ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soldier Field, Chicago- October 11, 2006- Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
12th October 2006 09:46 PM
Migs Keith looked awesome in Regina this past weekend. Perhaps it was just the cold weather. I live up here in Canada and I am only 33 years old and when I come in from the outside in the winter I look like Im 50.
12th October 2006 11:45 PM
SweetVirginia
And if anyone in Chicago sees Michael Cohl...please kick him in the balls for booking this gig outdoors in Chicago in mid-October!
[Edited by SweetVirginia]
13th October 2006 06:17 AM
Jeep A last video report with most of the opening song YGMR :

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/

The link is "Dean reviews the Rolling Stones at Soldier Field 11/12" in the Morning News Video section.

13th October 2006 07:25 AM
FotiniD Still waiting for reviews from Lady Jane, PartyDollMEG and GotToRollMe. Where are you girls?
13th October 2006 11:07 AM
Saint Sway most pathetic show ever.

only thing worst was Pug's review.

just awful

never should of happened

© Tarpism.
13th October 2006 12:38 PM
parmeda HOT LICKS TAKE A BITE OUT OF STONE-COLD EVENING
Chicago SunTimes
October 13, 2006

BY DAVE HOEKSTRA - Staff Reporter

So this is how it may end for the Rolling Stones. In what more behind-the-scenes observers are suggesting is the band's last tour, their final show in Chicago on the "A Bigger Bang" tour will be remembered as an unprecedented event -- playing in 37-degree weather and 20-mph winds off the lake at Soldier Field.
I've been going to outdoor concerts in Chicago since 1971. I've never seen anything like Wednesday night's concert.

The Stones wore winter jackets and flowing turquoise scarves. Guitarist Ron Wood wore red fingerless gloves. They looked like they were heading to an Andy Williams Christmas special. "This is horrible freezing cold," Mick Jagger told the frigid gathering, which included an empty second and third deck. "You guys are heroes to be here."

As a reward, the Stones tossed away half of their regular set list. Of course, this was also the Stones' fourth visit to Chicago since September 2005. In an obvious moment of irony, they played the hard-rocking "She Was Hot" (from 1983's "Undercover"), which had never been performed live. They included "Sway," accented by Ron Wood's elegant slide, and they opened with a ribald version of "You Got Me Rockin'." The second half of the two-hour show included the smash hits, which for this evening should be called "Tumblin' Ice."

• Stones at Soldier Field
And "Jumpin' Jack Frost."
A generation ago the Stones would be knocking back Jack Daniel's onstage. On Wednesday night, they sipped coffee and what looked like hot chocolate. Jagger cried out, "I can't feel me feet!" And poor Keith. It took him half the show just to warm up. On this evening, he really did resemble a cryogenic experiment. Keith was lost on "Midnight Rambler," and he let Woody's scorching lead and a four-piece horn section take over "Tumblin' Dice." After Jagger adjourned backstage, Keith sauntered up to the front of the stage, smiled and said, "It's a bit chilly." He wore a crooked white fisherman's cap and a raincoat. All he was missing was his smelt license.

With Woody leaning in on acoustic guitar, Keith delivered a deep country blues version of "You Got the Silver," followed by a spirited roadhouse take on "Little T&A" -- and then Keith was off to the races. The interplay between Woody and Keith is more interesting than when Mick Taylor (who played on the original "Sway") was in the band. When Keith is on top of his game, he is emulating his hero Chuck Berry in the way he embraces feeling and texture instead of playing a series of notes. Woody has more fluidity and the boozy swagger that he popularized in the Faces. Some of Wednesday's better connections between Woody and Keith were made on the "Live With Me" and "Monkey Man," a chestnut the Stones threw in early in the set. Keith also ignited an extended version of "Sympathy for the Devil" as Jagger pranced around the 92-foot-high stage in a flame-colored crushed velvet jacket.

Opening act Elvis Costello and the Imposters were just as freaked out by the weather. Costello wore a long brown leather coat and a huge scarf, while longtime keyboardist Steve Nieve was hunkered down in a ski cap. A cold gale whipped across the stage, and an ashen Costello said, "Now I know why they call it the Windy City."

Costello offered a perfunctory greatest-hits set that included "Radio, Radio," "Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Suspicious Minds" and "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down," where the first few rows were trying to dance despite the fact they were dressed like the Michelin Man. The best was Costello's final song, a minimalist version of the Stones' "Take It or Leave It."

[Edited by parmeda]
13th October 2006 12:42 PM
parmeda There are several more pictures that I can't seem to post (office filters suck at work!)

Here's the link for the article above:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/94957,CST-FTR-Stones13.article#

Half-way down there's a Photo Gallery - click it - some good pics in there.
13th October 2006 04:55 PM
glencar Well, that was quite a show! Excellent! YGMR is not my favorite song but it was OK as an opener. Things quickly scaled upwards as they did Live W/Me & then Monkey Man. Sway is a new warhorse; long live Sway(the song, not the dippy poster). Then Mick announced a song they'd never done live before. Thanks to LJ's clever post last week, I realized I'd finally hear She Was Hot live. This was amazing. Even downbeats would be forced to concede that this didn't sound like a song they'd never ever played live before. An instant classic! Can't wait for the boot of this show & you shouldn't wait either. Do note though that Mick was intently reading the teleprompter on this one!

SOL was a delight & yes, even TomL trilled along to the chorus. We knew things would be shortened as it was frigging freezing & windy. Mick commented that they had assumed this week would be the occurence of Indian Summer but really, you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows.

Keith's set is still a sloppy mess. Well, Little T&A is anyway. YGTS shines & is just lovely.
UMT is getting better as the band goes to the B-stage. The B-stage has become the most pedestrian part of the show for yer correspondent. They need to drop either SMU or HTW. Come to think, IWTL should replace RJ. Shake it up, boyz! The end of the show was less than inspiring. I think the cold really got to them. Keith did fine in the start & end of each song but he was absent for the vast middle.

I had a great time with everybody. Much blues clubbing & Meg & Peg sparkled! Boomy's a helluva guy & the rest already should know howe much I groove on them. I will now nap. And dream of seeing the Who in Omaha...
13th October 2006 05:15 PM
lotsajizz My better half and I had a smooth flight to Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Sunday morning, arriving early as my wife had to be at the Hilton that night to be sworn is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons who had their convention there this year. We checked into the Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan Avenue. It is a great location for a newcomer to Chicago like me. We did the Magnificent Mile (what’s so magnificent? SanFran, Miami, and Boston all have better shopping districts with more upscale shops). But it was fun, we had a trendy lunch, a swim in the hotel pool and off to the Fellow grad ceremony, Monday and Tuesday were great weather days, in the low 70’s and mostly sunny. I walked all around, out to Navy Pier, down to the museums surrounding Soldier Field, and took a dip in Lake Michigan near the Drake Hotel. I even did the touristy things like the top of the John Hancock Tower (100 stories) and dinner at the Chicago Chop House, in between the doctor functions and receptions at the hotels around town. Then the big day comes---temps start around 50 with promises they will drop twenty degrees and precipitation might begin!!! It was a good thing I brought the long johns, but still felt compelled to bundle up more so my wife and went to the North Face shop and got new down vests and gloves. At show time, I was wearing two shirts, a jersey, the down vest, AND a jacket. Armed with the long johns, gloves, thick jeans, a Stones ski cap AND a Red Sox cap, I was prepared for the Chicago night....and it WAS colder than the proverbial left tit on the witch. We took a cab from the hotel to the architecturally unique Soldier Field and emerged into windy thirty degree conditions!! The entry through the ticket and security line was ill organized and lengthy but ultimately successful. My flask of ‘Paddy’ whiskey made it in with me as did two of my ‘special’ cookies--given airline security and the chiba desire, I decided that cooking was the way to go--and it worked well.
Anyway--the show, Elvis Costello was in great voice and played all the ol’ hits, ending his main set with ‘Pump It Up’ and then playing the ol’ Jagger-Richards tune ‘Just Take It Or Leave It’. He sang that very under-rated song superbly and I admire any opening act who plays the main act’s numbers!! The wind kept blowing and the temp kept dropping, but we were ready and I must say that the Chicago fans seemed ready for the weather--well bundled as we were and not complaining. They’re a tough bunch--and unlike Foxboro and contrary to JB's whining, this was a close proximity to a sellout, although I don’t think the last tiks were sold until just before showtime. The floor was tight, without that bogus front row/stage gap and with the floor sections tight together, unlike Foxboro. The third deck was not sold at all--covered with tongue banners bollowing in the wind, but I’d still estimate this show had at least ten thousand more than Foxboro. And the crowd was more into it...less lazy, overweight, non-dancing ‘lost’ types!!
We notice white ductwork with four huge hoses leading to stage front and suspect the band is being bombarded with heated air when the show begins! Cheaters!!!
The Big Bang sequence commences....the lights go down, all except out section, which had it’s light on until two thirds of the way through the show!!!

1.You Got Me Rockin'--nice opener, I seem to like this tune more than most around here and appreciated Woodie’s slide solo in the middle. Keith seems (slightly) more focused.
2.Live With Me--Mick thanks the crowd, says how fucking cold it is.....promises to mix things up tonight, Woodie nails the cues, unlike Foxboro and Bobby makes his initial appearance....
3.Monkey Man--better mix, better sound than earlier in the tour, Keith actually making the riffs the whole way through instead of just posing as he is too want to do nowadays....Mick in good voice, after the song he complains that he can not feel his feet!!
4.Sway--Mick still not singing this with the gusto it deserves, but Keith instead of Blondie on the riff is an improvement and Woodie plays a gnarly solo...he is on tonight
5. She Was Hot--Mick intros it as something they’ve never played on stage before, then names it....Woodie and Keith finally hit a nice weave together on this and the band just nails it...Mick sounding just like the studio version. As expected, no one knows how to end it though and it staggers to a close...
6.Streets of Love--fuck the detractors, Mick sings the shit out of it, and it reminds me of one those soul ballads they used to do....
7.Midnight Rambler---Keith nails the opening riffs, Charlie and Daryl kick it up a notch, then Mick takes over...his best performance of the night, some new moves, some additional minutes longer than earlier versions this tour, his harp playing uneffected by the cold, he does not run of out of gas at the end like the earlier versions, very encouraging
8.Tumblin Dice--perfect rendition, finally Lisa is audible---hey are Lisa and the band ‘on the outs’? She has no big role in this tour as previous....
9.You Got The Silver--having suffered the pain of this in Foxboro...I hit the bathroom, the second half of the song seemed to percolate pretty good though...
10.Little T&A...MUCH better than Foxboro, still raw, but not butchered..
11.Under My Thumb--too slow, needs more energy from Keith, who appears to be slothing it through this number and more concerned with posing as the B-stage moves out
12.Rough Justice---Keith comes back for a while, more weaving
13.Start Me Up---very nice on the small stage, lots of bass, Daryl high in the mix. Ron plays a great solo but they get kind of messy at the end and Keith just seemed lost by the end of the song...
14.Honky Tonk Women---didn’t Keith used to play a solo in this song?
15.Sympathy For The Devil--the best version I’ve heard in years, Keith wakes up, he and Ronnie start the ‘weave’ and the band chugs it...Daryl especially loud...the crowd really into the ‘woo-woo’s...which extended through the night as exited the field...it is really catching on...
16.JJF--Keith continues the upswing, again, the bass is very noticable here.....
17.Satisfaction--nice staggered opening from Keith but his attempt at a solo was painful...
18.Brown Sugar---perfect, Bobby nailed the solo

All in all MUCH better than the tour’s beginning and very encouraging to see in the shitty weather conditions.....but make no mistake folks, this is not even the same Keith Richards who began the tour....he needs to keep improving or practicing ‘cuz that head injury was worse than they let on.....
13th October 2006 05:39 PM
SweetVirginia
Thanks, Jizzy. That was a great review.

We are all waiting for someone to upload a recording of "She Was Hot". Hope it happens soon.

SV

13th October 2006 06:18 PM
LadyJane I'm still pretty foggy and I'm not great with technical reviews of the shows.

The setlist was fantastic.

YGMR as an opener was a nice change.
Songs 2-5 absolutely blew my mind.
MM and SWAY were great.

When Mick introduced a song they have never been played before I knew..I KNEW I had been right with my prediction.

IMO, they played She Was Hot like it's been in the setlist for a long time. This was a highlight for all of us. And we just SCREAMED out the Line..."She was hot..on a cold Chicago night."

SOL was a treat. We ALL sang along.

Rambler NEVER disappoints. Jagger is still the greatest frontman of our time.

TDice was good.

YGTS melted my heart.
Little T/A made me sad.

NO MISS YOU!!!!!!!!! Thank you God!!! I was so excited NOT to get Miss You that I barely took in Under My Thumb.

B-stage was okay. I was hoping for something aside from RJ.
SMU is not one of my favs but the crowd went wild.
HTW I never tire of hearing.

SFTD is another song I never tire of hearing. Again, Jagger mesmerizes all of us.

The final three were okay.

JJF
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar...when Mick ran almost the entire length of the stadium past the 50 yard line...I just lost it.

It was TOO cold for a concert. The band were visibly uncomfortable.

Jagger was very very sincere in his remarks of thanks to all of us for coming out on such a cold night.

I don't recall EVER seeing Mr Watts in layered clothing whilst playing. He even donned a jacket towards the end.

Ronnie had a scarf wrapped around his head and donned a long coat. He was playing great. He HAS stepped up. Blondie is much more prominent as well.

Keith. What do I say. The cold DEFINITELY affected his fingers. But I DO feel it's more than that. IMO...the head injury took a toll and his recovery time was too short.
His heart is still in this...110%. He has aged since January...visibly. I was quite shaken. But he DID have some great moments.

Final bow was very emotional for me. I feel in my heart that I'm not gonna be seeing this for much longer.

I have to be realistic.
And when faced with the potential loss of something that has always been a constant in your life...whoa...very difficult.

I still get the tingle when the lights go down and to sit in the company of fellow Couchies/RO'ers takes the show to a higher level.

My Band,,,they never disappoint.

Wish you all could have been there.

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
14th October 2006 12:29 AM
PartyDoll MEG I'm back home, wiped out, should be in bed, but of course I have to check RO.....

You guys know I can't review, but here is my 2cents worth.

Great Summit- Thanks LJ and Pam!!!...Being with great friends always help get you ready to see your favorite band. In this case..the alcohol consumed also helped get us ready for the fricken cold

First chords of YGMR, I knew we were gonna get a good show. Glenny, Peggy, Tom, and I were singing our hearts out-had to to keep warm: Monkey Man Live With Me, and the reunion performance of Sway for the Columbus Sway family!!!

And yes, Tom and I were so sure of the next song that I got my trusty phone out, so I could let our "Boss Man" Gazza hear it. They nailed She Was Hot and played it like they had been doing it for years. The crowd loved it too. This song made the show for me.
We have photo proof that Tom did not take a piss break and that he actually sang SOL with Glenny and I. This photo will be posted, when I get it developed. He even admitted that the song was good-lol.

Keith brings tears to my eyes when he sing YGTS and needless to say T and A is improving.

We make our way back to the B-Stage. My friend Peggy loves to take photos with her disposable camera, even if Mick is more than 500 feet away and looks like a speck in the photo. We end up being the closest I've ever been to the B-stage and she only has 6 pictures left- I could have killed her. Tom, Glenny, and I are high-fiving, as we realize that we do not have to listen to Miss You one more time!!! This is where I get my first up-close view of Keith, since London. On Rough Justice and Start Me Up: He is not playing his guitar, he is breaking and dropping his picks, and he didn't even have the strength to throw his picks out to the crowd. Yes it is bitterly cold and windy and he has been blowing on his fingers all night and continues to do it on the B stage. It made me physically ill to watch the Riffmeister hardly playing his guitar. But despite the cold, Keith had his moments and played like the Keith we want to see. He continues to smile and make contact with the audience, and it was obvious that the cold was affecting him. I am not a doom and gloom person, but the last 2 performances have left me shaken and sad. I thank God we have Ronnie and Blondie to help pick up the slack. Hopefully, the warm shows in Texas and a week break, will bring us back the Keith we want to see. I can not lose that hope.

The rest of the show was on auto pilot. Except again, I have to say that I was shocked when I noticed that Keith was not playing very much guitar on Satisfaction at all- It was all Blondie on electric and Ronnie.

A good show despite the bitter cold

A great few days of partying and playing with my RO friends (more on that elsewhere)

And sadness...as this might be my last show

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
14th October 2006 01:34 AM
GotToRollMe Well. Just got back home tonight. Too beat to post any kind of review. I'll save that for tomorrow after I get 12 hours of sleep. I will say that I met some of the absolute best people the past few days. What a great crew. Good people. Gold rings on all y'all!

14th October 2006 10:28 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Jeep wrote:
A last video report with most of the opening song YGMR :

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/

The link is "Dean reviews the Rolling Stones at Soldier Field 11/12" in the Morning News Video section.

Great moment there, with Mick adjusting Keith's cap on the fly.
14th October 2006 02:30 PM
LadyJane As taken and posted by Shidoobee's EveningOfTheDay.

A bittersweet photo in so so many ways.

LJ.
14th October 2006 04:45 PM
Poplar
Great reviews guys!!!
14th October 2006 07:15 PM
glencar The header picture that's up now shows the moment when Mick adjusted Keith's cap. Funny stuff!
14th October 2006 08:02 PM
chevysales
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
As taken and posted by Shidoobee's EveningOfTheDay.

A bittersweet photo in so so many ways.

LJ.

i have never seen them so bundled up...
14th October 2006 11:05 PM
GotToRollMe The reviews that have already been posted here pretty much cover all the bases. The review that I wrote for the Giants Stadium thread pretty much sums up what I saw at Soldier Field as well. The weather of course made it much rougher on the band as well as the crowd. Despite everything though, they gave it their all.

Highlights of the show for me, aside from having Lady Jane at my side, were "She Was Hot," "Live With Me," "Monkey Man," and an incredible, harp-heavy "Midnight Rambler."

But the real stand-out, for me, was Keith singing "You Got The Silver" with Ronnie by his side. This is one of my favorite Stones songs, and seeing Keith belt this one out...well, it was impossible not to be deeply affected.
Another standout moment was when Keith walked out to the very front of the stage, under the spotlight, at the beginning of the encore, "Brown Sugar," and the crowd just went wild. He loves doing what he does as much as we love him, it seems, and it was a striking moment to feel that love go back and forth between him and the crowd. I'll never forget it.

And then the final bow. What can I say...it just gets to me. I can't believe that after 43 years I still have the good fortune to experience this, they're still doing it, and we've all made it this far.

Gold rings on ya, Mick, Keith, Ron, and Charlie. And Chuck, thanks for the setlist!
15th October 2006 10:23 AM
lotsajizz post-show queries in my head

1) why was my Section, 237, lighted two thirds of the friggin' show?!? not that I had smoke, I had cookies instead and did not need the cover of darkness, but I am sure some did! Finally, about B-stage time they shut 'em off...wtf?!?
2) why were the barkers shouting 'ice cold' beer when air temp and ice cold were synonomous that night!!?!?
3) is Elvis Costello the only Stones opener to do a Jagger-Richards tune in his opening set?
4) how come none of the bootleg tees (good quality, only $10.00) being sold by the brothers outside the show were above 'medium' in size?!?
5) how do you Bears fans stand it in December and January?!?!?
6) why was not Mick with Bono and Oprah Thursday morning
:-), OK well I guess I can figure out he still has taste!!
7) why was our flight to Providence from O'Hare cancelled Thursday afternoon when the weather was fine in both locations?!?!?
[Edited by lotsajizz]
15th October 2006 03:00 PM
glencar I'm amazed that the coverage in the Chicago papers was so poor.
15th October 2006 05:03 PM
GotToRollMe Sympathy For The Devil:

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
15th October 2006 05:06 PM
GotToRollMe A bit of Brown Sugar:

16th October 2006 02:46 AM
FotiniD Thanks for the videos GotToRollMe
16th October 2006 02:50 PM
PartyDoll MEG She Was Hot

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
16th October 2006 03:14 PM
Gazza Ya beat me to it - "She was hot" for those who havent clicked on it yet

[Edited by Gazza]
16th October 2006 03:17 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Hell yeah! Thanks, MEG!
16th October 2006 03:46 PM
Soldatti Great version!
Thanks a lot for posting it.
16th October 2006 04:16 PM
3DTeafoe

Photo by Teafoe.

[Edited by 3DTeafoe]
16th October 2006 04:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks for sharing your photos, 3DTeafoe!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)