ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sala Oval, Museu National d'Art de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain 12th July 2007 ( Deutsche Bank Privat Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
13th July 2007 10:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

This is about par for the course and this is what being extremely wealthy can get you! Again, I, sadly, must point out to everyone here that this was not a "Rocks Off Gathering" (or as some call it Summit). This was a group of business professionals who more than likely only know the Stones by Start Me Up, Satisfaction, and Its Only Rock and Roll.

This is a pic of some of the lucky rock 'n' rollers on their way into the gig (courtesy Bjornulf Vik/IORR) (he didnt get in either)...

straight from the boardroom to the cabaret, sorry, 'gig', by the look of it...

A free copy of 'Rarities' is on it's way to whoever can spot the fan wearing the Stones T-shirt....
13th July 2007 10:21 AM
Joey

< ------ I wish I was there for the concert

Me Too Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fiji )

Me too --- BEST STONES YET !!!!!

Jazzy

13th July 2007 10:22 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

This is a pic of some of the lucky rock 'n' rollers on their way into the gig (courtesy Bjornulf Vik/IORR) (he didnt get in either)...

straight from the boardroom to the cabaret, sorry, 'gig', by the look of it...

A free copy of 'Rarities' is on it's way to whoever can spot the fan wearing the Stones T-shirt....

are these guys ready to party or what!!!!!!

13th July 2007 10:39 AM
EELPIE lots of bald heads and blazers
good to see they removed their neck-ties tho.

this individual Jacob Cohl, is a prize piece of work.

13th July 2007 10:45 AM
voodoopug
quote:
EELPIE wrote:
lots of bald heads and blazers
good to see they removed their neck-ties tho.

this individual Jacob Cohl, is a prize piece of work.

thankfully, I still have a full, healthy head of hair. Sadly, at 29 (I will be 30 next month), I am seeing the start of some gray hair on the sides. Certainly, I can pull of the "distinguished business man look", but would rather not have to deal with the gray.

Sadly, the gray hair is due to the tremendously long work hours I put in, sacrificing sleep to spend time with my wife and kids, and an overall high stress lifestyle.

I wonder how Jacob Cohl does it so effortlessly!
13th July 2007 10:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I wonder how Jacob Cohl does it so effortlessly!

well, he's not exactly breakin' sweat when it comes to running that fan club effectively....
13th July 2007 10:55 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well, he's not exactly breakin' sweat when it comes to running that fan club effectively....

The Fan Club has agreed to pick up the tab to cover the bands cost to play for Shidoobee this weekend in NYC. I suspect Young Jacob had to intervene.

Sadly, i am also disappointed with the way rs.com is run. One must only assume that another relative is handling this!

I am told that "The Police" have added another guitarist to their touring band to cover for the horrendous playing thus far on the tour. I am yet to find out if this order came from the "Cohl's" or not. The tour is proving to be a disaster, not too long from now, I predict a punch will be thrown on stage.
13th July 2007 11:12 AM
EELPIE
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

The Fan Club has agreed to pick up the tab to cover the bands cost to play for Shidoobee this weekend in NYC. I suspect Young Jacob had to intervene.

Bon Jovi tribute band?
13th July 2007 11:16 AM
voodoopug
quote:
EELPIE wrote:

Bon Jovi tribute band?

Pretty Lame there, I assumed you posted better than that.
13th July 2007 11:21 AM
EELPIE apologies
friday is getting the better of me
i wish you and yours a pleasant w/e
13th July 2007 11:23 AM
speedfreakjive this is not a business chat board
13th July 2007 11:43 AM
Jeep The crowd was very mad, so some security guys from Altamont were hired yesterday night.

13th July 2007 11:48 AM
voodoopug
quote:
EELPIE wrote:
apologies
friday is getting the better of me
i wish you and yours a pleasant w/e

and you the same!
13th July 2007 12:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, i am also disappointed with the way rs.com is run. One must only assume that another relative is handling this!

Frank Zappa's great song title says it best - "The Idiot Bastard Son"....
13th July 2007 12:54 PM
Dan
quote:
I am told that "The Police" have added another guitarist to their touring band to cover for the horrendous playing thus far on the tour. I am yet to find out if this order came from the "Cohl's" or not. The tour is proving to be a disaster, not too long from now, I predict a punch will be thrown on stage.

Andy's playing is great. The Police tour is far from a disaster, it is the most successful tour of 2007.
13th July 2007 01:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I wonder how Jacob Cohl does it so effortlessly!<

I can answer that...he had his soul and conscience removed at a very young age.
13th July 2007 01:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I wonder how Jacob Cohl does it so effortlessly!<

I can answer that...he had his soul and conscience removed at a very young age.

although we disagree at times......VERY GOOD answer there.
13th July 2007 01:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Dan wrote:

Andy's playing is great. The Police tour is far from a disaster, it is the most successful tour of 2007.

They hype sold this tour out, not the performances. Reviews in most newspapers have been dreadful (see: Sun Times Chicago for an example). A way to gauge the success of a tour, particularly if another one is to be planned is the secondary market. (adding another stop to Soldier Field in Chicago for the Stones last year is a prime example) There is a HUGE flood of tickets being fire saled by brokers and schlubs who are stuck with the tickets. The band themselves are bickering (but I guess they always have?) also.

On paper this is a success. But I don't see a lot of repeat customers here like you get with the Stones.
13th July 2007 02:06 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

They hype sold this tour out, not the performances.

There were no performances to sell this tour because they hadn't toured in 24 years

quote:

Reviews in most newspapers have been dreadful (see: Sun Times Chicago for an example).

I haven't read many reviews but what I have seen were mixed.

quote:
A way to gauge the success of a tour, particularly if another one is to be planned is the secondary market.

Bullshit. The secondary market has absolutely no bearing on how successful a tour is. It simply means the brokers/scalpers bought too many. The target market for those tickets is very small as most people simply will not attend if they can't get tickets from the official outlet.

quote:

(adding another stop to Soldier Field in Chicago for the Stones last year is a prime example) There is a HUGE flood of tickets being fire saled by brokers and schlubs who are stuck with the tickets. The band themselves are bickering (but I guess they always have?) also.

The band always have. Brokers bought into the hype and bought far more than they should have. The more tickets in circulation, the lower the secondary market price is going to be. I think 80,000 sold in a single city is better indication of success than a few whiny scalpers stuck with too many of those tickets. But it's a success because either way those tickets were sold and everyone who needed to be paid got paid. It doesn't matter if they weren't resold.
quote:

On paper this is a success. But I don't see a lot of repeat customers here like you get with the Stones.

On paper, their bank statements, which is the usual criteria for what determines if a tour is a success. Don't know about the repeat thing, but rapidly diminishing returns is a fact of life in the concert industry, I know I wouldn't go back unless they played the songs faster.
[Edited by Dan]
13th July 2007 02:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Dan wrote:

There were no performances to sell this tour because they hadn't toured in 24 years

I haven't read many reviews but what I have seen were mixed.

Bullshit. The secondary market has absolutely no bearing on how successful a tour is. It simply means the brokers/scalpers bought too many. The target market for those tickets is very small as most people simply will not attend if they can't get tickets from the official outlet.

The band always have. Brokers bought into the hype and bought far more than they should have. The more tickets in circulation, the lower the secondary market price is going to be. I think 80,000 sold in a single city is better indication of success than a few whiny scalpers stuck with too many of those tickets. But it's a success because either way those tickets were sold and everyone who needed to be paid got paid. It doesn't matter if they weren't resold.

On paper, their bank statements, which is the usual criteria for what determines if a tour is a success. Don't know about the repeat thing, but rapidly diminishing returns is a fact of life in the concert industry, I know I wouldn't go back unless they played the songs faster.
[Edited by Dan]

most of your statements go along with what I was trying to imply. One thing I do want you to be wary of though is to not think for a minute that some of the secondary market's tickets don't come directly from the tour's promoters either.

Have a great weekend Dan!
13th July 2007 05:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Why do the Rolling Stones...the embodiment of Rock n Roll...do so many things that are so completely UN-Rock n Roll? And yet...they expect us all to STILL consider them to be the embodiment of Rock n Roll? All I can say now is...The Rolling Stones WERE the embodiment of Rock n Roll. No more.

Creating and recording Satisfaction is Rock n Roll.

Playing Satisfaction to a bunch of suits who wouldn't know Rock n Roll if it smashed them in the head...for a multi million dollar paycheck...is not Rock n Roll.

Is there no one in the Stones camp who is Rock n Roll savvy anymore? Why is there no one telling them how BAD this sort of thing is? Are they so far off the Rock n Roll path that they can't get back on it from there?

Why does something as innocuous as this private show piss me off so much? I'm not suprised. My eyebrow didn't even raise up. I should be used to this shit by now. And yet here I am again...rubbed the wrong way by Stones Inc.

Why can't I just ignore this crap? Why? I WANT to ignore this crap. I TRY to ignore this crap. But I can't. I want to get in the bands face and wake them up. Why can't they see what they are doing to themselves and their legacey that they worked so hard to build? Why can't they just fucking KNOCK IT OFF. Why can't they be Rock n Roll anymore?

It's killing me people. Rolling Stones Inc is eating my guts from the inside out.

I used to want to meet this band. I wanted to shake hands and thank them for all the wonderful music that they made over the years. Now I want to slap them and tell them off.

Why are they doing this? Whatever happened to my Rock n Roll?
13th July 2007 06:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >Why are they doing this? Whatever happened to my Rock n Roll?<

GOOD QUESTION.

13th July 2007 06:05 PM
Fiji Joe Oh crap...not another rock n' roll nazi

SS...try this...rock the way you want and let others rock the way they want...and quit commenting on how others go to rock shows...and to who rock bands choose to play...because every time you bitch, you become less and less rock n' roll and start sounding more and more like my Buddy Holly (who wore a suit by the way) listening dad

I'll tell you what't would't be rock n' roll...turning down a free ticket to see the Stones and free glasses of wine and other perks just because I didn't have time to go home and put my dungarees on...that would't be rock n' roll at all

13th July 2007 06:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Why do the Rolling Stones...the embodiment of Rock n Roll...do so many things that are so completely UN-Rock n Roll? And yet...they expect us all to STILL consider them to be the embodiment of Rock n Roll?

As some poster posted one time..."they've got the songs"

13th July 2007 06:54 PM
Dan
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Oh crap...not another rock n' roll nazi

13th July 2007 07:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot You are right Feej.

If this is Rock and Roll...then I want no part of it.

Do whatever you want. Listen to whatever you want. Go see whatever you want.

I can't stomach this stuff anymore.

Thanks for the laughs...
13th July 2007 07:53 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You are right Feej.

Thanks for the laughs...

Oh come on...I've been in a position where I had to go to a show in my work clothes...I don't think it made me any less rock n' roll

And I don't think you want to start swearing off bands that play private gigs...because that won't leave anyone left to listen to...I don't see the difference between a private birthday bash or private pub gig and what the Stones are doing....Almost every band out there plays for all the money they can get...including, I'm sure, some of your current favorites...these dude's are in their 60s and still playing...think about that and the time they have lost just to keep playing...Why would you be angry if they juice their wallets?...they do it because they can...and any artist out there that says they wouldn't do the same if they could is lying or on dope

The only time I get pissed at the Stones is when they play to less than full arenas...because that means they priced some fans out of the show...high prices at sold out shows, on the other hand, are warranted because that shows the market was there and no matter what, someone was going to be left out...and in that case, in all fairness, the seats should go to the highest bidder...I tell you what would piss me off more is to not get a seat because some jackass who didn't have a job and had all day to wait online beat me out of a ticket because I had to work
13th July 2007 08:02 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You are right Feej.

Thanks for the laughs...

I seriously do not see why this bothers you, and others, so much. If the Rolling Stones have made such a success of themselves in their career that a giant worldwide bank wants to fork over millions of dollars to them for a command performance, then more power to them. Personally, I think they laugh their asses off after a show like this, all the way to the bank. Success is good. Would you turn it down? Didn't think so.
13th July 2007 08:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >success good>

Well NOT always. It all depends on how one defines "success". Principal is more importnt tghan suxccess.
13th July 2007 08:28 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
>success good>

Well NOT always. It all depends on how one defines "success". Principal is more importnt tghan suxccess.

The minute any of you turn down millions of dollars doing something you love to do because others feel you shouldn't, is when I'll agree.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)