ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live album to be released on September (inc. the best from "LYL" to "NS") Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 12th, 2004 08:03 PM
Soldatti The new live album will be released on September 7 on the US and the day before on Europe and Japan. I think that is called "Live Licks" or something...
The first CD will have the best of the live albums from "Love You Live" to "No Security". The second CD will have the Licks world tour.
Here is the pre-order on Japan (but I don't think that somebody will understand):
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1832235

"Sympathy For The Devils" said the same:
http://www.sympathyforthedevils.com/news.htm

This is the last thing that I can ever think: the best of the live albums...
July 12th, 2004 08:08 PM
mac_daddy this is one of my biggest pet peves (sp)...

why bands wont take a solid show and release the whole thing is absolutely beyond me. format be damned. peter frampton's double live album sold tons. so did that e street band box that came out after the born in the usa tour. if you build it, they will come...

these "best of" collections from live shows blow monkey chunks. you cant get a feel for the show at all, and often times, the person selecting has completely different taste than me (still life comes immediately to mind)...

and who thought it was a good idea to remove the final verse of sympathy on ya yas!?!?! i had to go back and splice that shit in from the ya yas acetate boot, and it was a pain in the ass (but wholly worth it)...

what they should do is release the entire mocambo stuff, as a box set. or at least compile a full show out of both nights' material, and release that.

______

"best of No Security" - isn't that kind of an oxymoron..?

[Edited by mac_daddy]
July 12th, 2004 08:09 PM
Snappy McJack WHAT

ARE

THEY

DOING

?????????????????????????????????????????
July 12th, 2004 08:12 PM
LadyJane DO NOT tell me this is the new album we've all been waiting for!!!

"Best of the live albums". WTF??

C'mon "boys"...this is so damned lame!!

LJ.
July 12th, 2004 08:16 PM
Snappy McJack Why a double album, though? If you are going to release a live album, just make it a single disc! The cost of this thing is going to be too much, and I presume that cuts from "Flashpoint" and "No Security" will not be a good selling point.

What is up with the "best of" releases lately?
July 12th, 2004 08:32 PM
Gazza you've got to be fuckin' kiddin' me!!!

an eleven year old compilation as a follow up to a double CD compilation that had all those songs on it anyway to begin with?

and then..a month later..

A live album compilation? Including songs from "No Security" - the lowest selling album the Stones ever put out and the one whose commercial failure (so we thought) meant no more live album cash-ins? Hands up who thought THIS was a great idea? No? Thought not! Oh but theres a live CD of Licks material on it. Great. A year after the tour ended too. Just when you thought that "Four flicks" meant we wouldnt have the critically redundant alternative of another bloody live album. I suppose it'll be stuff that was on the DVD just to add insult.

Is this band artistically redundant or what? I fuckin' give up..

I bet the fan club will be givin THIS gem away as a "special treat" to us for our 'loyalty'.

Soldatti, please tell me that this is the Argentinian equivalent of April Fool's Day and you were joking.
July 12th, 2004 08:36 PM
Snappy McJack http://www.musictap.net/Archives/Po...730.html#062804

Under the "CD" bar -- a little more than halfway down the page.

"We mentioned to you last week that Virgin Records will issue a Rolling Stones title, Jump Back, on August 24. On September 7, Virgin will also release a Rolling Stones Live album. For all those folks who attended a Stones show over the last few years, this will serve as a highlighting of the tour for you."

July 12th, 2004 08:39 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I suppose it (the licks tour material) will be stuff that was on the (four flicks)DVD just to add insult.

that would beat all.
July 12th, 2004 08:53 PM
Gazza "For all those folks who attended a Stones show over the last few years, this will serve as a highlight of the tour for you."

+++ BLANK FRIGGIN STARE +++

July 12th, 2004 09:01 PM
Snappy McJack I can't honestly think of anything from Virgin that could beat "Licked All Over".

July 12th, 2004 09:18 PM
Gazza Suggestion for album title

"Flogging a Dead Horse" or

"Now We're REALLY taking the piss"
July 12th, 2004 09:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Soldatti, please tell me that this is the Argentinian equivalent of April Fool's Day and you were joking.

I wish Gazza, I wish...
July 12th, 2004 09:36 PM
Nellcote Virgin milking out the contract?
July 12th, 2004 09:52 PM
Gazza thats what I'm beginning to wonder myself with two 'albums' being suddently scheduled for release just TWO WEEKS apart.

If reissuing an 11 year old compilation that is entirely comprised of songs that are on a top selling compilation (40 licks) thats STILL selling well isnt commercial suicide then folowing it up with a live compilation 2 weeks later certainly is - considering a) theyve waited until a year after the tour ended and b) the last live album proved once and for all that Stones live albums are dead wood. ("No Security" was by a long distance the worst selling album the Stones have ever deemed worthy of release - even though they played around 50 shows in North America and Europe in the 6 months that followed)

I could almost see their point if they put out JUST an album of songs from 2002-2003 but padding it out with repackaged stuff from years ago and getting people to buy a double CD for one CD of live material is shitty. But a single CD of a tour with the 3 types of shows is just plain stupid. How can you do the variety of shows and the concept of that tour justice over about a dozen songs?

The timing of it sounds like an afterthought. As does the issue of "Jump Back". The Stones have one more studio album left with Virgin/EMI on their contract. Maybe there's some silly clause in it that they can release another studio and live album before they quit the label but that they have to do it BEFORE their last studio album comes out for Virgin or something. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I'm amazed that the Stones would put their name to anything as shoddy as this. The lack of artistic control is shocking.
July 12th, 2004 10:06 PM
mac_daddy best case scenario (in terms of rationalizing these release decisions) - virgin can reissue/package/release stuff until the final studio album goes out - then the contract ends. thus, maybe virgin knows the stones have an album (almost?) in the can (great news for us), and so they are trying to milk the rest of what has been a flagship contract before it disappears forever...

but they have their heads up their collective asses if they think this is where the $$ is at. if the want to reissue, they should do the sacd treatment to their side of the catalog. those would sell, continuously, for a long time.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
July 12th, 2004 10:15 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

what they should do is release the entire mocambo stuff, as a box set. or at least compile a full show out of both nights' material, and release that.

couldn't agree more mac_daddyo

that's been my thoughts for a long time
July 12th, 2004 10:16 PM
M.O.W.A.T. If they must release live albums, how about classic shows (ie. El Mocambo, Knebworth, Paris 76...) otherwise, they risk the chance of being lumped in with Rush.
July 12th, 2004 10:50 PM
cwatts0462 well remember back in april when charlie had to cancel
his tour do to a stones special project, god i hope this isnt it
July 12th, 2004 10:59 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
cwatts0462 wrote:
well remember back in april when charlie had to cancel

Yeah, funny if it turns out that he was just doing overdubs for a live album! LOL
July 12th, 2004 11:25 PM
kahoosier I don't know which is worse, the fat that they are doing this, or the fact that I will buy the live album. Sigh....its a sickeness "Oh your love's a sweet addiction..."
July 12th, 2004 11:44 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Suggestion for album title

"Flogging a Dead Horse" or

"Now We're REALLY taking the piss"

How about these:

"Laughing All The Way To The Bank"

"Contractual Obligation"
July 13th, 2004 12:59 AM
T&A Really strange. I can definitely see myself passing on this, unless there are some real gems on the second disk not from FF...otherwise, I've already burned all the DVD tracks onto CDR, so would have no use for it. But, honestly, shame on the Stones...
July 13th, 2004 01:59 AM
sammy davis jr. Record execs are the scum of the earth....and stupid. I would hope the Stones have no say in the matter, but I'm sure they do. The boys are taking us for a ride. They are proving the facy over and over: They are an 'oldies" band. Just like the Beach Boys.
July 13th, 2004 02:42 AM
FotiniD
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Record execs are the scum of the earth....and stupid. I would hope the Stones have no say in the matter, but I'm sure they do. The boys are taking us for a ride. They are proving the facy over and over: They are an 'oldies" band. Just like the Beach Boys.

I think we're jumping on conclusions here. Big time jumping.

I'm more with Gazza and Mac_Daddy here, meaning I think it's Virgin's move to make more $$ - record executives are indeed stupid, and they may think it will sell. Yes, I too think it's the contract stuff in the middle. It just doesn't sound like a 100% Stones decision to me at all.
July 13th, 2004 03:16 AM
egon does richard brandson need to finance another trip around the world?
July 13th, 2004 04:11 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Virgin milking out the contract?

Yes, that is what it is.
Then what are they going to do another live album after this tour? They could of saved this and released a live album from Licks and upcoming tour instead of giving us this.

Get a studio album out.
Ian
July 13th, 2004 04:15 AM
IanBillen
quote:
cwatts0462 wrote:
well remember back in april when charlie had to cancel

Cahrlie would not have to cancel the rest of his tour for some over-dubs for a Live album. That only took 10 days, if infact it was over-dubs for a live release.
Ian
July 13th, 2004 06:39 AM
Jumacfly sad sad sad...they really want to rip all our money with their paying website, this re issue, jump back 2....
Stones are just a brand nowadays, like Coke or Adidas...
July 13th, 2004 06:39 AM
cwatts0462 [quote]IanBillen wrote:

Cahrlie would not have to cancel the rest of his tour for some over-dubs for a Live album. That only took 10 days, if infact it was over-dubs for a live release.
Ian
[/quote
your right but i dont know what else it could have been
at this point,plus by the time the stones go on tour next year charlie could have done the tour after all
July 13th, 2004 07:43 AM
UGot2Rollme my guess is that Mick needs some renovation work done on his chateau and his cut from this bound-to-be poor selling compilation will probably cover the bill...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5