ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soccer & Beckham Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12th January 2007 08:46 AM
SweetVirginia Meg and I almost turned this thread into
"Superblow for Beckham". LOL

12th January 2007 08:49 AM
PartyDoll MEG You know LJ..those who "convert" late in life are the ones who tend to become fanatics..

This Missy has seen the light..and I welcome Beckham (and I guess I'll have to take the wife too-VOMITING here)and all he will bring to FOOTBALL in the USA!
12th January 2007 04:24 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

yep..too much thinkin' required....

I dont like any game where half of it is played going backwards.....And 3 goals covers the over!
12th January 2007 04:28 PM
glencar Playing soccer might be tough (I'm told it is, even by some I respect) but it's as boring as the Captain & Tenille Summer show. No one will watch this even if Beckham plays shirtless.
12th January 2007 04:33 PM
Fiji Joe Blahh...come one Blue...this thread just proves our point...who are the soccer fans here?..women, europeans and SS..I rest my case
12th January 2007 04:34 PM
glencar Soccer always looks for its great white hope but sadly, no one can save the doomed "sport."
12th January 2007 04:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Playing soccer might be tough (I'm told it is, even by some I respect) but it's as boring as the Captain & Tenille Summer show. No one will watch this even if Beckham plays shirtless.

neither they should. he's wasting whats left of his talent by going for the money in a league where his performances wont be under the same scrutiny as before.

Anyway - you dont care for the sport. The rest of the planet does. Your choice to be the odd man out.

meanwhile, the Beckhams' new neighbours are already hanging out out the welcome signs :

[Edited by Gazza]
12th January 2007 04:39 PM
glencar Oooh, they're going to love the vapid, overly done Posh in H-wood. As for being the odd man out, that's my whole country except for Meg & the girls.
12th January 2007 04:42 PM
PartyDoll MEG Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately for spice Girl), she and hubbie will be welcomed with open arms in LA/Hollywood.

Just hoping Mr. Beckham can accomplish some good for Football in the USA before he retires, in spite of his wifey!!!
12th January 2007 04:43 PM
Gazza yeah the "you" referred to the US in general, not just you personally
12th January 2007 04:43 PM
glencar Meg, we call it soccer here. I call it soccer everywhere. I don't call a camera a "water buffalo" when I'm outside this country.
12th January 2007 04:45 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah the "you" referred to the US in general, not just you personally

The USA for better or worse is where it's at. If soccer doesn't catch on this time, it never will. Howe old is this Beckham character?
12th January 2007 04:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Blahh...come one Blue...this thread just proves our point...who are the soccer fans here?..women, europeans and SS..I rest my case

which is what, exactly? That you're part of some master race?
12th January 2007 04:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
The USA for better or worse is where it's at.

what does that mean? Who fuckin' cares?

quote:
If soccer doesn't catch on this time, it never will. Howe old is this Beckham character?

31, I think

the sport doesnt need to 'catch on' in the US to thrive or remain popular.
[Edited by Gazza]
12th January 2007 04:59 PM
glencar He's only 31? There's time then. Didn't they name their kid Bronx or something like that?
12th January 2007 05:01 PM
Gazza Brooklyn

And then, they claimed it was inspired by the part of New York where they were staying on holiday when he was conceived.

Yeah, like of course all the tourists that go from England to New York stay in mid-town Brooklyn.

Pretentious idiots
12th January 2007 05:03 PM
glencar Gee, they imitated Donna Summer! They'll fit right in in so Cal.
12th January 2007 05:06 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

which is what, exactly? That you're part of some master race?

No...that soccer sux...and at this time, in this country, is played by primarily asthmatics and eggheads...when it starts attracting the best athletes, it will succeed...which I don't see happening

There is one very big reason soccer will not catch on here...everyone seems to overlook it...that is...it is not TV friendly...there are no stoppages of play to allow for commercials...TV networks loath the sport for that reason...and for that reason, it will not the exposure it needs
12th January 2007 05:07 PM
Gazza Could have been worse for the kid. He could have been named "Men's room at Port Authority", I suppose.
12th January 2007 05:08 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Could have been worse for the kid. He could have been named "Men's room at Port Authority", I suppose.

"The L Train" would have been a cool name
12th January 2007 05:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

No...that soccer sux...and at this time, in this country, is played by primarily asthmatics and eggheads...when it starts attracting the best athletes, it will succeed...which I don't see happening

There is one very big reason soccer will not catch on here...everyone seems to overlook it...that is...it is not TV friendly...there are no stoppages of play to allow for commercials...TV networks loath the sport for that reason...and for that reason, it will not the exposure it needs

I'm aware of the problem that youre highlighting about it not being TV friendly enough for Americans and their advertising-obsessed networks, but that wasnt the point you were making in your previous post.

'Asthmatics' and 'best athletes'? you consider a 300 pound nose tackle a better example of an 'athlete' ?
[Edited by Gazza]
12th January 2007 05:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

"The L Train" would have been a cool name

LOL....dont fuckin tempt them. They're planning to have more.
12th January 2007 05:15 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm aware of the problem that youre highlighting about it not being TV friendly enough for Americans and their advertising-obsessed networks, but that wasnt the point you were making in your previous post.

'Asthmatics' and 'best athletes'? you consider a 300 pound nose tackle a better example of an 'athlete' ?
[Edited by Gazza]

Soccer has gotten crowds & ratings here at times but I think at this point we have enough sports to entertain us. Some of my co-workers play it & have traveled to tournaments in Portugal, Amsterdam & boring Scotland.
12th January 2007 05:16 PM
fireontheplatter i love the sport....i watch the world cup all the time.
i just think he is getting overpaid is all...
12th January 2007 05:22 PM
glencar He's not overpaid if he can bring in the ratings. Would ahve been smarter to hire him for the NYC team, if there is one. El Lay is second rate.
12th January 2007 05:23 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

No...that was pretty much the point I was making...Blue understands what I'm saying...that's why the post was directed to him...by name

And yeah...these nose tackles you speak of are remarkable athletes...4.6 40 times at 300 pounds...bench pressing 500+ponds...and that's not the point...I said the best athletes...they play other sports here...not saying soccer players aren't athletes and in shape and all that good stuff...but at least here, the best are not playing soccer
12th January 2007 05:26 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
glencar wrote:
Soccer has gotten crowds & ratings here at times but I think at this point we have enough sports to entertain us. Some of my co-workers play it & have traveled to tournaments in Portugal, Amsterdam & boring Scotland.

I actually enjoy the World Cup games...but it's the stakes of the game that make me tune in...not the game...I think, knowing what I know about soccer worldwide that that is its appeal...it's very territorial...even on the club level..those rivalries fuel the interest...America is not set up for such rivalries
12th January 2007 05:28 PM
glencar You are correct. Living on Long island shows me that. We have more Steelers & Cowboys fans than Jets fans.
12th January 2007 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

No...that was pretty much the point I was making...Blue understands what I'm saying...that's why the post was directed to him...by name

And yeah...these nose tackles you speak of are remarkable athletes...4.6 40 times at 300 pounds...bench pressing 500+ponds...and that's not the point...I said the best athletes...they play other sports here...not saying soccer players aren't athletes and in shape and all that good stuff...but at least here, the best are not playing soccer

They're not going to pursue it for several other reasons, too

One - The sport doesnt have the infrastructure for too many to make a career in it after leaving school or college (although thats improved of late)

Two - other more traditional American sports are simply far better paid.

Unless you're David Beckham, who it now seems is going to be the highest paid athlete in the US. For playing football!
12th January 2007 05:33 PM
glencar Gazza, it's called "soccer" here!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)