ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - 27th October 2006
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Are Over The Hill Says Townshend Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
20th October 2006 03:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rolling Stones Are Over The Hill Says Townshend

The October 19, 2006
Maira Oliveira - All Headline News Reporter
allheadlinenews.com

London, England (BANG) - When you're a gazillion years old and still performing on stage, you're either doing something really good, or making yourself look like some kind of pitiful joke. For one 60s rocker, however, it's usually the latter.

The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has slashed out at Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones for being too old to tour.

Townshend, who famously penned the line "I hope I die before I get old" from the band's most famous hit "My Generation," insists it is time musicians from the 60s packed away their instruments and called it a day.

The 61-year-old rocker says he wouldn't pay money to go and see Dylan or any of his other fellow musicians from the decade play live and insists he wouldn't even go and watch his own band if he was a fan because they are past it.

Townshend - who has just completed a world tour with his original The Who band member Roger Daltrey - fumed to Britain's Daily Express newspaper, "I don't think the big bands are going to be able to do this much longer, I really don't. I don't want to go out and see Bob Dylan. I don't want to go and see The Stones. I wouldn't pay money to go and see The Who, not even with new songs. It all makes me sick and I mean that in an ageist way."

Townshend claims he very rarely sees many teenagers at Who concerts and insists the band only manage to still sell out stadiums because of their loyal older fans who grew up with them.

He explained, "People say, 'Oh I went to see The Rolling Stones concert there were lots of young people there.' But it's not young kids. Once. They come once. There are a lot of people who come and see bands like The Who once just for the experience."
20th October 2006 03:24 PM
jb bastard!!!!!!!!!!!
20th October 2006 03:25 PM
Joey

Nanky ?!

20th October 2006 03:28 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
bastard!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly do you disagree with? What exactly has he said that you haven't said before? Except he does it with a bit more eloquence I think.
20th October 2006 03:29 PM
the good
quote:

He explained, "People say, 'Oh I went to see The Rolling Stones concert there were lots of young people there.' But it's not young kids. Once. They come once. There are a lot of people who come and see bands like The Who once just for the experience."

And what, exactly, is wrong with that?
20th October 2006 03:29 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

What exactly do you disagree with? What exactly has he said that you haven't said before? Except he does it with a bit more eloquence I think.

Dan, I have alwasy said we true fans can criticise, but when others do, we circle the wagons...I don't appreciate pete dissingmy group in a national media story.
20th October 2006 03:30 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Dan, I have alwasy said we true fans can criticise, but when others do, we circle the wagons...I don't appreciate pete dissingmy group in a national media story.

20th October 2006 03:31 PM
throbby What an asshole!
20th October 2006 03:33 PM
Joey
quote:
throbby wrote:
What an asshole!

Nanky ?!

20th October 2006 03:34 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

"True fan." Jeezus, The Who has covered the Stones for christsakes. Personally outside observations tend to be more interesting than the usual circle jerk nutswinging.
20th October 2006 03:34 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:

"True fan." Jeezus, The Who has covered the Stones for christsakes. Personally outside observations tend to be more interesting than the usual circle jerk nutswinging.

LYRICS TO HA-TIKVA ... "The Hope"
As long as deep in the heart,
The soul of a Jew yearns,
And forward to the East [Toward Jerusalem]
To Zion, an eye looks
Our hope will not be lost,
The hope of two thousand years,
To be a free nation in our land,
The land of Zion and Jerusalem.

Click HERE to listen to "Hatikva"

20th October 2006 03:42 PM
Some Guy I plead the fizzle.
20th October 2006 03:45 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Rolling Stones Are Over The Hill Says Townshend

The 61-year-old rocker says he wouldn't pay money to go and see Dylan or any of his other fellow musicians from the decade play live and insists he wouldn't even go and watch his own band if he was a fan because they are past it.

WHO-MILIATION!
20th October 2006 03:46 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

WHO-MILIATION!

perfect timing, nice comeback!!
20th October 2006 03:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Age doesn't matter much. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow ain't got here yet. Just blast a record machine and fuck the rest of it all.
20th October 2006 03:52 PM
Joey

....Sup my nizzles !!!!!

20th October 2006 04:08 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
jb wrote:

Townshend IS a true fan of the Stones. Over the years he has done nothing but praise them. He inducted them into the hall of fame for chrissakes.
20th October 2006 04:09 PM
glencar I'm listening to the Who at Jones Beach concert. Classic rock but many old people were in the audience.
20th October 2006 04:09 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm listening to the Who at Jones Beach concert. Classic rock but many old people were in the audience.

Blue ........................................... !
20th October 2006 04:17 PM
pdog Pete is an idiot, I'm glad I will not attend the bay area show!
20th October 2006 04:17 PM
glencar I also ahve the DVD which I must copy shortly. I never thought I'd like the Who THIS much! I mean, they ain't the Stones & Pete's a peddy but damn! They rock!
20th October 2006 04:49 PM
Gazza Isnt this the 3rd thread covering this quote in the last 24 hours?

cant wait til tomorrow's instalment!
20th October 2006 04:58 PM
Some Guy eight year olds, dude.
20th October 2006 05:01 PM
Fiji Joe Pete, just like Joey, has betrayed us...pervs of a feather flock together
20th October 2006 05:04 PM
sirmoonie Pete running at the mouth once again.

Headline, however, doesn't come close to what he actually said.

I listened to Scoop in its entirety last night - Townshend cannot be adequately appreciated in words. Outer limits.
20th October 2006 05:06 PM
lotsajizz Tabloid lies and taking out of context...he was publicly praising them from the Boston Garden stage last month....friggin' Fleet Street tabloids
20th October 2006 05:31 PM
Slavegirl That's a load of crap. I just turned 25 and i've seen the Stones 8 times, 9 or 10 by the end of this year. I may not be a teenager but I definitely am not from the 60's generation and I can't possibly see the Stones enough. So take that, Pete!
20th October 2006 05:38 PM
Dan
quote:
Slavegirl wrote:
That's a load of crap. I just turned 25 and i've seen the Stones 8 times, 9 or 10 by the end of this year. I may not be a teenager but I definitely am not from the 60's generation and I can't possibly see the Stones enough. So take that, Pete!

True. I saw them that many times by the time I was that age. But from the perspective of a performer - I remember a singer telling me he performs in clubs all the time so his idea of a night off isn't hanging out in the same clubs.
20th October 2006 05:41 PM
IanBillen Pete does not know what he wants himself. He hasn't for years now.

He puts down touring for bands of his owns age, as well even his own band....and this is coming directly after finishing a tour with The Who, to which he was supposeably very excited about before hand?....

nuff said right.

Gazza, and others here always stick up for the guy no matter what he says, does, or doesn't do but realistically this is all out of loyalty, pure obstinance, or some of both.

I LOVE The Who, but even I have known for a while Pete is flailing about in all directions from one interview, or diary statement to the next. He doesn't know what he wants from one day to the next. And when he isn't doing anything he is either putting himself, or others down or making excuses for his non-productivity.

Pete,
In all honesty Bro. Dylan and The Stones have quadroupled what you have done in the past 10 or 15 years and are still
seen as having something to offer. The Who has not seen
anything close to that in twenty years or more.

If there is a band that should hang it up it is yours. I wonder what direction he will take on all this next week?

Pete, I LOVE you guy but come on now, get real and get ahold of yourself.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
20th October 2006 06:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Gazza, and others here always stick up for the guy no matter what he says, does, or doesn't do but realistically this is all out of loyalty, pure obstinance, or some of both.

what the fuck are you jabbering on about, now? You dont even know me or what I think. Twit.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)