ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Post's Aquilante says Bowie blew away Stones Friday Night. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10-15-02 09:01 AM
Factory Girl I think Sinatra was a wonderful singer, probably the best voice of the 20th century. Plus, he was a cool cat.
10-15-02 09:17 AM
Pants Make the Man He was one cool cat, no doubt, Factory Girl- cool as a cucumber. He was also an excellent actor. He could do light comedy (I highly recommend "Come Blow Your Horn") and he won an Oscar for his dramatic role in "From Here To Eternity" or "The Man With The Golden Arm", one of those two. I would say that he was enormously talented, like a Michael Jackson or an Elvis.
10-15-02 09:27 AM
cocksucker Matthijs wrote:������������
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't quite pathetic to slaughter anyone who isn't in the Stones, and to decimate anyone whom writes something negative about the Stones? And concluding from the fave's list here: does any of you you have a clue that there was music made after 1977, and not only by the Rolling Stones?

Very wise words indeed! Can't we make Matthijs president of this board? This man pumps up the level.
The lists are really a disgrace for people who claim to love good music. It is the Flintstones top 5. Never heard of Joshua Redman, Steve Earle, 16 Horsepower, Ryan Adams, Courtney Pine, Jon Spencer, etcetera???
10-15-02 09:44 AM
Factory Girl I don't think Michael J. is talented these days. He gives me the creeps these days. Yikes!!
10-15-02 09:48 AM
cocksucker who do you mean: Jordan, Jackson or J.Fox?
10-15-02 09:48 AM
Pants Make the Man Sorry 'bout that, FG. I'll never mention that name on this board again.
10-15-02 10:14 AM
ShannonDC I'm way up there with you Bowie fans. It's been Bowie and the Stones for me since I was a teenager (quite a bit ago). I saw Bowie's show at Roseland in June, and it was wonderful. And I think Bowie's musical output in the 1990s is on par with most of his stuff from the 1970s. Except for a brief period in the 1980s, he has always done exactly what he wants, when he wants. And his fans respect him for it. It's something I've often wish $ir Mick would learn - stop catering to the masses and play the stuff the band (and the long-time fans) really like. (We're finally getting some of this on this tour.

It's very stupid to pit two classic acts against each other. Bowie and the Stones are great, and both have made lasting contributions to our music.
10-15-02 10:37 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, I've heard of those artists that you mentioned. I even like some of them. Steve Earle would be somewhere between 6-10.

But the rest? They need to do more than put out a good album or 2 before they even sniff my top 20.

I'll have to take a wait and see. Flavors of the week soon change.
10-15-02 11:04 AM
steel driving hammer 1. Stones.
2. Stones.
3. Stones.
4. Stones.
5. Stones.

Nuff Said.
10-15-02 11:39 AM
gypsymofo60 1. Stones 2.Gunners(Passe maybe, but at least they qualify as post '77)3. The Jam(damn,debut album'77, wouldn't fucking credit it wouldya?)4. Who?????????"Pete, from London England!")5. The fucking Sheffield Kings_THE CULT. BOWIE at 11. 'Hunky Dory'....Ziggy and a few other 70s & early 80s are essentials to any thinking persons rock collection. Hang on to yourself, in your satin & tat.
10-15-02 12:40 PM
Maxlugar He gave the new Coolio album 3 1/2 stars today.

"There isn't a bum track on it".

and

"El Cool Magnifico - is excellent from top to bottom".

YEAH!

10-15-02 01:31 PM
Harrylime 1Rolling Stones
2Beatles
3Hendrix
4Doors
5Elvis
But my list changes,though the Stones always occupy top
spot.Actually I'm just discovering Blonde on Blonde,a
bit of a relevation.

10-15-02 02:12 PM
jb Bowies marriage to Iman is the equivalent of Michael Jacksn's to Lisa Marie.....or Liza to David...a complete farce
10-15-02 02:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot So? What has that got to do with Bowie's music?
10-15-02 04:02 PM
gypsy I don't think Bowie's marriage to Iman is equivalent to that of Michael Jackson's to Lisa Marie. Is it just because it's a black/white thing? I mean, as far as I can tell, neither Iman or Bowie hang out with little kids and have plastic surgery. You're such an idiot, as usual, jb.
10-15-02 04:06 PM
jb Not black/white you flea bitten moron. There is no intimacy you jackass.
10-15-02 04:34 PM
MarthaMyDear My favorite all-time bands are:

1.) Stones
2.) Aerosmith
3.) Sex Pistols
4.) and 5.) And, the rest all change but right now it's Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, Blondie, Public Image Ltd. and solo John Lydon, Joan Jett And The Blackhearts, The Pretenders, and I'd have to add Bowie to that, also, etc.!!!

HE!!! HE!!! ROCK ON!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT 'TIL STAPLES, ANAHEIM, ETC.!!! YIPPEE!!! lol.................. :P Thank you for letting me share!!! YIPPEE!!! lol........................ :P

*** Martha ***
10-15-02 04:38 PM
cocksucker you're sure you haven't forgot Fred Fintstones and his Rambling Pebbles my dear Martha?
10-15-02 04:44 PM
ShannonDC The Bowie-Iman marriage is (at least to us outsiders) one of the most sincere, loving marriages in show business. Together 10 years, just had a child, still in love.

And it's not like Bowie said he was better than the Stones - some reviewer wrote a review (his job) where he thought Bowie was better. Sooooo? It's just his opinion. I'm amused that people get so worked up about this silly stuff.
10-15-02 04:53 PM
Moonisup 1) Stones
2) Chuck berry
3) George thorogood
4) Muddy waters
5) Creedence
6) howlin wolf

123453264) Bowie

i'm sorry he's just not my favourite
10-15-02 05:29 PM
Mickjagger1963 1. Stones
2. Dylan
3. Dead
4. Allman Bros
5. Phish
6. Who
7/8. Zepp/Clapton (tie)
9. Robert Randolph... (If you dont know him, sorry for u)

IF YOU HAVE KAZZA OR SIMILAR THING: DOWNLOAD:

Robert Randolph
The March and/or Ted's Jam (Both great songs)

they will move your feet like you wouldnt believe

10. Beatles

The rest:

Not too familiar with Bowie's work, so i guess I can bash him, but a few of his songs caught my ear. otherwise:

(in no order)

Pink Floyd
Electric Light Orchestra
Doors
Hendrix
Muddy
Slim Harpo
Willie Dixon
Berry
Thorogood
Hooker
O.A.R. (Of A Revolution)
Yonder Mountain String Band
moe.
Phil Lesh and Friends
Disco Buiscits
Willie Nelson
Dave Matthews
Pearl Jam
Govt' Mule
The Other Ones (Surviving Dead Memebers)
10-15-02 06:50 PM
Nasty Habits Max, don't scorn Bowie -- He's a rock and rolling bitch for you!

So what if his latest LP is the most overrated album by a classic whatever this year?

I'm sure he was good, although you're right -- he was no doubt not Stones good.

I've been away from Rocks Off for the last few days because I had a severe case of the blues, which I still am striving to conquer, but don't nobody worry because I'm sure I'll get over it.

It has rained all day in North Carolina but at least it's not raining deer.

I'm all for electing Mathijs board president because then it will be perfectly legal to make Mathijs jokes, and anyway, I find his loss of faith touching, sincere, and earned.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you living proof of a man who has heard too many bootlegs and now reaps the whirlwind.

There but for a little self control and the grace of God (who eventually said, "you know what, FUCK Led Zeppelin, I wanna hear some Swan period Link WRAY!") go you or (not) me.

For post '77 music I like ESG. What about you, Mathijs? ESG or InDEEP? Obviously, ESG is deeper and darker and much more funky, but you can't really listen to ESG on the radio, right? Which is why Buffalo Bill wouldashouldacoulda been that followup they so badly needed to "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life". And what did you think of the Lost Sounds' follow up to "Memphis Is Dead"? WAY to long and a little mannered in my book, but there we go with that whole "CDs are too long and have pretty much killed music post '84. There has been music after '84, yes?

One Beat, surprisingly beyond belief, seems to be shaping up into the album of the year.

My top 5

1. Desperate Bicycles
2. The Unholy Modal Rounders featuring Jeff Frederick and His Clamtones, Michael Hurley, Steve Weber and Peter Stampfel
3. Huey "Piano" Smith
4. Gus Cannon's Jug Jumpers
5. Funkadelic, but only before they signed to Warner Brothers.

Word?

Word!

(the bird, as you all know, is the word)

10-15-02 07:01 PM
Honky Tonk Man 1 Stones
2 Beatles
3 Elvis
4 Who
5 Yardbirds
6 Strokes
7 Kinks

After that theres a whole load of bands!

Alex
10-15-02 08:24 PM
MarthaMyDear Go get your cock sucked, cocksucker!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P lol........................... :P :P :P HOO!!! HOO!!! Kiss my ass!!! HE!!! HE!!! lol............... :P :P :P :P :P lol................ :P
10-16-02 07:34 AM
Factory Girl Bowie had plastic surgery. He's has that smooth, pulled back look now. Not a wrinkle on him.

Bowie's and Iman's marriage is odd b/c he used to date men. Because one can't shed sexual preferences easily, does Bowie still date men (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Or is Bowie a "born-again hetero"...lol?
10-16-02 07:57 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I've been away (..) because I had a severe case of the blues, which I still am striving to conquer, but don't nobody worry because I'm sure I'll get over it.

CDs are too long

I sure hope so nasty...we need you around here

and you're right, that's been one of the big downers of the CD revolution - because they're capable of holding 70 - 80 minutes of music everybody seems to feel obliged to fill up the space - 80 minutes of music is essentially a double album - and (imho) the quality of the music tends to suffer as a result

the two x 20 minute format of vinyl l.p.'s was excellent - anything more (unless it was very good - exile, blonde on blonde - name your favourite double albums) and your attention span begins to stretch to snapping point (or maybe that's just me and what i was used to for so long)

someone should put out a cd (if it hasn't already been done)with a track in the middle being the sound of someone turning a record over - or put some signal in the middle of the disc that stops it playing so that whoever's listening to it actually has to get up and reactivate the player - or a combination of both - you could use it as a selling point - now you can digitally "re-live the days of vinyl"

10-16-02 09:29 AM
gypsy jb, you ROCK!
10-16-02 09:57 AM
cocksucker Martha said:
HOO!!! HOO!!! Kiss my ass!!! HE!!! HE!!!

I will but at one condition: get rid of your Herman Hermit's collection and approve your taste! (And stop taking those pills)

sincerely,
cocksucker
10-16-02 10:08 AM
jb I don't really get you Gypsy..sometimes your pretty deascent to me, and other times quite nasty...my impression is that you are somewhat indifferent to my posts, which is probably the best approach.
10-16-02 10:11 AM
cocksucker or she is as horny as a toad
Page: 1 2 3 4