ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soccer & Beckham Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
13th January 2007 03:13 AM
egon Back to tpoic.

Beckham is a cock & his wife roadkill.
they'll do well in beveryl hills!
13th January 2007 05:54 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
Back to tpoic.

Very well said!!
the man has lost his ability and was pathetic during the world cup.
his wife is born pathetic.
Welcome to California!
13th January 2007 08:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

no one here over the age of 25 give a hoot about the game

No one over 25 matters.
13th January 2007 09:28 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Doxa wrote:

Why should I know about some particular national games played in some particular part of the world? Have you played Finnish national game called 'pesäpallo'? Oh you haven't. It is a variant of baseball, but I don't really require you to know it.

But what goes for football (the real international one, not the local one where one is allowed to play the ball with hands) - that belongs to another level. Of course you know the game because you can not be so much 'odd man out'. That's the language the world speaks. Knowing football is like knowing that the earth revolves the sun, or that The Rolling Stones is the the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Of course you CAN deny those things, if you want, but it doesn't look very good for you...

- Doxa

No my friend...what does not look good is a person who has played few sports passing judgment on what is the "greatest" game on earth...as opposed to what game is the most popular...they say ignorance is bliss...you seem very happy
13th January 2007 09:31 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
egon wrote:
Back to tpoic.

He'll help sell tickets...but I can't see him making any great impact...he did not come here to play soccer...he came here to be a star...he is the Terell Owens of soccer
[Edited by Fiji Joe]
13th January 2007 09:36 AM
lotsajizz T.O. never made such a stupid marital decision....
13th January 2007 09:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man Its a culture thing. I don't dislike American footballat all, I just don't know it. It isn't part of who I am. I suspect it is the same for Americans here who cannot connect with our football. I think it should be left at really to be honest.
13th January 2007 09:55 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Its a culture thing. I don't dislike American footballat all, I just don't know it. It isn't part of who I am. I suspect it is the same for Americans here who cannot connect with our football. I think it should be left at really to be honest.

I don't disagree with that at all...to each his own...but the point of this thread was Beckham and soccer in America...so, someone would have to know quite a bit about American sports to start debating with me about its impact in this country...As I said, depending on the stakes, I can watch and even enjoy soccer...but to suggest that we're whack because it's not the most popular sport here assumes the person suggesting such knows enough about the other sports that are played here...I'm not saying you did that by the way

13th January 2007 10:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
to suggest that we're whack because it's not the most popular sport here assumes the person suggesting such knows enough about the other sports that are played here...I'm not saying you did that by the way

No one's seriously suggesting that. For a guy who can dish out stereotyped insults quite easy, youre a tad insensitive when it comes to taking a bit back. It would be easier to suggest you're implying the rest of the world are inferior,faggots or little more than asthmatic kids because they dont appreciate 'manly' sports like the ones you choose to follow.
[Edited by Gazza]
13th January 2007 10:20 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No one's seriously suggesting that. For a guy who can dish out stereotyped insults quite easy, youre a tad insensitive when it comes to taking a bit back. It would be easier to suggest you're implying the rest of the world are inferior,faggots or little more than asthmatic kids because they dont appreciate 'manly' sports like the ones you choose to follow.
[Edited by Gazza]

I actually didn't catch anyone throwing out stereotypical insults...should I have?...and I don't think disagreeing with someone makes me "insensitive"...Gazza...I'm the least bit upset about what anyone here has said...if you see otherwise, look again...and I can see where you might think I was suggesting such about the rest of the world ("inferior, faggots, etc")...but I wasn't...I was simply playing on the soccer stereotype as it exists in America...which was, I thought, the point of this thread...and that stereotype is very much the reality here...it is, for the most part, the lesser athletes that play soccer here...that's the truth of the matter...that is not to say that there aren't some good athletes playing the game on the highest level here, but it is not the general rule...most Americans who play or have played sports know this...will it change?...is it changing?...we'll see

I'm not suggesting inferior athletes play soccer worldwide...given it's popularity, I'm guessing the best athletes in other parts of the world play the sport...quite gifted at what they do...

As I said, I'm not the least bit sensitive about what others are saying...mostly because as it relates to soccer in America, I'm right...I think you really have to have an appreciation of youth sports in this country to know where I'm coming from...not sure that can be accomplished on a message board
13th January 2007 10:22 AM
glencar Besides, everyone knows that the asthmatics & faggots here like cricket better.
13th January 2007 10:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Besides, everyone knows that the asthmatics & faggots here like cricket better.

Thats better
13th January 2007 10:27 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thats better

Well...that's an interesting question...what do the lesser athlets play in the UK?...if anything
13th January 2007 10:37 AM
Gazza Well, you do require some level of athleticism to play cricket - not so much as football though (if anything, I'd say cycling requires more athletic ability than pretty much any sport along with track athletics, but thats another argument)

To answer your question - darts or snooker!

And yes, both sports actually get televised.
13th January 2007 10:44 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Well, you do require some level of athleticism to play cricket - not so much as football though (if anything, I'd say cycling requires more athletic ability than pretty much any sport along with track athletics, but thats another argument)

To answer your question - darts or snooker!

And yes, both sports actually get televised.

There aren't youth darts and snooker are there?...what other youth sports are there besides football?...here, a kid can get involved in a whole lot of sports...just about anything has some organization...I'm getting my boys into soccer, baseball and boxing...and my youngest likes to wrestle so he started that last week...but I'm thinking 4 years old is too young to be grappling...it's a little weird watching such small kids squaring off
13th January 2007 10:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man Less people in the States play soccer obvsiously, but I don't see how its only the less athletic that do so. How does weighing a shitload and charging up and down a pitch knocking people over make you more athlectic anyway? I'd bet Christiano Ronaldo could out run most of your lot!

13th January 2007 11:12 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I'd bet Christiano Ronaldo could out run most of your lot!

He couldn't play fourth string wide receiver for the Hurricanes.....
13th January 2007 11:38 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Less people in the States play soccer obvsiously, but I don't see how its only the less athletic that do so. How does weighing a shitload and charging up and down a pitch knocking people over make you more athlectic anyway? I'd bet Christiano Ronaldo could out run most of your lot!

You are wasting your time HTM...You'll never convince these biased men that their "footballers" couldn't keep up on the field with Manchester Utd. Most of their favorite NFL Team wouldn't last 15 minutes on the pitch..

That is beside the point. "Soccer" does not have the big money commitment here in the USA, and consequently that commitment filters its way all the way down to the youth programs. So it is a long uphill battle for those in this country, who do play the sport and love it. And believe me "Soccer" is not played by asthmatics and inferior athletes..You would have to be a complete fool not to realize the athleticism needed to play the sport.

But the "cream of the crop" athletes here go where the money is...and unfortunately it is not to MLS Leagues. I do think that Beckham can help the sport in the US, unless Hollywood gets too him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just a "chicky" viewpoint...and I love football!!!
13th January 2007 11:54 AM
Starbuck this thread is awesome.

a few comments:

1. whatever sports you love most are a product of what you grew up with, and what you got into when you were a kid. in europe, that is soccer. here, it is any one of the big four.

2. all my european friends made fun of american football because of the pads and the helmets. all i can say is, if you don't know why they wear such protection you've never watched a game. when you get 300 pound men running full speed at you trying to rip your head off - and throwing their 300 lb bodies at you - you need some $#@!in protection. in rugby, they tackle, so less protection is needed. in football, they HIT - big difference.

3. it may seem like baseball may not be as physical as the other sports, but when you play 162 games in a season, not to mention a month plus of spring training, your body wears out. you need to be in tip top shape. also, radio plays a huge part in baseball's success: the game is made for the radio, and you can be doing something else while listening to a game. radio has helped the game thrive since it was first used in the 30s to broadcast games.

4. no one can deny the athleticism in soccer. but it will not catch on here, for the advertising reasons ledoux brought up earlier.

5. moonie, baseball is for girls?? i am so disappointed in you.
13th January 2007 12:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

There aren't youth darts and snooker are there?...what other youth sports are there besides football?...here, a kid can get involved in a whole lot of sports...just about anything has some organization...I'm getting my boys into soccer, baseball and boxing...and my youngest likes to wrestle so he started that last week...but I'm thinking 4 years old is too young to be grappling...it's a little weird watching such small kids squaring off

No..those sports arent 'formally' played at youth level. Just socially..LOL..The system here is diffrent in that you have (unless I'm mistaken) college scholarships for potential sportsmen. Here, if you want to be a professional footballer, you could be taken on by a club when youre at school and then developed through coaching etc, but you could be playing the game professionally by the time you're 16.

At school you're most likely to play football and rugby with athetics and cricket being in there too. Girls tend to play sports like hockey (ie, field hockey). For other sports (as well as the ones mentioned) you could also develop better if you join a club and play that way too.
13th January 2007 12:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
all my european friends made fun of american football because of the pads and the helmets. all i can say is, if you don't know why they wear such protection you've never watched a game. when you get 300 pound men running full speed at you trying to rip your head off - and throwing their 300 lb bodies at you - you need some $#@!in protection. in rugby, they tackle, so less protection is needed. in football, they HIT - big difference.

agree with what youre saying about American football and needing protection, but having played rugby as well, trust me - you get hit. And without protection, it fuckin hurts!
13th January 2007 12:43 PM
Starbuck one more thing: isn't beckham leaving to play here in the US like johan santana leaving the twins to pitch in napierville moose lodge #256 beerball league? or, perhaps more accurrately, me leaving this place to go post on the "my little pony and friends" message board?

are his skills in that much of a decline? and how in GOD's name is that team going to pay off a contract twice the size of Arod's?
13th January 2007 12:52 PM
PartyDoll MEG I guess "money" talks, Bucky!!

Oh Beckham is still a very talented footballer and he still has it..if he can get focused on the game.. And he will get the turnout of people who want to see him play, which is what the MLS needs and is hoping will happen.

Unfortunately..much of that money he is getting is coming from endorsements and we both know what that means in the good old USA. And of course. then there is the matter of his wife....

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
13th January 2007 12:59 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
this thread is awesome.

5. moonie, baseball is for girls?? i am so disappointed in you.

Game is old, outmashed, ain't got no bling-bling, man. 10-15 more years, it will be as white as hockass, with an obese fan base that can't decide whether to watch it or Nascar. As Kent Tekulve once said "I'm a fucking spazzmo, Clarence."

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/baseball/0330bbo-preview-blacks.html

13th January 2007 01:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
one more thing: isn't beckham leaving to play here in the US like johan santana leaving the twins to pitch in napierville moose lodge #256 beerball league? or, perhaps more accurrately, me leaving this place to go post on the "my little pony and friends" message board?

are his skills in that much of a decline? and how in GOD's name is that team going to pay off a contract twice the size of Arod's?

he still would have a couple of years at the top left. At this stage of his career, his next contract however would be his last

he's still by any stretch of the imagination a major talent but not at the level where he was from around 1998-2002 when he was probably one of the best players on the planet. In truth, he hasnt been the same force since his injury prior to the World Cup in 2002.

The MSL isnt that bad a league from what I've seen, but its a few levels below the standard that he's still capable of performing act (the best 3 in the world would be Spain, England and Italy - thats generally where the top stars (in their prime) end up and where the most money is). he's simply taking the money and going somewhere where he can maintain a high celebrity profile and still be marketable - without having his actual performances put under the scrutiny that would be the case if he was still playing in Europe.

Worth pointing out that Beckham relinquished the England captaincy after the World Cup and when the new coach came in afterwards, he decided (presumably because he felt the circus surrounding him was so much of a distraction) that he was no longer a part of his future plans. I think that if he still had a future in international football, he'd have stayed in Europe - however that kind of money is so incredible, who in their right mind would have turned it down?

And no, I've no idea how LA Galaxy are going to afford that kind of money.
13th January 2007 01:03 PM
Doxa
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

No my friend...what does not look good is a person who has played few sports passing judgment on what is the "greatest" game on earth...as opposed to what game is the most popular...they say ignorance is bliss...you seem very happy

Happy or not. But with that logic, do I need to hear every goddamn rock and roll band on earth from Siberia to Texas and back to be allowed to make the judgment that The Rolling Stones is the greatest?

Anyway, judging sports to 'better' or 'worse' ones sounds quite odd to me. You in America rate even those? To call one 'boring' - even though one in question happens to the world's most followed game - well, sounds a bit arrogant to my ears, and tells more about the person who says it than about the subject matter... I take it not to be an objective observation, but more like a personal opinion, and that's something to with assholes, right?

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
13th January 2007 01:13 PM
PartyDoll MEG While I was just watching Arsenal on Fox Soccer Channel, this just flashed along the bottom of the screen...Beckham LA Galaxy Jersey available for purchase now.....

Sure didn't take long for the $$$$ to kick in.....
13th January 2007 01:53 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Less people in the States play soccer obvsiously, but I don't see how its only the less athletic that do so. How does weighing a shitload and charging up and down a pitch knocking people over make you more athlectic anyway? I'd bet Christiano Ronaldo could out run most of your lot!

Well...if you want to get into the specifics we could...but just leave it at the fact that it's a sport that does not allow you to use your hands to any real degree...regardless...stamina ain't everything...if it were, marathons would be more popular than they are...I don't know what to tell you...that's the way it is here in the states...amongst the youth...for the time being
13th January 2007 01:54 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

He couldn't play fourth string wide receiver for the Hurricanes.....

Dude...he wouldn't even play in high school...I guess we all need to keeping an eye on Kenya...that's where the real runners are
13th January 2007 01:58 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

agree with what youre saying about American football and needing protection, but having played rugby as well, trust me - you get hit. And without protection, it fuckin hurts!

The irony of it is, those pads, IMO, actually cause more severe injuries...fellas get the feeling of invincibility and the impact of the hits becomes much more intense than it would be if they weren't wering helmets, etc....the number of players who become paralyzed is startling...I don't think the hits would be as big if they were not wearing pads...at least it wasn't before they started wearing pads...they didn't always wear pads you know?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)