ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ONNYA is really a great song... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
5th July 2007 10:44 PM
Soldatti I'm not a fan of the song but is among the best of ABB, just an average rocker.
5th July 2007 11:25 PM
Maxmeister [quote]ebmp wrote:
The only two great songs on ABB are Back of My Hand and Laugh, I nearly Died... The rest are average rockers

You essentially hit the reality nail on the head. There are at least 3 of "the rest" that are considerably below average but I admire your positive vibe in the face of considerable mediocrity.

Rick

5th July 2007 11:40 PM
MikeyC613 Mick could have written those lyrics in a 5-block cab ride on his way to do some blow back in 1978.
5th July 2007 11:51 PM
pdog
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Mick could have written those lyrics in a 5-block cab ride on his way to do some blow back in 1978.

that is what is missing...
6th July 2007 12:29 AM
Glimmer Twin Well, I love ONNYA. A fine song off an outstanding album. I get a kick out of these lyrics:

Everybody's talking
Showing up their wits
The moon is yellow but I'm like jello
Staring down your tits
6th July 2007 12:46 AM
Bloozehound In order to be a great rocker it's gotta pass the GRRCC: Great Rocker Rules of Conduct Code, in other words it's gotta similtanously inspire 3 or more of the following types of conduct: make you slam on the gas and drive 110 mph, sustain off nothing but tequila poppers and limes(jack and coke is a suitable alternative), take guns to knife fights, smash empty beer bottles against walls and eat live scorpions, set yourself on fire and ram your head through a TV set, get butt nakid and shoot all the windows out of your house with a shotgun, sell your soul to the devil, snort coke off you wife's tits and plug her in the ass
6th July 2007 10:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot Look, I'm not slagging on anyone. Like what you wanna like. It's your ears, abuse them however you like...makes no difference to me.

But here's the thing...

Take ONNYA, and stand it up beside some of The Stones really great back catalogue. If you do that, you will see how far short ONNYA falls from being actually "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". It just isn't any of those things. It is a very average Stones song. It is what it is, and nothing more. So why are folks convinced that it IS more? I dunno...beats the hell outta me.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy an average song. I like many many average and just OK type songs. Just because a song isn't "great" does not mean that you can't still enjoy it. Duh. So why the need to attach all these glowing words to a song that clearly does not deserve such glowing words? Again...I dunno why. Why can't we just admit that it's just an OK song that can be enjoyable? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that.

"Fine" or "OK" or "average" do not equal "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". Never has and never will. I think it's a simple matter of the words having been misused and devalued over the years. Great doesn't actually mean great anymore...fantastic isn't really fantastic. We've stolen the thunder of words like that. "Great" now means OK or mediocre. I think that's kinda sad.

Well, not to me. To me, "great" actually still means "great". "Fantastic" still means "fantastic". "Classic" is still "Classic". I am going to try very hard to only use words like those when they are actually meritted. Nothing on ABB merits the use of any of those words...not in any real sense. Ergo, you will not see me use ony of those words to descibe it.

6th July 2007 10:36 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Look, I'm not slagging on anyone. Like what you wanna like. It's your ears, abuse them however you like...makes no difference to me.

But here's the thing...

Take ONNYA, and stand it up beside some of The Stones really great back catalogue. If you do that, you will see how far short ONNYA falls from being actually "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". It just isn't any of those things. It is a very average Stones song. It is what it is, and nothing more. So why are folks convinced that it IS more? I dunno...beats the hell outta me.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy an average song. I like many many average and just OK type songs. Just because a song isn't "great" does not mean that you can't still enjoy it. Duh. So why the need to attach all these glowing words to a song that clearly does not deserve such glowing words? Again...I dunno why. Why can't we just admit that it's just an OK song that can be enjoyable? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that.

"Fine" or "OK" or "average" do not equal "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". Never has and never will. I think it's a simple matter of the words having been misused and devalued over the years. Great doesn't actually mean great anymore...fantastic isn't really fantastic. We've stolen the thunder of words like that. "Great" now means OK or mediocre. I think that's kinda sad.

Well, not to me. To me, "great" actually still means "great". "Fantastic" still means "fantastic". "Classic" is still "Classic". I am going to try very hard to only use words like those when they are actually meritted. Nothing on ABB merits the use of any of those words...not in any real sense. Ergo, you will not see me use ony of those words to descibe it.

Fantastic, SS'y!
6th July 2007 11:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot LOL.

Yeah, I'll take that ya fucker.
6th July 2007 11:46 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
In order to be a great rocker it's gotta pass the GRRCC: Great Rocker Rules of Conduct Code, in other words it's gotta similtanously inspire 3 or more of the following types of conduct: make you slam on the gas and drive 110 mph, sustain off nothing but tequila poppers and limes(jack and coke is a suitable alternative), take guns to knife fights, smash empty beer bottles against walls and eat live scorpions, set yourself on fire and ram your head through a TV set, get butt nakid and shoot all the windows out of your house with a shotgun, sell your soul to the devil, snort coke off you wife's tits and plug her in the ass

Rock N' Roll!

6th July 2007 01:56 PM
CraigP It seems as if our opinions as to whether we think that ONNYA is a good Rolling Stones song amongst their overall catalog, vary about 50/50(whether good or filler)...

One person suggested that it would have been, perhaps a filler track on a great album such as Tattoo You.
In my opinion, I think ONNYA would have been worthy of replacing something like "Tops" or "Heaven", had it been conceived in that era like it could sound. It is modern sounding performance/production, yet hard-rock'n'roll with that classic Stones sound.

Anyways,
I was anticipating the new tour/record so much but and ignorant to the fact that the May 10, 2005 press conference was being broadcast on the radio, so a friend calls me, tells me that he heard bits and peices of ONNYA on the radio! and said it sounded like something off of Some Girls - (GOOD NEWS to me, despite feeling annoyed that I missed it)

Later on that day I got the bright idea to see what's up on Rocks Off and got a link to the press conf. performance. When I saw it I was overwhelmingly rocked and blown away by ONNYA and how loud, raw, mean, energetic and fast they played.
And Charlie!!! back to attack with a new lease on life!!! - No mistakes, smashing, crashing and kicking that bass drum like there was no tomorrow. It felt like they were young again,(minus the visuals)

-A Bigger Bang studio version: still rocks my socks off to this day. Raw, fast and full sounding Stonsey rocker with the perfect mix/production. This was the usual song I played for the friends of mine that were interested in new Stones.

Despite expecting ABB to have more songs with that classic Stones grit, I could still appreciate the 8-year overdue studio record.

-A Bigger Bang TOUR versions: Never bad, really... At times, some versions are still preferred over their "classic" songs and often being played loudly in my stereo or DVD player.

-The Biggest Bang (Austin, TX) version: I like it. Keith's solo, short and sweet but not as good as his one from the press conference.
The tempo is a bit faster, which I like, unless it's a case where Jagger is rushing the song as if he wants it to end.

-HINT to the elders, the kids like Stones who play hard and fast enough to jump around. The audience at shows in America and Britiain are boring stiffs who'd rather sit in their seats than waste the energy to stand up.
(I was actually being HARASSED at the Boston Garden by two of those old farts behind me right after the Stones bust out the opener with JJF just because I wasn't sitting on my ass. I was only dancing a bit during the fast numbers, trying to enjoy my favorite band and these people are telling me to sit down!?!?!

6th July 2007 02:18 PM
PartyDoll MEG Me ...I'm with SS on this one.

Good rocking groove, but I can't get past the horrid lyrics... I literally cringe everytime I hear those god awful grade school rhymes...
6th July 2007 02:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I think ONNYA would have been worthy of replacing something like "Tops" or "Heaven"<

***Blank Friggin' Stare***

Honestly, I don't even know how to respond to something like that.

To each their own, I suppose. I'm glad you like the song.
6th July 2007 02:59 PM
texile it has that reckless energy that's missing from latter-day stones and that's good enough for me.
6th July 2007 03:01 PM
mrhipfl Agree with SS. To say that it could replace any song on Tattoo You is just absurd.
6th July 2007 03:11 PM
Maxlugar I'd let it replace Aint No Use.

Heaven I absolutely love. Just Mick on guitar with Bill on synth and Bass and Charlie on drums. One of those unique Stones tunes.

6th July 2007 03:15 PM
Morrisey Hotel You could replace A Bigger Bang with my music, and no one would notice.
6th July 2007 03:26 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Morrisey Hotel wrote:
You could replace A Bigger Bang with my music, and no one would notice.

I'd notice...because you and your music smell like ass
6th July 2007 04:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I'd notice...because you and your music smell like ass

******** Sniff !!! *************

I smell Ass around here :

|
|
V

6th July 2007 04:27 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
In order to be a great rocker it's gotta pass the GRRCC: Great Rocker Rules of Conduct Code, in other words it's gotta similtanously inspire 3 or more of the following types of conduct: make you slam on the gas and drive 110 mph, sustain off nothing but tequila poppers and limes(jack and coke is a suitable alternative), take guns to knife fights, smash empty beer bottles against walls and eat live scorpions, set yourself on fire and ram your head through a TV set, get butt nakid and shoot all the windows out of your house with a shotgun, sell your soul to the devil, snort coke off you wife's tits and plug her in the ass

Classic post.
6th July 2007 05:31 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

see what warm schlitz can do to people...people.
6th July 2007 07:59 PM
Soldatti
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I think ONNYA would have been worthy of replacing something like "Tops" or "Heaven", had it been conceived in that era like it could sound. It is modern sounding performance/production, yet hard-rock'n'roll with that classic Stones sound.

The first 20 seconds of Tops are light years better than the whole ABB album, let alone the whole song.
6th July 2007 10:50 PM
tumbled
this is the song in Atlanta during bigger bang tour when I got a pick from Keith and my friend Dianne got a pick from Ronnie. and it is a great song listening to on the way to work full blast and great to dance to..
'tongue' in cheek lyrics
7th July 2007 09:37 PM
Nellcote Still, despite the expert opinions, a great song.
Carry On...
8th July 2007 08:09 AM
bilsim Nellcote, go ahead and keep enjoying ONNYA, I love this track, it was watching this when they played it third at Twickenham last year that I fell in love with it. Just because the people on these message boards want you not to enjoy later stones music, you gotta! I love Bridges to Babylon, tracks like Gunface, Too tight, Saint of Me, Out of Control. If you like music, don't let people with their heads up their ass tell you not to like it. ABB is a fuckin fine album, better than anything else anyone's putting out these days.
8th July 2007 09:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot Whoa whoa whoa...

Please show me where I ever said that folks shouldn't like ONNYA. You can't show me because I never said that. If you inferred that from any of my posts...then you either misread what I wrote, or you don't read english very well.

I said the song, in and of itself, is very average.

And it is. You see that when you compare ONNYA to truely great songs from The Stones back catalogue.

I do NOT dislike ONNYA. It's fine, and I would never presume to tell people what they should or shouldn't like.

What I said in previous posts is...ONNYA is not deserving of words like "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". That certainly doesn't mean that one shouldn't enjoy the song.
8th July 2007 09:57 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa...

Please show me where I ever said that folks shouldn't like ONNYA. You can't show me because I never said that. If you inferred that from any of my posts...then you either misread what I wrote, or you don't read english very well.

I said the song, in and of itself, is very average.

And it is. You see that when you compare ONNYA to truely great songs from The Stones back catalogue.

I do NOT dislike ONNYA. It's fine, and I would never presume to tell people what they should or shouldn't like.

What I said in previous posts is...ONNYA is not deserving of words like "great" or "fantastic" or "classic". That certainly doesn't mean that one shouldn't enjoy the song.

i think you really think the song really sucks...the sooner you admit it the better off you'll feel.
8th July 2007 10:07 AM
Sir Stonesalot >ABB is a fuckin fine album, better than anything else anyone's putting out these days.<

***blank friggin' stare***

I can only assume that you:

A.) Are a raging fanboy/girl.

B.) Listen to too much commercial radio.

C.) Somehow missed the 500+ albums released in the last 2 years that completely makes ABB their bitch. (Do NOT misunderstand...I'm NOT saying that the bands that released said albums are better than The Stones. They simply put out an album that is far superior to The Stones last album. Nothing more.)
8th July 2007 09:54 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
C.) Somehow missed the 500+ albums released in the last 2 years that completely makes ABB their bitch. (Do NOT misunderstand...I'm NOT saying that the bands that released said albums are better than The Stones. They simply put out an album that is far superior to The Stones last album. Nothing more.)

any "fantastic, classic" albums among the 500+?
9th July 2007 09:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot >any "fantastic, classic" albums among the 500+?<

No.

Some really good ones, a few excellent ones...but nothing great or classic.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)