ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Neocon" not to appear on the album Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 9th, 2005 11:45 PM
corgi37 Maybe the Stones left Neocon off the new record in anticipated fear over what Fox News Network would do? They might call them very nasty names and tease them about their age.

Or maybe there would be a cd burning festival down South like they did with the Dixie Chicks?

Or maybe Mick doesnt want to ruin his chances of "fixing up" Ms. Rice?
July 10th, 2005 12:09 AM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

For a start, Bob Dylan's a lot more subtle politically than that.

being a 'liberal' (or not) in this case is completely irrelevant and something I personally dont give a fuck about. Being 'relieved' because a song that doesnt fit your political worldview gets dropped is your own choice and from that perspective anyone should respect that. However it misses the point. I couldnt give a shit from what 'side' the song is written.

The supposed political angle of the song in question is not the issue. The Stones losing their bottle is.

You list a couple of things that 'made the Stones the greatest rock n roll band' . Some other things that 'made the Stones the greatest rock n roll band' was having some balls ,a rebellious attitude and being uncomprising in what they say.

Its quite clear that they are now a million miles removed from all of that. As a long time fan, I find that an indictment of what they stand for these days.

And as for your last remark, as I'm one of the 'fans' pissed at the band wimping out, you're not only assuming you know my political stance but also asking me to leave my own board and post on keno's instead?

Its not a question of "political hot air" like some other threads here are. Its completely Stones-related and solely to do with a band decision on whether to include a certain song on a record. If anyone's twisting anyone's views on whether or not the band should be censored or censor themselves into a conservative/liberal/left wing argument, then they're missing the point of why some people are pissed at the band's apparent lack of balls.
[Edited by Gazza]

amen gazza, and i hope we keep ranting about this because its not only about the distance between the stones now and THEN, (and that's got nothing to do with age.)
once upon a time, mick refused to play spain in the early 70s because of the franco regime? as gazza stated, its a real question of balls.
July 10th, 2005 03:03 AM
JumpingKentFlash They shouldn't have played Neocon at the listening parties. They should just leave it, and then people would have discovered it themselves on the new CD. That would've been better I think.

I bet the new CD is still gonna rock anyway. We only know what Neocon is about. We have no idea about the rest yet. Maybe there's a song called "Bush Loves Marx" or "God and Allah Holding Hands". My point is: It's really hard to say anyting about it yet.

Oh and: Highwire rules. It's in their top 75 for sure. I am a lefty, but that's not why. I ust like the groove of it.
July 10th, 2005 05:12 AM
Moonisup
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Rik if I get you Chuck's autograph will you remove that pic
of Mick with the pail and shorts?

Please.....

Ok! that's a promise
July 10th, 2005 06:36 PM
rocker Rocker sez sorry to Gazza. Your point is fair and well taken. Peace my friend.

I just got put out with all the crap on Kenos board, and like it so much better over here. In any case i would not be mad if the stones put neocon on the album, and i certainly dont have a problem with anyone criticizing the bush administration, including the stones.

God bless to all and peace
July 11th, 2005 02:12 AM
prism I don't think Fox News will insult the Stones. At least Bill O'Reilly won't. When he interviewed Bill Wyman he seemed in awe of him. Anyway, President Bush's poll numbers are at his lowest ever, they are the lowest of any president in a second term, except for Nixon right before he resigned. I don't think too many people will be outraged at a Stones song called Neocon.
July 11th, 2005 04:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
rocker wrote:
Rocker sez sorry to Gazza. Your point is fair and well taken. Peace my friend.

I just got put out with all the crap on Kenos board, and like it so much better over here. In any case i would not be mad if the stones put neocon on the album, and i certainly dont have a problem with anyone criticizing the bush administration, including the stones.

God bless to all and peace

Note the little 'wink' on my post, rocker...I was only taking the piss about being offended, my friend

someone's suggested elsewhere the reason why the song isnt on the album is because the lyrical content is potentially libellous, as "Claudine" was. If thats the case, it is (as I said originally) a reasonable excuse to leave it off - although its something they should have been more careful about
[Edited by Gazza]
July 11th, 2005 05:28 AM
charlotte My guess(and know one except a few knows for sure)is that since the song does mention her by name and followed by derogatory remarks the lyrics are libelous, the Stones Management(Attorneys) has informed them of this...more careful? How can you be more careful than this? No press release, no released LP, it's 6-8 weeks away, just finished the work...adjust the lyrics or can the song...happens all of the time and yes it happens to Bruce, Bob, etc.

p.s. As you can tell by the many posts around the various boards the U.S. is a bitterly divided country politically
July 11th, 2005 09:42 AM
corgi37 (Bugs Bunny voice) Ahh, they lost they're noive!
July 11th, 2005 10:20 AM
Gazza LMAO

Dat damn wabbit!
July 11th, 2005 10:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
charlotte wrote:
My guess(and know one except a few knows for sure)is that since the song does mention her by name and followed by derogatory remarks the lyrics are libelous, the Stones Management(Attorneys) has informed them of this...more careful? How can you be more careful than this? No press release, no released LP, it's 6-8 weeks away, just finished the work...adjust the lyrics or can the song...happens all of the time and yes it happens to Bruce, Bob, etc.

I meant more careful when they were writing/recording the song in the first place
July 11th, 2005 10:24 AM
charlotte Gazza, remember it's been a long long time since they have done this(recording new material)!!!
July 11th, 2005 10:29 AM
FPM C10
quote:
charlotte wrote:
My guess(and know one except a few knows for sure)is that since the song does mention her by name and followed by derogatory remarks the lyrics are libelous, the Stones Management(Attorneys) has informed them of this...

Ridiculous. They can well afford any libel suit. It would be more than offset by the publicity they would get. Having Bill O'Reilly calling for their heads on a platter for daring to criticize the sacrosanct idiots of the Bush administration would be the best thing that could happen to their career at this late date.

Besides, it would be easy to write a scathing song about the hypocrisy of the Bush administration without using any libelous words. It's a matter of public record.

It's far more likely that their record company is facing strong-arm tactics similar to those which were used against Howard Stern's employers, and THEY are unwilling to take any sort of controversial stand. And the Stones, not being US citizens, are saying "eh...whatever". It's really not their problem.

But it's a chickenshit move regardless of the whys and wherefores. If the big "backlash" against the Dixie Chicks didn't work, a similar backlash against the Stones would have zero impact.

I still think it's going to end up as a B-side, and whatever controversy is stirred up (are they talking about this anywhere but on Stones boards?) will drive sales of a single.

quote:
charlotte wrote:
p.s. As you can tell by the many posts around the various boards the U.S. is a bitterly divided country politically

Really? I hadn't noticed.
July 11th, 2005 10:47 AM
Maxlugar I'm disappointed the Stones would write and record a racist and sexist song about our great Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

I look forward to voting for Rice for president!

July 11th, 2005 11:41 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I'm disappointed the Stones would write and record a racist and sexist song about our great Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

I look forward to voting for Rice for president!

Hey, is this one of yours?

What's it say? It's in some sort of code.

Hey, how the heck is that little dog of yours? That little rascal Tele was always minty fresh and MAN could be tell a lie!

Is he off fighting terror somewhere?

Maybe he's a terrorier!

July 11th, 2005 12:27 PM
Maxlugar [quote]FPM C10 wrote:

That cartoon is beyond racist!

You have gone off the deep end!

July 11th, 2005 12:37 PM
texile how do we know it was sexist or racist?
has anyone actually seen the lyrics.......
i also read somewhere that there were several songs where jagger made critical references to us politics, so maybe all is not lost.
July 11th, 2005 12:45 PM
FPM C10
quote:
texile wrote:
how do we know it was sexist or racist?
has anyone actually seen the lyrics.......
i also read somewhere that there were several songs where jagger made critical references to us politics, so maybe all is not lost.

That was Max being funny. It's hard to tell some days.

Nothing of any great importance hinges on Mick's political pronouncements. I was just gratified to hear that such a song existed because the idea of the Stones and Neocons NOT being antithetical has always made me queasy. I am much more comfortable with the stereotype of the rightwingers listening to Toby Keith. Or Lynyrd Skynryd. Shallow of me, I know.

Did I get all the "y"s in the right places in that stupid name?
July 11th, 2005 01:16 PM
texile i know, max is a smartass - in fact it's damn funny to read his mock outrage at any purported sexism ....lol.

July 11th, 2005 01:22 PM
texile as for skynard, that's just one cross i bear as a southern rock fan.....i know its archaic, but those great guitar riffs.......and besides, the great ronnie van zandt was more in that old southern tradition of complete disdain of all authority....
we don't trust ANYBODY'S word at face value...
July 11th, 2005 01:27 PM
Maxlugar [quote]texile wrote:
i know, max is a smartass - in fact it's damn funny to read his mock outrage at any purported sexism ....lol.

Why?

Oh and don't feel bad about like Lynyrd Skynyrd! Great band chock full of Humbuckin' Madness!

July 11th, 2005 01:45 PM
texile i don't feel bad about skynard, but max - what is it exactly about condi rice that the stones should leave alone?
i'm curious, because how offensive could it be....
i mean, she is a matter of public record,
July 11th, 2005 02:00 PM
Maxlugar [quote]texile wrote:
i don't feel bad about skynard,

Oh, you said it was a cross to bear so I figured, like Jesus and His cross, you kind of felt bad about it..

"but max - what is it exactly about condi rice that the stones should leave alone?
i'm curious, because how offensive could it be....
i mean, she is a matter of public record,"

Condolezza Rice is a smart, successful, talented and well- spoken powerful woman of color who happens to be republican. If she were a dem and the tables were turned you've be hearing about racism and sexism night and day when she's criticized.
July 11th, 2005 02:08 PM
texile well, maybe not a cross - but it isn't something you reveal to your punk-loving brethren, so its more of a skeleton.
as condi, that's probably true - i personally find personal attacks offensive....but politically, she's fair-game and an open target.....so what DOES mick think about her?
it IS interesting that he singled out a strong, opinionated woman ....i mean why not shrub's male minions?
just curious.
July 11th, 2005 02:30 PM
FPM C10 Max is a little confused. Condi is actually an imperial toady, a professional liar, and a yes-man par excellence. And it's a common mistake to think Condi is a "woman of color" (how very PC Max can be when it concerns Republicans!) - she is actually a white man with a VERY small penis.

Much like Telecaster!

quote:
texile wrote:
well, maybe not a cross - but it isn't something you reveal to your punk-loving brethren, so its more of a skeleton.

Anyone who has ever been in a band and has weathered loudmouthed drunks yelling "Play some Skynryd!" knows that my anti-Skynryd bias isn't completely related to the band themselves.

It's still redneck rock to me. I'm old enough to remember George Corley Wallace, the "governor" immortalized in "Sweet Home Alabama", and...well, I just have a lot of other stuff that I'd rather listen to.
July 11th, 2005 02:55 PM
And it's a common mistake to think Condi is a "woman of color" (how very PC Max can be when it concerns Republicans!)

Yes, and I will extend that courtsey when I call you an "Unhinged-American".

Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo!

July 11th, 2005 02:57 PM
Joey
" Yes, and I will extend that courtsey when I call you an "Unhinged-American". "

Flacky Carson !

July 11th, 2005 03:00 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]FPM C10 wrote:
And it's a common mistake to think Condi is a "woman of color" (how very PC Max can be when it concerns Republicans!)

Yes, and I will extend that courtsey when I call you an "Unhinged-American".

Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo! Hoo-hoo Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Coo Coo for Coco Puffs! Hoo-Hoo! Hoooo hoooo! Coo Coo! Coo Coo!!! Coo Coo For Coco Puffs! Hoo hoo!

I'm sorry...that was supposed to make ME look unhinged?

Um...okay....

(pssst...Joey...get the net....)
July 11th, 2005 03:05 PM

My...sensors...indicate...you...need...a...hug.

Come...to...Hug-Bot! Come...to...Hug-Bot!
July 11th, 2005 03:17 PM
telecaster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]FPM C10 wrote:

My...sensors...indicate...you...need...a...hug.

Come...to...Hug-Bot! Come...to...Hug-Bot!

My senses indicate FPM needs a Prozac the size of a baseball

MACKY!

Can I sit on your lap?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)