a way. Blues/Blues Based Rock will always be cutting edge I think. Paul Revere & The Raiders are a nostalgia act but OK. Nothing necessarily wrong with it.
7th June 2004 10:29 AM
F505 Well I didn't say there is something wrong with nostalgia......
7th June 2004 10:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
F505 wrote:
Well I didn't say there is something wrong with nostalgia......

I know.
7th June 2004 10:37 AM
jb yES...SINCE 89
7th June 2004 10:40 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
yES...

NO!
7th June 2004 11:07 AM
Mel Belli If you asked that in 1989, I would've said, Absolutely not. Not with a Top 5 single on the radio and Mick saying "How do you like the new songs, OK? We can't keep recycling old ones."

If you asked that in 1994, I still would've said, No. I saw them at Giants Stadium, where they played fully 7 songs from their new album.

If you asked that in 1997, I still wouldn't have budged. They took chances in the studio; they tried to play over half the new album live, and at least two of the songs - "Out of Control," "Saint of Me" - became well-received concert staples.

If you asked in 1999, I would have had to think about it a little. A quick, mostly meaningless arena tour with astronimical ticket prices - but a great chance to see them in a more intimate setting. I'm still a believer.

If you asked in 2002, I'd have *really* had to think about it. A greatest hits album with four tossed-off new songs and another tour with astronomical ticket prices. But with the mixed-venue scheme, they still seem like they're after a challenge, something no one's ever done before. In that way, the Licks tour fought off the cobwebs like the rest of the post-'89 tours have.

It's 2004, and there's a new album purportedly around the corner. I'm hoping it's great and that they'll believe it in enough to take it seriously themselves.
7th June 2004 11:09 AM
jb Thanks Sandrew.
7th June 2004 11:13 AM
Joey

7th June 2004 11:15 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

No
7th June 2004 11:18 AM
Joey

8900 ................................and you ?!?!
7th June 2004 11:19 AM
LadyJane Joey..will you hit 9k today??

I think so!

LJ.
7th June 2004 11:20 AM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Joey..will you hit 9k today??

I think so!

LJ.

No , I have a sharp pain in my left flank that prohibits me from full concentration today .

Plus , it is a Monday !

Developing ..................................

J. Flyboy !
7th June 2004 11:21 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

8900 ................................and you ?!?!

Can you two hurry this up - I'm getting sick of reading this board.

7th June 2004 11:22 AM
not bound to please Lady Jane, you didn't really meet Josh, did you?
7th June 2004 11:23 AM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

Can you two hurry this up - I'm getting sick of reading this board.

You are Sassy ...............and I LIKE it !

I REALLY DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D. J. Jazzy Joeksee and the Fresh Prince of Boca

P.S. My Epitaph shall read : " Here lies The Joey : He was NEVER serious ! "
7th June 2004 11:24 AM
LadyJane I certainly did! Have the photos to prove it!

LJ.
7th June 2004 11:25 AM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I certainly did! Have the photos to prove it!

LJ.

7th June 2004 11:25 AM
jb I have had terrible stomach pain since yesterday morning...
7th June 2004 11:26 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I have had terrible stomach pain since yesterday morning...

not bound to please
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I certainly did! Have the photos to prove it!

LJ.

Is it an act? Not that I'd want his cover blown...

not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

You are Sassy ...............and I LIKE it !

I REALLY DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D. J. Jazzy Joeksee and the Fresh Prince of Boca

P.S. My Epitaph shall read : " Here lies The Joey : He was NEVER serious ! "

Bend over...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5