ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are the Stones a nostagia act nowadays? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
8th June 2004 11:41 AM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

You are very Sassy !!!!! ..............And I like that !

Snarky !
8th June 2004 11:47 AM
jb SS is making the transition....SDH must be turning over in his grave!!!
8th June 2004 11:49 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
jb wrote:
SS is making the transition....SDH must be turning over in his grave!!!

8th June 2004 11:54 AM
Joey " SS is making the transition....SDH must be turning over in his grave!!! "

This is truly a historic moment in the annals of message board posting . I thought this day would never come .

It ranks up there with the " Fall of Saigon " and the " Fall of the Berlin Wall "

Who would have thought that S. S. would one day " make the transition " ?!?!?! ......................my poor Baby Steelie -- Just think of all of the suffering he has been through -- now all for nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

When Gazza gets back from the WHO Concert he is going to be Shocked !!!!!!

I KNOW !!!!! I hearby pledge to reach 9K Posts today in my Baby Steelie's Honor !

Word !

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Burcee !
8th June 2004 11:59 AM
Some Guy Joey, if you apply yourself you can catch jb.
8th June 2004 12:00 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Joey, if you apply yourself you can catch jb.

We will do it together as planned!!!

8th June 2004 12:02 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

We will do it together as planned!!!

I just love by Baby Joshy to death !!!!!!!!!!!
8th June 2004 12:03 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

This is truly a historic moment in the annals of message board posting . I thought this day would never come .

Is there a circumcsion emoticon anywhere? I can't find one...

8th June 2004 12:04 PM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

Is there a circumcsion emoticon anywhere? I can't find one...

You make Joey giggle !
8th June 2004 12:07 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey giggle !

8th June 2004 12:09 PM
Joey

Lamby , were you ever " privy to an explanation " ?!?!?!

Please ..............I's justs gots to's knows !!!!!

Turcee Jurcee !
8th June 2004 12:10 PM
jb
8th June 2004 12:14 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

Lamby , were you ever " privy to an explanation " ?!?!?!

Please ..............I's justs gots to's knows !!!!!

Turcee Jurcee !

I think it's in the water...

and the lack of genetically different breeding material...and the lack of a Taco Bell within 100 miles...

8th June 2004 12:16 PM
Joey

" ...and the lack of a Taco Bell within 100 miles... "

You make Joey laugh like Hell .

Oh , and I stole the " It is something in the water line " from LBJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" The Kid Steals Everything Ronnie ! "

Shecky !

8th June 2004 08:48 PM
Gazza MOWAT said>I don't think that they are a nostalgia act. Nostalgia acts don't play to 40-50 thousand people on a regular basis and they certainly don't attract 450 000+ people to one concert.

yes they do, and thats because nostalgia is very popular - as can be seen by the sales of repackages of old records/CD's, by the listening figures of radio stations that target themselves at "nostalgia" or that phrase that I hate "classic rock", by the fact that the biggest touring acts in the world are those that appeal to a similar age group as the Stones and by the fact that few people buy singles anymore. Nostalgia is just as big a part of the music industry as current music is, if not more so.

The Stones are a nostalgia act for almost everyone who goes to see them. People like us might crave new material but most people dont. And even for us, if you were going to pick what songs youd like them to play it would be an old song - maybe not a well known one, but an oldie nonetheless.

They are a nostalgia act because they dont place much/any emphasis on recording new material (hopefully about to change as we speak) and will remain that way until they do so.

They have tailored their act, their appeal and the songs they play to an audience which wont let them develop artistically anyway.
8th June 2004 09:46 PM
Soldatti It's very hard not be a nostalgia act with more than 40 years on the road and with so many hits.
If they don't release a good album soon, with good reviews from both critic and fans they will be a Nostalgia Circus band...
[Edited by Soldatti]
9th June 2004 11:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes they do, and thats because nostalgia is very popular - as can be seen by the sales of repackages of old records/CD's, by the listening figures of radio stations that target themselves at "nostalgia" or that phrase that I hate "classic rock", by the fact that the biggest touring acts in the world are those that appeal to a similar age group as the Stones and by the fact that few people buy singles anymore. Nostalgia is just as big a part of the music industry as current music is, if not more so.

>Few people buy singles anymore<

Funny I just got thinking about that this morning. And this may be the problem. I'd buy a single if the price were right and I liked the song....after all, I (and many others)cut my teeth on 45's. Perhaps the "singles marketing/radio system" is broken and needs a serious overhaul....a new paradigm. Well that may go without saying.
9th June 2004 12:32 PM
Gazza I think singles are basically finished anyway, TTM. I dont know about the US, but over here its basically schoolkids who buy singles and that has been the case for over 15 years

Its so easy just to download these days that hardly anyone bothers with them. Later this summer the UK is going to have an internet chart for sales of downloads for the first time.

9th June 2004 12:48 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think singles are basically finished anyway, TTM. I dont know about the US, but over here its basically schoolkids who buy singles and that has been the case for over 15 years

Its so easy just to download these days that hardly anyone bothers with them. Later this summer the UK is going to have an internet chart for sales of downloads for the first time.

Gazza, MTV awards air this thursday....take a look and see what the young people are listening to...
9th June 2004 12:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Well maybe that's a step in the right direction. So one asks oneself how important IS Rock n Roll after 50 years and the guy answers and says "It's too early to tell".

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
9th June 2004 12:55 PM
jb Maybe.
9th June 2004 09:06 PM
Gazza >Gazza, MTV awards air this thursday....take a look and see what the young people are listening to...

they seem to have awards ceremonies every week....almost as many awards shows as they have channels

I dont know about where you are, but we must have about 20 music channels on satellite TV here. They're almost all uniformly awful. A few years ago, you used to get actual programmes on music channels. Now its just wall to wall videos and the only actual programmes usually have nothing to do with music anyway. Retch.

10th June 2004 12:10 AM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Gazza, MTV awards air this thursday....take a look and see what the young people are listening to...

They listen to shit.
Pure...condensed...shit.
10th June 2004 03:50 AM
F505
quote:
parmeda wrote:

They listen to shit.
Pure...condensed...shit.

That's also what the parents argued when their kids listened to the Stones in the sixties. So nothing really changes.
10th June 2004 07:01 AM
bez85 The Stones next cd will be crucial..it will decide whether they go out with a bang or a whisper..if it sucks they will be relegated to nostalgia act for the rest of their short remaining career..let's hope they get it together...
10th June 2004 03:19 PM
Joey " So nothing really changes. "

New Lamps for Old .....................New Lamps for Old !!!!!!!!!!!!

We sing the dame ol' songs ........................

Jacky T. Ball
Page: 1 2 3 4 5