ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ONNYA is really a great song... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
5th July 2007 10:46 AM
Nellcote Two years in, I'm listening to this right now, it holds up really great. I yet wince about the lyrics, however, the playing on it makes up for that area.

Discuss...
5th July 2007 10:52 AM
Joey " Two years in, I'm listening to this right now, it holds up really great. I yet wince about the lyrics, however, the playing on it makes up for that area. "

<---- Agree !!!

Yes , I concur -- Outstanding Song Nellcote .

Skittles !

5th July 2007 10:57 AM
Steel Wheels It's a great song - sounds great blasting on my stereo, in my car, and in concert.

A Bigger Bang is their best album since Some Girls. I love how stripped down each song is. Just a bunch of guitars and a guy singing over top of it. The drummer sounds good too.
5th July 2007 10:59 AM
Joey " A Bigger Bang is their best album since Some Girls. I love how stripped down each song is. Just a bunch of guitars and a guy singing over top of it. "

<---- AMEN !!!!! .... Prodigious Analysis

Concur Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fiji )
5th July 2007 11:02 AM
Jumping Jack ABB has some great songs on it (SOL & Neocon are not among them) that deserve to be played instead of all the crappy covers.
5th July 2007 11:11 AM
GotToRollMe ONNYA is a classic rocker. Charlie kicks ass on this one.
5th July 2007 11:12 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
ABB has some great songs on it (SOL & Neocon are not among them) that deserve to be played instead of all the crappy covers.

Hello Jumping Jack !!!!!!

Good to see you postin' again .
5th July 2007 11:30 AM
twicks1 Yeah, it's a fantastic song.

What happened to the live version, though? The best one I've heard yet was the press conference version. The one from Austin sounds watered down and crappy.
5th July 2007 11:49 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Two years in, I'm listening to this right now, it holds up really great. I yet wince about the lyrics, however, the playing on it makes up for that area.

Discuss...

Wince about the lyrics? What's wrong with:

"Staring down your tits . . .
Get me off the rack"?
5th July 2007 12:12 PM
Dan I love that song! Would rather hear it live than Rough Justice or a cover song. I listened to ABB A LOT when it first came out but probably haven't listened to it since 2005.
5th July 2007 12:32 PM
Steel Wheels Bigger Bang has been in my player since it was released. I'm having a love affair with it!

I love it all. Every note. All the words. The riffs. Charlie Fucking Watts.

Charlie sounds soooooo good, doesn't he?

I think I bust a button on my trousers he sounds so good.
5th July 2007 01:18 PM
texile onnya stands out from the rest of abb -

it has that respectable vibe....
and jagger's voice is strong, not whiny or mannered -
it reminds me of the old mick.
5th July 2007 01:26 PM
winter favorite tune on ABB, I think it is as good as anything they have done since Some Girls,

much better than Rough Justice

wintah
5th July 2007 01:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Doesn't take much to impress ya'll.

ONNYA is Stones by the numbers, and would be nothing more than filler on anything before Tattoo You...hell it probably would have ended up as an outtake, and not even made the tracklist.

ONNYA is a fine example to show how far we Stones fans have lowered our expectations. It is a very very mediocre song. Yet we see words like "great", and "fantastic", and "classic" attached to it.

I admire your enthusiasm. But obviously, ya'll have no interest in objectivity and reality. I wish that stuff didn't mean anything to me either.
5th July 2007 01:49 PM
_Boomy_ I'd like to see this band play this track.

5th July 2007 01:57 PM
ebmp The only two great songs on ABB are Back of My Hand and Laugh, I nearly Died... The rest are average rockers

If you're talking about classic songs post Tatoo You please mention Thru and Thru, Saint of Me, Out of Control and these two.. Not ONNYA
5th July 2007 02:22 PM
mrhipfl not one of the better songs on ABB imo.
5th July 2007 02:52 PM
Nellcote SS, nice of you to chime in.
If it revs your engine to
slag others for what they like,
have a lemonade bash!
You can wish all you want, and
even if you told Keith to his face
they are coasting, which I know
you would like to, it would not
matter, they will play like they
want to play, regardless of you
or anyone else thinks. I know you've accepted
this, so, the world is good.

5th July 2007 02:56 PM
pdog I like the very opening harp on Sweet Neo Con, it's downhill from there, actually it's like being thrown off a cliff.
ONNYA should be one of the least fav. songs on a new Stones record, the catchy little number you like at first, and then find out how great the album is. Instead it is the song that rises like steam above the crap and circling flies, and is probably one of the better songs on the lame ass album.
I agree with SS, as Stones fans we lower the bar and accept a bad record, which they've barely played live, when you really look at it, thrown a few songs around, stuck with two songs throughout, and now are down to one... That speaks volumes, they hate it too!!!
5th July 2007 03:07 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
pdog wrote:
I like the very opening harp on Sweet Neo Con, it's downhill from there, actually it's like being thrown off a cliff.
ONNYA should be one of the least fav. songs on a new Stones record, the catchy little number you like at first, and then find out how great the album is. Instead it is the song that rises like steam above the crap and circling flies, and is probably one of the better songs on the lame ass album.
I agree with SS, as Stones fans we lower the bar and accept a bad record, which they've barely played live, when you really look at it, thrown a few songs around, stuck with two songs throughout, and now are down to one... That speaks volumes, they hate it too!!!

Why are they not doing "Back of My Hand"? This was awesome when I saw them do it live in Detroit.
5th July 2007 05:44 PM
pdog
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Why are they not doing "Back of My Hand"? This was awesome when I saw them do it live in Detroit.

They are a nostalgia act.
5th July 2007 06:24 PM
fireontheplatter it is an ok song...very rowdy.

my favorite song from the cd as of late is..driving to fast.
5th July 2007 06:40 PM
Nasty Habits If ONNYA was Stones by the numbers it would be called "Not You Again". Or "No Not You'. A rocker with more than three words in the title? That's not formula! That's Stonesian genius!

This song still makes me laugh (in theory. in actuality I haven't heard it in months) and I always thought the raveup was actually unexpected and unusual way for them to end a rocker.
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
5th July 2007 07:33 PM
72Tele How can a song be great with lyrics that make the Bay City Rollers look like Dylan? Two decent songs and thats about it, It wont Take Long and Laugh I nearly cried. Throw in Saint of me, Out of Control, Love is Strong, Mixed Emotions and Almost Hear You Sigh and you have a decent EP for fifteen years work.
5th July 2007 07:50 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Two years in, I'm listening to this right now, it holds up really great.

forget about the how "worthwhile" the song is what scares me is ...two years already!! - where does the time go!!

just think if we were back in the 70's we would have already had the next album and be looking foward to the imminent release of the one following that
5th July 2007 09:37 PM
texile
quote:
pdog wrote:
I like the very opening harp on Sweet Neo Con, it's downhill from there, actually it's like being thrown off a cliff.

true...
and fireontheplatter,
it's rowdy-ness is what makes it so great.
it's not always about the words, but the delivery,
and jagger sounds either possessed or scared shitless.

5th July 2007 09:48 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
not one of the better songs on ABB imo.

Scratch that. After listening to it again, I realize I quite like it. The live version doesn't do it justice though. Same with rough justice.
5th July 2007 10:00 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Scratch that. After listening to it again, I realize I quite like it. The live version doesn't do it justice though. Same with rough justice.

sorry mister / no way
you're not allowed to just change your mind just like that

you just told the whole world the song sucks and you hurt mick and co's feelings

5th July 2007 10:22 PM
Navin Dr.Sir Stonesalot, Regarding The Stones 2005 Bigger Bang record, now maybe someday I might know something about your apparent 'dis-satisfaction' with this particular record...and maybe someday, I may finally discover the 'true-genius' behind Dylan's Modern Times record that came out a year later...but I am almost sure you dig the Stooges Weirdness record that came out this year more than any of those.

For the others, getting back to ABB, there exists about 11 different early mixes with a total of 18 tracks...maybe this collection, which was distributed here and elsewhere about six months ago might help towards getting to know them and/or enjoy them better.
5th July 2007 10:36 PM
pdog The Weirdness isn't that good, only a few good tracks, should've been an e.p. IMO. Like the few trackshe did with the brothers on Skull Ring.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)