ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light Premiere Berlin 7.2.08 - Photos & Reports (Updated with infos of other premieres etc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7th February 2008 06:21 PM
CrissCrossMind What's with Keith & the hat ... must be like Merle trying to cover a bald dome ... he'll take it off during his 2 sing set for shock value ... so we get 100 minutes of concert footage & 22 of credits and old footage ... sounds OK so ... let it rock!! ... CCM
7th February 2008 06:31 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Our boys are lookin' GOOD! Bless em. Seeing these shots makes me realize how badly I'm jonesing for a tour.
7th February 2008 06:48 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
CrissCrossMind wrote:
What's with Keith & the hat ... must be like Merle trying to cover a bald dome ... he'll take it off during his 2 sing set for shock value ... so we get 100 minutes of concert footage & 22 of credits and old footage ... sounds OK so ... let it rock!! ... CCM

Keith is a man of many hats...

7th February 2008 07:29 PM
Gazza First fan reviews are in :

From paulywaul, who was at the first public screening this evening

Setlist was - JJF/Shattered/She was hot/all down the line/ loving cup/as tears Go by/Some Girls/Just My Imagination/Far Away Eyes/Champagne & Reefer/Tumbling Dice/You Got The Silver/Connection/Sympathy/Live With Me/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/Satisfaction (Note - he didnt mention 'Shine a light', which is played over the end credits)

"Cinematography - absolutely A1. Scorsese captured the irreverence of the individual Stones perfectly. First 15-20 minutes before they hit the stage - lots of chaos and various clips - priceless. All in all, 8.5 out of 10."
7th February 2008 07:39 PM
LSTNT From The Drudge Report:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=festivals&jump=review&id=2478&reviewid=VE1117936095&cs=1
7th February 2008 07:55 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Think its pretty safe to say that if they dont use this press conference to announce some touring plans, theyve changed their minds about a spring tour.

Good, who needs another tour at this point ?
7th February 2008 08:23 PM
Gazza BBC News reports :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/entertainment/video/150000/bb/150898_16x9_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7230000/newsid_7234000/7234006.stm
[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2008 08:30 PM
Gazza From Sky News :

Scorsese Captures The Real Stones

Jon Bennett
Entertainment editor
Updated:21:35, Thursday February 07, 2008

Martin Scorsese has admitted to Sky News that he was daunted when it came to making Shine A Light.

Scorsese flanked by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger

He might be a legendary director but speaking on the red carpet at the world premiere of his film of the Rolling Stones in concert he said that attempting to capture the band on screen was a unique challenge.

Not only are the band his "childhood heroes", reflected by the fact he has used their music throughout his movie making career, he was also turning the cameras on a group that must have been filmed more than any other in history.

He need not have worried.

While Shine A Light is not quite a masterpiece it is a consistently exhilarating experience of seeing the Stones live that captures something none of their other concert films has.

His secret is getting as close as possible to the band.

He revealed that he could have filmed them perform to a million people on a Rio de Janeiro beach but instead he waited until they played at the tiny Beacon Theatre in New York.

This was a masterstroke.

Playing in each others' pockets instead of acres apart on a huge stage means Scorsese's 17 cameras could capture the intimacies between Mick and Keith in a way that no other film maker has before.

The group are constantly in close-up and it is seeing the facial gestures, the way that Jagger conducts the band with an innocuous shrug of the shoulder, that is a revelation.

The Stones in action

Seasoned Stone watchers know that while they may still revel in their self styled title of "The Greatest Rock'N'Roll Band in the World" their last few tours have seen them have more off nights than they used to.

But here, with the cameras in their face, they raise their game to a level that those who saw their mediocre performance at last year's Isle of Wight festival would scarcely believe possible.

It's not flawless.

The girls lined up across the front rows look suspiciously like models planted there for image reasons and Jagger's lascivious gyrating with guest star Christina Aguilera veers beyond the merely comic to toward the outright disturbing.

These are quibbles though. Shine A Light is a loving film that anyone with even a passing fondness for the Stones couldn't fail to be stirred by.

7th February 2008 08:32 PM
Gazza Mick interview on the red carpet

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/video/?&videoSourceID=1304552&flashURL=/feeds/skynews/latest/flash/rolling_stones_070208_1900.flv

7th February 2008 08:43 PM
gorda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
From Sky News :

Scorsese Captures The Real Stones

" . . . The girls lined up across the front rows look suspiciously like models planted there for image reasons . . ."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

They should have planted a couple of fat girls in there to make it look more realistic!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0000000000000000ooooooooooooooo!

[Edited by gorda]
7th February 2008 08:46 PM
open-g Back from the freezing long wait at the red carpet and then the movie
SHINE A LIGHT
with Beast, Paulywaul, With Sssoul and Pjotr
it was great to meet you

This movie will be a treasure chest when it comes out on DVD!
one you can rewind and shuttle for repeated sequences.

It has quite a few hilarious moments right from the start.
Marty and the setlist - was a story told in a repeating, slapstick kind of a way. very funny and entertaining - not only for Stones fans.
The songs that Pauly posted where all played out - except one!
Connection - it was butchered with interview cuts inbetween - ouch^^
With Sssoul will have something serious to say about that - stay tuned.

The sound was a bit strange sometimes.
it was moving all the time. the guitars, when in picture, really jumped out at ya.
sometimes very good, other times a bit strange.
I don't know if it was the cinema's fault or if it's actually mixed like that (I'm not a fan of suround sound) I guess I can tell tomorrow, after seeing it at another cinema.
According to Martin Scorsese at the press conference, no overdubs were done and I couldn't hear any from this first experience.
if anything had to be done it was through the audio-mix.

the musical highlights for me were Far Away Eyes and Champagne & Reefer**** absolutely stunning, but don't worry, the others ain't far off.

About "The blond hired bimbos" ....well, if it hadn't been talked about earlier, no one woulda noticed. nothing to get ones knickers in a twist.
my opinion o'course.

...and I'm pretty tired
7th February 2008 08:48 PM
PartyDoll MEG Gee Thanks, Open-g!!

You are a trooper to write this before nite-nite!!

So glad the bimbos weren't in evidence.
7th February 2008 08:56 PM
SweetVirginia Thank you for taking time to post tonight, Open G-

I can't wait to see this film!
7th February 2008 09:09 PM
open-g hmmm - I didn't mention...

The Rolling Stones kick some serious ass!

lots of candy in the movie for the insiders.

...what a beautieful buzz
7th February 2008 09:18 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
open-g wrote:
hmmm - I didn't mention...

OHHH.. Baby!!!

Can't wait to see it!!!

7th February 2008 09:48 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Think its pretty safe to say that if they dont use this press conference to announce some touring plans, theyve changed their minds about a spring tour.

Unfortunately it's looking,more and more like they are leaning toward 2009 before doing amy more touring. But damn would a couple nights at MSG kill 'em?
7th February 2008 10:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG another you tube..

7th February 2008 11:37 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
open-g wrote:
hmmm - I didn't mention...

Thanks for bringing back some candy for us, open-g.
Can't wait to see this one!
8th February 2008 12:05 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Mick interview on the red carpet

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/video/?&videoSourceID=1304552&flashURL=/feeds/skynews/latest/flash/rolling_stones_070208_1900.flv

Wow Keef completely stopped dying his hair. Very cool.
8th February 2008 01:13 AM
pdog I look forward to seeing this in SF sometime soon, I hope...
8th February 2008 02:56 AM
FotiniD Thanks everyone for the FANTASTIC photos. I'm starting to believe our boys do have a pact with the devil. For crying out loud, Ronnie brought his 80's version in the 21st century!! They're looking GOOD.
8th February 2008 05:54 AM
corgi37 Some of the reviews are positively glowing! Looking forward to this now.

And what an amazing reaction they got in Berlin. It's like they are the Stones or something.

You lot can scratch out a tour. Get real!

U2 are going out.
Maybe Madonna.

Then there's the U.S. economy. All major bands demand payment in U.S. dollars, which is utterly fucked at the moment. They have done for ages and was always the main reason why the Stones didnt tour here for 22 years. Well, our dollar is almost up to parity! Which is good for me, as i am going to Hong Kong in a week and a half! Our dollar buys 6.9 HK right now. Best rate i've had for years!

I'm even thinking of buying property in America with my Dad & Bro. House prices here exceed the U.S.! It's incredible. I gotta look into it more though. Things like tax breaks and stuff.

So, no. No tour. What would they tour for? And who would have the money/desire to see them again?

Maybe they could play at Hillary's inauguration?
8th February 2008 06:36 AM
wildmercury I've just posted a review here - http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=614&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more614
8th February 2008 07:03 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
wildmercury wrote:
I've just posted a review here - http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=614&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more614

nice review, thanks for the link
8th February 2008 07:43 AM
open-g Good review, John.

I couldn't agree more about Jack White.
8th February 2008 07:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Wow Keef completely stopped dying his hair. Very cool.

This is the healthiest I've seen Keith look for a long time. very refreshing.
8th February 2008 07:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

This is the healthiest I've seen Keith look for a long time. very refreshing.

Yes he does look healthy, doesn't he?!!! And much better with less of that crap tied in his hair.

8th February 2008 08:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
wildmercury wrote:
I've just posted a review here - http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=614&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more614

Excellent review, John. Thanks for sharing it with us. (As a Dylan fan, thats a great name for a music column, by the way)
8th February 2008 08:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

Unfortunately it's looking,more and more like they are leaning toward 2009 before doing amy more touring. But damn would a couple nights at MSG kill 'em?

Playing two shows requires a similar rehearsal time as playing about 15 shows, though. In the last thirty years there have only been three occasions when the Stones have performed an actual concert that WASN'T within the confines of a tour, and all of them in relatively small venues

El Mocambo, 1977 (to tape a live album)
Oshawa 1979 (the CNIB shows - as part of the conditions of Keith's 'sentence')
100 Club 1986 (Ian Stewart memorial gig)

Its going to take a considerable sea change in Stones policy to do short bursts of concert activity. The signs were there that this was going to be the case, but whether they can motivate themselves to tour when its not going to be some massive scale record-grossing extravaganza is to be seen
8th February 2008 08:13 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
wildmercury wrote:

Great review, and some really interesting points about the Stones and especially Jagger's performance.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)