ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sala Oval, Museu National d'Art de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain 12th July 2007 ( Deutsche Bank Privat Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
17th July 2007 03:35 PM
Saint Sway I love that they devoted 2 tunes of the crappy 14 song set list to Keith's set

LOL... they are such creatures of habit
17th July 2007 04:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I love that they devoted 2 tunes of the crappy 14 song set list to Keith's set

LOL... they are such creatures of habit

Bankers need to pee, too.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
17th July 2007 05:19 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Bankers need to pee, too.

yeah, that rose champagne runs right thru ya

17th July 2007 05:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

LMAO, Jo! Now there are a few mental images I'll have a hard time getting out of my head. Yikes!

I thought she was joking too, when we went for dinner and she told me she had these wigs in her car that she'd just bought for the sake of a photo op. I'm sure my face looked a picture when I climbed in and there they fuckin' were. Pigtails and all. I would have looked like Heidi. I felt bad that she'd spent money on all this just for a pic, but even I draw the line somewhere...
17th July 2007 06:06 PM
jostorm Hello, Heidi!
Yes, but little do you know of my great and cunning plan for the O2. First I shall brownie and dinie and beerie you, then I shall produce the "special" wig and the camera,
and hey presto!, you shall be immortalised in the annals of RO as :

FUCK YOU, HEIDI,WILL YA?????

17th July 2007 07:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Hello, Heidi!
Yes, but little do you know of my great and cunning plan for the O2. First I shall brownie and dinie and beerie you, then I shall produce the "special" wig and the camera,

doesnt quite have the same ring to it as "wine me, dine me, 69 me", it has to be said..

having seen pix of Marko in similar get-up a couple of years ago, I may get my running shoes on!
17th July 2007 07:45 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Hello, Heidi!

You are now ON ORDER from the ROCC to get this assignment done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
17th July 2007 07:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

You are now ON ORDER from the ROCC to get this assignment done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.

Never mind the 'annals' of RO...if she tries that it'll be a swift kick in the 'annals' of jostorm...
17th July 2007 07:50 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Never mind the 'annals' of RO...if she tries that it'll be a swift kick in the 'annals' of jostorm...

Remember you are outnumbered...
17th July 2007 08:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

yeah, that rose champagne runs right thru ya

It was nice that they gave Vladimir Putin a ticket, wasnt it?
18th July 2007 08:22 AM
jostorm Don't change the subject, Dear!!!

LJ: your wish is our command...

PartyDollMeg: he won't see it coming, will he???
18th July 2007 08:25 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Don't change the subject, Dear!!!

LJ: your wish is our command...

PartyDollMeg: he won't see it coming, will he???

Oh he sees it coming alright....
but we have our "superior" female hormones working in our favor!
18th July 2007 09:04 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jostorm wrote:

I think that if you're an aesthete you ought to try and see the White Stripes if they ever play in your neck of the woods, I am sure you would love them! This tour they just have a plain red satin backdrop, and the lights throw shadows of Jack and Meg alternately against it, it is visually mesmerising, and the music.....what can I say?...
They make your soul laugh...

As to "School of Rock": I love that movie! Must have seen it about a dozen times with my daughter..... Last summer, when all the cancellations happened, I would also have loved to see Mick Jagger take a running jump from the stage, exactly like Jack Black, and then the crowd part, and Mick going "splat!" on the floor, I was soooo angry....

Bob Dylan still does it for the music, for the art, for the kicks, because he loves doing it, the old cantankerous bastard, but these four are in it as individual members of the RS Corporation. It's just a way of making a shitload of money in a very short time.And for a very long time we've been bending over and taking it from behind, that's the essence of it!

But back to Fiji's question: who wouldn't do the same???
Don't know. I would like to think that there are things in this life that no price tag would make me do, no matter how high. Perhaps I am deluded, who knows???
If pressed hard enough, if my child's life depended on it, I would do whatever it takes,you name it-I'd do it, but for money???? Somehow I don't think so.
I would certainly not say at a press conference "You can keep the money" and then proceed to keep it all myself...lol
Dudes are old.
Dudes are also greedy.
And the irony of it is you can't take any of it to the grave with you, so what's the point???

Re: the White Stripes: make your soul laugh is an apt description indeed. Half the problem I have with going to see the White Stripes is that I'll never ever be able to top seeing them play a show I booked for them at a local club here in Asheville back in 2000 - a little room (so to speak) of about 100 people, all absolutely in love with the first two records and completely pumped to have them there. The crowd made the band play through just about every song they knew and the band was completely blown away by the support and enthusiasm they were shown. This was right before the huge bidding war for the third record, when it was becoming obvious that something really unusual was going to happen to that band, but when they were still often playing to rooms of 20-30 people. The Flaming Lips showed up after their gig up the street and rocked out with the rest of the room. Just about the finest give and take of rock and roll energy I've ever been a part of and a great great night. Two years later I'm seein' 'em open for the Stones in Cleveland (?) and being yelled at by a fat guy behind me to sit my ass down and stop dancing. Once you've grown accustomed to club shows, it's hard NOT to find being a dot in a crowd of X,000 alienating. As a long time supporter of bands whose recordings are successful if they sell 10,000 copies, I am in awe of the Stripes' success, but the whole thing is, to me, pretty weird. This is my big rock 'n' roll conundrum - I mainly love records/bands that have little or no mass appeal/hope for general fame, but my favorite band of all is the Rolling effing word concern Stones.

I love School of Rock, too - it is one of those movies I'll put on if I'm bummed out or feeling like the world is a giant pile of crap. Jack Black's character in that movie is a great example of a guy wrestling with the exact same nonsense that we're jabbering about in this thread - His insatiable belief that "one great rock show can change the world", his wrestling with the fact that he's an aging guy who's never going to be a rock star, his discovery that he actually has something practical to do with his accumulated leisure time knowledge -- all that idealism and rock triumphing over squaresville on parade is guaranteed to sap me up. If only real life were more like it!

I didn't bring up Dylan before because his name does not belong within any notion of "consistent" anything. But as the other monolithic pillar that supports my whole rock 'n' roll musicview I believe it or not have a thought or two about him! Would he play for the bankers? He has in the past, I believe, or their corporate equivalent. I am done with seeing Bob, too. Hit the point of diminishing returns. I still feel like he's on a tear with his recorded output - really did love Modern Times. My biggest kick with Dylan lately is Theme Time Radio Hour. While I am sure that he is getting paid LAMF to do that show, the obvious pleasure he gets out of putting the show together, airing those tracks to a very large audience, and hearing how much he's improved as a radio personality/voice show me a still creative, vital person willing to try something new, as opposed to doing the same old same old like them old moss gatherers. It is enough to make me forgive him for coming up with the same radio "schtick" that I've been working off and on for years. I must admit it galls me a little bit when I announce I'm going to do some theme or other for a Replacement Party special and someone will say, "Oh, like Bob Dylan!" Why does he have to be so great at EVERYTHING?

It's interesting that you bring up things you will do for your children in your "lines in the sand" section because it brings us back, once again, and perhaps boringly, to Neil Young, who spent much of the 80s NOT paying attention to his recording career because he was so busy exploring every conceivable alternative therapy for his cerebral palsy, which eventually led to his Bridge Benefit charity work. The idea that he was motivated in doing this so that his image as "the guy with integrity" would be further solidified is something I find absurd.

In re: your last line - right. This may expose another aspect of my silly naive idealism to say, but I genuinely believe that there comes a point where enough is enough and while they have rarely shown they have any sense of that particular limitation in ANYTHING (part of what makes them the Stones) doesn't mean that sometimes I don't wish they'd put on the brakes and get back to the base. Having never been given the opportunity to test the theory, what the fuck do I know about it, but I do believe there's more profound things to communicate than "he who has the biggest pile wins". And even if what you're communicating is "rock 'n' roll is the greatest music ever", there are surely better ways of going about it, as witnessed by how few people actually dance at Stones shows and that so many 'fans' refer to their covers of influences and peers like Ray Charles, James Brown, and the O'Jays as "cheesy".
18th July 2007 05:48 PM
jostorm
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Re: the White Stripes: make your soul laugh is an apt description indeed. Half the problem I have with going to see the White Stripes is that I'll never ever be able to top seeing them play a show I booked for them at a local club here in Asheville back in 2000 - a little room (so to speak) of about 100 people, all absolutely in love with the first two records and completely pumped to have them there. The crowd made the band play through just about every song they knew and the band was completely blown away by the support and enthusiasm they were shown. This was right before the huge bidding war for the third record, when it was becoming obvious that something really unusual was going to happen to that band, but when they were still often playing to rooms of 20-30 people. The Flaming Lips showed up after their gig up the street and rocked out with the rest of the room. Just about the finest give and take of rock and roll energy I've ever been a part of and a great great night. Two years later I'm seein' 'em open for the Stones in Cleveland (?) and being yelled at by a fat guy behind me to sit my ass down and stop dancing. Once you've grown accustomed to club shows, it's hard NOT to find being a dot in a crowd of X,000 alienating. As a long time supporter of bands whose recordings are successful if they sell 10,000 copies, I am in awe of the Stripes' success, but the whole thing is, to me, pretty weird. This is my big rock 'n' roll conundrum - I mainly love records/bands that have little or no mass appeal/hope for general fame, but my favorite band of all is the Rolling effing word concern Stones.

I love School of Rock, too - it is one of those movies I'll put on if I'm bummed out or feeling like the world is a giant pile of crap. Jack Black's character in that movie is a great example of a guy wrestling with the exact same nonsense that we're jabbering about in this thread - His insatiable belief that "one great rock show can change the world", his wrestling with the fact that he's an aging guy who's never going to be a rock star, his discovery that he actually has something practical to do with his accumulated leisure time knowledge -- all that idealism and rock triumphing over squaresville on parade is guaranteed to sap me up. If only real life were more like it!

I didn't bring up Dylan before because his name does not belong within any notion of "consistent" anything. But as the other monolithic pillar that supports my whole rock 'n' roll musicview I believe it or not have a thought or two about him! Would he play for the bankers? He has in the past, I believe, or their corporate equivalent. I am done with seeing Bob, too. Hit the point of diminishing returns. I still feel like he's on a tear with his recorded output - really did love Modern Times. My biggest kick with Dylan lately is Theme Time Radio Hour. While I am sure that he is getting paid LAMF to do that show, the obvious pleasure he gets out of putting the show together, airing those tracks to a very large audience, and hearing how much he's improved as a radio personality/voice show me a still creative, vital person willing to try something new, as opposed to doing the same old same old like them old moss gatherers. It is enough to make me forgive him for coming up with the same radio "schtick" that I've been working off and on for years. I must admit it galls me a little bit when I announce I'm going to do some theme or other for a Replacement Party special and someone will say, "Oh, like Bob Dylan!" Why does he have to be so great at EVERYTHING?

It's interesting that you bring up things you will do for your children in your "lines in the sand" section because it brings us back, once again, and perhaps boringly, to Neil Young, who spent much of the 80s NOT paying attention to his recording career because he was so busy exploring every conceivable alternative therapy for his cerebral palsy, which eventually led to his Bridge Benefit charity work. The idea that he was motivated in doing this so that his image as "the guy with integrity" would be further solidified is something I find absurd.

In re: your last line - right. This may expose another aspect of my silly naive idealism to say, but I genuinely believe that there comes a point where enough is enough and while they have rarely shown they have any sense of that particular limitation in ANYTHING (part of what makes them the Stones) doesn't mean that sometimes I don't wish they'd put on the brakes and get back to the base. Having never been given the opportunity to test the theory, what the fuck do I know about it, but I do believe there's more profound things to communicate than "he who has the biggest pile wins". And even if what you're communicating is "rock 'n' roll is the greatest music ever", there are surely better ways of going about it, as witnessed by how few people actually dance at Stones shows and that so many 'fans' refer to their covers of influences and peers like Ray Charles, James Brown, and the O'Jays as "cheesy".

WOW, the White Stripes BEFORE they were famous with just 100 people???? You lucky bugger!!!!(Ooops, it just accurred to me I don't really know your gender, not that it matters??) And you are SOOOOOOO right, once you have had such an "experience of a lifetime" and lived through true "communion " of a little crowd with some brilliant musicians and all the interaction that entails, what exactly is the fucking point in going to see them in a stadium????
How utterly brilliant,wish I had had that chance, I just know my husband came home one night with both first albums and said "listen to THESE TWO!"....

I don't really know about where they play in the US, but the last White Stripes "world tour" seemed to take place in rather unusual and mainly smallish and more intimate venues, or am I mistaken??? I thought they started it all off in Brasilia (I think) in Brazil, in a custom-built opera theatre surrounded by deep jungle( the one featured in the movie of "Fitzcarraldo" with Klaus Kinsky, about the excentric weirdo building the opera house in the middle of nowhere and transporting every bit of building material by steamboat up the Amazon river...). I remember distinctly reading a revue of that particular first concert somewhere that said they actually finished a song halfway through the gig, jumped down from the stage,ran out of the hall and across the town's plaza,being followed by hords of the audience, then went up into this house and continued playing from the balcony......
I caught them in the Princess Ballroom in Blackpool, a beautiful Victorian building with old chandeliers, and in the smallish Manchester Apollo (that one doesn't fit more than 1200 people, can't remember how many were at the Ball Room, but it still had quite an intimate feel to it). When I saw them at the O2 festival in Leeds a few weeks ago, it had been raining torrentially for days, so the place was half empty, and my daughter and I spent their set in the moshpit (in wellies=rubber boots, great athmosphere!).It didn't feel like a big venue at all...But, of course, having seen them in a little bar must be absolutely mind blowing...
I'm too young to ever have seen the Stones in the pubs they started playing, but I "accidentally" caught Ron Wood and Bo Didley when I was living in Madrid in 1987 (?). There were big black posters with enormous magenta letters plastered all over Madrid walls, announcing it for weeks beforehand, but obviously ( and to my utter delight!) no one knew who the fuck they were... So I ended up in this beautiful old club with wooden floor, wooden stage at shoulder height with about 150 to 200 people,with the most pristine acoustic, in front of Bo, dancing (and a radius of two metres free around me!)Definitely one of THE best 5 gigs of my life, with Bo immitating my dancing and laughing and simply reaching out and handing me his plectrum at the end of the show, it was magical, I could have touched both their ankles if I had wanted to....
During the Licks tour I caught the Stones in 3 small clubs, which is perhaps why it is such a let-down this time around, also to know they will do it for the money but not for us fans,it's difficult not to perceive it as pure disdain, I think that deep down we all feel the same about it, really....
Perhaps in the Us the White Stripes got pushed to do bigger places???
The whole idea of sitting people down at a rock concert and "maximizing" the experience by feeding them overpriced hot dogs and gallon containers of drinks is so sick anyway, some clever American invented it and it has been the curse of concert goers ever since. People telling you to sit down at a concert should be immediately expelled from the venue with a boot up their fat arse, a hot dog shoved into each ear, and the nachos and cheese sauce dripping down their stupid heads!I agree, it should be small, no chairs, people dancing...
I can't say I have the time anymore to go and see a lot of small bands with the "thirst of the beginner". Used to, when I lived in Madrid and was single and care-free, but now I live in the middle of sheep-shagging country in the North of England and I work so hard I am truly knackered at nights...(Dudette is old! ) No doubt there is a vivid music scene in Leeds, but the mere thought of commuting for over an hour each way at nights fills me with dread...
I caught the Arctic Monkeys and the 22-20s in a tiny Manchester University hall last year, but apart from that I wouldn't even know how to identify the good ones from the bad ones, I find it rather pointless to listen to bad concerts, life's too short. And unless you have the time of searching through piles of mp3 files produced by groups with very original names (which I don't have, the time, I mean)it's a never-ending task....How do you tell which ones are worth it???How do you manage? Do you live in a city where it is all happening around you???

Yes, School of Rock has the same soul-lifting effect on me.
And I really wish my daughter had inspirational teachers like Jack's character! By the way, I found the "chart" with which he explains the relationship between all the different music genres fascinating, I paused it to study it more closely....

As to Neil Young: I haven't really followed what he has been up to in recent years, didn't even realise he does charity work. Bought his last CD and thought it wasn't very good (perhaps I was expecting another "Harvest" ?), but if you say I should try and listen to it another couple of times, then I will give it another chance....

And as to Bob Dylan, well, his middle name ought to be Inconsistent!
In the 80s I followed him around in the summers while hitch hiking through Europe,sleeping on friend's couches and in tents in people's gardens, and I absolutely loved him. Then I caught him in Madrid at a really bad and impersonal show end 80's, on a "primadonna" night and swore never to see him again. Then in Sheffield a few years ago (I think Gazza referred to this period as his "Name That Tune" Tour)-it actually made me laugh, I couldn't identify a single melody, although I was reeling the lyrics off in my head....
BUT I went to see him again this time around, with my hubby in Sheffield and with Gazza at Wembley arena in London a few months back, and he was truly AWEsome (in the unbanalised sense of the word!). He even danced a little jig that really made me smile(it's still on Gazza's signature , I believe). He is a fucking genius,I've decided, so I shall forgive him the occasional PMT from now on....And yes, how annoying that everything comes to him so naturally....But you must try and catch him this time around, he is truly loving it, he must be in a very good mental state,at a good place in his life, you can tell he is really happy (I bet he is getting laid BIG time by some really sweet girl, but he hasn't confirmed it!) Anyway, do try and catch him, you won't regret it, I promise...
But going back to "integrity": perhaps in the case of Bob Dylan all he needs to do is find really good session musicians and go and tour. (And they are gob-smackingly wonderful session musicians, the interaction between them is amazing, they are having a ball!)If you are on your own it is perhaps easier not to lose sight of your music, your principles, and of the reason why you are doing this...Perhaps with the Stones it's one of those scenarios where if there's four of you and you have a manager and umpteen financial advisers and you have turned into a corporation encompassing many different companies,then perhaps the music becomes almost irrelevant after a while. It's like one of those big companies like Greenpeace for example, I am sure that it started out with the right spirit and it's heart in the right spot, but the spirit is lost along the way, so you stage Canadian lumberjacks clubbing seals for your newest campaign "soundbyte" in front of staged cameras, as you need to get in the funds to keep the ball rolling.....don't know, but personally, I think that in the Stones it's pure and simple greed! And somehow I don't think Dylan would do this. I know he did the advert thing, but I think he's just curious about new experiences and the pretty girls with the pretty busts were flattering, I don't think he would sink as low as playing to a bank's board of directors, I don't think he is greedy at all...

As to "he who has the biggest pile wins"-you are perfectlyright!
Having "principles" or "moral integrity" is a privilege for those people who are fortunate enough to have satiated their basic needs. If you have a roof over your head, clean water to drink and food to fill your belly, if you can feed and clothe your children and your wife every day and keep your head up high, then you can start to think "I wouldn't do this or that even if someone offered me X amount of money". Some starving refugee in a camp in Darfur probably has no principles at all. But the Stones have moved up so far up the scala of wealth, that to me it is by now truly unimaginable how they must live on a day to day basis. Yes, it is a crying shame that they chose to spend their 45th "birthday" not with us, the people who put them where they are today, but with a small room full of influential money pushers. That says it all, I guess...
19th July 2007 01:24 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jostorm wrote:

I don't really know about where they play in the US, but the last White Stripes "world tour" seemed to take place in rather unusual and mainly smallish and more intimate venues, or am I mistaken???

I probably saw them about five or six times in their "formative" years, the last being in '02. It was always a lot of fun. Meg and I have drank from the same Jack Daniels bottle more than once. Haven't seen them in a long time and it would probably be fun to check them out in their current incarnation. Part of the problem is I'm 3 hours away from any place they've played in years. Driving three hours to see anybody is a huge planning experience for a busy guy like me, moreso for somebody I've seen several times. But I think they play pretty reasonable size places still and any band willing to do a one second show is holding onto its sense of the ridiculous.

quote:

I'm too young to ever have seen the Stones in the pubs they started playing, but I "accidentally" caught Ron Wood and Bo Didley when I was living in Madrid in 1987 (?). There were big black posters with enormous magenta letters plastered all over Madrid walls, announcing it for weeks beforehand, but obviously ( and to my utter delight!) no one knew who the fuck they were... So I ended up in this beautiful old club with wooden floor, wooden stage at shoulder height with about 150 to 200 people,with the most pristine acoustic, in front of Bo, dancing (and a radius of two metres free around me!)Definitely one of THE best 5 gigs of my life, with Bo immitating my dancing and laughing and simply reaching out and handing me his plectrum at the end of the show, it was magical, I could have touched both their ankles if I had wanted to....

That sounds awesome. I haven't seen Bo Diddley perform for years! I once had a beer with him in Albuquerque when I was there on vacation. I walked into this bar because it looked awesomely 50s, and there at the bar was the Diddley Daddy himself. I walked up to him and was all like, "Mr. McDaniel? You're awesome! Can I buy you a beer?" He looked at me like I was a really silly white boy for calling him 'Mr. McDaniel', but we had a nice conversation about green chiles.

quote:

During the Licks tour I caught the Stones in 3 small clubs, which is perhaps why it is such a let-down this time around, also to know they will do it for the money but not for us fans,it's difficult not to perceive it as pure disdain, I think that deep down we all feel the same about it, really....

To a certain extent I see the board going through a grieving process right now, and several are passing the 'denial' stage. So to speak.

I saw them play at the Tower in Philly in '02 and I had a great great time - saw that whole trifecta that weekend and that was pretty much me making peace w/the Stones live. They were great, and I had a blast, but I declared that 'the end'. And w/the exception of that show where the White Stripes opened (a matter of opportunity and circumstances) I have stuck by that. It really is a matter of I just can't really sleep at night spending x00 dollars on a night out. Too much of a percentage of my income, too many things I have not done. Matter of priorities. Mine are mine own and I don't blame anyone for having different ones.

quote:

And unless you have the time of searching through piles of mp3 files produced by groups with very original names (which I don't have, the time, I mean)it's a never-ending task....How do you tell which ones are worth it???How do you manage? Do you live in a city where it is all happening around you???

For over 15 years I owned an independent record store that specialized in exactly the sorts of bands that took the sound of the Rolling Stones, cross pollinated it with punk, and made righteous rock and roll noise. For many of those years I would actually bring bands to town, recommend bands to venues, etc. For decades the first thing I would do in any city I went to would be to scope out the record stores and find out what was going on with the city and what records the owners or clerks were digging. My wife is a performer - actually toured about four shows w/the White Stripes and Greenhornes back in '01. I dabble in the written word and have done the odd interview here and there. I still DJ at a local radio station and make the bulk of my living dealing used and collectible vinyl via the internet and contacts I made in my shop, but have happily moved onto other things - more writing, more performance, more freedom. You can tell I am chained to my computer and am supposed to be working, but don't feel like 'listing', when I am posting on Rocks Off. All of these avenues make me privy to aspects of the rock 'n' roll underground, via radio station promos, catalogs and emails I still get from record distros/labels, from my buddies in the 'biz' who toss me a random band when they feel it's up my alley, and my buddies on p2p are mailing me 'things' all the time. So I keep in touch. I live in Asheville, NC, and it's pretty isolated, but has a good reputation and we still get bands fairly often. But I'm nowhere near as hip as I used to be, nor do I want to be - to tell you the truth I am happiest digging up forgotten sounds from the past rather than cutting edge bands of today. It comes and it goes and I no longer feel the need to ride that horse constantly. I find that so far I have no trouble getting back up on it when I am in the mood.

quote:

But going back to "integrity": perhaps in the case of Bob Dylan all he needs to do is find really good session musicians and go and tour. (And they are gob-smackingly wonderful session musicians, the interaction between them is amazing, they are having a ball!)If you are on your own it is perhaps easier not to lose sight of your music, your principles, and of the reason why you are doing this... And somehow I don't think Dylan would do this. I know he did the advert thing, but I think he's just curious about new experiences and the pretty girls with the pretty busts were flattering, I don't think he would sink as low as playing to a bank's board of directors, I don't think he is greedy at all...

Well, honestly I have never known Bob Dylan to sneer at a dollar. And didn't he play some corporate show in Hawaii a few years ago? Don't quote me on that, but it seems like I remember something about it.

Anyway, I think that I'm once again in that stage where I haven't had circumstances to see him, and I sort of hit my "peak" w/him, too. I was a soldier from 1990 - 2002, going to see him at least once a year, sometimes great shows, sometimes terrible, crappy ones. I got to sneak down in the orchestra pit for one particularly fabulous show in St. Louis in '96 and actually got to shake his hand at the end. Soft like a baby's bottom. My wife and my first date was to a show in Kansas City. The last time I saw him was at the Orange Peel in '02, with our dear Martha in attendance. That was a 'club show', about a 700/800 capacity venue, and it was terrific. I can't justify going back to the barns to see him, because I hate the sound, and haven't had the opportunity to go to a theater show since. Perhaps one of these days. I would not rule it out. I would definitely go if I were 100% guaranteed he would play 'Nettie Moore'.
I agree he sounds better adjusted in interviews and on his radio show than I ever would have imagined he could be.

quote:

But the Stones have moved up so far up the scala of wealth, that to me it is by now truly unimaginable how they must live on a day to day basis. Yes, it is a crying shame that they chose to spend their 45th "birthday" not with us, the people who put them where they are today, but with a small room full of influential money pushers. That says it all, I guess...

Birthday parties often mean much more to those that throw them than them whose birthdays it is, I guess. But how can 40+ years of people telling you you are literally the greatest ANYTHING not turn your head into a huge puddle of mushy self regard?
20th July 2007 06:32 AM
jostorm
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I probably saw them about five or six times in their "formative" years, the last being in '02. It was always a lot of fun. Meg and I have drank from the same Jack Daniels bottle more than once. Haven't seen them in a long time and it would probably be fun to check them out in their current incarnation. Part of the problem is I'm 3 hours away from any place they've played in years. Driving three hours to see anybody is a huge planning experience for a busy guy like me, moreso for somebody I've seen several times. But I think they play pretty reasonable size places still and any band willing to do a one second show is holding onto its sense of the ridiculous.

Wow, what a privilege! And yes, their sense of the ridiculous is still very alive and kicking, may it remain like that forever, and may the genius of Jack never be polluted by the big buck ....

quote:

That sounds awesome. I haven't seen Bo Diddley perform for years! I once had a beer with him in Albuquerque when I was there on vacation. I walked into this bar because it looked awesomely 50s, and there at the bar was the Diddley Daddy himself. I walked up to him and was all like, "Mr. McDaniel? You're awesome! Can I buy you a beer?" He looked at me like I was a really silly white boy for calling him 'Mr. McDaniel', but we had a nice conversation about green chiles.

Green chiles? Amazing!!! Wish I had the balls to ever approach anyone I would like to say to that I find them great.Mind you, not that that happens often in the three pubs in my 3-sheep-village...I have to admit that , personally, and I am NOT being judgemental here, I have always had a problem with going up to famous pweople when they are having their "private time". It makes me cringe too much, I feel like a stalker or a paparazzo, it is not something I'd ever do! But having a beer with Mr D sounds awesome, PLUS, if music is your job it is a different story altogether... But pictures of f.e. the Stones being snapped as they get back into their cars leaving their hotels just make me feel extremely embarassed by proxy, if you catch my drift....I was once at Gatwick Airport with my husband, catching a small plane to the Isle of Jersey while reading Bill Wyman's newly published biography. About 7 months pregnant at the time and on my umptieth trip to the toilet in an hour to empty my bladder , when I suddenly see all the Stones with wives and kids in tow at the next gate,totally by themselves, no other "civilians", catching a plane to Ireland.There was no one else around me and I thought about going over for exactly five seconds, but simply couldn't!

quote:

To a certain extent I see the board going through a grieving process right now, and several are passing the 'denial' stage. So to speak.

Absolutely! And wait till the tour ends and touring life as we knew it really comes to an end, there will be droves of fans requiring serious counselling...

quote:

I saw them play at the Tower in Philly in '02 and I had a great great time - saw that whole trifecta that weekend and that was pretty much me making peace w/the Stones live. They were great, and I had a blast, but I declared that 'the end'. And w/the exception of that show where the White Stripes opened (a matter of opportunity and circumstances) I have stuck by that. It really is a matter of I just can't really sleep at night spending x00 dollars on a night out. Too much of a percentage of my income, too many things I have not done. Matter of priorities. Mine are mine own and I don't blame anyone for having different ones.

I have a great deal of respect for this stance, and, absolutely, everyone has to decide this one themselves....

quote:

For over 15 years I owned an independent record store that specialized in exactly the sorts of bands that took the sound of the Rolling Stones, cross pollinated it with punk, and made righteous rock and roll noise. For many of those years I would actually bring bands to town, recommend bands to venues, etc. For decades the first thing I would do in any city I went to would be to scope out the record stores and find out what was going on with the city and what records the owners or clerks were digging.

Aaah, so that's why...Sounds like a great way to make a living...
I'm pretty ignorant on the whole when it comes to music, really.It's a bit like art, I other love it at first sight, or not.And unless I happen to listen to something played by some DJ on some station that actually really tickles me, I probably am oblivious of its existence....Anything I should have listened to in the last ten years??? (maybe just five at the top of your list???)

[quote}
My wife is a performer - actually toured about four shows w/the White Stripes and Greenhornes back in '01. I dabble in the written word and have done the odd interview here and there. I still DJ at a local radio station and make the bulk of my living dealing used and collectible vinyl via the internet and contacts I made in my shop, but have happily moved onto other things - more writing, more performance, more freedom. You can tell I am chained to my computer and am supposed to be working, but don't feel like 'listing', when I am posting on Rocks Off. All of these avenues make me privy to aspects of the rock 'n' roll underground, via radio station promos, catalogs and emails I still get from record distros/labels, from my buddies in the 'biz' who toss me a random band when they feel it's up my alley, and my buddies on p2p are mailing me 'things' all the time. So I keep in touch. I live in Asheville, NC, and it's pretty isolated, but has a good reputation and we still get bands fairly often. But I'm nowhere near as hip as I used to be, nor do I want to be - to tell you the truth I am happiest digging up forgotten sounds from the past rather than cutting edge bands of today. It comes and it goes and I no longer feel the need to ride that horse constantly. I find that so far I have no trouble getting back up on it when I am in the mood.
[/quote]

Shame that Oxenhope and Asheville are so remote from one another, you both sound like the sort of people I'd love to cook for one Sunday afternoon and chat with until the sheep come home.....oh well....What sort of performing does your wife do??? (lucky her!) And what do you write? Poetry? Fiction? Or things related to music...

quote:

Well, honestly I have never known Bob Dylan to sneer at a dollar. And didn't he play some corporate show in Hawaii a few years ago? Don't quote me on that, but it seems like I remember something about it.
{/quote]

I think you're right....

[quote]
Anyway, I think that I'm once again in that stage where I haven't had circumstances to see him, and I sort of hit my "peak" w/him, too. I was a soldier from 1990 - 2002, going to see him at least once a year, sometimes great shows, sometimes terrible, crappy ones. I got to sneak down in the orchestra pit for one particularly fabulous show in St. Louis in '96 and actually got to shake his hand at the end. Soft like a baby's bottom. My wife and my first date was to a show in Kansas City. The last time I saw him was at the Orange Peel in '02, with our dear Martha in attendance. That was a 'club show', about a 700/800 capacity venue, and it was terrific. I can't justify going back to the barns to see him, because I hate the sound, and haven't had the opportunity to go to a theater show since. Perhaps one of these days. I would not rule it out. I would definitely go if I were 100% guaranteed he would play 'Nettie Moore'.

Funny, I always wondered what his hands feel like....have you washed them ever since??? And yes, he did Nettie Moore at both, and it really made the hairs on my neck stand up...I know how very shitty he can be when he's being shitty, but he's at a good place right now, if you get the chance then make the effort...and say "hi!" to Martha from me...

Is it me, or have we totally highjacked this thread???
That'll teach the bastards!
It's been an absolute pleasure talking to you, and now I have to face my Friday from hell, I have two swans that need a wing each amputating and umpteen emergencies to deal with.
Take good care and have a nice weekend. No doubt we shall chat again....

Jo

PS:
quote:

Birthday parties often mean much more to those that throw them than them whose birthdays it is, I guess. But how can 40+ years of people telling you you are literally the greatest ANYTHING not turn your head into a huge puddle of mushy self regard?

Abso-bloody-lutely!
jostorm .
[Edited by jostorm]
jostorm ...
[Edited by jostorm]
20th July 2007 02:03 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat .....
20th July 2007 04:40 PM
jostorm ok, StrangeStrayCat, you made me laugh...

There is an explanation for this. I was at work and a bit impatient,I clicked "post", nothing happened and I clicked it a few more times. It got posted 3 times (duh!)and I tried to delete, but it won't let you post a blank field, hence the full stops...

Besides being a natural joker you're obviously the born mathematician as well....
20th July 2007 04:45 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
jostorm wrote:
ok, StrangeStrayCat, you made me laugh...

There is an explanation for this. I was at work and a bit impatient,I clicked "post", nothing happened and I clicked it a few more times. It got posted 3 times (duh!)and I tried to delete, but it won't let you post a blank field, hence the full stops...

Besides being a natural joker you're obviously the born mathematician as well....

Thank you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)