ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 21st, 2004 09:24 AM
F505 From IORR:

The Rolling Stones are expected to release a live album with songs from the 2002 - 2003 LICKS world tour during the first week of September 2004.

Tracks for the LIVE LICKS album are not confirmed yet, but it is said that there will be one CD with well known Stones songs, to be released in some markets, and another 2CD product, with the first CD plus an additional CD with rarer songs played during the LICKS tour.

The following is a list of racks rumoured to appear on LIVE LICKS. Please note that this list is unconfirmed. The list may change!

Ain't Too Proud To Beg/ All Down The Line/ Angie/ Beast Of Burden/ Before They Make Me Run/ Bitch/ Brown Sugar/ I Can't Turn You Loose/ Can't You Hear Me Knockin'/ Dance Pt 1/ Don't Stop/ Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/ Far Away Eyes/ Gimme Shelter/ Hand Of Fate/ Happy/ Heart Of Stone/ Honky Tonk Women/ I Just Wanna Make Love To You/ Let It Bleed/ Love Train/ Loving Cup/ Mannish Boy/ Midnight Rambler/ Monkey Man/ The Nearness Of You/ No Expectations/ Parachute Woman/ Rip This Joint/ Rock Me Baby/ Rocks Off/ Satisfaction/ Stray Cat Blues/ Street Fighting Man/ Sweet Virginia/ Sympathy For The Devil/ That's How Strong My Love Is/ Thru and Thru/ Undercover/ Wild Horses

Live album number 67....

July 21st, 2004 09:52 AM
Gazza er..yeah but as there'll only be room for about 12-14 of those 40 songs on a single live CD, I wouldnt get too excited!

Also, about a quarter of that lot are covers. Whilst it would be nice to get rarities like "Rock me baby", "nearness of you", "Thats how strong my love is" and "Cant turn you loose" I wouldnt expect too many covers on it as Mick & Keith would be missing out on songwriting royalties - and as it probably wont be a big seller anyway, that might be a factor in choosing the track listing.
July 21st, 2004 09:56 AM
F505 In fact I am not excited at all!
July 21st, 2004 10:02 AM
Some Guy I am totally and completely underwhelmed.
July 21st, 2004 10:42 AM
gimmekeef I think you guys are way too pessimistic...heck I can't wait to shell out big dough for my 68th live version of JJF etc.......
July 21st, 2004 02:14 PM
Soldatti Well, maybe the new album and tour is a little far on the time and this thing can entertain us a little...
July 21st, 2004 04:22 PM
tumbling dice The new live album is good to put in the car and to get new fans because the stones sound is always on time live,but for us hard core fans,we need fresh material so a new live album doesnt matter for us. For curiosity i put my own track list. tumbling dice/2.if you cant rock me/3.dont stop/aint too proud to beg/5.monkey man/6.beast of burden/7.love train/8.its only r´and ´r/9.rock me baby/10.worried about you/11.thru and thru/12.dance/13.rock´s off/14.midnight rambler
July 21st, 2004 04:38 PM
F505 I will buy the album just for ONE song: Worried About You. Mick was absolutely brilliant on that song. It still gives me the creeps when I listen to WAY on the Tokyo boot. So let's hope it will be on Live Licks. And of course Heart Of Stone as second best.
July 21st, 2004 04:45 PM
Gazza >The new live album is good to put in the car and to get new fans

I'd have thought that "40 Licks" would have covered that territory more than adequately.

If someone is going to buy their first Stones album, then I seriously doubt a hodgepodge of live recordings over a period of 20 years or so is going to be an essential choice.

There's absolutely NO point at all to this live compilation - commercially or artistically.
July 21st, 2004 04:57 PM
beer
quote:
Gazza wrote:

There's absolutely NO point at all to this live compilation - commercially or artistically.

Oh, I dunno Gazza. I think The Stones should take a tip from Kiss and start releasing all sorts of random crap. Official Rolling Stones cell phones, condoms, fishing poles, kitty litter, snorkels, telescopes, duct tape, sumbreros, hot sauce, cowboy boots, hammers (and nails), diapers, prescription drugs, everything, the possibilites are endless. They need to market everything! $$$$$$$
July 21st, 2004 05:20 PM
Gazza Dont they already? LOL

what about those silly Stones dolls they were selling at the Licks shows?
July 21st, 2004 05:29 PM
beer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Dont they already? LOL

what about those silly Stones dolls they were selling at the Licks shows?

We're anxiously awaiting the Official Chuck Leavell Toilet Paper, the Prince Rupert Stones Credit Card, and the official Mick Jagger DNA changer: it prevents paternity lawsuits and such.
July 21st, 2004 05:33 PM
Gazza If Mick's the patron, I think it'll sell even less than "Live Licks" will!

Actually, there WAS a Stones credit card a few years back (On the BTB tour if I'm right). Only in the US, though
[Edited by Gazza]
July 21st, 2004 06:31 PM
F505 I have seen all this ridiculous commercial shit seen pass by: belts, mugs, rings, watches, persicopes, hats, gloves, jackets, skirts, socks, perfume,underwear, caps, ugly posters and T-shirts, puppets, tour guides, even a Voodoo Lounge car (!) and it has brought in millions and millions. The sad thing it it has nothing to do with music.
[Edited by F505]
July 21st, 2004 10:29 PM
corgi37 The credit card was for Voodoo Lounge.

This is on top of my "Never buy" list. I will do the democratic thing, the polite thing, the real thing. I will download what i want - and in the process, become a cool, steely-eyed outlaw and deny these old bastards any more money until they bring out new stuff. I hope the release gets savage, horrifying reviews, and every 2 bit critic really gets stuck in them.

So, if you really want WAY, down load the damn thing.
July 22nd, 2004 12:18 AM
Zack I want the Stones watch. Is it waterproof?
July 22nd, 2004 03:29 AM
F505
quote:
Zack wrote:
I want the Stones watch. Is it waterproof?

Which one of the 248?
July 22nd, 2004 10:41 AM
exilestones@netscape If your not excited about a new live Stones album then you must not be a big Stones fan. There has been a Stones album yet that didn't have a few great things that I love. It's a lot better than nothing!
July 23rd, 2004 03:28 PM
meauro I agree with F505, Worried, like Dance are rareties I hope to find on the new live.
Like Hand of fate (something better than the olympia).
I don't think there is a good version of Hot Stuff (Hey Mick ! forgot the words!!)
...what a shame
Well 40 licks: a great tour
Four Flicks a great DVD
Live licks.... sure something great
jean marie
July 23rd, 2004 04:38 PM
Gazza >If your not excited about a new live Stones album then you must not be a big Stones fan.

Guess I'm not much of a fan then and from what I've read from others on this and other fan sites, not too many others are by your definition.

The Stones release a live album from every tour. Each sells less than the one before it and the songs are usually edited to fuck. The last one was the worst selling record of their career by some considerable distance.

It's a contractual obligation cash-in and a very belated one.

Stones releases since 1974 :

Compilations - 5
Live albums - 6 (7 if you count R&R Circus)
Studio albums - 9

and since the last studio album, theyve done 2 live albums and a compilation - with another compilation about to be reissued.

It takes a bit more to "excite" me than that I'm afraid!

If its 2 CD's of previously UNISSUED live material (as is now suggested), I'll buy it. However the only Stones official live album I play on a regular basis is Ya Ya's.

[Edited by Gazza]
July 23rd, 2004 04:43 PM
Moonisup live?
I think there will be some studioplaying on it
July 23rd, 2004 04:56 PM
Snappy McJack Barging in here with some "Jump Back" content. From the official site (rollingstones.com)

"Jump up! And out of your seats, rush to your local record store and get a copy of the new Stones compilation, Jump Back: The best of the Rolling Stones 1971 - 1993, in stores August 28th"

Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones 1971-1993 to Recieve First-Ever U.S. Release on Virgin Records/EMI

On August 28, The Rolling Stones’ previously import-only Jump Back hits collection is finally released Stateside. Never before released in the U.S., the post-‘60s set contains 18 of the band’s top singles from 1971 to 1993, and has been a staple in the band’s European compilation titles since its original 1994 Virgin UK release. The CD has been digitally remastered from the original tapes and contains track by track liner notes from vocalist Mick Jagger and lead guitarist Keith Richards.

Jump Back is the only Rolling Stones hits compilation to collect the band’s top post-‘60s singles on a single CD. A must-have for diehard fans and casual listeners of the Rolling Stones alike, the smash-packed CD features 18 of the band’s signature classics, including “Bitch,” “Brown Sugar” and “Wild Horses” from 1971’s Sticky Fingers; “Tumbling Dice” from Exile on Main St. (1972); “Angie” from Goat’s Head Soup (1973); “It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll (But I Like It)” from It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll (1974); “Fool To Cry” and “Hot Stuff” from Black and Blue (1976); “Beast of Burden,” “Miss You,” and “Respectable” from Some Girls (1978); “Emotional Rescue” from Emotional Rescue (1980); “Start Me Up” and ‘Waiting On a Friend” from Tattoo You (1981); “Undercover of the Night” from Undercover (1983); “Harlem Shuffle” from Dirty Work (1986); and “Mixed Emotions” and “Rock and a Hard Place” from Steel Wheels (1989).

Jump Back: The Best of the Rolling Stones 1971-1993

Tracklist:Year Of Release:
1. Start Me Up 1981
2. Brown Sugar 1971
3. Harlem Shuffle 1986
4. It's Only Rock N' Roll 1974
5. Mixed Emotions 1989
6. Angie 1973
7. Tumbling Dice 1972
8. Fool To Cry 1976
9. Rock And A Hard Place 1989
10. Miss You 1978
11. Hot Stuff 1976
12. Emotional Rescue 1980
13. Respectable 1978
14. Beast Of Burden 1978
15. Waiting On A Friend 1981
16. Wild Horses 1971
17. Bitch 1971
18. Undercover Of The Night 1983

July 23rd, 2004 05:25 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:

Great news, the cover is different!!!!!
[Edited by Soldatti]
July 23rd, 2004 07:47 PM
cwatts0462 this release is just silly, the stones should take a page from zep and release something from the vault, they really
piss me off with this crap
July 23rd, 2004 07:58 PM
Soldatti This is the new Release Schedule on UK for September 20:
BoxSet
Rolling Stones - Rolling Stones Singles 1969-1971

album
Bryan Adams - Room Service
Blind Boys Of Alabama - There will be light
Jake Brennan & The Confidence Men - Love & bombs (with bonus dvd)
Collective Soul - Youth
Crash Test Dummies - Songs Of The Unforgiven
Elvis Costello - Il sogno
Elvis Costello - The delivery man
Gotan Project - Inspiracion/Espiracion
Hall & Oates - Our kind of soul (cover album)
Kings Of Leon - A-Ha Shake Heartbreak
K-Os - Joyful Rebellion
Limp Bizkit - Best Of
Mania - Do you know your daughter is on the roof?
Brian McKnight - Gemini
The Music - Welcome to the North
The Neville Brothers - TBA
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus
Rolling Stones - 40 licks live
System Of A Down - TBA
VHS Or Beta - Night on fire
VA - Star Wars Trilogy

dvd
Fleetwood Mac - Destiny Rules
July 23rd, 2004 10:19 PM
Snappy McJack Virgin blows.

You go to that CDNOW website and the difference of the import and the "new release" of Jump Back is only a $1 ($19.98 to $18.98). This import has been sitting on the shelves for years in the US at a respectable price (unlike other imports that can be very pricey), they removed it from shelves to give more room for "Forty Licks" (which was released less than 2 years ago; and I think I'm right when I read somewhere that the imports were pulled off to stress the importance of the latest release of "Forty Licks").

Now they are using some sham of a marketing strategy; what a lame way to sell it. Is there nothing else they have to "keep the Stones in the know"? It's not like they have to re-release something like this to get attention, do they? I thought "Forty Licks" was supposed to set the bar for their back catalog. Now, all they are doing is wasting plastic and paper, and who knows if they make any money off of this.

No special remaster (SACD, DSD, etc.), no bonuses, no anything! Just new packaging!
July 24th, 2004 08:06 AM
SirMuddy Hi there....

Remember Four Flicks?
Why do you need another live album with the same tracks?
I put it all on cd... sound damn good! I did "Licks you live" for my car:

102 Street fighting man (MSG)
104 Don't stop (MSG)
The Rolling Stones - Love Train (Olympia)
403 Rock me baby (Wiltern)
306 No expectations (Olympia)
307 Worried about you (Olympia)
309 Stray cat blues (Olympia)
312 That's how strong my love is (Olympia)
315 Nearness of you (Olympia)
110 Thru & thru (MSG)
113 Can't you hear me knocking (MSG)
207 Paint it black (Twickenham)
405 I can't turn you loose (Circus Krone)

I put it on winmx too (it's slow but it's work)...

And right now I'm listening to 400 tracks, 30 cd boxset live compilation of my own (33 hours, 17 minutes & 18 seconds). Every decent live tracks from Get yer to four flicks... And, sometime I don't know, i think it's a classic 78 live version of Love in vain, and no, i check my playlist it's from a boot from First Union Center, Philly... That's why I love the stones, there's so fucking hot you think you're in 78 again!

Jah bless yaaaaaalllll!
Luv & peace
July 24th, 2004 11:53 AM
Jumacfly Well done Sir muddy...i m acting the same way, and dont need another live records, or a 115 best of like jump back!!
i remember on the first version of this record, many ends of songs are cut, for example "miss you" miss the ending solo or a part of the intro...
keep your bucks for the tour IMHO.

cheers
JU

ps: 100 agree with CWatts0462 ... marketing sucks, yep!
July 24th, 2004 12:51 PM
Gazza The promotional announcement for this CD is unbelievable:

"Jump Back is the only Rolling Stones hits compilation to collect the band’s top post-‘60s singles on a single CD."

uh..well technically correct if you're going to be pedantic about "40 Licks" which included all of these songs on one of the two discs. Otherwise a pointless statement.

" A must-have for diehard fans and casual listeners of the Rolling Stones alike"

Yes. But only if you despise everything they did prior to 1971 because the last compilation we released (which all of you already own, sometimes 2 or 3 times over) covered not only the same period and songs covered on "Jump Back", but their superior 1960's singles collection and a few key songs from AFTER 1989 as well, thereby making "Jump Back" completely and utterly redundant.

Who do these clowns think they're kidding with statements like these? Did they compose that with a straight face?
July 24th, 2004 01:37 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Who do these clowns think they're kidding with statements like these? Did they compose that with a straight face?

No, they double up with laughter....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5