ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light Premiere Berlin 7.2.08 - Photos & Reports (Updated with infos of other premieres etc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7th February 2008 11:32 AM
nankerphelge Wow they all look very good - even Keith looks healthy.

Very encouraging.

We're gonna get some arena shows out of all this yet...

7th February 2008 11:39 AM
Martha They all look GREAT! On with the show!

I am drooling now........

xxxxxoooo,
Martha!
7th February 2008 11:39 AM
The Wick In a few of those pics, Mick looks like he's about to belt out Brown Sugar or is already doing so.
7th February 2008 11:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
i'm a bit confused, does the film consist of footage from the 2006 Beacon gig solely, or does it have some older 'archive footage' as reported in the article that I posted at the top of this thread?

its almost all Beacon footage, with some background stuff early on, and a little bit of archive footage.

The film runs for 122 minutes, which is quite long for a concert movie.

Cousin Lou from IORR was a test screening a couple of months ago and this was the (approximate) track listing he had :

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Shattered
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down the Line
5. Loving Cup [with Jack White]
6. Just My Imagination
7. Far Away Eyes
8. As Tears Go By
9. Some Girls
10.Champagne and Reefer [with Buddy Guy]
11.Tumbling Dice
12.You Got the Silver
13.Connection [severely edited in the film]
14.Sympathy For the Devil
15.Live with Me [with Christina Aguilera]
16.Start Me Up
17.Brown Sugar
18.Satisfaction
19.Shine a Light [plays over closing credits]

Most of the footage, apparently, comes from the second show.

Another guy who had some contacts with Scorsese's people said that (and I dont know how accurate this is) apparently Scorsese - having heard about the negative reaction from fans re: the 'actresses' - agreed that there was too much reliance on the crowd shots of the hired bimbos in the first cut, and some subsequent editing was done to lessen their presence in the final version.

We'll have to wait until we hear reviews from fans as to how accurate that was.

[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2008 11:45 AM
LadyJane They really DO look GREAT!!!!!
My heart wants some arena shows.
My bank account is screaming "Noooooooooooooooo"

LJ.
7th February 2008 11:50 AM
Jeep

7th February 2008 11:50 AM
mrhipfl This is great! They look like they're having the time of their lives. No matter how old they get, and how wrinkly their skin becomes, they never lose that youthful spirit. That's what I love about 'em.

Did Keith lose weight? Sure looks like it.

And Woody grew his hair out longer too, huh. Guess it ain't a wig after all.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
7th February 2008 11:53 AM
Gazza Just in case anyone missed it as its in the other SAL thread - http://www.novogate.com/board/968/241043-3.html, the American premiere of SAL will be at the SXSW festival in Austin, Tx in March

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=4036

I still presume they'll be attending the New York premiere.

I didnt post the details in this thread as its specifically for the Berlinale premiere.

7th February 2008 11:53 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Dozens of pics popping up on the newswires now..here are a few :

Outstanding Pictures .

Thanks

Damn my babies look GOOD !!!!
7th February 2008 12:01 PM
gimmekeef Days liek this when something new is being announced and we can share with technology..Makes me think how damn lucky we are to have them warts and all!
7th February 2008 12:02 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

its almost all Beacon footage, with some background stuff early on, and a little bit of archive footage.

The film runs for 122 minutes, which is quite long for a concert movie.

Cousin Lou from IORR was a test screening a couple of months ago and this was the (approximate) track listing he had :

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Shattered
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down the Line
5. Loving Cup [with Jack White]
6. Just My Imagination
7. Far Away Eyes
8. As Tears Go By
9. Some Girls
10.Champagne and Reefer [with Buddy Guy]
11.Tumbling Dice
12.You Got the Silver
13.Connection [severely edited in the film]
14.Sympathy For the Devil
15.Live with Me [with Christina Aguilera]
16.Start Me Up
17.Brown Sugar
18.Satisfaction
19.Shine a Light [plays over closing credits]

Most of the footage, apparently, comes from the second show.

Another guy who had some contacts with Scorsese's people said that (and I dont know how accurate this is) apparently Scorsese - having heard about the negative reaction from fans re: the 'actresses' - agreed that there was too much reliance on the crowd shots of the hired bimbos in the first cut, and some subsequent editing was done to lessen their presence in the final version.

We'll have to wait until we hear reviews from fans as to how accurate that was.

[Edited by Gazza]

in my head the archive footage is probably similar to some of the archive footage in the 'Tip Of The Tongue' documentary from 4 Flicks.
Good setlist though, funny info about the 'bimbo's' being cut out
7th February 2008 12:11 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

in my head the archive footage is probably similar to some of the archive footage in the 'Tip Of The Tongue' documentary from 4 Flicks.
Good setlist though, funny info about the 'bimbo's' being cut out

I want my bimbos!...IMAX tatas
7th February 2008 12:20 PM
Jumacfly Hey looks like our Keef has spent a few weeks under the sun! he looks fine, and he has stopped to colour his hair, thank you jesus, thank you lord.

and Look what the cat dragged in : a brand new cat on Ronnie' s head!!
7th February 2008 12:27 PM
Jeep .

7th February 2008 12:29 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Hey Jules, what the fuck are we doing at home?
we just shuold be in Berlin, me and you, outside waiting for the boys!!
Argh!
Fabio
7th February 2008 12:41 PM
Bitch
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Ok--now for the comments/questions--looks like Keef has let some grey back into his hair. Mick is certainly full of himself, as always, barking out answers or whatever--is he wearing a flannel shirt?? Cool pants. Dude is ageless. Ronnie looks very healthy, especially his hair, all full and shiny. Charlie is, well, Charlie, the steady backbeat--thank god. Now get back on stage....

Yes! KEEF looks great with the gray hair! Love it!

You know I thought MICK would of showed up in a Tux for the occasion! He looks so relaxed and comfortable in the flannel shirt soaking up the limelight! Gorgeous!!!!Maybe tonight we'll see MICK in formalware? Very seldom seen wearing a tie!

Ronnie~ only his hairdresser knows for sure?!

Charlie ~ double-breasted suit and tie, always an English gentleman.

I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!!!!!
7th February 2008 12:49 PM
Jeep
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
and Look what the cat dragged in : a brand new cat on Ronnie' s head!!

Hi Ju ! Beware of cat !

7th February 2008 01:33 PM
Jeep Short video on Bild website :

http://www.bild.de/BILD/entertainment/berlinale/0702/pressekonferenz-stones/me-stones,templateId=renderPopup,elementId=3705518.html
7th February 2008 02:18 PM
speedfreakjive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7233497.stm

Stones film opens Berlin festival
The Rolling Stones and Martin Scorsese
Scorsese joined the Stones at the festival
The Rolling Stones' hotly awaited concert movie directed by Martin Scorsese has opened the annual Berlin Film Festival.

The band joined the 65-year-old director in the German capital at the screening of Shine A Light.

Fans lined up to catch a glimpse of the rockers at the start of the 11-day festival, which will see 21 films vie for the coveted Golden Bear prize.

Mick Jagger said the film offered a "really intimate look" at the band.

Scorsese, who won the best director Oscar at last year's Academy Awards, used 26 cameras to capture the veteran rock legends on stage at New York's Beacon Theater in 2006.

He said that the nature of the music was "something that has inspired me constantly throughout the years," and he had long been discussing possible projects with singer Mick Jagger.

We tried to get as close as possible to the energy of a live concert
Martin Scorsese

"Whenever I saw the show I'd get excited - I want to get a camera up there," Scorsese said at a news conference.

"We tried to get as close as possible to the energy of a live concert."

Guitarist Keith Richards said he had been curious to see "what Martin would come up with," and praised the unobtrusive approach of the director and his crew.

"We didn't even see them, we didn't even know they were there, and that was the important thing to me," he said.

"As far as I'm concerned, we played three nights at the Beacon and Martin happened to capture it on film - it's a beautiful way to do it."

Shine a Light is showing out of competition at the 58th Berlin Film Festival.

Paul Thomas Anderson's Oscar contender There Will Be Blood is among the 21 films battling to win the Golden Bear, along with Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky, and entries from Iranian director Majid Majidi and Japan's Yoji Yamada.

This year's winner will be chosen on 16 February by a six-member international jury led by Constantin Costa-Gavras, the Greek-born director of Z and Missing
7th February 2008 02:25 PM
PartyDoll MEG They all look great and healthy, especially Ronnie.. Mick never changes..although the closeups in that video were pretty scary!

And yes, Luxy....Mick's outfit was A++++
7th February 2008 02:32 PM
steel driving hammer Youtube link you bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?
7th February 2008 02:33 PM
gimmekeef Keith quoted above:

'As far as I was concerned we played 3 nights at the Beacon..."

Keith buddy wake up it was only two!..lmaaaaaoooooo
7th February 2008 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
Jeep wrote:

Hi Ju ! Beware of cat !

I like this !!!!!! :

7th February 2008 02:35 PM
PartyDoll MEG

This is only one so far..just a teaser for ya, SDH!!

7th February 2008 02:36 PM
SweetVirginia Looks like plenty of fans were in the house:

7th February 2008 02:47 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
This is only one so far..just a teaser for ya, SDH!!

Thank you darling.

These are it so far,

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=rolling+stones+berlinale&search_type=

More will come.

Guess those Euro's are slow w/ the UTube...? lol
7th February 2008 02:51 PM
Slavegirl So exciting! Thank God we have something like this to keep our spirits lifted about or favorite band! I can only hope and pray that they will tour this year, next year, when I'm 80...any time would be good!! The band looks awesome, I really like Ronnie's suit with the flowery shirt and the silver tie! He has such cool style. Mick looks sexy as hell, Keith rock and roll and Charlie impeccable as always. Can't wait to see the film!!!
7th February 2008 04:13 PM
Bitch
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Keith quoted above:

'As far as I was concerned we played 3 nights at the Beacon..."

Keith buddy wake up it was only two!..lmaaaaaoooooo

Well KEEF's memory is a bit cloudy, but not totally wrong. They were supposed to play 3 nights at The Beacon, but the last one got cancelled suddenly. I remember that because I had a ticket for that cancelled night, and there was no make-up date. That was upsetting! But, happily I got into one of the Beacon shows, (sat with Glencar and Chevy) and I cannot wait to see how Marty puts it all together! Should be REALLY good.
7th February 2008 04:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:

Well KEEF's memory is a bit cloudy, but not totally wrong. They were supposed to play 3 nights at The Beacon, but the last one got cancelled suddenly. I remember that because I had a ticket for that cancelled night, and there was no make-up date. That was upsetting! But, happily I got into one of the Beacon shows, (sat with Glencar and Chevy) and I cannot wait to see how Marty puts it all together! Should be REALLY good.

There were only ever two scheduled shows at the Beacon (29th and 31st October). November 1st was to be used for reshoots of camera angles, and any dubbing required in case things hadnt worked out satisfactorily for the first two nights, and some fans were hired as extras. It was never going to be an actual concert.

The 31st October show was then postponed as Mick had a sore throat and it took place on 1st November instead. The post-production shoot scheduled for that date was then cancelled altogether.
7th February 2008 05:43 PM
mac_daddy variety review:

quote:
(Documentary)
A Paramount Classics release presented in association with Concert Event Prods. Intl. and Shangri-La Entertainment. Produced by Michael Cohl, Zane Weiner, Steve Bing, Victoria Pearman. Executive producers, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood. Co-producers, Joseph Reidy, Emma Tillinger. Co-executive producer, Jane Rose. Directed by Martin Scorsese.

With: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood, Christina Aguilera, Buddy Guy, Jack White III, Bill Clinton, Martin Scorsese.

By TODD MCCARTHY
The arc of the Rolling Stones’ evolving reputations -- from rock ‘n’ roll’s bad boys to its most beloved and resilient granddaddies -- can be traced by the most prominent guest stars in their early and late-career concert films: the Hell’s Angels in “Gimme Shelter” and former President Clinton and family in “Shine a Light.” Martin Scorsese’s energetic account of a Stones concert at Gotham’s Beacon Theater in fall 2006 takes full advantage of heavy camera coverage and top-notch sound to create an invigorating musical trip down memory lane, as well as to provoke gentle musings on the wages of aging and the passage of time. Revenue from home entertainment markets will far surpass that from limited theatrical runs, which launch in early spring after its Berlin Film Festival world preem Thursday night.

An old hand at contempo music docs dating back to his editing chores on “Woodstock,” Scorsese doesn’t attempt anything nearly as ambitious here as he did with the Band on “The Last Waltz” or with the epic Dylan piece “No Direction Home.” Other than initial glimpses of the helmer planning the shoot and fretting over not having a song list in advance, ”Shine a Light” doesn’t really bear much of the director’s imprint; it’s a proficient celebration of the band’s great songs, performing skills and durability, and perfectly enjoyable as such.

One hundred minutes of the two-hour film are devoted to the show itself -- more than 20 numbers, mostly Stones standards performed with some but not much variation on the way they’ve been played for up to 40 years or more. As the band’s concerts always have been, “Shine a Light” is mostly a Mick Jagger show, as a battery of great cinematographers (under the eye of lead d.p. Robert Richardson) keeps its cameras trained on him as he cavorts around the stage and penetrates the audience courtesy of a thrust platform; drummer Charlie Watts, guitarist Ronnie Wood and especially Keith Richards warrant occasional cutaways, as do the numerous side musicians, but the star is the star.

As he always has, Jagger puts on a terrific show. For the past two or three tours now, he’s inspired admiring comments on what great shape he’s in, about how inexhaustibly he dances and runs and, in large arenas, scampers to the furthest corners of the stages and catwalks and never seems to lose his breath. Even though the Beacon’s more constrained playing area limits his mobility somewhat, he still obviously has what it takes, in spite of a voice no longer capable of either the tenderness or the insinuation of its youth.

Sixty-three at the time of the concert, Jagger is not entirely impervious to the ravages of time, and the relentless closeup scrutiny could not be more revealing -- not only of his taut muscle tone and evidently fat-free physique, but of his deeply lined face; some low-angle shots are so tight you can examine the dark bridgework on the back of his front teeth.

The band members’ endurance gains perspective through some wonderful interspersed clips and interview footage from earlier decades. Queried as to what question he is most frequently asked, a very young Jagger replies, “How long do you think you’re going to carry on singing?” In 1972, when Dick Cavett asks the star if he could imagine doing what he does at 60, Jagger immediately replies, “Easily.” Jagger’s and Richards’ youthful drug busts are briefly covered, although any mention of Brian Jones is conveniently avoided. But for all the group’s early unsavory reputation, by far the predominant impression Jagger conveys in the archival stuff is one of overwhelming sweetness.

After chugging along nicely for an hour, pic kicks into high gear -- and pretty much remains there -- when Jagger duets with charismatic, boom-voiced bluesman Buddy Guy on a wild old Muddy Waters tune, “Champagne and Reefer.” Jagger takes a break when Richards winningly knocks off “You Got the Silver” and “Connection,” and singers Jack White III and Christina Aguilera come aboard for one duet apiece.

Scorsese doesn’t push the comparison at all, but Jagger’s hard-working British persona and his advancing years sometimes put one in mind of modest but equivalent events of yesteryear, when old-time English music hall performers would run their venerable acts out before their adoring same-age fans one more time. Jagger is hardly at such an advanced point but, notwithstanding the bodacious 20-something babes strategically lining the stage, it’s no secret that most of the audience are boomers like Clinton, who is conspicuously present celebrating his birthday with family.

Pic is dedicated to longtime music guru Ahmet Ertegun, who, at 83, took a bad fall at the recorded concert and died shortly thereafter.

Camera (Technicolor/B&W, Deluxe prints), Robert Richardson; camera operators, Mitchell Amundsen, Pat Capone, Stuart Dryburgh, David Dunlap, Bob Elswit, Chris Haarloff, Tony Jannelli, Ellen Kuras, Robert Leacock, Andrew Lesnie, Emmanuel Lubezki, Anastas Michos, Declan Quinn, Andrew Rowlands, Gerard Sava, John Toll; camera in hand, Albert Maysles; editor, David Tedeschi; art director, Star Theodos; concert set design, Mark Fisher; concert lighting design, Patrick Woodroffe; sound (DTS/SDDS/Dolby Digital), Danny Michael, Gautam Choudhury; supervising sound editors, Phil Stockton, Fredric Rosenberg; re-recording mixer, Tomo Fleischman; music mixer, Bob Clearmountain; assistant director, Joseph Reidy. Reviewed at Paramount studios, Los Angeles, Feb. 5, 2008. (In Berlin Film Festival -- opener.) MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 122 MIN.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)