ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sala Oval, Museu National d'Art de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain 12th July 2007 ( Deutsche Bank Privat Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
15th July 2007 09:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
In case you haven't read it, here's the review from IORR, put it in your pipe and smoke it, there seem to have been plenty of Rolling Stones fans there, go figure!

See page 3 of this same thread, Jo. Tony's obviously trying to convince himself of this as well as others. His crap about fans getting tickets through 'networking' is bullshit. The tickets werent distributed in any way whatsover which reflected whether the recipient was a fan or not. I know that for a fact. There's so much bullshit in that review its coming out of his ears.

as open-g revealed, the gig obviously meant so much to Tony that he he was hawking his wristband and setlist on e-bay within hours of it finishing.

In this case the bankers ARE wankers.
15th July 2007 09:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Why is this thread not sticky?

because it was started as a joke, it wasnt a tour gig, no fans were there to report on it or post setlist updates, no photos and also it didnt help that there were about three or four different threads about it at the same time.

But I'll sticky it if you want. It's also been renamed, and the first post edited to show the setlist and venue as usual.

[Edited by Gazza]
15th July 2007 10:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
The Stones sold out eons ago, that doesn't piss me off anymore, I mean, let's face it, Mick lived on a whole floor of Claridges for years, for fucks sake, these people (thanks to us) live on a different planet from us, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that they promised us clubshows and broke the promise but play them when enough dough is offered by a bank, that offends me...

Yep. That's it.
15th July 2007 10:03 AM
gorda I still can´t get over the fact, that I was sleeping in the same town in which the Stones were performing and I was not there to see it!

. . . sigh . . . Oh well.
15th July 2007 10:57 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

What was Sweet Neocon?...That was Mick Jagger forcing himself to write a song about the Iraq war to help sell songs...and that's precisely why it sucked so bad and precisely why I went on record when the song was being talked about, but not released, and stated publically that it would suck balls...it had to suck balls...it wasn't coming from the heart...I don't know that that makes it contradicotry as it relates to playing a party for a bank...unless the bank is financing the war...but it was fake and forced...I'll give you that

Only in the sense that one of the principal objections around RO to this song in its prerelease press junket stages was that it was a bad investment strategy that could jeopardize the bottom line, which is banker thinkin'. As I recall my own public stance to that song around the time was that I was confident that it would suck, that of course it was fake, that it was a total non-factor in what the tour would be about, but that I was glad and amused that it was galling someone else for a change. I am sure we squared off along predictable lines.

quote:

You know it's funny...watching in the abstract, clips of shows I wasn't at, I say the same thing...it's gone..over...but I went to numerous shows this tour and was not once disappointed...I can't explain that...but that's how it was

No explanation necessary. Of course you weren't. If I had gone to a show in '06 I am positive I would have no complaints either. I would never deny that anyone in the venue didn't get rocked, and if that was worth the $$$ to them, then party on, rocksoffer. My life just never allowed for it - I was always missing them by a day or a dollar for whatever reason, but I didn't try too hard to make it happen. This was never an ethical decision for me, it was an aesthetic and cost-analysis one. I don't like to go to shows in 1000 capacity rooms, let alone arenas or stadiums, and any show that's more than $15 is, for me, debatable in the payout/payback scheme of things, so obviously the Stones fall WAAAAAY outside the bell curve of reasonable justification.

But live shows, especially by a band specializing in audience energy interaction, are notoriously hard to capture on tape. This is why I've never had an "ethical" issue with overdubs on live records, if done properly, like Ya-Ya's. It's when they're aesthetically distracting when it becomes an issue. The fact that Stones shows were interesting to listen to and rocked so consistently to someone who wasn't even there is testimony to their utter brilliance. But if I can still put on the first half of a '97 show and say wow and I can't do that for an '06 show than my own aesthetic sensibilities come to the inevitable conclusion that something in the entire pie isn't cooked all the way through.

15th July 2007 04:45 PM
Bloozehound all kidding aside I truly have a hard time believing some of you still think the Stones are all about The Art and not just entertainment at this point in their career, and I'm not trying to put them down, they're still some of the best entertainers around, but it's become too apparent, a good analogy is to say these are their Vegas days

This Deutsche Bank gig was nothing more than another gig for them to entertain people at because...

*** spoiler warning***

that's what they do for a living

I can safely bet most anyone here would of given their left nut to get in on that gig had they be given the opportunity
15th July 2007 05:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
all kidding aside I truly have a hard time believing some of you still think the Stones are all about The Art and not just entertainment at this point in their career, and I'm not trying to put them down, they're still some of the best entertainers around, but it's become too apparent, a good analogy is to say these are their Vegas days

This Deutsche Bank gig was nothing more than another gig for them to entertain people at because...

*** spoiler warning***

that's what they do for a living

I can safely bet most anyone here would of given their left nut to get in on that gig had they be given the opportunity

Unfortunatley the Stones are no longer "nutworthy"...I would have opened a new bank account though and traded in my free toaster!
15th July 2007 06:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
all kidding aside I truly have a hard time believing some of you still think the Stones are all about The Art and not just entertainment at this point in their career

Its not a case of 'thinking' it. Anyone with two brain cells knows thats not the case. More a case of wanting them at this stage in their career to still have a bit of pride, or some passion or creativity about them, instead of taking the easy option every time. Other acts of a similar vintage seem to be able to manage it. The Stones don't really care. THAT is the problem. Jagger protested for years that they would never be a nostalgia act and how important it was to keep creating. Now, that's exactly what they've become - and being someone's after dinner cabaret (which is basically what this gig was) really should be beneath them.

If you and others are happy with them reducing themselves to cabaret fodder, good for you. Some of us have higher standards and expectations

quote:

Of course we would have, but er...the point is that none of us are given the opportunity to do so....

[Edited by Gazza]
15th July 2007 09:06 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Gazza wrote:

If you and others are happy with them reducing themselves to cabaret fodder, good for you. Some of us have higher standards and expectations

right right I'm with ya now, like writing and selling shitty power ballads to a daytime soap opera type high standards and expectations

come on Gazza, your as cynical as anyone about the Stones business practices, you're really that shocked and appalled by all this

I saw it coming a mile away, hang out with Timberlake, accept a knighthood, phone in your bands first studio album in 8 years, do a superbowl half time show, make a disney movie, never ending - highest grossing world tour, play a private Banker gig (hell even JLo's getting a cool 2 mil for 40 min private gigs and you know how Jagger is about keeping up with the hipster Hollywood crowd)

It's all relative, it's time has come, it's not 1971 in a dingy château basement in France anymore, nothing's shocking

weddings, funerals, bar mitzvah, birthday partys, private gigs call 1 800 StonesInc for more details of how to book the world's greediest rock n roll band for your function today

[Edited by Bloozehound]
16th July 2007 04:21 AM
Stray Cat UK Ouch !...but true.

sc uk
16th July 2007 07:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

right right I'm with ya now, like writing and selling shitty power ballads to a daytime soap opera type high standards and expectations

come on Gazza, your as cynical as anyone about the Stones business practices, you're really that shocked and appalled by all this

I saw it coming a mile away, hang out with Timberlake, accept a knighthood, phone in your bands first studio album in 8 years, do a superbowl half time show, make a disney movie, never ending - highest grossing world tour, play a private Banker gig (hell even JLo's getting a cool 2 mil for 40 min private gigs and you know how Jagger is about keeping up with the hipster Hollywood crowd)

It's all relative, it's time has come, it's not 1971 in a dingy château basement in France anymore, nothing's shocking

weddings, funerals, bar mitzvah, birthday partys, private gigs call 1 800 StonesInc for more details of how to book the world's greediest rock n roll band for your function today

I'm not "shocked" by it at all, nor am I any more "appalled" by it than I was by several other lame and cynical money grabs and business moves over the last few years. Where did I suggest this is something unprecedented that I didnt see coming? The decline in standards has been there for some time and this is just another step down the slippery slope. I'm simply calling it as shitty now just as I did then. Just because I choose not to let it pass without comment doesnt mean something's suddenly dawned on me that the Stones give less than a flying fuck about their credibility and legacy anymore.
16th July 2007 07:46 AM
Stray Cat UK For me it all started with the "tax exile" prosponed UK tour in 98. I've never completely got over it.

I don't try to defend them on the "money grabbing" front anymore,but just enjoy the music and accept that their status as off - shore tax payers appalls me.

The legacy has been trampled on for years now.

sc uk
16th July 2007 09:58 AM
Tom Some clips by itmakesyouhappy

16th July 2007 10:16 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
bootcover wrote:
Don't know if this is allready posted, but here you can see I'll Go Crazy from the private gig: http://www.lavanguardia.es/premium/publica/publica?COMPID=53375375573&ID_PAGINA=51311350828&ID_FORMATO=9&PAGINACIO=1&SUBORDRE=3

Listen to that crowd during Lisa's solo. Damn Corporate Kraut's know how to rock!

16th July 2007 01:55 PM
jostorm
quote:
Gazza wrote:

See page 3 of this same thread, Jo. Tony's obviously trying to convince himself of this as well as others. His crap about fans getting tickets through 'networking' is bullshit. The tickets werent distributed in any way whatsover which reflected whether the recipient was a fan or not. I know that for a fact. There's so much bullshit in that review its coming out of his ears.

as open-g revealed, the gig obviously meant so much to Tony that he he was hawking his wristband and setlist on e-bay within hours of it finishing.

In this case the bankers ARE wankers.

Hiya, Sweetie!
Ok, this bit I didn't know...You mean this Tony was trying to sell the setlist and his wristband to memorabilia collectors on ebay??? Ugh, what a tosser, I'll grant you that...

But: who is a "fan",and who isn't, and how many types of "fan" are there???
The point I was trying to make is that
1) I have (and always have had a problem) with someone stating that there is some sort of "fan-hierarchy", i.e. if I have x boots, remember how many songs I've seen live (I can hardly recall what I had for breakfast today), always wear a RS tee to the gigs and write down setlists then I'm a better fan than XYZ.....
I have spent years reading statements that go along the lines of "I'm a much more worthy fan than you, because...", it's an ongoing pissing contest in which I have never taken part. The fact of the matter is that USUALLY you either change the World before you are 30 or so, OR the World changes you into a more or less materialistic beast. Although I am sure most of the people in that hall in Barcelona are "rolling in it",it goes with the job,but who is to say they aren't "fans"????? Does being a banker preclude you from really loving their music any more than being a chiropractor,a dentist, a shopgirl or a factory worker???? We are talking about "taste" here, not about "means"...
And 2) To still see Rock'n Roll bands 40 years later as having anything to do with anti-establishmentarianism AT ALL is fairly naive. The bands who don't make it, perhaps, but the ones who do???? Sorry Nasty Habits, you are very very eloquent, intelligent and articulate, but in my book you are also a tad naive in your expectations, or perhaps you are young and I am old and jaded ....
Individuals like Patty Smith f.e. may still take political issues to heart and fight causes, I suppose Bono does (although he's a tosser in my book, too!)and I'm sure some people in the music world have integrity,an over-developed sense4 of social justice and the energy to voice things that would be overheard were they not famous.But the Stones??? Gimme a break!... after having slept on pure linen for yonks in the Claridge's and running up a bill over several million £, I doubt Sir Mick gives a fuck about politics or the "fairness" in who gets to see him in a small place and who doesn't....I doubt his horizon stretches much further than his own social climbing, the hardness of his dick and the coins in his many offshore accounts. Ok, and he's great with all his children, I'll grant him that....but you know what I mean...
And, quite honestly, if Steve Earle had made a shitload of money by now, perhaps he would also have sold out, who is to know???? ( and at least he would shut the fuck up during his concerts and sing, which would be a refreshing change....)
To sum it up: we have no right to call the bankers wankers, we may be hurt by the whole thing, but the real wankers are the Stones,for breaking their promises, end of story.

As to sentiments from an old fan:
Something "broke" in me last year,they behaved really "shoddy", and I decided not to be a doormat anymore. If it wasn't for having the opportunity of hanging out with my nephew in Madrid and meeting up with you and GTRM I would have skipped that one. The IOW I did for my daughter, it was done and dusted regardless of the RS. And O2-1 is to hang out with you and meet with the great PartyDollMegOfTheLostSuitcases...
But to buy tickets and flights and hotels for over 13 gigs like I still did at the Licks tour and to cross the Atlantic to see them at MSG????? Fuck that for a game of soldiers! I could easily afford it, but I chose not to. Everyone has to make that decision themselves.
I haven't really forgiven the way they treated us last Summer when the European leg got fucked up,and I doubt I ever will. I had a blast at the two concerts I've seen, and I don't regret for a second going. They still reside firmly in my heart somewhere, how couldn't they? after all these years? But to totally re-arrange my life around the tour like I used to???? Not a chance.
To borrow the lyrics: "Because I used to love them, but it's all over now!"

16th July 2007 02:03 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jostorm wrote:

Hiya, Sweetie!
Ok, this bit I didn't know...You mean this Tony was trying to sell the setlist and his wristband to memorabilia collectors on ebay??? Ugh, what a tosser, I'll grant you that...

But: who is a "fan",and who isn't, and how many types of "fan" are there???
1) I have (and always have had a problem) with someone stating that there is some sort of "fan-hierarchy", i.e. if I have x boots, remember how many songs I've seen live (I can hardly recall what I had for breakfast today), always wear a RS tee to the gigs and write down setlists then I'm a better fan than XYZ.....
I have spent years reading statements that go along the lines of "I'm a much more worthy fan than you, because...", it's an ongoing pissing contest in which I have never taken part. The fact of the matter is that USUALLY you either change the World before you are 30 or so, OR the World changes you into a more or less materialistic beast. Although I am sure most of the people in that hall in Barcelona are "rolling in it",it goes with the job,but who is to say they aren't "fans"????? Does being a banker preclude you from really loving their music any more than being a chiropractor,a dentist, a shopgirl or a factory worker???? We are talking about "taste" here, not about "means"...
And 2) To still see Rock'n Roll bands 40 years later as having anything to do with anti-establishmentarianism AT ALL is fairly naive. The bands who don't make it, perhaps, but the ones who do???? Sorry Nasty Habits, you are very very eloquent, intelligent and articulate, but in my book you are also a tad naive in your expectations, or perhaps you are young and I am old and jaded ....
Individuals like Patty Smith f.e. may still take political issues to heart and fight causes, I suppose Bono does (although he's a tosser in my book, too!)and I'm sure some people in the music world have integrity,an over-developed sense4 of social justice and the energy to voice things that would be overheard were they not famous.But the Stones??? Gimme a break!... after having slept on pure linen for yonks in the Claridge's and running up a bill over several million £, I doubt Sir Mick gives a fuck about politics or the "fairness" in who gets to see him in a small place and who doesn't....I doubt his horizon stretches much further than his own social climbing, the hardness of his dick and the coins in his many offshore accounts. Ok, and he's great with all his children, I'll grant him that....but you know what I mean...
And, quite honestly, if Steve Earle had made a shitload of money by now, perhaps he would also have sold out, who is to know???? ( and at least he would shut the fuck up during his concerts and sing, which would be a refreshing change....)
To sum it up: we have no right to call the bankers wankers, we may be hurt by the whole thing, but the real wankers are the Stones,for breaking their promises, end of story.

As to sentiments from an old fan:
Something "broke" in me last year,they behaved really "shoddy", and I decided not to be a doormat anymore. If it wasn't for having the opportunity of hanging out with my nephew in Madrid and meeting up with you and GTRM I would have skipped that one. The IOW I did for my daughter, it was done and dusted regardless of the RS. And O2-1 is to hang out with you and meet with the great PartyDollMegOfTheLostSuitcases...
But to buy tickets and flights and hotels for over 13 gigs like I still did at the Licks tour and to cross the Atlantic to see them at MSG????? Fuck that for a game of soldiers! I could easily afford it, but I chose not to. Everyone has to make that decision themselves.
I haven't really forgiven the way they treated us last Summer when the European leg got fucked up,and I doubt I ever will. I had a blast at the two concerts I've seen, and I don't regret for a second going. They still reside firmly in my heart somewhere, how couldn't they? after all these years? But to totally re-arrange my life around the tour like I used to???? Not a chance.
To borrow the lyrics: "Because I used to love them, but it's all over now!"

come on, get over it, they still rock
16th July 2007 02:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I have spent years reading statements that go along the lines of "I'm a much more worthy fan than you, because...", it's an ongoing pissing contest in which I have never taken part.

If that's directed at me, I've never for a second proclaimed myself to be a better fan than anyone else because I have seen the band more times or collect more shows. What I choose to do with my disposable income has no relation on how 'super' a fan I am. I couldnt give a fuck about that. There are plenty of people on here and elsewhere who are bigger Stones fans than I am and who have never even seen the band and who dont 'collect' stuff, and may have perfectly valid reasons for doing both.

quote:
Although I am sure most of the people in that hall in Barcelona are "rolling in it",it goes with the job,but who is to say they aren't "fans"????? Does being a banker preclude you from really loving their music any more than being a chiropractor,a dentist, a shopgirl or a factory worker???? We are talking about "taste" here, not about "means"...

The selection process for who got tickets for this show was, so I've been advised, most definitely more a case of 'company status' than 'taste', so whilst its certainly feasible that some of the people at the show were Stones fans to varying degrees, the likelihood is that more were there for somethin akin to a junket than anything else. It's not the same as going to a concert where making a financial decision to part with the cost of a ticket would indicate that you're likely to be a fan of some description.

I certainly dont have any problem with the people who got into the show. Nice work, if you can get it, I say.

[Edited by Gazza]
16th July 2007 02:42 PM
jostorm Don't be so touchy, it's not directed at you, or anyone else for that matter, it's just a general comment. As I also re-phrased it:the tag "fan" is about the musical taste , not the means you have at your disposal...

I just don't see why most here call the bankers wankers, when it is the Stones who clearly act like cheap whores. Whether it is Deutsche Bank footing the bill or the Irish Association of Podiatrists , Subdivision Ingrown Toenails is irrelevant....

But: Is Tony Little his real name, or is it a nickname to do with the size of his dinda?????
16th July 2007 02:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I just don't see why most here call the bankers wankers,

because it makes for a nice rhyme and because the Stones said they are in a song.....
16th July 2007 02:53 PM
jostorm Alright, then.....

PS: Fuck you, Gazza, will ya?

which reminds me: what on Earth happened to Jair???
OD'ed??? Girlfriend found him two-timing??? Husband of wife he shagged discovered him in wardrobe???
16th July 2007 03:00 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

because it makes for a nice rhyme and because the Stones said they are in a song.....

16th July 2007 04:36 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jostorm wrote:

May be that I am younger than you but definitely over 30, jos, and getting older all the time. As far as my expectations, I'm not sure I have any, but then again I might. I don't think I am an an idealist so much as I am something much worse - an aesthete.

I got into this thread because I found Fiji's question of who wouldn't do what the Stones do (inexact paraphrase, Feej - I know) intriguing, and I threw out a name. I stayed around to argue semantics for a while, based around a performer who hasn't put out a new record I loved for more than a decade. And while you can say that recent albums like "Living with War" were marketed towards antibush boomers who were the same outraged "let's gettum" tickets that bought "Let's Roll" around 9/11 you can also say that NY sincerely felt both things when he wrote them. And you can point out that Greendale, which was marketed to no one in particular, was weird and alienating and performed by a guy who didn't really seem to care whether people liked it or not. He is obviously doing this stuff for himself, his own sense of ego, and his faith in his creativity, right or wrong. And it is this belief where my true ideals lie, so while I don't like any of the records mentioned above, I respect the spirit they were created in. Wouldn't pay to go see him, though. Done it.

Of course, the Stones can't be so consistently inconsitent as Neil Young because their leader is such a laser focused and intelligently cutthroat mother of a man, and apparently their principal genius musician is too wasted to assert any musical control over the direction of and sound of the band, or maybe he has just given up, or doesn't care.

But here we come to another one of my big aeshete type objects with the behavior of the modern Stones. I didn't hate Bigger Bang like some did, in fact rather liked it at first, still do in parts, because I always like hearing the band play and hearing them interact with each other. I love them as musicians. Interacting with the musicians around you is what musicians do - it is hey, music. I do not hear them interacting on stage. I hear them hitting their parts and getting through the night, but not together. Nowadays, no doubt, as evinced by your wonderful Isle of Wight review, it is all about the exchange of energy between band and audience, and I've been there and I've seen that and it is great, but it ain't, to me, music.

And that "stick it to the man" stuff in the SS thread? Sardonic reference to "School of Rock". "Fuck you, I do what I want" is actually the rock 'n' roll stance I prefer.

It's possible that my relative youth is part of my problem - I have absorbed the Stones into my system over only half of the time it took them to play themselves out. By the time I got there, it was, for all intents and purposes artistically over. It is extremely difficult to reconcile the mythical monsters of the 60s and early 70s that roam my imagination with the corporate mongers of today - the continuum is too narrow. Perhaps were I a little older and my own experience of the band was stretched over another decade or so I would be less exacting and more in tune.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
17th July 2007 12:02 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Other video clip, thanks Marcelo @ http://rocksoff.org/foro

http://www.lavanguardia.es/premium/publica/publica?COMPID=53375375573&ID_PAGINA=51311350828&ID_FORMATO=9&PAGINACIO=1&SUBORDRE=3
17th July 2007 08:00 AM
Gazza Fascinating summary by Bjornulf of the evening's events now on the IORR review page (it appears that the opportunist uber-fan Tony Little's 'account' of it has disappeared)

The most intriguing part for me is that, contrary to the 'some of these folks WERE fans who had networked their way in' assertion, it appears that none of the guests were even aware who the 'cabaret' would be until the Stones hit the stage...

IORR Comments:

The Stones performed a private show in front of some 700 people connected to Deutche Bank tonight. It was a set of 14 songs, starting with "Start Me Up" and ending with "Satisfaction". Also they did songs such as "Ruby Tuesday" and "It's All Over Now". This was a private arrangement. You will not read anything about this show in the press. However, IORR was there, and this is the whole story...

Deutche Bank is having their meetings for top level management and selected VIP clients annual in Barcelona. The meetings are business oriented like a conference. Then like any other business conference there is a gala dinner, where everybody gather for a grand dinner. In the past Deutche Bank have been using Barcelona and the surrounding area several times, also the venue they used this time, the museum, and in the past they have had performers like Kylie Minogue.

The entertainment part of the dinner was kept secret. Nobody knew. And to be honest quite a few of the attendees cared as much for the business and the social part as for whoever would be performing. The conference was held at the Arts Hotel in Barcelona, and the attendees were told to gather in the lobby at 8pm for the arrangement, the dinner.

Buses trasported the guests the few km drive uphill to the Olympic Montjuice park, where the museum is, right below and in front of the Olympic Stadium, where the Stones performed just a few weeks ago. As they arrived posters was held on display saying "Dinner". No signs of Deutche Bank or "Stones". All of this was very private and secret indeed.

As they arrived, two security people were checking their silver guitar shaped wristbands telling they were allowed into this private arrangement, and then they walked the red carpet up for welcome drinks. The whole arrangement was decorated in black and discrete red. Black as sort of secret and discrete, red as sort of VIP.

The dinner was set for the Sala Oval of the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya - "MNAC". This is a large theatre with a floor and an upstars balcony style seating area that can take may be 500 people. Nobody ever used the seated area. The bank just used the floor of the hall, where 60-70 round tables seating 11 people each was all set for the gala dinner.

As the dinner was finishing close to 11pm, the guests were told to leave their seats, some tables were moved slightly away from the stage, black curtains were dropped to hide the tables, and this was now soon to become a rock show for some 700 bank people that were lucky to be connected the right way for this arrangement.

The lighting and show set up was very different for this show. With a historic and old building like this one you might think they would do it like the Brixton or Olympia theathre shows, but this was not so. It was more like a show with "Pet Shop Boys". Neon style lights, still very nicely and decorating, fitting in with the black style of the rest, also as many were still dressed a bit black business style, but as you can see from the pictures, some left the tie behind at the hotel.

The show started shortly before 11pm. The Stones performed for 1 hour 25 minutes. Keith planned to do "Happy" as his first song, but he changed last minute into "You Got The Silver".

Some 50 or so fans was outside the side doors, hoping that the bank people had mercy on them but with no luck. Half a dozed high heel Swedish models were allowed in thhrough the same back doors because they were "the gift from the Stones to the bank", as Mick said when they were introduced during the show.

The museum security people was the nicest people of the evening, as they opened one of the side doors so that the fans outside actually could hear what was performed. They also took mobile phones from the fans into the venue, and made brief recordings during "I'll Go Crazy", as you can see available on the net now.

Was it a great show? For sure. Any Stones show is great. But they missed the most important part. The fans. The show cost Deutche Bank four million Euro or so but it probably cost more in loss of goodwill, may be for the bank, may be for the Stones. Most fans don't like these kinds of private shows, as you can see from the IORR Tell Me reports about the Barcelona show and private shows in general.

[Edited by Gazza]
17th July 2007 09:55 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Fascinating summary by Bjornulf of the evening's events now on the IORR review page (it appears that the opportunist uber-fan Tony Little's 'account' of it has disappeared)

The most intriguing part for me is that, contrary to the 'some of these folks WERE fans who had networked their way in' assertion, it appears that none of the guests were even aware who the 'cabaret' would be until the Stones hit the stage...

IORR Comments:

The Stones performed a private show in front of some 700 people connected to Deutche Bank tonight. It was a set of 14 songs, starting with "Start Me Up" and ending with "Satisfaction". Also they did songs such as "Ruby Tuesday" and "It's All Over Now". This was a private arrangement. You will not read anything about this show in the press. However, IORR was there, and this is the whole story...

Deutche Bank is having their meetings for top level management and selected VIP clients annual in Barcelona. The meetings are business oriented like a conference. Then like any other business conference there is a gala dinner, where everybody gather for a grand dinner. In the past Deutche Bank have been using Barcelona and the surrounding area several times, also the venue they used this time, the museum, and in the past they have had performers like Kylie Minogue.

The entertainment part of the dinner was kept secret. Nobody knew. And to be honest quite a few of the attendees cared as much for the business and the social part as for whoever would be performing. The conference was held at the Arts Hotel in Barcelona, and the attendees were told to gather in the lobby at 8pm for the arrangement, the dinner.

Buses trasported the guests the few km drive uphill to the Olympic Montjuice park, where the museum is, right below and in front of the Olympic Stadium, where the Stones performed just a few weeks ago. As they arrived posters was held on display saying "Dinner". No signs of Deutche Bank or "Stones". All of this was very private and secret indeed.

As they arrived, two security people were checking their silver guitar shaped wristbands telling they were allowed into this private arrangement, and then they walked the red carpet up for welcome drinks. The whole arrangement was decorated in black and discrete red. Black as sort of secret and discrete, red as sort of VIP.

The dinner was set for the Sala Oval of the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya - "MNAC". This is a large theatre with a floor and an upstars balcony style seating area that can take may be 500 people. Nobody ever used the seated area. The bank just used the floor of the hall, where 60-70 round tables seating 11 people each was all set for the gala dinner.

As the dinner was finishing close to 11pm, the guests were told to leave their seats, some tables were moved slightly away from the stage, black curtains were dropped to hide the tables, and this was now soon to become a rock show for some 700 bank people that were lucky to be connected the right way for this arrangement.

The lighting and show set up was very different for this show. With a historic and old building like this one you might think they would do it like the Brixton or Olympia theathre shows, but this was not so. It was more like a show with "Pet Shop Boys". Neon style lights, still very nicely and decorating, fitting in with the black style of the rest, also as many were still dressed a bit black business style, but as you can see from the pictures, some left the tie behind at the hotel.

The show started shortly before 11pm. The Stones performed for 1 hour 25 minutes. Keith planned to do "Happy" as his first song, but he changed last minute into "You Got The Silver".

Some 50 or so fans was outside the side doors, hoping that the bank people had mercy on them but with no luck. Half a dozed high heel Swedish models were allowed in thhrough the same back doors because they were "the gift from the Stones to the bank", as Mick said when they were introduced during the show.

The museum security people was the nicest people of the evening, as they opened one of the side doors so that the fans outside actually could hear what was performed. They also took mobile phones from the fans into the venue, and made brief recordings during "I'll Go Crazy", as you can see available on the net now.

Was it a great show? For sure. Any Stones show is great. But they missed the most important part. The fans. The show cost Deutche Bank four million Euro or so but it probably cost more in loss of goodwill, may be for the bank, may be for the Stones. Most fans don't like these kinds of private shows, as you can see from the IORR Tell Me reports about the Barcelona show and private shows in general.

possibilities are endless it seems?

i'm gonna keep a low profile until the England gigs,good review though by IORR

[Edited by Gazza]

17th July 2007 02:29 PM
jostorm
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Fascinating summary by Bjornulf of the evening's events now on the IORR review page (it appears that the opportunist uber-fan Tony Little's 'account' of it has disappeared)

IORR Comments:

[Edited by Gazza]

Fascinating , indeed! Thanks, Gazza!

And: Well, fuck me!! Bjornulf Vik actually MENTIONS criticism of the Stones??? wow........whatever next??????...will he print in the next IORR issue that the Stones are greedy????...Is global warming getting at him? Did the dog get run over??? Has the price of norwegian reindeer steak gone through the roof???... I do hope he's ok, he is a very nice man....

Funny that, that it was such a "secret gig", so how come WE knew two weeks ago?? Ok, we knew cause you told us, Gazza...But can you IMAGINE, you're going out to a gala dinner with your workmates and suddenly the fucking Stones are playing??? I would get a frigging heart attack. I'm serious. It would be exactly like going into my cellar for a bottle of red wine, unlocking the closed door, and suddenly finding Jude Law smiling at me and saying "What took you so long? I've been waiting for ages....shall we go upstairs????"(if you're reading this, Jude: Andrew is back from the Seychelles Friday night, so hurry up!)

And the half dozen swedish models??? What's THAT all about??? Mick testing to see if Saville Row suitmakers allowed the bankers enough room for the erection of tents??? If we'd known that I could have let you have some old high heels and the blonde wig you refused to don at the Lucinda Williams, and we would both have been in, I've heard bankers can't count when blondes are concerned....

And more gossip, please: why was Tony Little Dinda's review melodramatically ripped down from the honourable pages of iorr.org???? aaahhh, how I love this place.....

And to think I banked with Deutsche Bank 1976 till 1986 and the bastards didn't even send me an invite....
17th July 2007 02:36 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jostorm wrote:

And the half dozen swedish models??? What's THAT all about??? Mick testing to see if Saville Row suitmakers allowed the bankers enough room for the erection of tents??? If we'd known that I could have let you have some old high heels and the blonde wig you refused to don at the Lucinda Williams, and we would both have been in, I've heard bankers can't count when blondes are concerned....

LMAO, Jo! Now there are a few mental images I'll have a hard time getting out of my head. Yikes!
17th July 2007 03:13 PM
jostorm
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

May be that I am younger than you but definitely over 30, jos, and getting older all the time. As far as my expectations, I'm not sure I have any, but then again I might. I don't think I am an an idealist so much as I am something much worse - an aesthete.

I got into this thread because I found Fiji's question of who wouldn't do what the Stones do (inexact paraphrase, Feej - I know) intriguing, and I threw out a name. I stayed around to argue semantics for a while, based around a performer who hasn't put out a new record I loved for more than a decade. And while you can say that recent albums like "Living with War" were marketed towards antibush boomers who were the same outraged "let's gettum" tickets that bought "Let's Roll" around 9/11 you can also say that NY sincerely felt both things when he wrote them. And you can point out that Greendale, which was marketed to no one in particular, was weird and alienating and performed by a guy who didn't really seem to care whether people liked it or not. He is obviously doing this stuff for himself, his own sense of ego, and his faith in his creativity, right or wrong. And it is this belief where my true ideals lie, so while I don't like any of the records mentioned above, I respect the spirit they were created in. Wouldn't pay to go see him, though. Done it.

Of course, the Stones can't be so consistently inconsitent as Neil Young because their leader is such a laser focused and intelligently cutthroat mother of a man, and apparently their principal genius musician is too wasted to assert any musical control over the direction of and sound of the band, or maybe he has just given up, or doesn't care.

But here we come to another one of my big aeshete type objects with the behavior of the modern Stones. I didn't hate Bigger Bang like some did, in fact rather liked it at first, still do in parts, because I always like hearing the band play and hearing them interact with each other. I love them as musicians. Interacting with the musicians around you is what musicians do - it is hey, music. I do not hear them interacting on stage. I hear them hitting their parts and getting through the night, but not together. Nowadays, no doubt, as evinced by your wonderful Isle of Wight review, it is all about the exchange of energy between band and audience, and I've been there and I've seen that and it is great, but it ain't, to me, music.

And that "stick it to the man" stuff in the SS thread? Sardonic reference to "School of Rock". "Fuck you, I do what I want" is actually the rock 'n' roll stance I prefer.

It's possible that my relative youth is part of my problem - I have absorbed the Stones into my system over only half of the time it took them to play themselves out. By the time I got there, it was, for all intents and purposes artistically over. It is extremely difficult to reconcile the mythical monsters of the 60s and early 70s that roam my imagination with the corporate mongers of today - the continuum is too narrow. Perhaps were I a little older and my own experience of the band was stretched over another decade or so I would be less exacting and more in tune.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

This is a fascinating conversation, Nasty Habits!
And I think that I understand exactly where you are coming from and why you "wouldn't see them"....And you're absolutely right! They are a mere shadow of what they used to be, even if you benevolently overlook the Tijuana Brass section and the constant Chuck Leavell plinkety-plink on the keyboards...
My husband is a lot older than me and was lucky enough to see them in the Richmond pubs they started playing in, I am sure those were the days and the places to see them in...he also refuses to go and see them nowadays...
I, disappointed as I may be in parts, still say "they rock!", and they still are my favourite live band, the time when I definitely enjoy dancing the most, but I know exactly where you are coming from!

I think that if you're an aesthete you ought to try and see the White Stripes if they ever play in your neck of the woods, I am sure you would love them! This tour they just have a plain red satin backdrop, and the lights throw shadows of Jack and Meg alternately against it, it is visually mesmerising, and the music.....what can I say?...
They make your soul laugh...
As to "School of Rock": I love that movie! Must have seen it about a dozen times with my daughter..... Last summer, when all the cancellations happened, I would also have loved to see Mick Jagger take a running jump from the stage, exactly like Jack Black, and then the crowd part, and Mick going "splat!" on the floor, I was soooo angry....
So, as to the Stones doing stuff for money: they are some of the biggest whores in the business, no doubt about it!
Which wouldn't really bother me, as I only have to look into my own face in the mirror every morning, not theirs...But it would be nice if they gave their fans something every now and then...It's not only the cancellations last summer, add to that the clubshows that never materialised, how they cancelled AC but played for Clinton's birthday, how they fucked good fans like Bitch at the Beacon, and filled the place with bimboes, blablabla.... They are whores, but they also have turned into quite nasty whores, if you start thinking about it...By now I have NO EXPECTATIONS whatsoever, really....

But back to Fiji's question: who wouldn't do the same???
Don't know. I would like to think that there are things in this life that no price tag would make me do, no matter how high. Perhaps I am deluded, who knows???
If pressed hard enough, if my child's life depended on it, I would do whatever it takes,you name it-I'd do it, but for money???? Somehow I don't think so.
I would certainly not say at a press conference "You can keep the money" and then proceed to keep it all myself...lol
Dudes are old.
Dudes are also greedy.
And the irony of it is you can't take any of it to the grave with you, so what's the point???
Bob Dylan still does it for the music, for the art, for the kicks, because he loves doing it, the old cantankerous bastard, but these four are in it as individual members of the RS Corporation. It's just a way of making a shitload of money in a very short time.And for a very long time we've been bending over and taking it from behind, that's the essence of it!
17th July 2007 03:16 PM
jostorm
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

LMAO, Jo! Now there are a few mental images I'll have a hard time getting out of my head. Yikes!

We would have asked you to be our make-up artist that evening, of course....
17th July 2007 03:28 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jostorm wrote:

We would have asked you to be our make-up artist that evening, of course....

LMAO...you really would have been in trouble then...LOL...the mind reels...

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)