ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light Premiere Berlin 7.2.08 - Photos & Reports (Updated with infos of other premieres etc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7th February 2008 07:48 AM
Gazza The Stones have arrived in Berlin for tonight's premiere.

The German TV channel 3SAT (also available on satellite) will show a programme from the festival from 19.20 to 21.00 tonight (7th February)

There will also be a live webstream of the event today, which will be added to the festival site's archives afterwards :

The photo-call is at 15.00 local time (14.00 GMT, 09.00 ET) followed by the press conference.

The red carpet will be at 19.00 local time (18.00 GMT, 13.00 ET)

see here for a list of today's events and the live stream:

http://www.berlinale.de/en/das_festival/videostreaming/index.html

Thanks to open-g, satisfaction2 and erikjjf for the info.

[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2008 08:02 AM
Gazza Rolling Stones, Scorsese open Berlin film fest by Deborah Cole

BERLIN (AFP) - The Rolling Stones will rock the red carpet Thursday at the opening of the Berlin International Film Festival with the world premiere of Martin Scorsese's long-awaited concert film.

The band and the veteran director are due in the German capital, kicking off an 11-day festival featuring new pictures by filmmakers including Britain's Mike Leigh, Johnnie To of Hong Kong and US director Paul Thomas Anderson.

Twenty-one films will vie for the Berlinale's coveted Golden Bear top prize, to be awarded by an all-star jury led by Greek-French director Costa-Gavras at a gala ceremony February 16 before the festival wraps up the next day.

After a few uneven years in the competition, critics expect a tight race with several hotly anticipated premieres from around the world.

The glamour quotient will be high too with A-list talent including Madonna, Scarlett Johansson, Penelope Cruz, Daniel Day-Lewis, Natalie Portman and Bollywood heartthrob Shah Rukh Khan expected.

Julia Roberts, starring in the family tragedy "Fireflies in the Garden", was also on the guest list but had not yet confirmed her attendance.

From the opening film, the 58th Berlinale will focus on music in cinema.

The Scorsese picture, "Shine A Light", features outtakes from two Rolling Stones' shows at New York's Beacon Theater in 2006 and guest appearances by Jack White of the White Stripes, pop princess Christina Aguilera and blues legend Buddy Guy. It is appearing out of competition.

Scorsese, who scooped up a long-awaited best director Oscar at last year's Academy Awards for "The Departed", used 16 cameras to compile more than half a million feet (150,000 metres) of footage of the band.

"Shine A Light" also features rare archive footage and catches the Glimmer Twins' candid banter backstage.

Festival director Dieter Kosslick called it a "major coup" for the Berlinale to snare the film.

"They had to trust us as a festival that we would know how to handle a premiere of this calibre," he told AFP.

Costa-Gavras told Thursday's Der Tagesspiegel newspaper that he had served on the jury in Cannes in 1976 that crowned Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" with the Palme d'Or, with the American playwright Tennessee Williams as its president.

"It was wonderful," he said. "So I have a bit of experience. Hopefully I will nevertheless find the time in Berlin to work on my new film," "Eden is West" about illegal immigrants in Europe.

Madonna will unveil her directorial debut, "Filth and Wisdom", in Berlin also outside the main competition. It is billed as a London-based comedy starring British cult star Richard E. Grant and the Roma punk band Gogol Bordello.

The godmother of punk, Patti Smith, will attend a screening of a documentary on her career and perform live Friday night.

Rock veteran Neil Young will present a film about Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's 2006 Freedom of Speech Tour, alongside pictures about Sudanese hip-hop artists and Argentinian tango.

And Khan will be on hand for the international premiere of "Om Shanti Om", which is already a smash in India.

The competition line-up includes the Oscar-nominated oil epic "There Will Be Blood" by Paul Thomas Anderson who won the Golden Bear in 2000 for "Magnolia".

Leigh, known for gritty working-class dramas, will bring his improvised comedy "Happy-Go-Lucky" while Amos Kollek, son of the late Jerusalem mayor Teddy Kollek, will screen "Restless" about an Israeli poet in New York.

Popular action director Johnnie To will screen "Sparrow" starring Simon Yam, a soft-pedal drama about friendship among pickpockets.

In 2007 the Chinese drama "Tuya's Marriage" (Tuya De Hunshi) about a Mongolian herdswoman's two husbands took home the Golden Bear.

China will be represented in the competition this year by Wang Xiaoshuai's "In Love We Trust" (Zuo You) about a mother's bid to save her firstborn child from cancer.

The Berlinale ranks among Europe's top three film festivals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080207/ennew_afp/entertainmentgermanyfilmfestival_080207113039
7th February 2008 08:06 AM
Bitch Thank you SO MUCH for the links ~ nothing is streaming yet, so what time is it in Berlin? Is it 5 or 6 hours ahead of NY time? I CAN'T miss this STONES EXCITEMENT, so I'll duck out of work for a while!
Thanks.
Gazza, you are the best information man in cyberspace, can you please post the time?

One-Love
7th February 2008 08:07 AM
speedfreakjive general article on the festival from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7232143.stm

Madonna leads Berlin film event

By Emma Jones
BBC News, Berlin

Madonna
Madonna is expected at the event to unveil her film-making debut

"Dear Dieter, can I bring my film to Berlin? Thanks, Madonna."

Perhaps this wasn't the actual wording of the postcard the Queen of Pop sent to Berlin Film Festival director Dieter Kosslick, but the request was the same.

Accordingly, Madonna's directorial film debut, Filth and Wisdom, will have its premiere at the festival.

Kosslick has been telling reporters he was "really impressed" by the pop star's forthright request.

"I've never before received a card from someone who said: 'Dear Dieter, if you like my film, I'd love it to be screened in Berlin'," he said.

He replied in the affirmative at once, perhaps thinking of the publicity rather than her previous film outings - such as the critically-derided Swept Away, which she made with film-maker husband Guy Ritchie.

But in Filth and Wisdom the music star says behind the camera.

While critics are sharpening their pencils, the buzz about her 81-minute film has so far been favourable.

Musical themes

Starring Richard E. Grant and set in London, it is described as a comedy based on some of the material girl's own experiences in showbusiness.

Cinema buffs may be forgiven for wondering if this really is a film festival on hearing that the Rolling Stones will open the event on Thursday - but they are attending as the subject of a documentary by Oscar-winner Martin Scorsese.

Shine A Light includes archive footage as well as new material from a Stones gig in 2006, held to celebrate Bill Clinton's 60th birthday.

Musical themes have been a feature of Dieter Kosslick's six years in charge at Berlin.

Posters for the festival in Berlin
The German capital is geared up for the 58th Berlinale

Last year the festival opened with La Vie En Rose, a biopic of Edith Piaf which has gained leading lady Marion Cotillard an Oscar nomination.

And the musicians will keep arriving in Berlin in 2008 - with a documentary about punk star Patti Smith, and Neil Young flying in to promote CSNY - Deja Vu.

While this sounds like the title of a police series, it is actually the story of folk-rock supergroup Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young reuniting in 2006.

The group, now in their 60s, travelled the USA to protest the war in Iraq, and viewers see angry audiences in Atlanta walking out as they sing Let's Impeach the President for Lying.

The documentary is now Standard Operating Procedure at any festival - and, appropriately enough, that is the title of one highly-anticipated feature which investigates the events at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

Paparazzi shots

But if you're looking for a Brad, George or Julia to appear at this year's Berlinale you will be disappointed - even though Julia Roberts has a film showing.

It is not until the end of the festival - when Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman arrive for the sumptuous adaptation of Philippa Gregory's novel, The Other Boleyn Girl - that the paparazzi will have their shots.

"There are a lot of films not ready this year for some reason," explains Barbara Thuillier, film correspondent for German TV network RTL.

"It's very unusual - most of them will have to go to Cannes instead."

Scarlett Johansson in The Other Boleyn Girl
Hollywood star Scarlett Johansson will promote The Other Boleyn Girl

It may occur to journalists, as they shiver on the red carpet in the February cold, that the French Riviera in May sounds like a better option.

Berlin is no longer a big staging post on the road to the Oscars, now that the Academy Awards are held only a few days later.

There is only one potential Oscar winner here - Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood - who is doing little publicity.

Ms Thuillier points out that the Berlin festival is still the third biggest film marketplace in the world.

"Why I really love it, is that it's always so fascinating and quirky. They're always trying new ideas out here, with a forum just for new digital technology and events exploring the connection between film and food."

And just like Sundance in the US, Berlin is the place to launch European indie movies.

Director Mike Leigh will be showing Happy Go Lucky, his first film since Vera Drake, while Tilda Swinton's performance as an alcoholic in Julia is guaranteed to please the critics.

Audiences will also expect a stir around British-directed film Gardens of the Night, which depicts two children who are abducted and abused for years.

The Berlin Film Festival runs from the 7-17 February.
7th February 2008 08:09 AM
Gazza Feb 06, 2008:

A Dazzling Opening Night for the 58th Berlinale

With the world premiere of the Rolling Stones concert film, Shine a Light by Oscar-winner Martin Scorsese, the 58th Berlin International Film Festival will open tomorrow, February 7, 2008. Director Martin Scorsese, and Stones Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood are all coming to Berlin to attend this big event.

Berlinale Director Dieter Kosslick will open the Festival together with Minister of State and Commissioner for Cultural and Media Affairs Bernd Neumann, Governing Mayor of Berlin Klaus Wowereit and Jury President Costa-Gavras. The event will be broadcast live on television by ZDF/3sat. Television presenter Katrin Bauerfeind will host the evening. Music for the gala will be provided by the German pop-rock band “Wir sind Helden”.

Other celebrities expected to attend the event include:
Mario Adorf, Fatih Akin, Natalia Avelon, Michael Ballhaus, Ben Becker, Meret Becker, Wolfgang Becker, Senta Berger, Moritz Bleibtreu, Daniel Brühl, Christopher Buchholz, Detlev Buck, Mareike Carrière, Brian De Palma, August Diehl, Angelica Domröse, Doris Dörrie, Hannelore Elsner, Luigi Falorni, Heino Ferch, Veronica Ferres, Martina Gedeck, Corinna Harfouch, Goldie Hawn, Hannah Herzsprung, Nina Hoss, Sandra Hüller, Julia Hummer, Hermine Huntgeburth, Julia Jentsch, Vanessa Jopp, Sibel Kekilli, Wolfgang Kohlhaase, Chris Kraus, Thomas Kretschmann, Marco Kreuzpaintner, Alexandra Maria Lara, Heike Makatsch, Jeanine Meerapfel, Barnaby Metschurat, Helke Misselwitz, Dieter Moor, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Anna Maria Mühe, Christian Petzold, Franka Potente, Oskar Roehler, Otto Sander, Katrin Saß, Maria Schrader, Jessica Schwarz, Esther Schweins, Steven Soderbergh, Jasmin Tabatabai, Margarethe von Trotta, Tom Tykwer, Nadja Uhl, Christian Ulmen, Idil Üner, Jürgen Vogel, Sönke Wortmann, Neil Young and Hanns Zischler.

A number of prominent German politicians have also announced they will attend. This includes Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs and Vice-Chancellor Frank-Walter Steinmeier, President of the Bundestag Dr. Norbert Lammert, President of the Berlin House of Representatives Walter Momper and former Federal Minister of Defence Volker Rühe.

Press Office
February 6, 2008
7th February 2008 08:38 AM
open-g
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Thank you SO MUCH for the links ~ nothing is streaming yet, so what time is it in Berlin? Is it 5 or 6 hours ahead of NY time? I CAN'T miss this STONES EXCITEMENT, so I'll duck out of work for a while!
Thanks.
Gazza, you are the best information man in cyberspace, can you please post the time?

One-Love

Here's the local time for Berlin
red carpet starts at 19:00 h local time.

7th February 2008 08:41 AM
open-g ...and for a little warm-up, here's Chuck Berry on the red carpet from Golden Camera last night.
He got a lifetime achievement.

7th February 2008 08:46 AM
Bitch
quote:
open-g wrote:

Here's the local time for Berlin
red carpet starts at 19:00 h local time.

THANK YOU open G! This is only 15 more minutes! wow!

and Chuck Berry looks happy ~ some crazy combination of clothes he's wearing!
[Edited by Bitch]
7th February 2008 08:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Thank you SO MUCH for the links ~ nothing is streaming yet, so what time is it in Berlin? Is it 5 or 6 hours ahead of NY time? I CAN'T miss this STONES EXCITEMENT, so I'll duck out of work for a while!
Thanks.

One-Love

quote:
The photo-call is at 15.00 local time (14.00 GMT, 09.00 ET) followed by the press conference.

The red carpet will be at 19.00 local time (18.00 GMT, 13.00 ET)

6 hrs ahead of New York.

Cant take the credit for the info - but thanks all the same.

open-g is our man on the spot in Berlin today!
[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2008 08:57 AM
SweetVirginia Do we know if anyone from RO or IORR will be there?
7th February 2008 09:17 AM
open-g
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Do we know if anyone from RO or IORR will be there?

I'll be off to meet Beast, Paulywaul and With Sssoul soon.
7th February 2008 09:19 AM
PartyDoll MEG Have fun, g!!

Looking forward to your reports!!!
7th February 2008 09:20 AM
glencar I got this from a Drudge link.
7th February 2008 09:30 AM
gotdablouse Some slight technical problems it seems, picture upside down for the PC "coming soon" now !
7th February 2008 09:31 AM
gotdablouse I take it back, it's starting !
3 minutes for pictures says the German lady !
And ONLY questions on the movie, HEIL !
7th February 2008 09:38 AM
gotdablouse Brings back memories of the B2B webcast in late August 1997 !

Pretty unusual to see the Stones play second fiddle to someone else, Scorcese in this case...pretty refreshing.

Keith is his usual confused self...
7th February 2008 09:42 AM
gotdablouse Nice reply by Keith on being aware of the cameras.

Ouch for the "lumps" on his fingers, not getting any better, gotta feel for the guy...
7th February 2008 09:44 AM
gotdablouse Wow a journalist who actually knows about the Stones, he asked why they don't play "Jump on top of me".

Mick replies that they'll play it the next time...hint, hint...
7th February 2008 09:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I got this from a Drudge link.

Darryl's fairly let himself go since the tour ended.
7th February 2008 09:57 AM
Gazza Think its pretty safe to say that if they dont use this press conference to announce some touring plans, theyve changed their minds about a spring tour.
7th February 2008 10:13 AM
gimmekeef They may wait for the buzz or lack of following this premiere to decide on a mini tour...Or after some time off may not want to fire up again for a few spotty shows.Quite frankly I'd rather they spend the year on a new album of "tourable" tunes and let Zep have the stage.Anyway with April weeks away its almost too late to get a tour in isnt it?
7th February 2008 10:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
They may wait for the buzz or lack of following this premiere to decide on a mini tour...Or after some time off may not want to fire up again for a few spotty shows.Quite frankly I'd rather they spend the year on a new album of "tourable" tunes and let Zep have the stage.Anyway with April weeks away its almost too late to get a tour in isnt it?

the fall 2006 US tour started on September 20, and was announced on July 26th or so, so its certainly doable, especially as this tour would be shorter and in arenas. The European tour last year was announced March 23rd or something and started early June, with some shows still not going on sale until late April - and they were almost all stadiums.

These tours are planned way before that though and any rumours that we were hearing months ago seem to have gone relatively quiet in recent weeks.

Then again, the recent LiveNation survey to rs.com members could still be a signal that some kind of touring plans are afoot for 2008.
7th February 2008 10:19 AM
glencar I'm not expecting a tour. I shall make other plans...
7th February 2008 10:40 AM
Bitch copied from the Berdinale website:

SHINE A LIGHT
In autumn 2006 the Rolling Stones gave two concerts at Beacon Theatre in New York. Here, in the almost intimate environment of this 2,800-seater old Broadway theatre that opened in 1928, we remind ourselves why Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts are living legends. Before an enthusiastic audience that includes Hillary and Bill Clinton, the Stones present their hit songs as well as less known numbers. Guest appea­rances from Christina Aguilera, blues legends Buddy Guy and Jack White (“White Stripes“) make this an unforgettable evening.
As with his concert film, THE LAST WALTZ (made in 1978, about The Band) and his music documentaries FEEL LIKE GOING HOME (made in 2003, about the history of the blues) and NO DIRECTION HOME (about Bob Dylan, 2005), Martin Scorsese does not merely portray popular musicians for the ump­teenth time, rather he portrays their music – in the truest sense of the word. SHINE A LIGHT transposes rock music to the screen and makes it palpable in the cinema. But this cinematic tour de force is not solely the work of the director; it also represents the culmination of the combined talents of some of Hollywood’s best cinematographers, who filmed the concert from every conceivable angle. Among those contributing their skills were legendary Stones documentarian Albert Maysles (GIMME SHELTER, 1970), and two
cinema­to­graphers whose work is to be seen in this year’s Berlinale Compe­tition: Ellen Kuras (BE KIND REWIND) and Robert Elswit (THERE WILL BE BLOOD). Moreover, the film’s stunning soundtrack gives everyone the feeling of being right at the heart of the proceedings.
It’s only rock ’n’ roll, but you’ll like it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ROLLING STONES & MARTIN S FOR THE SUCCESS OF SHINE A LIGHT! THANKS FOR MAKING IT! XOXOXOXOX

[Edited by Bitch]
7th February 2008 10:50 AM
montana there are already pix from the photocall...

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=rolling+stones&c=news_photos

7th February 2008 10:57 AM
Gazza Dozens of pics popping up on the newswires now..here are a few :

Photos by AP and Reuters
7th February 2008 11:06 AM
Bitch GREAT PICS of the boys!

Marty looks pleased!
MICK looks proud!
KEEF looks great!
Ronnie looks excited!
and
CHARLIE looks happy!

wow!

7th February 2008 11:11 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some more (same credits as the header) with thanks to moy

7th February 2008 11:24 AM
luxury1 Ok--now for the comments/questions--looks like Keef has let some grey back into his hair. Mick is certainly full of himself, as always, barking out answers or whatever--is he wearing a flannel shirt?? Cool pants. Dude is ageless. Ronnie looks very healthy, especially his hair, all full and shiny. Charlie is, well, Charlie, the steady backbeat--thank god. Now get back on stage....
7th February 2008 11:29 AM
speedfreakjive i'm a bit confused, does the film consist of footage from the 2006 Beacon gig solely, or does it have some older 'archive footage' as reported in the article that I posted at the top of this thread?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)