ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live album to be released on September (inc. the best from "LYL" to "NS") Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 13th, 2004 04:44 PM
Baby Steelie
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Just got a press release from rs.com

The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce that to coincide with the release of two new/old compilations "Live Licks" and "Jump Back" later this summer, that Premium Fan Club members will be able to purchase an interactive DVD of the turds of each of the four band members which were freshly created at Studio Guilaume Tell in Paris this summer especially for the fan club.

The DVD, entitled "The Rolling Stones Number 2's" will be available for $100 from September 20th but we are taking pre-orders for this essential new release NOW!

The DVD comes complete with interactive features such as a "scratch and sniff" facility and a "poop scoop" (the latter of which is supplied with the first 5,000 copies only). There will be also be a further limited edition released at Christmas with signed copies of bodily functions performed by all of the band members past and present, including Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman which is expected to retail at around $10,000. The ultimate gift for the fan who has to have everything!

The "release" of this original and pioneering piece of marketing was in response to feedback from the loyal fans who subscribe to rs.com and who expressed that they were anxious for fresh material from the boys in 2004 while they wait for the new album and tour which is due to follow in early 2005. The band, as always, are always happy to oblige as a thank you to their fans who have supported them throughout the years.

[Edited by Gazza]

There have been members (fools) on this board who have claimed that the Stones could release a CD (literally) of their shit and said fan (fool) would buy it. Good to see the band is giving them a chance. Gazza, is there "bonus" material on the DVD? Are we going to get to see the band in the process of making the turds? Or are we only going to get to see/feel/touch/heal the resultant offal?
July 13th, 2004 04:52 PM
Bloozehound Kool beans !

Will the dvd also include that awesome interactive, select-a-stone feature, so fans can choose close-up shots of their favorite Stone in action growing a brown tail ?

hotdamn this offer smells like a hit
July 13th, 2004 05:51 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Rolling Stones are pleased to announce that to coincide with the release of two new/old compilations "Live Licks" and "Jump Back" later this summer, that Premium Fan Club members will be able to purchase an interactive DVD of the turds of each of the four band members which were freshly created at Studio Guilaume Tell in Paris this summer especially for the fan club.

The DVD, entitled "The Rolling Stones Number 2's" will be available for $100 from September 20th but we are taking pre-orders for this essential new release NOW!

The DVD comes complete with interactive features such as a "scratch and sniff" facility and a "poop scoop" (the latter of which is supplied with the first 5,000 copies only). There will be also be a further limited edition released at Christmas with signed copies of bodily functions performed by all of the band members past and present, including Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman which is expected to retail at around $10,000. The ultimate gift for the fan who has to have everything!

The "release" of this original and pioneering piece of marketing was in response to feedback from the loyal fans who subscribe to rs.com and who expressed that they were anxious for fresh material from the boys in 2004 while they wait for the new album and tour which is due to follow in early 2005. The band, as always, are always happy to oblige as a thank you to their fans who have supported them throughout the years.

[Edited by Gazza]

July 13th, 2004 05:59 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

You make Joey giggle .
July 13th, 2004 07:52 PM
Navin They could re-release an updated Voodoo Lounge CD-ROM...never did manage to get it back in 1995, and since have read all about its apparent disadvantages and coupled with difficulty in obtaining one for the past many years - gave up on the whole thing.

At least that one has The Stones peforming 'bodily functions'...distinctly remember an MTV news feature that ended the story on the VL CD-ROM with "....and if so inclined, you can even take a leak with The Stones!"
July 13th, 2004 08:07 PM
stones-addict Holy crap! Is an album of new material too much to ask for? The boys could literally shit out an album with no effort and have it filled with great songs. Why rehash what's been done? I don't need another live album. I'm gonna go play 'Talk Is Cheap' and pretend it's the '80s again...
July 13th, 2004 08:48 PM
Phog It irks me to have to re-buy the already-released stuff, but I'll dig it if the Licks tour disc is good. I still have faith in them. Sometimes they test me though. Oh, I'll go ahead and add my voice to the choir: "GIVE US NEW MUSIC PLEASE!!!!"
July 13th, 2004 09:43 PM
Steel Wheels If there's one thing I hate more than a best of album, it's a best of live album.

It's never been done before. Do you know why?

It's a fucking lame idea!

Nothing beats repeats.
July 13th, 2004 09:44 PM
Soldatti
quote:
I'm gonna go play 'Talk Is Cheap' and pretend it's the '80s again...

At least on that times we got many albums, from the Stones ans solo members, only on 1984 we didn't have nothing but on the rest of the 80's we got Stones, Mick, Keith...
July 13th, 2004 10:19 PM
full moon These motherfucking whores are gonna make me go postal .... I could go fucking wild ......
July 13th, 2004 10:38 PM
mac_daddy I am not sure which had me laughing the loudest, but they are all classic.

thanks for the chuckles fellas!!!

quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
I just hope it's over-priced. It wouldn't feel right, otherwise!

quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Lamer Than You'll Ever Be.

quote:
Joey wrote:

The " No Security " disc ROCKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST OFFICIALLY RELEASED LIVE STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( except for Flashpoint )

G. I. JJJJJJJJERKY JOE BOY !

July 13th, 2004 11:39 PM
glencar This is one of the first times we've all been kind of anti-Stones. Is the end near? The Stones have tried our patience to the limit this time.
July 14th, 2004 12:38 AM
stones-addict
quote:
glencar wrote:
This is one of the first times we've all been kind of anti-Stones. Is the end near? The Stones have tried our patience to the limit this time.

We've lived through years of Chuck Leavell, and we'll probably live through this bullshit too. It kind of bugs me that the Stones know their fans will grumble all the way to the cashier and pay for this shit anyway... We suck!
July 14th, 2004 12:42 AM
Soldatti Let's see: The last live album of the Stones "No Security" sold 320,000 copies on US according to Soundscan. The "Four Flicks" DVD sold 296,000 copies according to a Billboard article from today (about Elton John's new DVD with Best Buy).
No Security sold 38,000 copies on his first week and debuted at #34. "Four Flicks" sold 53,000 copies on his first week and with that sales on that week (Issue date: Nov. 29, 2003) and if the DVD had been an album, his debut position on the albums charts was #36 on that week.
That weeks (Nov 1998 and 2003) got high sales and on other times of the year the debuts positions with that sales are highest.

My prediction for this thing: The release date of the live album (September 7) have low sales. The album will sell close to 25-30k on the first week and will debut around #30-40 on the charts. A Top 40 album for they, and with half live compilation is good for Virgin.

I also expect a good performance for "Jump Back" on the States, too. This two albums are a shame for me, but at least both have chart potencial, Jump Back more than Live Licks.

Both albums can be on the Top 40 on the same week, something that didn't happen since 1975 with Metamorphosis and Made In The Shade.

Two Stones' albums on US chart at the same time? That didn't happen since January 1990...
[Edited by Soldatti]
July 14th, 2004 01:26 AM
corgi37 This little Aussie dog is snarling. This is unforgiveable. No, i wont buy it. Yes, i MIGHT down load some songs, and feel mighty chuffed i didnt put any of my bloody money into their bulgeing fucking pockets. If they are so out of creative ideas, just call it quits. In reality, Licks should have been the goodbye. Then, we could have got some great officially unheard of stuff. Charlie could get into his Jazz big band, Jagger can make pathetic "modern" records with his superstar mates, Ronnie could re-join Rod Stewart full time and Keith can continue to warble his now trademark lounge-act songs. But, collectively, they can all go to hell. How can i defend this to non-fans? Some one with a level head like Charlie should have stood up and said; "Arent we bit lazy? Shouldnt we give them some thing they havent heard before?"

Maybe Mick would have said: "Nah, fuck em, i got some rich, tight faced slut to fuck".
Maybe Keith would mumble: "Something new? How about this jazz reggae track i wrote. 50bpm, goes for 22 minutes. Just me and an acoustic. You know i play a 5 string Tele and wear a skull ring, dont ya?"
Maybe Ronnie would just shake his head and wish he never quit the Faces. Or the booze.

If this happens, and i'd say it will, to me, the Stones are a finished band. To be viewed the same as Van Halen, Kiss, Aerosmith, or even The Who. Just another band that dont know when to quit. They've been ripping us off for years, and like the stupid, mindless fools we are, we lap it up. Well, not anymore. If i could even be bothered, i might down load it. I hope this set sells as much as Jaggers solo cd sold in U.K. in 1st week. 1,000 copies! Haaha, you prick!

Dont blame the record guys. The buck stops with the band. They would have to agree, or else they would have notices in the presss critisizing this debacle. Why, oh why, do they think we need more live stuff. Surely, there is enough stuff in the well to draw from without compromising Mick's long time distaste for re-hashing old stuff. Oh, yeah, he hates the old stuff. Does that money hungry dog acutally think its "cool", or "hip", or even "groovy", to give us this trash and not officially release stuff like "Brown Sugar" (with Clapton), "Cocksucker Blues" (both of the famous versions), "Claudine", "Beggars Breakfast, even "Fiji Jim"? Man, the list is endless.

Why not an album of outtake covers? Off the top of my head i can think of "Drift Away" and "Da doo ron ron" (cant think of any more, but i got heaps off the net). Why not the 22 minute studio version of "Miss You"? The really long version of "Tumblin Dice"?

This is pitiful. Bottom of the barrel stuff. I am ashamed to be a fan. No, wait, i'm not. I mean, i am ashamed to be a fan of the millenium Stones. I still love the 60's-90's Stones. I hope every one in the press, the media all around the world, other artists, their peers, peopls who look up to them, man, even their fucking window cleaners - i hope all of them savage the band for allowing this to happen. For allowing themselves to be lazy and bored with their lot. For taking us for granted one time too many. For not having the balls, after 7 bloody years, to sit down and make new music. New stuff, no matter how crap, would be 2,000 light years better than what this is.
July 14th, 2004 05:25 AM
Gazza T>his is one of the first times we've all been kind of anti-Stones. Is the end near? The Stones have tried our patience to the limit this time.

Yep, and this is basically what happens when you rip your fanbase off time after time for several years with overpriced shows, ticket scams, lack of new material and a fan club where you're asked to stump up lots of money for..nothing. The problem is, enough people have allowed this to go on for years and it only encourages them to treat their fanbase as a bunch of idiots who will fork out for anything that has a tongue logo on it.

Some of us have whined about it for the last few years only to often get the reaction of "if you were a real fan you'd buy it or pay up", "if you dont like it, dont go" or "thats the way the music business works these days - tough" (I don't mean you, personally, Glencar, but you get my drift).

One shining light is that at least this latest scam is something we can pretty much all agree on as a rip-off too far (although I've actually noticed on a couple of boards that some sycophants HAVE actually managed to get excited about BOTH of these new 'releases'. They obviously don't get out much)

Corgi - you speaketh the truth, my friend. Your posts in this thread and elsewhere in the few hours are the work of a man inspired.
July 14th, 2004 06:53 AM
F505 Let's be honest. The Stones are basically dead. I am one of their biggest supporters but unfortunately we must conclude their part is almost played out. Personally I don't even care if there will appear a new album because it can
almost only harm their mythical status. I consider the period 1962-1978 as their golden era. With a few highlights in the eighties and nineties the lights are slowly fading out. But the question is: can we blame them? I don't think so. However they can be blamed because they're trying to cash in on everything that has a tongue logo on it as Gazza says. And that's really sad. Their official fan club is one of the biggest swindles in history of rock 'n roll. With all the poor designed garbage they sell they earn millions. It's a shame the Stones apparently support all this. It has nothing to do with where it's all about.
However I'll cherish the great many excellent records and concerts the Stones have given us.
Amen!
July 14th, 2004 07:09 AM
LadyJane I agree that this whole best of live shit is pretty damned lame. We deserve better.

BUT...as far as saying the Stones are dead. Can't agree with that one. I enjoyed the Licks shows that I saw..I mean really enjoyed them. Sure...they aren't the same as they were 20 years ago, but neither am I.

Do I want a new studio album? Yes

Do I think they have it in them to go out with a classic? Yes.

Should they stop touring? NO!!

Should they cut us some financial slack for years of dedication? Most definitely!!

LJ.
July 14th, 2004 07:25 AM
Gazza I still think their new studio album will be pretty good. Don't ask me why, I just do. Maybe its because its been so long it could HARDLY be too bad.

I also think they're a fine live act - I enjoyed the last tour very much, even if part of me gets a bigger kick out of the camaraderie of meeting everyone these days than the concerts. But maybe thats also because I'm spoiled as I've seen more shows than a lot of people have.

But whatever it is the Stones stand for (if they stand for anything) in the last five years or so means nothing to me.
And it used to mean a hell of a lot, which is the sad thing.

I simply can't equate a rock 'n' roll band that I've followed for over a quarter of a century with the shameless and exploitative rip off merchants that they have turned into, with little or no consideration for their legacy and how they'll be remembered. If they cared half as much about their music and their legacy than they do about fleecing their fanbase and pandering to the likes of coporate America or anyone who will wave a 7 figure cheque in their direction then they'd still be untouchable. They themselves have made a big deal for years about the way their old pre-1971 material was repackaged by Klein and ABCKO. Unlike those guys, they actually have the power to put out new AND previously unreleased material. They have actually turned into the people they used to despise.

July 14th, 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza >We've lived through years of Chuck Leavell, and we'll probably live through this bullshit too. It kind of bugs me that the Stones know their fans will grumble all the way to the cashier and pay for this shit anyway...

Not me. I won't buy this pile of shite until it's in some bargain bin somewhere or in a car boot sale.

I'll simply download the tracks I miss for free anyway. If ever there was a Stones album that cried "dont buy it - download it", it's this one. It sounds like the ideal album for the modern era in some ways.

July 14th, 2004 07:36 AM
beer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>We've lived through years of Chuck Leavell, and we'll probably live through this bullshit too. It kind of bugs me that the Stones know their fans will grumble all the way to the cashier and pay for this shit anyway...

Not me. I won't buy this pile of shite until it's in some bargain bin somewhere or in a car boot sale.

I'll simply download the tracks I miss for free anyway. If ever there was a Stones album that cried "dont buy it - download it", it's this one. It sounds like the ideal album for the modern era in some ways.

What if it has naked pictures of Gypsy in the liner notes? You'd buy it then, right? I would! Gypsy could get a job for the Stones!
July 14th, 2004 08:12 AM
Gazza A naked pic of a different RO lady on every page of the booklet, how's that?

And everyone can make their own choice of centrefold. Can't say fairer than that!
July 14th, 2004 08:18 AM
F505 First I want to see a taste of what's in store for us.... Than I decide if I will buy the album
July 14th, 2004 08:28 AM
gimmekeef I'm going to exercise my ultimate protest and for the first time since 1964 (yes) I'm not going to buy a Stones release.For keeeeeyyyyyyyyriiiissstttttt sake at least they could offer up rarely done tracks such as Loving Cup,Neighbors etc that most folks only have on boots.
July 14th, 2004 09:11 AM
Gazza >First I want to see a taste of what's in store for us.... Than I decide if I will buy the album

Are you referring to the music on it or the suggestions for the liner notes ?
July 14th, 2004 09:12 AM
F505 Ofcourse the suggestions for the liner notes
July 14th, 2004 09:20 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
A naked pic of a different RO lady on every page of the booklet, how's that?

And everyone can make their own choice of centrefold. Can't say fairer than that!

I want a centerfold of jb!
July 14th, 2004 09:21 AM
Snappy McJack As I said, as long as most people are going to pay up to $350 per ticket (probably more for some shows), the Stones will play and keep touring, and unfortunately, the prices will go up. The shows will most likely not fill up, but they'll make a lot of money simply for the fact that tickets will be high priced.

I seriously can not believe how people pay $350 for one ticket and act like it's nothing. They give the excuse of "Because it's the Stones, man! They can do whatever the hell they want, and I'll support them in any way..." It's people with attitudes like this that justify what the Stones are doing.

July 14th, 2004 09:25 AM
F505
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
As I said, as long as most people are going to pay up to $350 per ticket (probably more for some shows), the Stones will play and keep touring, and unfortunately, the prices will go up. The shows will most likely not fill up, but they'll make a lot of money simply for the fact that tickets will be high priced.

I seriously can not believe how people pay $350 for one ticket and act like it's nothing. They give the excuse of "Because it's the Stones, man! They can do whatever the hell they want, and I'll support them in any way..." It's people with attitudes like this that justify what the Stones are doing.

Quite right!
July 14th, 2004 10:30 AM
Gazza >I seriously can not believe how people pay $350 for one ticket and act like it's nothing. They give the excuse of "Because it's the Stones, man! They can do whatever the hell they want, and I'll support them in any way..." It's people with attitudes like this that justify what the Stones are doing.

agreed. That plus the premium package tickets where you're paying four figures for a ticket in some cases. Let's face it, if youre going to pay $3,000 for a show when the average price of a ticket for the same show is "only" $125 then you're going to look pretty stupid if you come out and say it was crap or ridiculously overpriced. Those tickets may be a tiny bit better than what someone else paid for a tenth of the price and who is sitting a couple of rows further back from you, but worth ten times the cost? Madness. There'll be people who will doubtless argue otherwise and that's their right to do so but I'll remain unconvinced. A case of the emperor's new clothes, if you ask me.

I paid �150 for a 9th row seat at Wembley last August. It was quite possibly the best show I've ever seen the Stones play. Was it worth that money? No, not really..not for a night out when you think about it logically but it was still a terrific night. Would it have been much better had I paid the fan club package and paid ten times as much to get in the first couple of rows? Not in a million years.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5