ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Post's Aquilante says Bowie blew away Stones Friday Night. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10-16-02 11:59 AM
gypsy "deascent" hmmm...sometimes, jb, you strike me as an illiterate fuckhead.
10-16-02 12:02 PM
jb You obviously do not want to move on and stop the hostility..
10-16-02 12:19 PM
Nasty Habits Speaking of illiterate, what's up with "approve your taste"? Doesn't everybody, almost by implication, approve of their own tastes? This statement has Nasty very confused. I think that the intention may have been "'Improve'" your taste", in which case I say we [sic] 'im. It's ok, I suppose, to be a cocksucker, but to be a stupid cocksucker is inapprovable.

10-16-02 12:32 PM
Maxlugar Sublime, Nasty.

You have moved up the ladder here at an alarming yet laudable rate.

Here's to you my friend (holding up an imaginary glass of beer)

MAXY!!! [sic]
10-16-02 12:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot A stupid cocksucker? Isn't that an impossimabilitry? Wouldn't that really be a redunderment?
10-16-02 12:52 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

the two x 20 minute format of vinyl l.p.'s was excellent - anything more (unless it was very good - exile, blonde on blonde - name your favourite double albums)

UUmmmmmmmmmmm......Shit! You're right Stoned! Exile, White Album, Hot August Night shit! Did I say that? Made In Japan, London Calling, Bob at Budokhan, hahaha Kiss Alive! Apart from the odd live set, and compilations like Rolled Gold, or The Story Of The Who, it is taxing on the mind isn't it! SURE AS SHIT WEREN"T DOUBLE LIVE GONZO!!!!! I liked AEROSMITH'S...Live Bootleg. Hheheheeeheheh!
10-16-02 01:06 PM
sirmoonie Funkadelic Nasty Habits!

I used to be black. I'm going to go back to black, real soon.

The "new reality" according to George Clinton (proceed at your own risk, this is some heavy, heavy stuff):

Promentalshitbackwashpsychosisenemasquad (The Doo-Doo Chasers)

The world is a toll-free toilet
Our mouths neurological assholes
And psychologically speaking
We're in a state of mental diarrhea
Talking shit a mile a minute
Or in a state of constipated notions
Can't think of nothin' but shit
And in this world of
Stinky futures, shitty memories and
Constipated 19 now-nows
Emerges from the hinny of your head
The doo doo chasers,
The Promentalshitbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
The prune juice of the mind
The doo doo chasers
Friends of roto-rooter
Bringing you music to get your shit together by
The band in the tidy bowl of your brain
(What was that long word again-Promental?)

A musical bowel movement
Designed to rid you of moral diarrhea
Social bullshit
Crazy do-loops
Mental poots

They call us the unflushables
One swipe a clean wipe
(Go flush it, fellas)

And what causes all of this shit?
What is the source of food for thought?
Ego-munchies
Images doggie bags
Me burger with I sauce on it
Me burger with I sauce on it
A myself sandwich
A personal burger
Hamburger
And a glass of constricted cola
Out to lunch with lunch meat
The fear of being eaten by the sandwich
The Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis-----
The doo doo chasers
Friends of roto-rooter
Music to clean your shit by

Low calorie logic
Muscle brain
Skinny brain

Count the calories of your thoughts
Funk, Confucius says
Like Chinese laxatives
Sweet and sour bowel movements
And in this world of stinky memories
Shitty futures
19 now nows-constipated-like
The prune juice of the mind
The band in the tidy bowl of your brain
Bringing you music to clean your shit by

Funk, the P-Preparation
The mental musical bowel movement
Groovalax
One swipe a clean wipe
And with no extra charge
A psychological trend
A neurological enema
Holy Shit
(let me try one-crap)
Corpolite
Prehistoric doo doo
Helping you get your shit together

Backstage at a Funkadelic rehearsal
We bring you the doo doo chasers
(Which one is George Clinton?)
Out to lunch with lunch meat, once again
The fear of being eaten by a sandwich
Lunchville
Where lunch is a nice time of day
At least twice a week

Fried Ice Cream is a reality

(Which one is George Clinton?)

Fried Ice Cream is a reality
Guess who's coming to lunch
I'm not gonna pay for this lunch, man!

Fried Ice Cream is a reality!

10-16-02 01:10 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
A stupid cocksucker? Isn't that an impossimabilitry? Wouldn't that really be a redunderment?

Deafanately knot. Nor is it an oxymaroon or contradickshun. (Especkally not a contra-dickshun).

I know you've been acquainted with a smart hooker or two in your time, SS.

10-16-02 01:15 PM
Nasty Habits Who SAYS a black band can't play rock music?
Who SAYS a white band can't play funk music?
Who says a dance band can't play jazz music?
We're gonna play the funk so loud we're gonna rock and roll around something something I can't remember and I'm not gonna surf the net to get the quote right

Watch 'em dance!
Watch 'em dance!

OK -- So there's a Funkadelic album done after their move to Warner that absolutely slays.

Way to proove me wrong, SirWinstoonie, you still rool!

Fried Ice Cream Is a Reality!

When in doubt, vamp. (Or at least adlib).

Of course, I ain't no Gemini.

But I ain't short strokin' or half steppin' neither.

10-16-02 01:56 PM
Maxlugar Nasty,

How does a 32 year old know so much about music? It can't simply be from owning a record store. I think that is the normal result of KNOWING so damn much about music.

I'd ask you via email at home tonight but I think the group would benefit from your answer.

You are a special young man.

Now hold on!

{{{{{[[[[[[[[[[[[[{{{{MAXY!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]]]]
[Edited by Maxlugar]
10-16-02 02:05 PM
Factory Girl Is he Nastilicious?
10-16-02 02:43 PM
MarthaMyDear Dear cocksucker,

And, I do mean that sincerely!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P lol............... :P You're the one who disapproves of my taste/choices of favorite bands, etc. (meaning: I approve of them)!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P )... lol....................... :P I forgot to add the Beatles to that list... Am I redeemed??? lol.................. :P :P :P WHO CARES?!?!?! I HAVE WILTERN AND YOU DON'T!!! I HAVE WILTERN AND YOU DON'T!!! I HAVE WILTERN AND YOU DON'T!!! KISS MY RED-HOT, EVER-LOVIN', PSYCHEDELIC ASS!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIP!!! YIP!!! YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P NAH!!! NAH!!! :P :P :P :P :P THANK YOU!!! :P
10-16-02 03:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot MarthaMyDear....Don't tell the others....you are my favorite. But please, let's just keep it as our little secret.

"red hot,ever lovin', pshycadelic ass"
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
10-16-02 03:41 PM
MarthaMyDear OH, SIR STONESALOT, YOU HOTTIE!!! lol.................... SMOOCH!!! SMOOCH!!! SMOOCH!!! HE!!! HE!!! lol.............. :P Ok.... I won't tell anyone... LOVE YOUR CUTE AVATAR AND SCREEN NAME!!! lol......... I'm laughing at my post... I get so offended!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P lol............. :P I'm laughing at this, also: "red hot, ever lovin', psychedelic ass"... It's, like... OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! What did I take this morning??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Anyways, have fun, Sir Stonesey AND cocksucker and enjoy the rest of the day!!! CHEERS!!!
10-16-02 06:14 PM
Nasty Habits Aw, Gee, Maxy, you make-a me blush.

I basically blame the entire nature of my knowledge and existence on the Rolling Stones.

As a young man, your humble Nasty was, shockingly, considered a "nerd" by most of his peers in the small Missouri town where I bode my time and waited for something to happen to me.

Mocked, ridiculed, shunned, your poor narrator turned to books and musics to find solace to his poor exterior surroundings.

One fine, fated day, a box arrived in the mail from the Columbia House Records Club.

In the box was a Rolling Stones tape called "Dirty Work".

I had found the band's singles for the Undercover album utterly fascinating, so I think that I went ahead and bought DW. Either that or I never got around to sending that stupid little card in and they sent it to me because of my irresponsibility. Or because of fate. Regardless, I knew NOTHING of their history. Tabula fucking rasa. My parents were musical nerds, and Neil Diamond was as hip as they got. No brothers or sisters to tell me what was up. Stumbling around in a pop music void, vaguely interested but not knowing that Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen were not exactly drawing from the same well. Or drawing as well, anyway.

Well. While I was getting into "hard rock" at the time, this genre was defined to me by Ratt and Twisted Sister. Completely UNPREPARED was your young Nasty for the snarling, violent, hard rocking HORROR unleashed apon him by the Stones at their most angriest and ragingest. Foul mouthed, vitriolic, unconcerned with being pop or pleasant, Dirty Work signalled to me the existence of a world of music beyond what I was being taught by Casey Kasem.

Dirty Work signalled the beginning of my classic rock phase. I got a fellow nerd outcast friend of mine to record all of the Beatles' catalog for me and shoplifted a copy of Hot Rocks from Wal-Mart. The only outright theft of my life and certainly the most important $14 bill I didn't have on me when need struck.

Hot Rocks certainly changed my life forever. How could I remain the same after driving around in my green Chevy '71 pickup with Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, and Midnight Rambler splitting my ears from my Sparkomatic speakers?

One thing led to another, and one fine day in Columbia, Missouri, I walked into a record store located on the UMC campus called, believe it or not, Whizz Records. The place was a revelation. CHEAP vinyl, cassettes galore, and BOOTLEGS. I fell in love, and was lost.

The first LP I ever bought was the Rolling Stones' Aftermath. In mono. For three dollars. I quickly thought to myself fuck tapes, they're ten bucks. And fuck CDs! They're too expensive and I can't afford a player. By necessity and obsessity, I became a vinyl junkie.

And while I listened to a great deal of music at the time that I now consider slightly pedestrian (I had about a two week prog rock period my junior year and an unfortunate dalliance with Pink Floyd that we must never speak of again.) it was the Stones, the Stones, the Stones that floated my boat most deeply. Their music was bottomless, but that didn't stop me from trying to get to the bottom of it.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that my reputation a Stones head brought me more status in high school than anything I'd done previously. No one fucked with me anymore. The metalheads paid respect, the pop fans were intimidated, the country music kids at least knew who they were, and girls actually responded to me for the first time, saying those magic words a music nerd so loves to hear: "Make me a tape."

I began to dig more deeply into rural (blues and folk) and urban (soul and funk) music, using the Stones and Bob Dylan, who we haven't mentioned and shant, because that would make this run a wee long) as my map. If a name was dropped in a song or in a songwriting credit, I would follow it up and get the originals. If Stanley Booth mentioned an obscure blues performer in Dance with the Devil, I would track it down, using Whizz Records as my primary resource. Tracking down Stones covers led me to records that led me to other records that led me to other records, and I followed the righteous path, throwing off inauthentic music and absorbing the real deal, at least as my ears defined it.

I went to college at the University of Missouri in Columbia, ostensibly to study journalism, although I dropped out of that particular den of vipers very quickly. More comfortably ensconced in a "liberal arts" program, with an emphasis on English, I spent the bulk of my time combing the various vinyl stacks at Whizz, Streetside, and yesh, Salt of the Earth Records in Columbia, not only combing the past roots of the Stones' music, but also the branches that grew out of their heads. The first New York Dolls record, with its relentless vulgarity and hip rock in-jokes , spoke to me so loudly that I forced "Personality Crisis" on friends and other strangers. The Ramones. Television. All the critical benchmarks. I ate them up.

And, in addition to that, my lust for the stupider side of rock and roll, engendered by an unhealthy appreciation for the films of Ed Wood, Jr., led me to the Cramps, which led me. . . everywhere. The Cramps were the Rolling Stones of the 80s except nobody knew it. They picked up on every trashy backroad that the Stones left alone: Garage bands, rockabilly, twisted country. If it was righteous and real, the Stones loved it. If it was wrong and real, the Cramps loved it. I loved it all. If it was real.

I can still remember the day that Whizz got a copy of Welcome to New York, yet another turning point. Never ever ever had I heard rock and roll music played with such simultaneous complete control and utter abandon. Stones bootlegs became the holy grail for me, especially after I really discovered the magic formulae of: the Rolling Stones + Joey's dope = bliss. I would put a great deal of weight onto the significance of Jagger saying, "I knew she was going to MISS her connection" on the Philly 72 soundboard when I heard it on an old Great Dane boot, and would listen to the infinite variations on Midnight Rambler aghast and astonished. The "Mick Taylor" period (having less to do w/Taylor and more to do with how concentrated and into it the rest of the band was at the time) became my ideal for rock and roll and music in general, and I still don't think it's been surpassed.

I don't think a day in college passed that I didn't stop by Whizz Records. The owner was a slightly filthy Armenian immigrant who'd run the store for 15 years, loved the Doors, and was not working the place as hard as he could. Being directly on campus, his little hole in the wall could generate acceptable revenue without really doing a whole lot. He was a pretty funny guy, and took my rabid enthusiasm to heart.

Eventually I got a job at Whizz Records. When I wasn't there I was in the library, attacking the music books or hanging up in the microfiche, scouring over old Rolling Stone magazines for information aboout the Stones and Dylan and anything else that looked good.

One day the owner of Whizz brought me a bunch of old Creem Magazines, which fried my mind. Lester Bangs was SO MUCH BETTER than he seemed in that Psychotic Reactions and Carbeurator Dung book Greil Marcus edited. He GOT IT. He knew that it was a matter of life and death but that it wasn't no hangin' matter. I scribbled imitations, checked out some of the records he loved, and took up drinking fairly seriously, although grass remained my intoxicant of choice.

And although I was going to school throughout all of this I was going to the University of Missouri, which was a cake walk. You had to seriously fuck up to pull less than a 3.0 out of the place, and my facility for words could always mask a lack of study and preparation. Besides, I was an English major, and I've always loved books, so I did all right.

The semester before graduation, the University declared imminent domain on the trashy little strip of buildings where Whizz was. Down these landmarks were to go, and they were to be replaced with a new quad. So Whizz closed down. The old owner had to leave the country to take care of some personal business, and we talked about setting up some kind of partnership when he returned.

Meanwhile, I got a job at Salt of the Earth, a far more punk rock record store, where I learned about all things indie, right on the cusp of the Nirvana explosion, when indie was really exciting. And since the capitol of Indie is Name Drop, I would check out the obscure sources quoted on those records and in interviews as well, since I knew halfway about those old records anyway.

I was getting ready to graduate, and was enrolled in the university's library studies program -- my talents for organization and categorization plus my crazy storehouse of a brain seemed to make bibliophilia a decent occupation to pursue while I pursued musical interest and a vaguely defined "writing career".

And then my old boss called me up.

He was moving to Connecticut to open a restaurant and he needed some startup cash. Since his store didn't exist anymore, he was offering the name and inventory. Cheap as dirt.

Quick decision: Academia or Record Store?

No fucking contest.

I never looked back. Discovered a new off-campus location for the store, parlayed the place's unexploited reputation among almost everyone in Columbia who was associated with its campus into an advertising blitz and set up a business.

My first step after I rented the space? I made my bathroom look exactly like the cover to Beggar's Banquet. This hoodoo is probably the secret of my success. I have had three locations for the business now, and have decorated every bathroom thus. I recommend you do it to yours. It's not feng shui, it's fang stones!

I became the bottom line for quality bootlegs in Columbia, because I knew the entirety of the basic canon for all the classic rock artists and would brook no drop in quality from my suppliers. This was back in the glory days of the early 90s, when they were basically legal in Italy and labels like Kiss the Stone were putting out sublime product almost as good as a real record label.

I became the final word for college kids looking for classic rock albums because I knew the difference between a good Bob Dylan album and a bad one, a good Joe Tex album and a bad one, because I'd put hours in listening, and figured that shit out.

And with my deeply rooted sensibilities I had a pretty good idea what was a good indie rock record that might last beyond its 15 minutes of buzz and what would sell heavily for about a month and then drop off the face of the Earth.

Eventually I discovered the wonders of the contempo garage rock movement, Dylan's deep folkie resources, the glories of George Jones and Merle Haggard, the more insane side roads of 60s psych and the more whacko wonders of late 70s punk, as defined by that great compilation series Killed By Death.

For five years, I put on a radio show on the local community station called the "Rockin' Record Shop". My handle was Dewey Freejack, which is a ridiculously convoluted name for you to unpack. The show was designed to bring all the aforementioned musics together in one crazed celebration of rock and roll, experienced from as broad a perspective as possible. I went to a ton of shows for just about every worthwhile act that came to Missouri, and lived breathed and slept music.

I did that in Missouri for six years.

Through the natural course of events I found myself a very rockin' lady. We moved to North Carolina on something of a whim, selling out half of the Whizz and taking the other half with us. This move has caused me to sacrifice some things, but has brought an equal number of wondrous revelations into my life. Many musical. Some not.

I've been doing the store in Asheville for four and a half years. The ten year anniversary passed last August and I barely noticed. Not a year has gone by when something new hasn't appeared on my plate. For instance, reggae and ska? That's new this year. Couldn't have told you much beyond Skatelites and Toots and the Maytals before February. Knew names, a few key tracks, had a few good LPs (like, f'rinstance, a good comp with "Cherry Oh Baby" on it, necessary for obvious reasons) in my racks and at home, but didn't know much else. But through a confluence of appropriate customers, a few chance buys, and the request of a fine man from New York City, I figured out exactly what was "good" to me in reggae and ska and what was just "OK". I don't know everything about the music, but I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it.

Somehow I have always been able to scratch out a living selling records I wanted to sell while ignoring records I don't care about. Selling 85% vinyl in this modern age. Pushing new bands I want to push, exploring my own interests and convincing people they are their own. I don't know how I've managed to pull that off, but there it is.

Actually, I do know how I have pulled it off. I have never once forgotten or turned my back on what I know to be true north. Which is the Stones. Always the Stones.

10-16-02 06:37 PM
Maxlugar Holy sweet merciful friggin' fuck was that good!

You did not disappoint, my Nasty pal.

So it all started with Dirty Work and a filthy Armenian wetback, huh? Boy that is great! Perfect! Dirty, Filthy, Nasty stuff! It's a good thing you found Dirty Work (or it found you). Seems to have done more for you than your parents. Me too. I am your brother and you are mine.

Dirty Work: Is there anything it CAN'T do?

I have printed out 150 copies of this post and will be passing them out in Washington Square Park tomorrow. Today's youth needs to see this.

Oh, and I am that guy in NYC? I'd love to have been a part of this incredible journey of.....

NASTY GOD DAMNED HABITS!

I gotta go to NC and have a drink with you.

10-16-02 08:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Maxy, you gotta stop and pick me up on the way to Asheville.

You know Nasty, You and I are so much alike it is scarey.

You journalism major...me jourmalism major
You own record store...me want to own record store
You Ed Wood Jr...me Ed Wood Jr.
You follow the righteous path...me follow the righteous path
You Cramps...me Cramps
You herb...me herb

It goes on and on....

It's frightening. There is another me running around North Carolina!!! Or there is another YOU running around PA!

One difference between us....I was one of the cool kids in school.
10-16-02 08:24 PM
stonedinaustralia Yeah , thanks for that nasty

I can hear many echoes of my own story in there

Your point re tracking down the roots (and the branches) of the stones music is, for me, a most important one � when I first became a �hard core� stones �nut� as opposed to simply a (very) appreciative fan I wanted to be a real, true, fan and thought �well, I love their music simply for what it is but what do the stones want me to do with it?� the answer � find out where it�s all coming from � I was already wise to chuck berry & co. yet I still remember the day back in the mid ��70�s when I came across a copy of �Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol.2� � I snapped it up and rushed to take in the revelations and read (as it were) a most important chapter in my stonesucation � unfortunately (if that�s the right way to put it) � my initial reaction to the music was similar to (what I later learned) was eric clapton�s (see his liner notes in the Complete works box set)� I couldn�t listen to it � it was simply too strong and intense and was referring to and calling on things that were way beyond my juvenile comprehension � a bit like a 15 year old who�s developed a tolerance for a couple of beers knocking back a straight double bourbon (no ice) in one throw

Your experience with the mysterious arrival of �dirty work �similar to an experience
of mine

Again in the mid � to late �70�s � at the same time as being into the whole �punk� thing � I spied an ad in an australian music magazine for bootlegs (�Trade Mark of Quality� if I recall) � including , you guessed it, �nasty music�.. so I trustingly sent off how ever much they we�re asking (I�ve forgotten that detail) for a copy of your namesake � weeks passed. - a month came and went � still no record � now getting seriously pissed off � not just because I thought I�d been burned but because I absolutely had to hear that music � I wrote to the magazine in question to air my grievance � they provided some non-committal reply and I almost gave up hope on the thing - then one day I opened the front door and there it was on the door-step � mysteriously with no postage on it � it appeared to have been hand delivered by a person or persons unknown - needless to say my life was never the same again and I too indulged in the double delight of the illict both musical and substanceial � musing deeply at any slight change from the �original� in lyric, feel or inflection

Anyway, I could ramble on like this for at least as long as you � but I�m at work now and while the big boss man may only be tall that�s all � he pays the bills and as you know �there aint nothing going on but the rent�

Thanks again � hear from you soon
10-16-02 08:25 PM
Scot Rocks WOW!!!!!!!

Great post, Nasty what a story!!!

what an idea about the Beggars Banquet theme!!!!

It's Only Rock n' Roll but I like it!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
10-16-02 09:08 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
someone should put out a cd (if it hasn't already been done)with a track in the middle being the sound of someone turning a record over - or put some signal in the middle of the disc that stops it playing so that whoever's listening to it actually has to get up and reactivate the player - or a combination of both - you could use it as a selling point - now you can digitally "re-live the days of vinyl"

Tom Petty definitely did this--Full Moon Fever, I believe. The CD doesn't stop but Tom's voice is heard mid-way advising the listener that this is where the vinyl would turn.

I can't resist: 1)Stones 2)Bob Dylan (& The Band) 3)Fleetwood Mac 4)Beatles/The Who 5)AC/DC 6)Bruce Springsteen 7)Clapton/Neil Young 8)Tom Petty 9)The Clarks [Pittsburgh favorite--try them out!] 10)The Doors/Grateful Dead 11+)Supertramp/ELO

[Edited by Led Zeppelin]
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
10-16-02 09:09 PM
Maxlugar I too was "called" to the Rolling Stones.

In 1976 before my Dad split town he was a DJ in the clubs of Manhattan. He would leave milk crates of albums around and I would always look through them. It was almost always disco which I was totally not into. But one day I came across something totally different. These faces on the album cover were mezmerizing. I literally could not take my eyes off them. I could tell they sounded cool before I even took the album out and played it. The guy on the left looked WASTED! I never thought anyone could look as cool as that. And the guy in the middle was like a caveman. Dangerously stairing at me. I had heard about them and some of their stuff but I was now holding their album and looking at them.

The album? Black and Blue.

The band? The Rolling Stones.

After one spin of that album, I had to know everything about them and hear everything they ever played.

It was that powerfull.

It seems like they found me rather than I found them, ya know? I was just a kid looking at some album covers!

This is all for a reason I feel.

(Start Twilight Zone music)

Isn't this great?

ROCK AND ROLL!!!
10-16-02 09:47 PM
Martha Geez Nasty...thanks for posting a perfect story for me to read tonight as I listen to the Stones "Rock and Roll Circus" (YCAGWYW is playing at the moment..heavily).

I haven't even begun to touch your experience walking the pathway of Stonesicated knowledge, but I can now understand every word you speak....................................

after having seen the Detroit show on Saturday night.

I'm now on a mission....seeking the way to the Stonesian truth....and cannot stop myself either.

It is a way of life................

........you get what you need
10-16-02 11:09 PM
Boomhauer MarthaMyDear is one sexy MA-MA!!!

Tell 'em baby!
[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-16-02 11:29 PM
Riffhard Nasty my man!That was one hell of a read.Not to mention a fascinating story.Your knowledge is deep indeed.

It's strange how music seems to be the strongest of the arts in it's ability to pull you in,and keep pulling.My story is not the same as yours,but,the end result is the same.A lifetime affection/affliction of all that's great about "real" music.

That is why I have always gravitated toward the Stones.In my mind the Stones are the first white rock and roll band that really got it right.They obviously borrowed from all the great artists of "race records." Brian's love of the deep blues.Keith's obsession with Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.Charlie's Jazz leanings.You add the perfect prototype frontman in Mick and a bass player who has been in a pop band,and you have the makings of the perfect fit.

Forty years and a couple of lineup changes later,the Rolling Stones are still playing the "realest music" ever laid down on vinyl or anything else!

I love this line.........

.....The Stones,always The Stones.

Great Nasty,just great!!

Riffhard
10-16-02 11:52 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxy Lugar wrote

Oh, and I am that guy in NYC? I'd love to have been a part of this incredible journey . . .

un-god damned-quote

You are the guy. I'd been listening to a lot of ska, but when it came time to make CDs for the GREAT MAX LUGAR, who hooked me on this board with his joyous and inspiring posts, I knew I had better put my best foot forward! By sorting out all of those songs for you, I learned more about reggae than I did in 13 years of going over to peoples' houses to buy herb.

If you come to Asheville we will get drunk and play pool in a bar that has a jukebox stocked with Stones bootlegs purchased at my store!

quote:
Sir Stones wrote

It's frightening. There is another me running around North Carolina!!! Or there is another YOU running around PA!

I know! And to think we were facing each other during the b-stage at the Vet in Philly! We're lucky we didn't explode!

I've got another one for you:

You Ramones . . . Me Ramones!

If you come to Asheville we will get drunk and play pool in a bar that has a jukebox stocked with Stones bootlegs purchased at my store!

quote:
The ever lucid Stoned in Australia wrote

I spied an ad in an australian music magazine for bootlegs (�Trade Mark of Quality� if I recall) � including , you guessed it, �nasty music�.. so I trustingly sent off how ever much they we�re asking (I�ve forgotten that detail) for a copy of your namesake � weeks passed. - a month came and went � still no record � now getting seriously pissed off � not just because I thought I�d been burned but because I absolutely had to hear that music � I wrote to the magazine in question to air my grievance � they provided some non-committal reply and I almost gave up hope on the thing - then one day I opened the front door and there it was on the door-step � mysteriously with no postage on it � it appeared to have been hand delivered by a person or persons unknown

Which is a great story! I bet the postman "borry'd it for a while!

The one with Brussels and Welcome to New York mixed together! I got mine in Chicago the weekend I saw Keith Richards on the Main Offender tour! I paid 18 bucks for it. I got a copy of the 4 Song Got Live If You Want It EP on a German 12" (plays at 45 RPMS and is fucking POUNDING) at the same store for FOUR BUCKS! That was my first exposure to Brussels. And I thought they could never play better than Welcome to New York! Oy! Nasty Music was SHOCKING!

If you come to Asheville we will blow huge clouds of gage and discuss your fascinating first hand seat from the days when the birdmen flew, while playing the Victims' "Television Addict" over and over again.

quote:
Scot Rocks wrote

what an idea about the Beggars Banquet theme!!!!

I should take a picture and mail it to Voodoo and see if he'll use it as a Rocks Off! header.

A friend of mine once lived with a woman who was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh. They were just roommates . . . anyway, she had this picture of all the Pooh characters around a table celbrating Christopher Robin's birthday or some shit. She had it framed and insisted on putting it in their kitchen. So he bought an extra copy of Beggar's and had it framed so the inside gatefold photograph was showing in all its squalid glory and hung it on the opposite wall.

It was a thing of beauty.

quote:
Lugar:

The album? Black and Blue

I love the fact that we were both called on controversial "weak" albums that are actually works of musical genius.

quote:
Martha wrote
I haven't even begun to touch your experience walking the pathway of Stonesicated knowledge, but I can now understand every word you speak......

There's not a better path to trod, Martha. Keep on walking, don't look back.

quote:
Riff

It's strange how music seems to be the strongest of the arts in it's ability to pull you in,and keep pulling.

It blows my mind that not a year has gone by where I haven't found some new bit of wonderment in music, some side road I'd never gone down before. And it further blows my mind that after all these years I'll still find Rolling Stones nuggets that send my head spinning over my first and greatest love all over again! Music is a bottomless well, and the Stones are the deepest of the deep.

Thank you, Rocks Off!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
10-17-02 12:50 AM
parmeda "I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music."
~George Eliot (1819 - 1880)

"My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence."
~Edith Sitwell

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
~Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist."
~G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
~Martin Luther

"If a thing isn't worth saying, you sing it."
~Pierre Beaumarchais

"Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable."
~Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
~Elvis Presley (1935 - 1977)

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."
~Robert Fripp

"Mocked, ridiculed, shunned, your poor narrator turned to books and musics to find solace to his poor exterior surroundings."
~Nasty Habits

Nasty,
You truly are an inspiration... I think Max said it best with wanting to make copies of your post and distributing it out, for many more to see. It really doesn't matter how or when any of us decided to become so devoted, or so driven by "a music" that has consumed our lives in the many different ways that it has. Being able to express it and hitting upon the one nerve that most of us share, was a wonderful wake-up call. We are all so very different...and yet, so very much the same.

10-17-02 02:16 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

If you come to Asheville we will blow huge clouds of gage and discuss your fascinating first hand seat from the days when the birdmen flew, while playing the Victims' "Television Addict" over and over again.

Thanks Nasty � you know I would so love to do that � h/ever the next block of any vacation I take is planned on being spent following a certain band around the antipodes� but it is a real wish/ambition of mine to one day meet with you (as well as more than a few of the others that hang around here) it really would be �something else�

Also , thanks for the compliment re my �lucidity� � I�m so glad �verbosity� wasn�t the word that came to mind

Yeah Hup!

Fuck Yup!
10-17-02 07:56 AM
Maxlugar Damn Parmeda, One of those quotes is going up down at the Subterranean Tavern at Casa De Maxy

Love 'em! Thanks.

MAXY!
10-17-02 08:58 AM
Sir Stonesalot Dang, this is one cool thread.

And Nasty...let's not even start on the "Oh yeah, one other thing..." thing, or this thread may never end.

You mentioned Television...When I went through my punk phase, I was a Richard Hell-ite. When I send you the Tower show, remind me to send the Television stuff that I have as well.
10-17-02 09:03 AM
Maxlugar Next summit in North Carolina, perhaps?

I love it down there.

Maybe we'll get some fireworks and blow stuff up, too!

ROCK IT!
Page: 1 2 3 4