ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at The Wick, Ronnie's home and studio
The sessions for "I've Got My Own Album To Do" and "Now Look"
Richmond, England June 1974
Graham Wiltshire
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are the Stones a nostagia act nowadays? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
7th June 2004 12:32 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Is Frank Sinatra or Shakespeare a "nostalgia act"?

Frank yes, Shakespeare no.

Rolling Stones, yes.

quote:
There are just some artists who can't be constrained by that moniker. So I would say the Rolling Stones aren't even close to being that. They belong to the gods now. LOL.

Josh bought them?

7th June 2004 12:33 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

7th June 2004 12:33 PM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:

Entry: serious
Function: adjective
Definition: humorless
Synonyms: austere, bent on, bound, businesslike, cold sober, contemplative, deadpan, deliberate, determined, downbeat, draggy, earnest, funereal, genuine, grave, grim, honest, intent, long-faced, meditative, no-nonsense, pensive, poker-faced, reflective, resolute, resolved, sedate, set, severe, sincere, sober, solemn, somber, staid, steady, stern, thoughtful, unhumorous, unsmiling, weighty
Concept: definiteness

7th June 2004 12:35 PM
Joey

7th June 2004 12:36 PM
not bound to please

7th June 2004 12:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
Josh bought them?

Well I don't know what Josh buys. But I suppose any reasonably intelligent person, with halfway decent taste,might at least give Sinatra and Shakespeare the benefit of the doubt. LOL.
7th June 2004 01:12 PM
Bloozehound
quote:

Rummy do you have a phat azz like JLo ?
7th June 2004 01:18 PM
jb
7th June 2004 01:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:

Oh, Don't worry Smarty will still get his stud farm.

Jockey Edgar Prado apologetic after upsetting Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

NEW YORK (AP) - For jockey Edgar Prado, his upset of Smarty Jones in the Belmont Stakes lacked some of the joy that usually comes with victory.

Sure, he was happy to ride 36-1 long shot Birdstone to the win Saturday. But Smarty Jones was the sentimental favourite, looking to become the first horse in 26 years to win the Triple Crown. One of Prado's first reactions? An apology to Smarty Jones' trainer, John Servis, and the rest of his team.

"I'm very sorry for Mr. Servis and all the connections for Smarty Jones, but I had to do my job," Prado said. "This is part of the business, and I'm very sorry it had to be me."

The rest of Birdstone's camp felt badly, too, from trainer Nick Zito to owner Marylou Whitney.

"It's sad because Smarty is great for racing," said Zito, who won the Belmont for the first time in 12 tries. "We've all become fans of Smarty Jones. He will still go down as one of the greats now."

Boos rang out from the record crowd of 120,139 when Birdstone returned to the winner's circle, just like last year after Empire Maker spoiled Funny Cide's Triple try.

Prado knows something about stunning upsets. He won his first Belmont in 2002 aboard Sarava, a 70-1 shot who spoiled War Emblem's Triple Crown try.

Smarty became known as the "people's horse" because of his humble pedigree, his roots at small-time Philadelphia Park and his down-to-earth trainer, Toronto-born jockey Stewart Elliott and owners Pat and Roy Chapman.

Birdstone comes from the ritzy side of town. The bay colt was bred in Kentucky by Whitney, whose family has been in racing for three generations. His sire, Grindstone, won the 1996 Belmont.

Whitney presides over an 88-acre breeding farm in Lexington, Ky. Her late husband, C.V. Whitney, won the Belmont in 1947 and 1951.

"I'm sorry, sorry, sorry Smarty Jones couldn't win," she said. "We do love Smarty, and I think Smarty Jones has done more for the racing community and people who love horses. It gives everyone the chance to think, 'This could happen to me."'

Her husband, John Hendrickson, added: "We do feel horrible."

Whitney seemed shaken by the booing as she clutched a small bouquet of white carnations in the winner's circle.

"Maybe they'll start loving Birdstone," she said.

Birdstone ran the gruelling 1� miles in 2:27.50 and paid $74, $14 and $8.60.

The colt won last year's Champagne Stakes as a two-year-old at Belmont. Early this year, he was touted as one of the top three-year-olds. But he tailed off in March, finishing fifth in the Lanes End at Turfway Park.

Birdstone lost more lustre with an eighth-place showing in the Kentucky Derby, where one of his shoes fell off on the muddy track.

Zito never lost faith; he simply adjusted his game plan.

"You have to just keep working hard and something might happen," he said.

Zito kept Birdstone out of the Preakness, and the colt spent the last three weeks training at Belmont.

"Smarty Jones is still pretty good, but this horse is bred for the distance," Prado said. "The time between races had him nice and fresh. I was very comfortable all the way around. I had a feeling he would run a real good race after the Derby. I feel happy and sad at the same time because we are really looking for a champion."

Zito had finished second five times in his hometown race. His other horse, Royal Assault, was third Saturday.

"I feel great," he said later.

� The Canadian
7th June 2004 01:41 PM
jb
7th June 2004 01:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well at least Prado, Zito and the rest of them aren't as unclassy as the "boo" crowd....that filthy muddied mass that don't deserve anything else but the Hell that awaits them. BURN.
7th June 2004 01:51 PM
Joey
quote:
Well at least Prado, Zito and the rest of them aren't as unclassy as the "boo" crowd....that filthy muddied mass that don't deserve anything else but the Hell that awaits them. BURN.

7th June 2004 01:51 PM
jb
quote:
Well at least Prado, Zito and the rest of them aren't as unclassy as the "boo" crowd....that filthy muddied mass that don't deserve anything else but the Hell that awaits them. BURN.

That was one of your best posts!!!
7th June 2004 01:52 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
That was one of your best posts!!!

7th June 2004 01:58 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

7th June 2004 01:59 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Rummy do you have a phat azz like JLo ?

I'm a size 6, so even though it's not small....

Do you?

7th June 2004 02:02 PM
not bound to please
quote:

Well I don't know what Josh buys. But I suppose any reasonably intelligent person, with halfway decent taste,might at least give Sinatra and Shakespeare the benefit of the doubt. LOL.

Fuck - this Reagan shit is preemting Days of Our Lives! Couldn't he have waited until AFTER the "Captive Island" storyline to die?

7th June 2004 02:05 PM
Joey
quote:

Fuck - this Reagan shit is preemting Days of Our Lives! Couldn't he have waited until AFTER the "Captive Island" storyline to die?

Who is giving the eulogy at his funeral ?!?!?!

Who is opening tonight for THE WHO at Birmingham NIA ?!?!?!

Who am I ?!?!?!

Developing .................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Kersee Skercee Jerc !

[Edited by Joey]
7th June 2004 02:07 PM
jb Developing....a great phrase which I have under utilized....developing......
7th June 2004 02:10 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Developing....a great phrase which I have under utilized....developing......

Shiver ...............................................

Burcee !
7th June 2004 02:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
Who is giving the eulogy at his funeral ?!?!?!

My Grandfather (92) died last week. His "eulogy" was a big bunch of bullshit. Hardly any truth in it at all. Just Bullshit. I expect Reagan's eulogy will be bull shit too.
7th June 2004 02:17 PM
Joey
quote:

My Grandfather (92) died last week. His "eulogy" was a big bunch of bullshit. Hardly any truth in it at all. Just Bullshit. I expect Reagan's eulogy will be bull shit too.

Not necessarily ...........................

At Nixon's funeral , Henry Kissinger and Bob Dole both gave absolutely stirring eulogies ( Dole even broke down and cried like baby ) .

Tazzy !

7th June 2004 02:24 PM
not bound to please
quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. My ex's father's wake was hijacked by his nutty sister's born again christian bs. She invited this asshole who was a reformed drug addict to tell all the old Italians they were going to hell if they didn't become "saved". We were all hoping he'd make one last gesture and sit up in the casket and flick the bastard off!

7th June 2004 02:27 PM
Joey
quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. My ex's father's wake was hijacked by his nutty sister's born again christian bs. She invited this asshole who was a reformed drug addict to tell all the old Italians they were going to hell if they didn't become "saved". We were all hoping he'd make one last gesture and sit up in the casket and flick the bastard off!

You make Joey laugh like Hell !

..........I would like to nuzzle you .

Jerky !
7th June 2004 02:30 PM
Darth Friggin Vader JOEY

You Must Join the DARK SIDE.

With the power of the DARK SIDE, you can conquer JB.

It is your DESTINY.
7th June 2004 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
Darth Friggin Vader wrote:
JOEY

You Must Join the DARK SIDE.

With the power of the DARK SIDE, you can conquer JB.

It is your DESTINY.

7th June 2004 02:33 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey laugh like Hell !

..........I would like to nuzzle you .

Jerky !

Too bad it wasn't on video. At another family wake - they had a brawl in front of Uncle Tony's casket about who didn't chip in yet for the flowers. Uncle Fiore said "who cares - I'm next" - and he was! We had brussetta and antipasti in the waiting room.

7th June 2004 02:34 PM
Joey
quote:

Too bad it wasn't on video. At another family wake - they had a brawl in front of Uncle Tony's casket about who didn't chip in yet for the flowers. Uncle Fiore said "who cares - I'm next" - and he was! We had brussetta and antipasti in the waiting room.

7th June 2004 02:36 PM
not bound to please Insalata di Polipi -- Octopus Salad
From Cosa Bolle in Pentola, my free newsletter:
While we're on the subject of octopus, here's a Calabrian recipe for octopus salad that will be a nice antipasto, also from Mr. Pradelli's book:

2 1/4 pounds (1 k) octopus, ideally small
2 cups (1/2 l) strong red wine vinegar
2 cups (1/2 l) water
Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons parsley, minced
Salt & freshly ground pepper
Clean the octopus, and put them in a pot with the vinegar and the water. Salt the pot, bring it to a boil, cover it, and simmer the octopus until it's fork tender.

Drain the octopus, trim the suckers (which are unpleasantly rubbery) from the tentacles, and dice the octopus, putting the pieces in a bowl (terracotta will look nice here). Season them with the minced herbs, salt and pepper to taste, abundant olive oil, and serve.

7th June 2004 02:48 PM
Joey

Page: 1 2 3 4 5