ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live album to be released on September (inc. the best from "LYL" to "NS") Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 15th, 2004 10:29 PM
corgi37 Yeah, its strange they dont do that. I think even the Who do that. If so, i'l be buying a cd of the Melbourne show i'm going to in 2 weeks. But, the Stones used to lead the music world in innovation. Well, i guess they did. Or thought they did. But, they are really behind the times now. Its like its all to hard for them to think up something new, or its beyond their money hungry comprehension to offer something to the fans. Sure, Jagger's probably the main one, but where is "Mr. Man of the People" Keith Richards? Why isnt he saying: "Arent the ticket prices just a litte too high? Do we really need to make $2mill (or whatever) EVERY night? Why dont we do a free gig? Why dont we release every show as a gift? Present ya ticket, get a cd. But, none of them give a stuff anymore. Its just about money, how much, and can we rip off more?

I still think the $350 i paid per ticket was good value. Night of a life time type of experience. But, ya know, I kinda expected a better light show and video presentation. I know it was stripped back, but i dunno, its just me. I like all that flashy shit. I guess i still expect a lotus flower stage and inflateable cock.
July 16th, 2004 03:51 AM
gotdablouse I've been saying it for a while, but the day the "music of the Stones" died is when they postponed their UK '98 dates for tax purposes and then realized in 99 that they could tour without new material. Blame it on Blair!

I also remember Mick saying at the time that he didn't mind taking the tax hit, but this was not the case of "other people involved" so he went along with this. He made it sound like it could have been Keith, the outlaw who lives only for the music...right.
July 16th, 2004 04:39 AM
Gazza That's not strictly accurate. the band claimed they decided to postpone the tour due to the change in UK tax laws (implemented by Gordon Brown, the Chancellor of the Exchequer) which would have taxed them retrospectively. They said the reason they did this was to protect the earnings, not of the band but of the crew, who would have had all their earnings even on the non-UK part of the tour liable for tax under UK law. All sounds very noble, except that it was later pretty much established that as about two thirds of the crew were from the US, they wouldn't have been affected at all. The band basically postponed the shows to suit themselves.

Keith said afterwards that when it came to a vote on whether or not to cancel, he abstained as being a resident of the US he wasn't going to be affected anyway (just like most of the crew in other words!)

They then postponed the tour and promised they'd not only mae up the dates (which they did) but would also add around ten small theatre shows around the UK to compensate for the inconvenience (er...whatever happened to that one?)

Personally, I'd no problem with them postponing the tour because I think the change in the tax law was unfair and there's no way anyone's earnings for the entire year should have been taxed retrospectively as a result. If that meant them making a loss on the European leg of the tour just because of four stadium shows in the UK, they were justified IMO in postponing it. If they'd been honest about the reasons and then made good on their promise the following years they'd have been respected for it. Instead of course they added about 7 or 8 stadium shows around Europe and a 35 date tour of the US instead - using the latter as an excuse to stick up their previous ticket prices by up to 500%. THAT, for me, is when they lost all credibility.

Ahh...the good old days..when ticket prices were still in two figures and not three (or four!!), when there was an official website that didnt cost you an arm and leg to join to get precisely..er,nothing,when no one had heard of Clear Channel, when everyone got a fair crack at good tickets and when bands cancelled tours because of death or injury and not for tax dodges! Can it only have been six years ago? LOL
[Edited by Gazza]
July 16th, 2004 07:34 AM
JaggaRichards This is shameless!
But seeing I'm a completist, I'll have to buy them....
July 16th, 2004 08:19 AM
Gazza >Yeah, its strange they dont do that. I think even the Who do that. If so, i'l be buying a cd of the Melbourne show i'm going to in 2 weeks.

They do indeed. I just got my copy the other day of the Birmingham show I went to 5 weeks ago. Double CD for �15. Terrific sound too. Well worth the investment and the proceeds go to charities supported by the band.
July 16th, 2004 01:23 PM
gotdablouse Thanks for clarifying Gazza and I agree that postponing wasn't scandalous in itself, but rather its consquence: they realized they could milk the fans without bothering about new material. Not sure what they were thinking at the time, but they must have realized they would have to relaunch the "big rigs" to make this financially viable in 1999.

I guess the only good thing that came out of that is that they came back to Arenas and I saw them play a monster MR in San Jose in April '99.
July 16th, 2004 01:31 PM
Gazza I guess it worked out OK as well from a personal perspective as I managed to get to the see the Stones in Hartford, Ct. with Jaxx and Voodoo and to meet (for the first time) lots of good folks who up until then were only names on a computer screen.

Without all that happening, I would have had to have waited until 2002 to repeat the experience in the US, although obviously I was able to do it at the UK '99 shows as well but with (mostly) a different set of people!
[Edited by Gazza]
July 16th, 2004 05:27 PM
Joey " Yeah, its strange they dont do that. I think even the Who do that. If so, i'l be buying a cd of the Melbourne show i'm going to in 2 weeks. But, the Stones used to lead the music world in innovation..................."

Corgi .....................You are a Great Man and much loved by the Joey !

July 17th, 2004 06:15 AM
Bloozehound Bloozehound wrote:
header scares me.......looks like Leather Face...oh no don't saw off me leg....cut off me .too much blooood...truth is stranger than fiction....did u ever see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.... too much bl000000d.....

let's dance babies...

[/quote]
[Edited by Bloozehound]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5