ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light Premiere Berlin 7.2.08 - Photos & Reports (Updated with infos of other premieres etc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7th March 2008 06:49 AM
Gazza I suppose I can live with waiting 9 days until it opens nationwide. A simulcast is hardly a premiere, really.

Still, its a nice idea to maximise publicity.
7th March 2008 11:12 AM
open-g The use of the word premiere has become a little streched, hasn't it?
I mean, how many premieres can movie have?
ok a world premiere and first time in a country...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiere

never the less I appreciate the media buzz too.
7th March 2008 12:34 PM
Bogle Just managed to grab my tickets for the Vue cinema in Leicester Square... does anyone know if that's the one actually 'hosting' the premiere- as in the red carpet and the boys in attendance?

Because I heard that would be at the Odeon in Leicester Square,not the Vue, but that's not on the list of venues, so I'm wondering if you can't actually get ticks for THE premiere on the open market?

Should be a blast either way!
7th March 2008 05:13 PM
Gazza The actual premiere (ie, with the Stones and the red carpet and all) will be the Odeon in Leicester Square as far as I'm aware.

Similar to Berlinale, I would doubt that they would be available to the public.
7th March 2008 10:56 PM
GotToRollMe Some photos from the SAL website:

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
7th March 2008 11:45 PM
glencar 4 weeks...
8th March 2008 02:05 PM
Bogle Thanks for the confirmation of where the premiere is being hel, Gazza- really looking forward to this!!
8th March 2008 02:47 PM
Honky Tonk Man I just booked two tickets to catch it as my local(ish) cinema. Was hoping to see it at the IMAX, but the site was a complete bastard today.
8th March 2008 03:20 PM
Gimme Shelter Can't wait for this movie!!!!
8th March 2008 08:48 PM
GotToRollMe Wow, Marty makes the boys looks positively gigantic!

10th March 2008 04:59 AM
Ade thank you - nice photos
10th March 2008 02:41 PM
rogerriffin
quote:

Those maracas were bought in Monterrey the day of the show!
10th March 2008 10:14 PM
mgraham1 dear rolling,

my name is michel. i like your band .
email mgraham @wildwood.edu

for those about to rock, i salute your i am one of your biggest fans.

12th March 2008 07:04 PM
RichardHurrah
quote:
rogerriffin wrote:

Those maracas were bought in Monterrey the day of the show!

Yeah and the tambourines have been stolen to Bob years ago...
Still wondering where the water bottles are coming from... well, humm, we can but anything in water bottles except Pastis, that'll turn them yellow
13th March 2008 07:36 PM
chevysales
quote:
glencar wrote:
4 weeks...

good show wasn't it glenny????

memories for a lifetime these last few tours were for me... much different then the earlier years

now when is it coming to imax or any theater in connecticut?
[Edited by chevysales]
16th March 2008 06:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl WTF?

Just wondering why Ultrastar has no news about the tickets they promised for our participation in The Biggest Bang DVD Affiliate Program.

Even if we are not the affiliate that tracked the highest number of The Biggest Bang copies sold, at least we won a pair of tickets to the “nearest” first-run screening; also I have the impression that we won so we have an all-expenses paid trip to the film’s North American premiere with travel, accommodations and tickets to the NYC premiere at no cost.

We already asked, and I think soon we’ll have a reply, so we will give as promised those tickets to the regulars who participated.
17th March 2008 08:01 AM
PartyDoll MEG Just found this from SXSW.. this person wasn't enthralled:http://www.cinematical.com/2008/03/...-shine-a-light/

SXSW Review: Shine a Light

Concert films are constantly at war with themselves. If the musical act is transcendent, then a filmed document will never come close to reproducing the experience of seeing and hearing the act live, in the same way that an ordinary photograph can only serve, at best, as a reminder of a moment. Even a great, exact reproduction is still just a copy, not the original. If the act is merely average or worse, then why bother to record it?

The Rolling Stones have been captured performing in concert on film or tape numerous times, so the challenge that lay before Martin Scorsese was to do something different. After all, this is the man who redefined concert films with The Last Waltz in 1978, in which he eschewed the prevailing wisdom that a concert had to include generous allotments of time devoted to the concert goer's point of view. Instead, Scorsese kept the action tightly focused on the stage, allowing the audience to enjoy the interplay between the members of The Band and various guests who shared in the group's final performance. He balanced that with lively interviews; in the process, he helped to establish Robbie Robertson as a viable solo personality in the eyes of the film industry.

I should amend the previous paragraph to read like this: "The challenge that lay before Martin Scorsese was to do something different or so I thought!" As it turns out, my expectations for Shine a Light were far too high.

Because of Scorsese's track record as a documentarian, his legendary appreciation of music, and his expertise in using the soundtracks of his films to enhance the dramatic action, I imagined he was impelled to shoot the music doc because he had something new to say or because he wanted to coax some new insights from the group as they age into infinity. Instead, he made a routine documentary that could have been made by any competent director.

While I'm not a die-hard Stones fan, I definitely respect their legacy and can happily recall singing along many times with their hits over the years. There are probably at least 40-50 songs of theirs that are permanently burned into my memory banks, and I wouldn't have it any other way. (One of the more revealing moments of the doc comes when we see Mick Jagger compiling a set list, working from a printed list of song titles divided into categories such as "medium known," "well known," and 'the ones we don't really want to play again.') The concert, performed as a benefit at the Beacon Theatre in New York City, is razor-edged and sharply performed, at least to my ears. Watching it on a huge IMAX screen -- my first full-length experience with the format -- I was most impressed by the ear-splitting volume. I didn't feel the bass thumping in my chest, as I have at past live concert performances, and my ears didn't start bleeding, but it was definitely in the right vicinity to make you feel like you were right there at the Beacon Theatre.

Ah, but watching it -- there's the rub. Camera placement is always an issue for concert films. Neither the musical act nor the audience wants cameras getting in the way of the show, but if you're not going to have close-ups, then you might as well just plant the cameras next to a seat in the middle of the venue and let them roll. The thinking is that close-ups are essential to make you "feel like you're there," and also provides a view that you wouldn't get if you were actually in the venue.

That's been a decent working blueprint in in the past, but with IMAX the problem of close-ups is amplified. On the huge IMAX screen, with Mick Jagger's face the size of a building, I realized that a plethora of close-ups makes clear that Mick is performing, by which I mean, he's putting on a show for hundreds or thousands of people in the building, not performing for the camera. His exaggerated gestures, the extreme facial contortions, and the like, are perfect in front of large auditoriums, but in close-up you can see that he's playing to the cheap seats -- and looking right through you. While great actors can communicate volumes with their eyes, if you stare into Mick Jagger's eyes, nothing stares back. The same applies to Keith Richards and Ron Wood, and to guest performers Jack White and Christina Aguilera. (Buddy Guy is an exception. The man gives great stare.) The extreme amount of close-ups ends up distancing the viewer from the performer.

In a similar way, Shine a Light is profoundly obvious in its editing rhythms. Keith strums a chord to start a song, point camera at Keith. Mick sings, point camera at Mick. Ron Wood solos, point camera at Ron. Mick starts singing again, point camera at Mick, preferably in extreme close-up. It could be argued that Scorsese is simply sticking with the most dramatic action on stage at that moment, but Scorsese is a great filmmaker because he knows that some of the best, most revealing, most unexpected moments happen where and when you least expect them. What can't we have some variety? What can't we see what Ron Wood is doing when Mick is singing? Why can't we ever get close-ups of Chuck Leavell on keyboards?

And what's with the rote rotation of two or three songs followed by the most obviously ironic archival interview clips imaginable? Here's one such sequence: song, song, interview clip of Young Mick in the '60s: "How much longer do you think you'll be playing?" "Another year," cut to Old Mick in the 00's still playing. It's funny the first time, and then becomes a bit numbing. Didn't the Stones feel like talking, or do they feel they've said all they have to say at this stage of their careers?

As I noted above, I understand the limitations of concert films -- it sounds like the Stones absolutely did not want a cameraman on stage, etc. -- and I also understand that filmmakers cannot always get the clips they want. Most likely, if Scorsese's name were not on the film, I would have zero expectations and been pleasantly surprised to see that the Rolling Stones are still working hard in concert. But with Scorsese's name attached, I wanted more.

If you'd like to experience the Stones "live in IMAX," Shine a Light may be just the ticket. But if you're looking for something a little different, look elsewhere.

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
17th March 2008 11:36 AM
Gazza

"Some Girls" from the movie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1MDBGKLXA1WN8:mSOXCWJDNT83J
17th March 2008 12:03 PM
mrhipfl Some Girls sounds and looks friggin' sweet man. Very tight. A quick harp solo would have made it perfect.

Those bastards left out the funniest line of the song!!
"black girls just wanna get fucked all night I just don't have that much jam"
[Edited by mrhipfl]
17th March 2008 12:27 PM
Lavendar
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Some Girls sounds and looks friggin' sweet man. Very tight.

Ye-assssssssssssssssssss :]

Oh yah -- Thanks to 'GOT TO ROLL ME' for the Egg-cellent photos! :]]
[Edited by Lavendar]
17th March 2008 02:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Some Girls sounds and looks friggin' sweet man. Very tight. A quick harp solo would have made it perfect.

Those bastards left out the funniest line of the song!!
"black girls just wanna get fucked all night I just don't have that much jam"

He changed it to 'white girls' on the '99 tour as well.

Mick's getting a bit too PC in his old age.
18th March 2008 01:45 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

"Some Girls" from the movie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1MDBGKLXA1WN8:mSOXCWJDNT83J

Me likey. I just cranked that real loud in my office. Some people said "can you turn that down" and I replied "yeah, in four minutes", now a few minutes later I can hear people down the hall whistling the tune. Very gratifying.
18th March 2008 05:29 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He changed it to 'white girls' on the '99 tour as well.

Mick's getting a bit too PC in his old age.

I haven't heard an audio of the show, but I have a hunch they edited that part out because of the F-bomb. Mick drops a couple others in the movie, and one more might have lost them the PG-13 rating.
19th March 2008 03:08 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
4 weeks...

Hey Glenny, you going with the Shidoobs?
19th March 2008 09:39 PM
SweetVirginia He is!
Now, how about you, GTRM?
20th March 2008 12:19 PM
GotToRollMe It would've been nice seeing you and jaggergirl, SV, but I'll probably have to pass. Looks like there's quite a crowd going though. Enjoy!
21st March 2008 01:23 AM
glencar
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Hey Glenny, you going with the Shidoobs?

Yep. Please come! I need familiar faces. I'll get trashed!
21st March 2008 10:38 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yep. Please come! I need familiar faces. I'll get trashed!

LOL...I'll try, Glenny!
21st March 2008 01:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl She was hot with thanks to Pierre Da Silva, Promotion Manager at fnaclive.com is sharing this with us:

http://www.fnaclive.com/videos/9685#
21st March 2008 01:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

One minute of "She Was Hot" from SAL
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)