ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - 27th October 2006
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Are Over The Hill Says Townshend Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
20th October 2006 06:55 PM
Dan
quote:
Stand up and be counted or stand up and get shot down.

How about get drunk and fall down? So much "sobering news" coming in recently that I have preferred to try to stay drunk anyway.
20th October 2006 07:12 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Dan wrote:

How about get drunk and fall down?

That's the best thing I've read all day.
20th October 2006 07:37 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Odd that The 'oo are still adding dates to that just completed world tour...

And nice of the "author" of the article to cherry pick the meatiest quotes from a lengthy reply to Rolling Stone magazine's interviewer - conveniently stripping them of their context in the process.

RS: You've been very involved with the Internet, and originally you planned to sell live Webcasts of all the shows on this tour to raise money for charity.

PT: It's unfortunate we couldn't do more of that, because the Web site and the Internet have given the Who the most extraordinary ten years. Whenever we wanted to go out, we've gone out and sold out our tours. Now if Roger truly believes it's because people want to look at his chest or truly believes it's because Pete Townshend is a magical genius and people want to hear this music one more time, he's wrong. I think it's because we have this incredible tied-in fan base. The Web sites I've been running are like fan clubs. And fan clubs back in the old days really were the way that artists made sure that they got hits. If you had 400,000 fans and they all went out and bought your album on the same day, you got a fucking Number One!

This fan thing is very powerful. I don't think that the big boomer bands are going to be able to do this much longer. I really don't. We're fucking lucky to be able to do it, but I don't think we'll be able to do it much longer. I don't want to go out and see Bob Dylan. I don't want to go out and see the Stones. I wouldn't pay money to go see the Who, not even with new songs. I wouldn't pay money to go see Crosby, Stills and Nash. They fucking make me sick. When I say that, what I mean is I'm ageist about it. I don't want to look at these old guys in their self-congratulatory mode. Somebody gave me tickets for Marlene Dietrich's last concert in London, and apparently she came out and she looked fantastic under the lights, but you know that she's an eighty-year-old woman held together by glue and string. Why would you want to do that? I'd prefer to come and see Elaine Stritch down in the bar here. My point is, I don't think it will go on much longer.

Our audience, our boomer audience, are sustaining it. It's not young kids. People say, "Oh, I went to a Rolling Stones concert and there were lots of young people there!" Once. They come once. I went to see Jimmy Reed once. I went to see John Lee Hooker once. I went to see Jimmy Smith once. I went to see Ray Charles once. I just wanted to be able to say I saw him. If Charlie Parker had been alive, I would have seen him once. I saw Roland Kirk once. I saw them all once. I wouldn't follow them around the fucking world. There's a lot of people that come and see bands like the Who once.
20th October 2006 08:08 PM
mojoman
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:

Townshend IS a true fan of the Stones. Over the years he has done nothing but praise them. He inducted them into the hall of fame for chrissakes.

it still hurts
20th October 2006 08:09 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm listening to the Who at Jones Beach concert. Classic rock but many old people were in the audience.

that really hurts
20th October 2006 08:33 PM
Some Guy SS will have some new taglines galore!
20th October 2006 10:01 PM
pdog I'm a big fan of Slavegirl, Dan and MacDaddy... If I can make it to LA, longshot, it will be to hopefully hang with them before the show... I don't think it's going to happen sadly...
20th October 2006 10:16 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm a big fan of Slavegirl, Dan and MacDaddy... If I can make it to LA, longshot, it will be to hopefully hang with them before the show... I don't think it's going to happen sadly...

Dude, come on, its a weekend and an easy ticket. Unfortunately I let the window for Oakland close. Unless I find someone local who is driving.
20th October 2006 10:28 PM
pdog
quote:
Dan wrote:

Dude, come on, its a weekend and an easy ticket. Unfortunately I let the window for Oakland close. Unless I find someone local who is driving.

Weekends are my bread and butter. I've taken off alot of Saturdays recently, and I'm taking off the one after AC show... Somebody's gotta pay for me to live this life, I'm accustomed to.
20th October 2006 11:07 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:

Weekends are my bread and butter. I've taken off alot of Saturdays recently, and I'm taking off the one after AC show... Somebody's gotta pay for me to live this life, I'm accustomed to.

I hear that. I used to work like crazy and then take any day off I wanted to if I wanted to go to a Stones gig out of town. Now I cherish my private time more than I do 8 shows a tour by almost everyone.
20th October 2006 11:08 PM
Route66 Jealousy perhaps because Pete isn't still playing in football stadiums anymore?

I think most people who make fun of the RS' age are jealous they're still hopping around.
21st October 2006 08:02 AM
rollmops Pete just finished a tour and he is saying that!! What a fucking dick. I can't believe it. He is a weirdo.
Fuck you Pete,
Mops
21st October 2006 09:01 AM
F505 Of course Townshend is right. The Stones are over the hill for many years. But Pete forgets to tell he and his miserable band (or what's left of it) were already over the hill in the seventies while the Stones were still making good music.

[Edited by F505]
21st October 2006 10:56 AM
DrJimmy You guys have it all wrong. Pete is criticizing HIMSELF along with his peers.

Pete LOVES Mick and Ronnie, he's very close to them.

And Pete has always been contrarian, contradictory, and self-critical, that's what makes him Pete.

peace.
21st October 2006 11:02 AM
lotsajizz right on
21st October 2006 11:59 AM
mickmask "and insists he wouldn't even go and watch his own band if he was a fan because they are past it."

You're too much Pete.

mm.
21st October 2006 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I also ahve the DVD which I must copy shortly. I never thought I'd like the Who THIS much! I mean, they ain't the Stones & Pete's a peddy but damn! They rock!

I would like to caress your kneecaps .
22nd October 2006 08:39 AM
corgi37 At least he also admitted they toured soley for the money. I mean, i guess every one does, but it was interesting to me because i read ages ago that the WHO, Entwhistle in particular, was intensely jealous of the Stones money making machine.

If Entwhistle was alive, he'd either be on Celebrity poker, or maybe one of the band for that ROCK STAR show.
22nd October 2006 10:23 AM
tumbling dice
Fucking jealous,bald ,bastard!He likes young kids...
I always hated The Who.Roger Daltrey is shit too....
22nd October 2006 01:32 PM
DrJimmy Townshend has no reason to be jealous. The Who at their prime were the greatest live band in the world. Pete still has way more energy than Keith.

Plus, Pete has a unique combination of melody-writing, storytelling & guitar playing talent that nobody in the Stones can touch.

They're all friends and they're all richer than we are.
[Edited by DrJimmy]
22nd October 2006 01:41 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:

Fucking jealous,bald ,bastard!He likes young kids...
I always hated The Who.Roger Daltrey is shit too....

You make Bono cry like a baby.
22nd October 2006 03:11 PM
sway1 Who cares what he thinks? He is out on the road making as much money as he can before he dies just like the stones.
22nd October 2006 05:06 PM
Soldatti What a drag it is getting old.
22nd October 2006 05:56 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
DrJimmy wrote:
Townshend has no reason to be jealous. The Who at their prime were the greatest live band in the world. Pete still has way more energy than Keith.

Plus, Pete has a unique combination of melody-writing, storytelling & guitar playing talent that nobody in the Stones can touch.

They're all friends and they're all richer than we are.
[Edited by DrJimmy]

When The Who was the greatest r& r band in the world?
22nd October 2006 06:01 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

You make Bono cry like a baby.

sorry, i like your band right from the start
22nd October 2006 07:24 PM
Route66 Are the Who playing large football stadiums on their tour?
22nd October 2006 07:29 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:
sorry, i like your band right from the start

You shall be greeted.
22nd October 2006 07:31 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

You shall be greeted.

Rattle and Hum, very good, imo
22nd October 2006 07:39 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
WattsAtScotts wrote:

Rattle and Hum, very good, imo

I would like to caress you with my elbows.
22nd October 2006 07:59 PM
Route66 U2 is one of just 3 peformers I have not seen yet that I want to see.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)