ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guns 'n' Roses Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
24th February 2006 06:33 AM
speedfreakjive Back again.

Just wanna guage the RO concensus on G 'n' R.
I reckon they're one of the best rock bands of the last 20 years.
I mean Slash's riffs are mind blowing, and Axl was a good singer in his day.
Obviously Appetite is the best album, nearly every song smokes.

Apparently Slash was at a Stones session in the 80's, I think for Steel Wheels, and he dared to suggest a change in guitar on one of the tracks Keith was working on. From what I've heard, Keef promptly ripped Slash (pun not intended)apart. He's got balls though
24th February 2006 06:35 AM
FotiniD Love the Guns 'n' Roses too. Mark of a whole generation, if you ask me. OK, they might have done their fair share of posing, but hey, I didn't mind as long as they cut such great songs. And a great live act as well.

But do I see it hapenning again in 2005? Hardly possible. And this Chinese Democracy album has been underway for so long it's acquired legendary status. I really wonder what's it going to sound like.
24th February 2006 06:39 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Love the Guns 'n' Roses too. Mark of a whole generation, if you ask me. OK, they might have done their fair share of posing, but hey, I didn't mind as long as they cut such great songs. And a great live act as well.

But do I see it hapenning again in 2005? Hardly possible. And this Chinese Democracy album has been underway for so long it's acquired legendary status. I really wonder what's it going to sound like.

Indeed.
I really can't see it being the same without Slash, he really was half of the axis.
I thought their posing was very funny!
I loved Slash's top hat too, very cool.
24th February 2006 06:50 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Back again.

Just wanna guage the RO concensus on G 'n' R.
I reckon they're one of the best rock bands of the last 20 years.
I mean Slash's riffs are mind blowing, and Axl was a good singer in his day.
Obviously Appetite is the best album, nearly every song smokes.

Apparently Slash was at a Stones session in the 80's, I think for Steel Wheels, and he dared to suggest a change in guitar on one of the tracks Keith was working on. From what I've heard, Keef promptly ripped Slash (pun not intended)apart. He's got balls though

The session you're talking about is the "Thru And Thru" song from Voodoo Lounge. Slash said he could play some cool blues leads over it and Keith basically said it was fine how it was.
24th February 2006 06:53 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

The session you're talking about is the "Thru And Thru" song from Voodoo Lounge. Slash said he could play some cool blues leads over it and Keith basically said it was fine how it was.

yes, i was doubtful, i read about it in Victor Bokris' biography of Keith a long time ago.
24th February 2006 06:58 AM
Break The Spell Slash was indeed brave to make such a suggestion, but if Keith wants it a certain way, thats how its gonna be.
24th February 2006 07:29 AM
Jumacfly they were great,but their "mediatic" end was a disaster...I mean "november rain", Axl's behaviour, etc etc....Lies is a masterpiece.So are "sweet child o mine" or "you could be mine"(what a great intro)
they were part of the rock revival post 80's.

the new guns? gimme a break,remind me the Jagger solo era.

my fav, Izzy did precious records, but sadly the 2 or 3 last are quite the same and boring.

stay strong and beautiful

[Edited by Jumacfly]
24th February 2006 07:32 AM
Break The Spell The new demos don't really sound like Guns at all, but Axl's the only member left that people will know, so maybe thats why. The music wasn't too good, and he's lost a lot of power in his voice. I have to wonder why its taken 12 years to come up with stuff like this!!
24th February 2006 08:13 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
The new demos don't really sound like Guns at all, but Axl's the only member left that people will know, so maybe thats why. The music wasn't too good, and he's lost a lot of power in his voice. I have to wonder why its taken 12 years to come up with stuff like this!!

could you tell us howe does it sound?
is it more pop oriented, rock, indus??
24th February 2006 09:01 AM
lotsajizz having seen GnR with Slash and without, I can state without equivocation that the Slash-less band is better

the 2002 GnR tour was fucking incredible--what a band!! too bad their singer is bonkers and had a breakdown after just nine or so US dates...they actually rocked harder and better the closer they got to Axl's meltdown (part vi)

a damn shame that boy could not have found the proper medication back in the mid-90's

24th February 2006 09:04 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

could you tell us howe does it sound?
is it more pop oriented, rock, indus??

One song was musically like Use Your Illusion II, but on his vocals he struggled to hit the high marks. One was called "Better", it was like techno based hard rock with a drum machine, the others had some electronica feel to them as well. I don't know if these demos were made with a drum machine because there was no drummer at the time, or if thery will really stay that way for the actual album. If your looking for "Appetite" style songs you'll be let down. The most straight foward sounding rocker was called "Madagascar".
24th February 2006 09:22 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

One song was musically like Use Your Illusion II, but on his vocals he struggled to hit the high marks. One was called "Better", it was like techno based hard rock with a drum machine, the others had some electronica feel to them as well. I don't know if these demos were made with a drum machine because there was no drummer at the time, or if thery will really stay that way for the actual album. If your looking for "Appetite" style songs you'll be let down. The most straight foward sounding rocker was called "Madagascar".

whoho, that sounds scary!!
thanks for the info mate!
24th February 2006 09:27 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

whoho, that sounds scary!!
thanks for the info mate!

No problem. Again, these were just demos so maybe by the time the thing comes out (which could be this year or 2012 for all we know) it will be with an actual drummer. We shall wait and see.
24th February 2006 10:34 AM
Monkeytonk-man G 'n' R are playing the Dowload festival at donnigton this Summer, along with Metallica, sounds like its gonna be a good 'un.

8 - 10 of june. go check 'em out. should be good!
24th February 2006 11:42 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Monkeytonk-man wrote:
G 'n' R are playing the Dowload festival at donnigton this Summer, along with Metallica, sounds like its gonna be a good 'un.

8 - 10 of june. go check 'em out. should be good!

Unless Axl has another breakdown. Time will tell!!
24th February 2006 11:42 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
having seen GnR with Slash and without, I can state without equivocation that the Slash-less band is better

the 2002 GnR tour was fucking incredible--what a band!! too bad their singer is bonkers and had a breakdown after just nine or so US dates...they actually rocked harder and better the closer they got to Axl's meltdown (part vi)

a damn shame that boy could not have found the proper medication back in the mid-90's

no, no, no
Slash is THE MAN!!

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
24th February 2006 11:46 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

no, no, no
Slash is THE MAN!!

When Slash and Duff quit about 10 years back they said it was because the music and band had turned into "Axl's solo project" and with the revolving line-up since then I can see what they mean. Believe it or not, the most consistent member other than Axl has been Dizzy Reed on keyboards.
24th February 2006 11:49 AM
Ihavelotsajam I always had a thing for Patience, what a pretty song.

Having said that, the Illusion albums are way too bloated. Stuff like Novermber Rain which just goes on and on and the strings kick in and, Christ...
Stuff like Coma and Estranged go on for way to long.

Anyway, AFD was a *good* album, but what made it better was just the comparison to the Poisons and Cinderellas and Bon Jovis of the 80s. Standing on its own, I think both the album, and GnR as a whole, are overrated.
24th February 2006 12:02 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I always had a thing for Patience, what a pretty song.

Having said that, the Illusion albums are way too bloated. Stuff like Novermber Rain which just goes on and on and the strings kick in and, Christ...
Stuff like Coma and Estranged go on for way to long.

Anyway, AFD was a *good* album, but what made it better was just the comparison to the Poisons and Cinderellas and Bon Jovis of the 80s. Standing on its own, I think both the album, and GnR as a whole, are overrated.

I quite like Get In The Ring for comedy value
24th February 2006 12:26 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I quite like Get In The Ring for comedy value

When I listen to that song now, I imagine him yelling those insults at former band members rather than magazine editors, the press, etc.
24th February 2006 12:32 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

no, no, no
Slash is THE MAN!!

Slash is lame....his Snakepit was one of two concerts I fell asleep at (the other being Joni Mitchell)
Buckethead had more talent in his left pinky than Saul from Long Island.

24th February 2006 12:36 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Slash is lame....his Snakepit was one of two concerts I fell asleep at (the other being Joni Mitchell)

Buckethead is good, but he left before he got to record with the band also, like many others these past 10 years. I think he was part of that tour in 02 that last about 2 weeks.
24th February 2006 01:03 PM
pdog No Izzy Stradlin, no G&R... I don't care who else is in the band...
Why?
Izzy was to G&R what Keith is to The Stones.
24th February 2006 01:05 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

his latest band, Velvet Revolver is good man
24th February 2006 01:06 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
No Izzy Stradlin, no G&R... I don't care who else is in the band...
Why?

Sadly, Izzy is long gone, he's one in a long line of musicians these past 15 years who became disillusioned with "Axl's solo band" as many have called it.
24th February 2006 01:09 PM
winter
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

his latest band, Velvet Revolver is good man

Velvet Revolver is good, but I miss STP. A G'n'R re-union would be good in my book, as it might lead to an STP re-union. Scott Weiland, deservedly, gets a ton of shit, but he is one of the best front men out their these days.

wintah
24th February 2006 01:10 PM
winter
quote:
pdog wrote:
No Izzy Stradlin, no G&R... I don't care who else is in the band...
Why?

Love izzy, also have a couple of his solo cds - highly recommended.

wintah,
24th February 2006 01:11 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
winter wrote:

Velvet Revolver is good, but I miss STP. A G'n'R re-union would be good in my book, as it might lead to an STP re-union. Scott Weiland, deservedly, gets a ton of shit, but he is one of the best front men out their these days.

wintah

Their cover of No More, No More was actually pretty good.
24th February 2006 01:16 PM
nanatod
quote:
winter wrote:

wintah,

In another vein, I don't know about Gilby Clarke's solo CD's, but Gilby Clarke's live solo shows, especially with LA Guns were pretty interesting, especially when Tracy Guns would duet on guitar with Gilby.
24th February 2006 01:19 PM
pdog
quote:
winter wrote:

wintah,

I really like his solo stuff... I don't like anything the other members have done outside of G&R, and I don't like what Axl is deeming as G&R...
It's not G&R, it's his solo project using the name of G&R...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)