ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soccer & Beckham Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
13th January 2007 02:01 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Doxa wrote:

Anyway, judging sports to 'better' or 'worse' ones sounds quite odd to me.

I agree...which is why I found the statement that soccer was the "greatest" puzzling...follow along...I never took this discussion there..I haven't proclaimed any sport the greatest...

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
13th January 2007 02:26 PM
Fiji Joe In any event, I find this intriguing

13th January 2007 03:02 PM
Bloozehound kick ass, Tina Turner

nice #1
13th January 2007 03:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man There are now 5 pages on a Rolling Stones message board dedicated to David Beckham. Who'd beleive it??
13th January 2007 03:30 PM
Honky Tonk Man The NFL is coming to the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/6248825.stm
13th January 2007 05:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The NFL is coming to the UK

.....and Paul Gadd is coming home soon.
13th January 2007 09:29 PM
glencar
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
In any event, I find this intriguing

WOW! Poor Cher, she had no idea what she was getting into. No, I'm not talking about her dress!
13th January 2007 09:30 PM
glencar Hahahahahahaha! Looks like Becks ahd an ulerior motive...

Score for Scientology?

Cruise may have lured Becks

BY ADAM NICHOLS
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Victoria Beckham (left) and Katie Holmes.
David Beckham gives ball the boot in shadow of Brooklyn Bridge in 2005. He and Victoria are such big fans of America - they named first child Brooklyn and are moving to California.
Scientology's chief cheerleader Tom Cruise helped tempt David Beckham to L.A., fueling speculation the soccer ace and his wife may become the church's next celebrity converts.

Beckham said yesterday a late-night phone chat with the "Mission: Impossible" star helped seal his decision to move stateside.

The soccer great and his wife, Victoria (Posh Spice) Beckham, are close buddies with Cruise and his spouse, Katie Holmes.

"I talked with [Cruise] for about an hour last night and an hour the night before," Beckham said at a news conference held yesterday to discuss his five-year, $250 million deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

"I asked him for his advice. ... He's a very wise man and a very good friend of mine. To have his experience and have him explain some things to me, that's a big favor," Beckham said.

"He couldn't speak any higher than what he was saying about L.A."

Though the couple has not publicly mentioned the controversial religion, Posh reportedly has accepted church literature from her new friends.

And she is lined up to play an alien bride in "The Thetan," a Cruise-backed movie about an immortal spiritual being Scientologists believe is present in all humans.

Beckham and Cruise met two years ago after being introduced by the Creative Artists Agency, which represented both.

Their wives have since become inseparable, taking trips to Paris fashion shows together and hanging out in L.A. Posh recently looked at a home for sale only five doors from Cruise's Beverly Hills mansion.

Holmes reportedly has made it her mission to turn Posh into a movie star, and has worked to line up meetings with the movers and shakers of the Hollywood scene - including Steven Spielberg.

But London's Daily Mail reported recently that she's also been talking to Posh about the religion founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard.

And the newspaper said the ex-Spice Girls singer was a prime target for the church, which has a dedicated wing aimed at recruiting high-profile stars.

Posh, who, like Holmes, was brought up Catholic, is perfect fodder because she is desperate for help to boost her celebrity status in America, the Daily Mail reported.

A spokeswoman for the Church of Scientology in Los Angeles said yesterday she could not confirm if the Beckhams had shown any interest in the religion.

"It is not something that I can answer for them," she said.

Beckham's move from Spanish club Real Madrid to the Los Angeles Galaxy makes him one of the world's highest-paid athletes.

But he said yesterday the money and celebrity status weren't reasons for his move.

"I'm coming there not to be a superstar," he told the L.A. news conference via a live satellite link from Madrid.

"I'm coming there to make a difference. I'm coming there to play football.

"I'm not saying me coming to the States is going to make soccer the biggest sport in America ... but I think soccer has a huge, huge potential."
14th January 2007 08:18 AM
chevysales
quote:
glencar wrote:
So will this latest import help America learn to love soccer? You just know it won't.

actually my friend the soccer explosion in this country has been going on for some time in different parts of the country.

don't know that beckham will do much about that and wonder where the heck they got that kind of money from.

but from a grammer school age thru college it is huge... along with on an olympic level. as for major league it is stuck in neutral.
14th January 2007 10:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
chevysales wrote:

don't know that beckham will do much about that and wonder where the heck they got that kind of money from.

As already discussed on this thread, there is afeeling Beckham made the move to boost his celebrity in the states. He may of coursre help make soccer a stronger force, but as long as he gets his mug on billboards there and rakes in the $$$, he'll be happy.

14th January 2007 10:27 AM
Doxa
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

As already discussed on this thread, there is afeeling Beckham made the move to boost his celebrity in the states. He may of coursre help make soccer a stronger force, but as long as he gets his mug on billboards there and rakes in the $$$, he'll be happy.

To go to play in US only $$$ in mind? Reminds me of other English Gentlemen who - instead of playing some cancelled gigs in Europe - decide to do another tour in America...

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
14th January 2007 07:04 PM
glencar And we're so HAPPY he did! Did you make the Boise show?
15th January 2007 11:21 PM
Captain Wank
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Fuck you assholes.

I played soccer. Even got paid for it. Shhhh. Don't tell the NCAA. I didn't get paid in college, but I did before i played in college. I ended up in the emergency room 3 times.

Never happened to me when I played football or basketball or baseball.

Broken ribs. Lacerated kidney. Blown out left knee. More concussions than Gerry Cooney. If you play right, you don't leave the soccer feild without bleeding. I'm 40 and I got arthritis in both knees. All from playing soccer.

But I agree that unless you played, it's boring as fuck to watch. gotta think way too much. Who the fuck wants to think.

I also went through an entire cheerleading squad in college...well, except for the one married chick.

When you say you went through an entire cheerleading squad, does that mean you ran them over in a pick up truck? If so, thanks for sparing the married one.

16th January 2007 01:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:
All this talk about soccer, football, David Beckham, etc. bores me. What we need is a Victoria Beckham appreciation thread. I'll start:

I'll end it.

talentless, charmless, self-obsessed, permanently frowning, stick-insect poser who would probably burst if she ate a proper meal.

next!
16th January 2007 02:57 PM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
nanatod wrote:
All this talk about soccer, football, David Beckham, etc. bores me. What we need is a Victoria Beckham appreciation thread. I'll start:

This particular photo is a fake. I remember this being in a tabloid over here a few months back and it isnt in fact her. I think they superimposed her head onto the modelsbody.

Anyhow, thats beside the point I am about to make. Posh (Victoria) and Becks are a name brand in this country and have been for a few years now. She used to be in a fairly lame girl band called the Spice Girls. Since they split, she has had very limited success in the music industry and was subsequently dropped by her record label a few years back.

I think Davidhas made the right choice in moving to the States to finnish his career. At fisrt, I wasnt too sure, but now I can say that with conviction and go some way to backing it up with an argument.

I would assume that there were a number of clubs in England wishing to sign David Beckham. Newcastle and Bolton were amongst those clubs. Beckham could have come here and earned the same money he was earning at Real, but heused his brain (Something people seem to think he cant do) and realised that he is past his best and he realised that he would not make an impact.

The spanish game is a lot slower than the Premiership. The English Premiership is the fastest and best league in the world. I know thats up for argument, but I think the majority of football fans would agree with that. I that the Italian league is only mildly slower than the premiership and had Beckham moved there, he would be faced with the same problem.

The USA will provide him with money AND a challenge!
16th January 2007 03:09 PM
Jumping Jack There is less interest in Beckham coming to the US than there is in the NFL coming to the UK.

Beckham is a candyass who when last seen ran out of gas and quit in the biggest game of his life and was humiliated.

I am glad he is cashing in. He'll make a dandy show pony!
16th January 2007 03:21 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
nanatod wrote:

[Edited by nanatod]

Kinda horsey....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)