ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soccer & Beckham Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12th January 2007 05:36 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

They're not going to pursue it for several other reasons, too

One - The sport doesnt have the infrastructure for too many to make a career in it after leaving school or college (although thats improved of late)

Two - other more traditional American sports are simply far better paid.

Unless you're David Beckham, who it now seems is going to be the highest paid athlete in the US. For playing football!

All true..and on top of that, it's just not that exciting...sorry...but it isn't...I know where you're coming from...I get in the same debates with a lot of pasty whites over here about baseball...playing the sport does help you understand it, but some sports are, at their essence, slower and yes, more boring than others
12th January 2007 06:15 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
Gazza, it's called "soccer" here!

Glenny, he knows it is called "soccer" here. The rest of the world calls it football, OK?

And if in the rest of the world a "water buffalo" was what we called a "camera", I sure as hell wouldn't go to Italy or the country of your choice and ask for a camera!!!! Geeesh.........
12th January 2007 06:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Gazza, it's called "soccer" here!

I refuse to call a game 'football' when theres only about 3 players in a 45-man squad who are actually allowed to kick the fuckin' thing!
12th January 2007 06:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man Am I wrong in thinking that football (soccer) is getting more popular in the States? From what I've read, the younger generation is really getting into it, it's just the oldies and those raised on baseball, basketball etc who fail to understand. At the end of the day, it is the most popular and GREATEST sport in the world.

Beckham is a good player, I just feel it’s a little premature for him to be playing in a league which will not require him to play to his full potent ional. All the greats like Pele, George Best and so on played there after their prime and after they'd achieved all they could in Europe. I think Beckham is there for two reasons. The dollars and the celebrity circus which is LA. Good luck to him, but he's disappointed me and I wasn't a huge fan in the first place.
12th January 2007 06:46 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that football (soccer) is getting more popular in the States? From what I've read, the younger generation is really getting into it, it's just the oldies and those raised on baseball, basketball etc who fail to understand. At the end of the day, it is the most popular and GREATEST sport in the world.

Beckham is a good player, I just feel it’s a little premature for him to be playing in a league which will not require him to play to his full potent ional. All the greats like Pele, George Best and so on played there after their prime and after they'd achieved all they could in Europe. I think Beckham is there for two reasons. The dollars and the celebrity circus which is LA. Good luck to him, but he's disappointed me and I wasn't a huge fan in the first place.

No offense...but I read so much here about SOCCER...same ol' same ol' as far as I'm concerned...for piss sake...I get lectured about soccer and not understanding it and whatnot...by people who have NEVER played any of the major American sports...NEVER...sports that hardly exist at all in other parts of the world...yet I'm getting this ignorant american vibe...I know far more about soccer than most people in other parts of the world know about the sports I enjoy...that's a point of fact...hard to understand how anyone can label it the greatest sport in the world without ever playing any of the others...strap on a fucking helmet and blow up a wide receiver coming over the middle..and if you still like soccer best, let's talk
12th January 2007 07:26 PM
ebmp I know very much about the "american sports"

I have played baseball and "football". Baseball is indeed very fun to play, didn't like "football" so much

But football (the real one) is the best, cause it's the only sport where you really can't predict which team will win. Take the last FIFA Club championship. Who would have thought that Internacional, an unknown team from Brazil would beat the mighty Barcelona?

Off course, the weaker team sometimes wins in all sports, but what I'm trying to say is that in football the thing is really decided on the field
12th January 2007 07:31 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
ebmp wrote:

But football (the real one) is the best, cause it's the only sport where you really can't predict which team will win.

Uh yeah...most sports you know which team will win before the game starts...they only play the game because the rules say you have to...that's a blank friggin' stare...only I added a comment...cause I'm whacky like that
12th January 2007 07:35 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
ebmp wrote:
I know very much about the "american sports"...But football (the real one) is the best, cause it's the only sport where you really can't predict which team will win....

tell that to the '04 Spankees up 3 games to nil, son

12th January 2007 07:38 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

tell that to the '04 Spankees up 3 games to nil, son

It's never over...is it?

12th January 2007 07:41 PM
glencar
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that football (soccer) is getting more popular in the States? From what I've read, the younger generation is really getting into it, it's just the oldies and those raised on baseball, basketball etc who fail to understand. At the end of the day, it is the most popular and GREATEST sport in the world.

HTW Fiji answered most of your questions. Yes, soccer is what the young'uns here play. But they also played it in 1980 when they 5 & 6 years old. They don't know any better. When they play other sports, that's what they end up loving.
12th January 2007 07:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

No offense...but I read so much here about SOCCER...same ol' same ol' as far as I'm concerned...for piss sake...I get lectured about soccer and not understanding it and whatnot...by people who have NEVER played any of the major American sports...NEVER...sports that hardly exist at all in other parts of the world...yet I'm getting this ignorant american vibe...I know far more about soccer than most people in other parts of the world know about the sports I enjoy...that's a point of fact...hard to understand how anyone can label it the greatest sport in the world without ever playing any of the others...strap on a fucking helmet and blow up a wide receiver coming over the middle..and if you still like soccer best, let's talk

'any of the others' ? Most of us have probably played plenty of them. There's more than just football/soccer and the 4 main American ones.

I've actually played a fair amount of basketball when I was at school - and even American football too (having met me, I'm sure you'd find that hard to believe, but its true..LOL)

So, talk away......
12th January 2007 07:49 PM
glencar For the record, I find basketball & football as boring as soccer. I like baseball, tennis & the Olympics.
12th January 2007 07:52 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:

HTW Fiji answered most of your questions. Yes, soccer is what the young'uns here play. But they also played it in 1980 when they 5 & 6 years old. They don't know any better. When they play other sports, that's what they end up loving.

My name is HTM!
12th January 2007 07:54 PM
glencar Sorry! Have I made that mistake before? It's a reflex typing movement.
12th January 2007 07:56 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'any of the others' ? Most of us have probably played plenty of them. There's more than just football/soccer and the 4 main American ones.

I've actually played a fair amount of basketball when I was at school - and even American football too (having met me, I'm sure you'd find that hard to believe, but its true..LOL)

So, talk away......

And if it helps...I will allow my kids to play soccer...even make them if I have to...but I can guess already they will reject it as they get older...for the reasons Blue said...let's not confuse spectating with actual playing...I can almost guarantee that if I moved to Europe tomorrow, I'd prefer watching soccer vs. europeans playing american sports...I really think it's the regionalness of soccer that makes it so popular there...truth be told, I prefer playing badminton over any sport...no shit...but try to get a game of that up in the hood...
12th January 2007 08:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels What I don't understand is how the MLS and the Galaxy can afford that kind of money. They must be doing better than I thought.
12th January 2007 08:03 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
What I don't understand is how the MLS and the Galaxy can afford that kind of money. They must be doing better than I thought.

They can't...I read somewhere that most of that money is coming from promised endorsement deals...and from contributions from the Marxist wing of the DNC
12th January 2007 08:08 PM
Voodoo Scrounge They can afford it!

Beckham will be the highest paid sports star on he globe come June 2007!

FOOTBALL will be the biggest thing since sliced bread in the states!
12th January 2007 08:14 PM
glencar Hey if it happens, you'll have to dredge this thread up. But I'm betting that won't happen.
12th January 2007 08:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
FOOTBALL will be the biggest thing since sliced bread in the states!

Not a snowball's chance in hell.
12th January 2007 08:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
truth be told, I prefer playing badminton over any sport...no shit...but try to get a game of that up in the hood...

LOL...

wait - they have 'hoods' in YOUR neck of the woods??
12th January 2007 08:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL...

sweat jacket hoods...
12th January 2007 08:22 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Never...for the tv reasons already stated...and the fact that it is a boring game...fun to play, but god awful to watch unless you have a reason to be passionate about the result...I live in one of the most soccer friendly cities in america...we just spent 45 million on some big ass soccer complex..and no one here over the age of 25 give a hoot about the game...except the mothers who drive their asthmatic children to the games in their mini-vans
12th January 2007 08:24 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL...

Of course...straight up Kansas City hustlin'...they got hoods...it's just the inabitants speak a little clearer and put ketchup on their hot dogs
12th January 2007 09:25 PM
sirmoonie Baseball is a fucking girl's game. Men nor real negroes play baseball. Venn diagram that one out and you'll disencompass homos, muffs, pansies, ponces, poofs, teles, and girls.
12th January 2007 09:39 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Baseball is a fucking girl's game. Men nor real negroes play baseball. Venn diagram that one out and you'll disencompass homos, muffs, pansies, ponces, poofs, teles, and girls.

Man...you're not still sore about that batting cage thing are you?...it was funny...right field is lonely...I get it...but you should have stuck with the game
12th January 2007 09:53 PM
pdog Baseball is a great game, goes well with beer, speead, acid and even pot smokers can keep up with the slower pace...
12th January 2007 10:01 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
Baseball is a great game, goes well with beer, speead, acid and even pot smokers can keep up with the slower pace...

All about manning up...some can...some can't
12th January 2007 10:43 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Man...you're not still sore about that batting cage thing are you?...it was funny...right field is lonely...I get it...but you should have stuck with the game

Jesus, with the 'phint memory.

We are old men now, I still bust up - do you?

The game got dis-enfranchised, white like you leading the way. Quit looking silly, man-b. Stand up for real posting. And sink a jumper to redeem yourself, all Horry like. You never actually spent an hour shooting basketballs on a driveway did you?
13th January 2007 02:42 AM
Doxa
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Why should I know about some particular national games played in some particular part of the world? Have you played Finnish national game called 'pesäpallo'? Oh you haven't. It is a variant of baseball, but I don't really require you to know it.

But what goes for football (the real international one, not the local one where one is allowed to play the ball with hands) - that belongs to another level. Of course you know the game because you can not be so much 'odd man out'. That's the language the world speaks. Knowing football is like knowing that the earth revolves the sun, or that The Rolling Stones is the the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Of course you CAN deny those things, if you want, but it doesn't look very good for you...

- Doxa
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)