ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Soldier Field, Chicago- October 11, 2006- Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
12th October 2006 07:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Yeah, one of the main reasons they never tour Europe during autumn / winter is the bad weather, but yet that didn't stop them in the States.

yeah but the main issue in Europe is stadium availability. American football stadiums are only used for around 8-10 games between September and January and the baseball season ends in October.

Plus in some parts of the US, you can play outdoors in November - December and reasonably expect decent weather. Playing up north at this time of year though just seems crazy.

If they were able to get stadiums in Europe in the autumn they probably would.
12th October 2006 09:04 AM
jb Great set list, albeit 18 songs....shitty weather, low attendance, but looks like all still mad it a great night...at this point, often times it's more about the party than the show. There was no reason for this show to be outdoors, when they could have had two(2) sell-outs with arounf 15k a piece at the UC. Sheer greed prevailed over sanity and managenebt doesn't seem to care that playing to less than full houses hurt the bands image. As I discussed with another prominent board administrator yesterday, in the end, a couple of less than fullshows won't matter, as we are on a record setting pace to break 400 million..it's just a shame that greed took precedence over sanity as far as this venue was concerned.
12th October 2006 09:06 AM
nanatod
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Thru and Thru at Shidoobee is reporting that Elvis Costello finished about 9:00 EDT.

I think this is mistaken. He finished closer to 8:30 eastern, 7:30 central time.

I and my better half left the pre-party (it was great to greet for the first time in person voodoopug, Meg, LJ, TomL, Nanky, tele, Glencar, parmeda, et. al.) well before the rest of the ro'ers did, and we heard Costello while we were walking over the pedestrian bridge at 18th Street. However, Costello finished playing prior to us reaching the actual grounds of the stadium.
12th October 2006 09:09 AM
nanatod
quote:
jb wrote:
when they could have had two(2) sell-outs with arounf 15k a piece at the UC.

Former (and future -- I'm talking to you, Ben Wallace) six time NBA Champion Chicago Bulls had their first preason game and victory yesterday at the UC, so UC was unavailable.
12th October 2006 09:14 AM
Green Tea How big was the crowd?

What % was empty?
12th October 2006 09:23 AM
jb
quote:
Green Tea wrote:
How big was the crowd?

What % was empty?

Pug said about 30k...all upper decks, sans 2-3 sections, curtained off. Pug siad RW was the best he has seen him since 81. On a sad note, Pug will have a very distressing comment on Keith.....
12th October 2006 09:56 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

"Backstage we had a little rehearsal in Keith’s room…and this time Mick had agreed to join us. I had pressed him to do so in order for us to go over a couple of potential songs to add in to the mix soon. So we went through She Was Hot and Loving Cup. Hopefully it won’t be long before we can give them a try on the stage..."

Well Done -- YES !!!!!

The set list
You Got Me Rocking
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Sway
She Was Hot
Streets Of Love
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Little T&A (Keith)
Under My Thumb (to B-stage)
Rough Justice
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar (encore)

http://www.iorr.org/tour05/chicago4.htm
12th October 2006 09:56 AM
FotiniD
quote:
jb wrote:

On a sad note, Pug will have a very distressing comment on Keith.....

Before the rant begins, let me remind us all, the man's got arthritis and it was a freezing night.

Thanks.

12th October 2006 10:00 AM
jb
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Before the rant begins, let me remind us all, the man's got arthritis and it was a freezing night.

Thanks.

It's not a rant at all..and we all know Keith has arthritis. I won't speak for Pug b/c I was not there, but he seemed genuinely upset.
12th October 2006 10:04 AM
FotiniD
quote:
jb wrote:

It's not a rant at all..and we all know Keith has arthritis. I won't speak for Pug b/c I was not there, but he seemed genuinely upset.

I said before it begins jb And I have a hunch it will be. Well... We'll see.

Waky waky people, we need to know!
12th October 2006 10:04 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

I won't speak for Pug b/c I was not there, but he seemed genuinely upset.

Hi jb..what a suspense man!!
12th October 2006 10:06 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi jb..what a suspense man!!

I just talked to him, and hopefully he willpost something. Then again, maybe he just set me up?
12th October 2006 10:09 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

I just talked to him, and hopefully he willpost something. Then again, maybe he just set me up?

I'm waiting while listening good old CCR.
12th October 2006 10:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Former (and future -- I'm talking to you, Ben Wallace) six time NBA Champion Chicago Bulls had their first preason game and victory yesterday at the UC, so UC was unavailable.

er yeah but they didnt HAVE to schedule the show on THIS date. Two indoor shows on free nights there would have been more enticing. Hard to expect casual fans (or anyone for that matter) to spend that kind of money to stand for hours in a cold, windy stadium in what looked like freezing temperatures - all just because they had to make as much dough as possible by just doing one show.

Its not doing the band's health any favours either.
[Edited by Gazza]
12th October 2006 10:11 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I'm waiting while listening good old CCR.

He has advised he is almost caught up.......he is working in his surburban Chicago office. He also bought a new Camry which has offended many.
12th October 2006 10:21 AM
FotiniD Some copying and pasting until our mission of spies wakes up and reports

From IORR

Rich and Karen Kaczmarek

We had a fleeting thought earlier today. Wouldn't the line in She Was Hot about the cold Chicago night be appropriate. But we thought there was no way the Stones would do something that they have never done before. But they did it and did they ever nail that one. How many others are there like this waiting to be born and enter into the world of the live version.
What a show tonight in Chicago. The crowd stayed warm by dancing and singing all night. Nobody sat down at all in our section, nor anywhere else that we could see. You Got Me Rocking was wonderful as an opener. You Got Me Rocking had fists pumping in the air everywhere. Live With Me and Monkey Man continued the momentum. Mick asked the crowd who was there the last time they did Soldier Field and said that they would change it up from that show. Then we get Sway. Beautiful. Ronnie was very strong on the guitar and a strong vocal from Mick. Far better than the version we saw in Columbus last year.

Then Streets of Love. A real crowd pleaser. Is it the heavy rotation of the of the video on VHI Classic. Song sounds great live. Then the ultimate live song, Midnight Rambler. No dissapointed fans here. A lot of crowd participation. Excellent version of You Got the Silver from Keith without his guitar -- very well sung. Nice work Ronnie. Under My Thumb was a great way to bridge to the center stage. Overall, what a show for Chicago. Thank you Rolling Stones for another visit. Hope to see you again soon, even if it is a cold Chicago night.

Sidenote: We caught the show at Fitgzeralds last night with Nicholas Tremulis and Blondie Chaplan. Both of these guys put out some great solo material and you would think that they have been playing with each other for years if you were at the show. Don't hesitate to give it a listen.

From SHIDOOBEE

JSosa

Everyone knew it was cold. Damn cold. Everyone on stage couldn't pretend otherwise. Mick from the start greeted us on this "Terribly cold night". People around me brought blankets! Although the vendors still sold beer (and STILL had the nerve to scream "GET YOUR ICE COLD BEER HERE!!)...some also were selling hot chocolate. I found it amazing that people still drank beers in the really cold winds.

Ronnie wore these red leather "gloves" that had the fingers cut out to keep his hands warm--but it didn't do much good because we'd catch him shaking his hands awake and wincing because they were so damn cold! The band was all dressed for the weather--Charlie had a sweater on, Keith still in his long black coat and skull hat--which during YGMR almost flew off because of the wind and he grinned as he pushed it back on his head. Mick stepped back a few steps and also tapped the hat to secure it on Keith's head. Mick had his hat on throughout the entire show.

Throughout the show I'm keeping my eye on Keith. With all the talk here about how Keith was doing, and me myself worried due to me listening to a couple boots from this leg, I wanted to see for myself if we were making a big deal out of nothing. Unfortunately, tonight was not a good night for Keith--but only because of one problem: THE EXTREME COLD.

There was something definitely wrong with Keith...he played about 20% of "Streets of Love"...he actually went back to the guitar tech area for a few minutes. Amp trouble? Could be...because the whole night Keith was barely in the mix. When I saw them last in January...you KNEW Keith was in the room. His guitar slapped you in the face and said "Here I am, fucker!". Tonight...it was simply hovering. Not neccessarily his fault...he's not in control of the master volume. Nevertheless...the cold took a huge toll for him.

“She Was Hot” was great…intro by Ronnie and Keith had the solo of the night in that song. The crowd went nuts during the “cold Chicago night” lyric.

Rambler was starting (as we all know..when Charlie starts banging away...and Mick blows a couple notes on the harmonica)...but during that pause when we expect Keith to come in...nothing. He's not there! He's in the back---again! Mick looks back and realizes he has to stall...so he makes the crowd do the "ohhhh yeahss..." that he usually does during the middle part. He keeps stalling. A full minute probably passes and Keith finally emerges...and rips through the chords. The song was fantastic of course--but noticeably short. Again, because of the cold. It was obvious that they wanted to do the bare minimum due to the uncomfortable conditions.

Mind you, Keith is still barely audible. I only THINK I can hear him....but that's only cuz I'm a hardcore fan and I KNOW what Keith should be playing during every song...and know his licks inside and out...much like many people here too!

Keith is introduced and I keep an even closer eye...he hasn't been smiling too much all show and all those descriptions that I've read this past month about him being "out of it"...is very unfortunately present tonight. When he spoke to the crowd...he was missing that energy, that giddiness and that thing that makes Keith, Keith! That thing that makes us love him so! I believe he's exhausted. And hope it's only that.

On the B-stage...the roof over Charlie’s drum set blew due to the strong gusts. Ronnie jumped around pretending the wind would take him too—Mick laughed at him. Considering I was just one section and to the left of the b-stage…I moved up and was 15 feet from them. I could see Keith make gestures like his hands hurt and it was hard to play. I can only imagine. My hands were cold and I had gloves on! I can’t even imagine putting your cold fingers on some strings as they pierce through your skin---OUCH!

I was kinda upset because I was hoping to each give Ronnie and Keith something while on the B-stage. I got Keith a skull scarf and Ronnie a t-shirt with Woody Woodpecker’s face on it and it said “Got Woody?” There was a huge gap due to the baracades so I couldn’t hand it to any of them like I imagined. I eventually through the shirt up on stage…Dave the guitar tech guy picked it up. I hope he gives it to Ronnie!

12th October 2006 10:43 AM
cbuoscio Some great photos on the Chicago tribune site.
Keith looks terrible, he might be finished.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-10/25854982.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-10/25854113.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-10/25854114.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/custom/photos/chi-061011stones-photogallery,1,1032810.photogallery?coll=chi-news-hed&index=3
12th October 2006 10:56 AM
Gazza thanks. In fairness, keith looks much the same as usual to me.

In Europe, I thought he looked quite delicate and his performances, while fine, were more low-key than usual.

However, the sheer number of reviews from the US leg now that have commented adversely on his appearance, demeanour or playing is quite noticeable. Especially when I read it from people who saw the European shows just a month or so earlier.

What hes got up to in those 3 weeks off when he was shooting POTC 3 I dont know, but there are too many people for comfort saying that he doesnt seem himself. I listened to the recent Giants show for the first time the other night and was a bit taken aback by his between-song patter with the crowd. Now, that might sound ridiculous as Keith always sounds like he's slurring or half-cut normally to those who arent used to it, but even compared to usual, there was just something ... missing.

I dont know. Maybe the man is just a bit under the weather of late. Hopefully the week off will do him some good. Something however deep down tells me that maybe they should have taken a longer break after Europe. He sure as hell shouldnt be playing stadiums in cold weather
[Edited by Gazza]
12th October 2006 10:57 AM
luxury1 poor Keith. He needed more rest after brain surgery. Christ, a 20 yr old most likely couldnt have rebounded that quickly from such an injury/operation and then performed--live--in all elements. I feel kinda sorry for him. He is out there putting forth the effort, not wanting to let his band or fans down. And I loved his statement in the latest Rolling Stone about how his appetite has increased since the operation, and he's not sure why. So, there the guy is, fumbling a bit, gaining some weight, refusing to give it all up. Rest a bit Keith, then come back full force.....we'll all still be here.
12th October 2006 11:01 AM
jb
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
poor Keith. He needed more rest after brain surgery. Christ, a 20 yr old most likely couldnt have rebounded that quickly from such an injury/operation and then performed--live--in all elements. I feel kinda sorry for him. He is out there putting forth the effort, not wanting to let his band or fans down. And I loved his statement in the latest Rolling Stone about how his appetite has increased since the operation, and he's not sure why. So, there the guy is, fumbling a bit, gaining some weight, refusing to give it all up. Rest a bit Keith, then come back full force.....we'll all still be here.

Very true, except I don't think he is ever coming back full force. As someone just e-mailed me, it's a bit like watching Frank Sinatra at the end.....we need to cherish this as it is coming to an end sooner than most expect.
12th October 2006 11:06 AM
nanatod
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
...his statement in the latest Rolling Stone about how his appetite has increased since the operation, and he's not sure why.

Maybe he wants to emulate Mick Taylor in more than just musicianship.
12th October 2006 11:45 AM
Jeep Another video from NBC5 :

Direct link :

mms://a453.v12906a.c12906.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/453/12906/v0001/vod.ibsys.com/2006/1012/10058724.200k.wmv

If doesn't work :
http://www.nbc5.com/index.html
At the bottom of the page in Must See Video section
12th October 2006 11:52 AM
Jeep Photos Chicago Tribune :

[Edited by Jeep]
12th October 2006 12:13 PM
chevysales
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thanks. In fairness, keith looks much the same as usual to me.

In Europe, I thought he looked quite delicate and his performances, while fine, were more low-key than usual.

However, the sheer number of reviews from the US leg now that have commented adversely on his appearance, demeanour or playing is quite noticeable. Especially when I read it from people who saw the European shows just a month or so earlier.

What hes got up to in those 3 weeks off when he was shooting POTC 3 I dont know, but there are too many people for comfort saying that he doesnt seem himself. I listened to the recent Giants show for the first time the other night and was a bit taken aback by his between-song patter with the crowd. Now, that might sound ridiculous as Keith always sounds like he's slurring or half-cut normally to those who arent used to it, but even compared to usual, there was just something ... missing.

I dont know. Maybe the man is just a bit under the weather of late. Hopefully the week off will do him some good. Something however deep down tells me that maybe they should have taken a longer break after Europe. He sure as hell shouldnt be playing stadiums in cold weather
[Edited by Gazza]

reports from poc3 set had said they held him up by his ankles for some shots as he came out of his trailer to shaky to stand... this was reprted also by most american entertainment tonight shows prior to this us leg of tour.
12th October 2006 12:23 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
chevysales wrote:

reports from poc3 set had said they held him up by his ankles for some shots as he came out of his trailer to shaky to stand... this was reprted also by most american entertainment tonight shows prior to this us leg of tour.

This plays in to my dope theory...he is in pain...and he is getting high to cope...god bless the rat bastard
12th October 2006 02:56 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

This plays in to my dope theory...he is in pain...and he is getting high to cope...god bless the rat bastard

very intersting, and strangely logical theory.
12th October 2006 03:09 PM
Fiji Joe Of course, it could just be alcohol...see his recent gaff on the set of Pirates...and well, he played good in Wichita...which was at a non-alcohol concert, on a Sunday, with no alcohol sales...I would bet large amounts of cash he went on drunk last night...what with the weather and all
[Edited by Fiji Joe]
12th October 2006 04:29 PM
MarkP 18 songs might seem short, but that does not take into account that the last three songs, JJF, Satisfaction and BS, were probably played in their stretched out, 8 minute versions.

12th October 2006 07:32 PM
BILL PERKS [quote]SweetVirginia wrote:
With thanks to Thru and Thru from Shidoobee:

1.You Got Me Rockin'
2.Live With Me
3.Monkey Man
4.SWAY
5. SHE WAS HOT!!!!!! (live debut)
6.Streets of Love (Sing it, TomL!)
7.Midnight Rambler
8.Tumblin Dice

Band Intros--"Charming Charlie Watts"

9.You Got The Silver
10.Little T&A

To B Stage---
11.Under My Thumb
12.Rough Justice
13.Start Me Up
14.Honky Tonk Women
Heading back to main stage

15.Sympathy For The Devil
16.JJF
17.Satisfaction

18.Brown Sugar

Stadium info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Field
http://www.soldierfield.net/default.aspx

[Edited by SweetVirginia]

THAT IS GREAT SETLIST!

12th October 2006 08:32 PM
Bitch Keef comments aside, I think they gave it a hell of an effort playing outside in the cold weather. Why the fvck they didn't play indoors is beyond reason, it's just plain stupid. IMO.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)