ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guns 'n' Roses Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
25th February 2006 12:19 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I got to see GNR with Metallica when they did a double bill tour with Motorhead opening back in '92, and they rocked. Also have seen STP and VR and their shows were incredible.

GNR,METALLICA, and MOTORHEAD

I envy you!
25th February 2006 08:56 AM
theanchorman I loved Guns...probably the last true rock stars of our era since Van Halen/ACDC...

But Axl was totally nuts (which also made him such a great frontman)

I just read a biography on the band and it said that Axl cancelled a show on the illusions tour because one of his "shrink" advisors/witchs said there was too much iron in the air that day...

which shows the guy was totally brainwashed....
25th February 2006 12:14 PM
Voodoo Scrounge I like them
25th February 2006 08:59 PM
gotdablouse New songs "demos" are pretty good actually, much better anything Slash has done for the past 10+ years, doesn't help that he can't write a decent song of course. They sound a bit like Queensryche at their best, think Empire.
26th February 2006 09:26 AM
theanchorman
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
New songs "demos" are pretty good actually, much better anything Slash has done for the past 10+ years, doesn't help that he can't write a decent song of course. They sound a bit like Queensryche at their best, think Empire.

Check out "Ain't Life Grand," which Jack Douglas produced...some fantastic songs there. And if you don't think he didn't write any good songs for Contraband - you're nuts...

Slash is the last guitar hero...
...the last great rock player that knew thast the blues were essential to being a player...

[Edited by theanchorman]
26th February 2006 06:20 PM
gotdablouse Don't know if I'm nuts, but after listening to these albums a few times, I can't say I remember any of the songs, the only vaguely memorable thing he ever wrote is Locomotion possibly. That doesn't prevent him from being a fabulous guitar player naturally, but most of the GnR songs were Izzy+Axl and a bit of Duff.
26th February 2006 06:47 PM
Soldatti I heard the new songs and it's ok, I like There Was a Time (aka TWAT)
26th February 2006 06:54 PM
gotdablouse I'd say they are more than "OK", and if the rest of the songs are as good as these three, this will be classic album right out of the gate, 15 years since the last one of course so that helps filter out the filler material. Too bad the Stones didn't use that approach for ABB and just went about it as if they had released a new album last year starting from scratch.
26th February 2006 09:16 PM
pdog
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
I'd say they are more than "OK", and if the rest of the songs are as good as these three, this will be classic album right out of the gate, 15 years since the last one of course so that helps filter out the filler material. Too bad the Stones didn't use that approach for ABB and just went about it as if they had released a new album last year starting from scratch.

The Stones haven't been making ABB for 8 years... Axl has been making this record for about 14 years...
26th February 2006 11:33 PM
winter
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
I'd say they are more than "OK", and if the rest of the songs are as good as these three, this will be classic album right out of the gate, 15 years since the last one of course so that helps filter out the filler material. Too bad the Stones didn't use that approach for ABB and just went about it as if they had released a new album last year starting from scratch.

crack pipe please -
26th February 2006 11:35 PM
winter
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

Slash is the last guitar hero...
...the last great rock player that knew thast the blues were essential to being a player...

[Edited by theanchorman]

the crack pipe and the needles please? Slash is to the blue what Ricky Martin is to the blues

Long hair, and a lame hat doesn't make you a great blues player

wintah,
27th February 2006 03:10 AM
Mathijs These demo's were recorded in late '97, and half of the demo's are live (taken from Rock in Rio I believe).

Nobody knows what to expect. Stories are that Rose spent millions in the studio, but aside from the (excellent) End of Days soundtrack, all new tracks that have come out either as a demo or live, were half finished, rough ideas. Also, his voice has changed considerably. It must be the hardest thing in the world: leaving the public arena as one of the biggest rock gods in the world (GnR were the biggest band since the Beatles and the Stones), and trying to comeback when expectations are so high while your voice is gone, and only a half-baked product to offer.

And of course, just as none of the Stones' solo albums is as good as any Stones album by far, this is also the case with the members of GnR. GnR needs Axl, Slash and Izzy, just as the Stones need Jagger, Richards and Watts.

Mathijs
27th February 2006 04:25 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
winter wrote:

the crack pipe and the needles please? Slash is to the blue what Ricky Martin is to the blues

wintah,

crack pipe is there!!

anyone here has readen the article of Chuck Klosterman about GNR tribute band called paradise City?
fuckin hilarious!!!
27th February 2006 04:53 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
These demo's were recorded in late '97, and half of the demo's are live (taken from Rock in Rio I believe).

Nobody knows what to expect. Stories are that Rose spent millions in the studio, but aside from the (excellent) End of Days soundtrack, all new tracks that have come out either as a demo or live, were half finished, rough ideas

Hum...usual "I know it all", what's the friggin' point ?! WTF is your source for this ? IRS, TWAT and Better are most likely new songs, not from 1997, especially Better that was mentioned in a recent interview.

"half of the demo's are live" ? These would be live recordings then. Are you maybe referring to that compilation some dude put together on the newsgroup ?

Anyone interested in discussing GnR seriously should check out alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr no RO equivalent unfortunately.

@pdog - my point exactly, maybe it would have been a better idea for Mick and Keith to put together the best stuff they wrote since 1997 rather than make a record as if they had put one out the year before like they did until the end of the 70s.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
27th February 2006 06:56 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Ah. What is the best Izzy album?

117 degrees and Ju Ju Hounds........Gett'em both - you won't be disappointed.
27th February 2006 07:00 AM
speedfreakjive [quote)
@pdog - my point exactly, maybe it would have been a better idea for Mick and Keith to put together the best stuff they wrote since 1997 rather than make a record as if they had put one out the year before like they did until the end of the 70s.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
[/quote]

good point.
27th February 2006 07:08 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
These demo's were recorded in late '97, and half of the demo's are live (taken from Rock in Rio I believe).

Nobody knows what to expect. Stories are that Rose spent millions in the studio, but aside from the (excellent) End of Days soundtrack, all new tracks that have come out either as a demo or live, were half finished, rough ideas. Also, his voice has changed considerably. It must be the hardest thing in the world: leaving the public arena as one of the biggest rock gods in the world (GnR were the biggest band since the Beatles and the Stones), and trying to comeback when expectations are so high while your voice is gone, and only a half-baked product to offer.

And of course, just as none of the Stones' solo albums is as good as any Stones album by far, this is also the case with the members of GnR. GnR needs Axl, Slash and Izzy, just as the Stones need Jagger, Richards and Watts.

Mathijs

My thoughts axactly, down deep I'm sure Axl knows this too and this is why he's waitied so long to relase it, since he knows its with all no name players. Too bad he's pissed off all the ex members too much to ever have any of them play in the band again.
27th February 2006 07:13 AM
winter
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

crack pipe is there!!

anyone here has readen the article of Chuck Klosterman about GNR tribute band called paradise City?
fuckin hilarious!!!

It's also a chapter in his book, Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs - I highly recommend it.

Very funny stuff
27th February 2006 07:51 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
winter wrote:

It's also a chapter in his book, Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs - I highly recommend it.

Very funny stuff

sounds good wintah.need to catch it!
27th February 2006 07:51 AM
Mathijs >>
Hum...usual "I know it all", what's the friggin' point ?!
WTF is your source for this ? IRS, TWAT and Better are most likely new songs, not from 1997, especially Better that was mentioned in a recent interview.
>>

IRS, TWAT and Better were titles mentioned already in 1997, and were already rumoured to circulate in '97. These rough demo's (they are clearly unfinished product, not something you would expect after $13 million studio time) were recorded in '97 and send out to various musicians. Rumour has it that soon another three tracks will be available: "The Prostitute", "(The) General" and "Catcher in the Rye". The source of the demo's is unknown, but they have been rumoured since '97. They are not the same source as the radio broadcast from 2003.

>>
"half of the demo's are live" ? These would be live recordings then. Are you maybe referring to that compilation some dude put together on the newsgroup ?
>>

The "bloody roses remaster" are live recordings from Rock in Rio (meaning "live on stage in front of an audience"), and remastered. These are not studio recordings.

Mathijs
27th February 2006 08:47 AM
duck If you like the stones check this shit out. Izzy Stradlin
1.Ju Ju Hounds
3.Ride on
4.River
5.On Down the Road
6.Like a Dog
27th February 2006 08:56 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
duck wrote:
If you like the stones check this shit out. Izzy Stradlin
1.Ju Ju Hounds
3.Ride on
4.River
5.On Down the Road
6.Like a Dog

the 2 first are masterpiece!
the rest...hum hum
27th February 2006 09:25 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I have the demos for the Guns and Roses long awaited album "Chinese Democracy".

I got them from a friend, I am not sure where he got them from and I dont know if they are hard to get hold of, but there is some good stuffon there.

If anyone would like to get hold of them, I would be prepared to try and get them online here.
27th February 2006 10:01 AM
duck hum hum. I would rank River and On down the road ahead of 117. Like a dog is a little too heavy for me.
27th February 2006 10:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
duck wrote:
Like a dog is a little too heavy for me.

Same here.
And too repetitive.
Izzy is a great musician that should try to make something else than the classic "1,2,3,4 go" IMHFO.
27th February 2006 06:56 PM
gotdablouse Yes Izzy apparently ran out of ideas after the UYIllusion CDS, pretty amazing really but a likely indication that Axl was tidying up his songs for release.

"IRS, TWAT and Better were titles mentioned already in 1997, and were already rumoured to circulate in '97. These rough demo's (they are clearly unfinished product, not something you would expect after $13 million studio time) were recorded in '97 and send out to various musicians. Rumour has it that soon another three tracks will be available: "The Prostitute", "(The) General" and "Catcher in the Rye". The source of the demo's is unknown, but they have been rumoured since '97. They are not the same source as the radio broadcast from 2003. "

Ok back to some actual discussion rather than "trashing", good! Having said that, I've been a big fan of GnR since at least 1990 following the NG where any info surfaces pretty much in RT and I have NEVER HEARD anything about these demos circulating, again, any source you care to mention ? As for CITRye there are 9 seconds available already and it's pretty groovy, think Mr.Brownstone.

Honestly, I don't think these are demos at all, but stuff leaked by the recording company and/or an insider to ramp up interest, that and the "Private Listening Party" in NYC are too close for comfort. Anyway the good news is that these songs are excellent and the CD is ready. If there two or three other songs of that caliber it's going to be a massive hit, mark my words!
27th February 2006 09:20 PM
theanchorman
quote:
winter wrote:

wintah,

Slash is a blues-based rock guitar player...you're comparison to Ricky Martin shows you have a tiny penis....
27th February 2006 11:51 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

Slash is a blues-based rock guitar player...you're comparison to Ricky Martin shows you have a tiny penis....

_____

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Good God I love this place!!!!!!!!!
28th February 2006 03:25 AM
Mathijs >>
Ok back to some actual discussion rather than "trashing", good! Having said that, I've been a big fan of GnR since at least 1990 following the NG where any info surfaces pretty much in RT and I have NEVER HEARD anything about these demos circulating, again, any source you care to mention ?
>>

Mst sources are actually guitar magazines: most guitarists playing on the album mentioned these demos and these titles. Also within tape trading circles, the demo has long been talked about -of course no nobody who claimed anything could show the actual tapes.

>>
If there two or three other songs of that caliber it's going to be a massive hit, mark my words!
>>

Well, I hope so! I am a fan since my first ever GnR gig (Paradiso Amsterdam '87, I was 13 years old!), and to me, Axl is the weirdest, stangest, dangerous rock star, and especially in the early days (the Ritz days), he was plain sex on stage. Apperently, the name GnR is still good enough for massive crowds, and no doubt about it the album will reach number one all over the world. But, it isn't entirely my cup of tea...I don't like Axl's new image of white rapper, with his horrible clothing and braids. His voice has changed, and I don't like the musicians in his new band, I find especially the guitarists awful. Let's hope the album will be out soon!

Mathijs
28th February 2006 04:28 AM
IanBillen
Their will be no G&R comeback.

He had his chance a few years back and wasn't showing up for a show or two and was incredibly late to another. The fans actually rioted at one venue.

Their Ticket Selling Company (which I believe was Ticket Master) pulled the plug because Axl was unstable and was cancelling shows.

This was Axl's LAST chance at anything. He blew it....as basically anyone would figure he would.

Nobody will sponsor a G&R tour now. IT has been WAY too long. G&R have not really any selling power any more as far as tickets go. And the very last chance Axl had to get together and save the G&R name (even though he was the only original member left) was fucked up by Axl himself.

Chinese Democracy is an Industry long running joke. The record company (Geffen) said it wasn't their responsibility any more because the dude couldn't get it together. They lost SO much money on it. They put in three, count em, three different producers to try and get that thing flown and none of them could get Axl to get his shit together.

His career is over. G&R have not had the same members forever anyhow. They stopped being the original group way long ago. A band that could of possibly ended up being one of the top ten bands that ever graced the planet.....as far as I'm concerened....fell prey to success. They could handle LA. But could not handle sucess.

Dinky Den in The Pen

Ian
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)