ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Neocon" not to appear on the album Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 7th, 2005 09:55 PM
quackenbush I'm glad Neocon isn't going to be on the album. No matter how scathing it may be, I think it would be far too topical and wouldn't stand up to repeated listens. And angry, self- righteous, left-wing artists (Bruce Springsteen) are boring.
July 7th, 2005 09:58 PM
Soldatti Is this song real after all?
July 7th, 2005 10:37 PM
glencar Well, it was played for someone in LA last week.
July 7th, 2005 10:44 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Is this song real after all?

A complete stranger reading this board (especially psychiatrist)would put us all in the looney bin. We argue whether a "song without words" should be included on an Album with no name. We make up words to this song and have political disagreements (left, right, your choice) on whether it is politically correct for the band to use this song and will it help album sales. Oh, My!

Please! Please Rolling Stones put us out of our misery (a shot of Haldol) and give us some REAL NEWS! The question is whether or not we will recognize the truth when we finally hear it or has Paranoia set in?
[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
July 7th, 2005 10:50 PM
corgi37 I a leftie. Always will be. Just the term "conservative" chills my spine.

Highwire was a great song. Very relevant at the time, and very true. But, people didnt want to know. Didnt it get banned by the BBC?
July 7th, 2005 10:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Just the term "conservative" chills my spine.

Doesn't scare me at all. It really depends on what one is conserving. Even a "lefty" shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
July 7th, 2005 11:57 PM
glencar I'm a conservative. Unless they're still in school. Everyone should be liberal when they are just starting out.Just the idea of lefties makes me snicker.
July 8th, 2005 12:00 AM
texile quack:
>>And angry, self- righteous, left-wing artists (Bruce Springsteen) are boring.>>>
true quack, but the stones were never that lame -
jagger has sharp insights, and he's too removed to be self-righteous....but he's smarter than sting and all those fuckers put together, and honest.
'must be hell, living in the world like you....'
THAT'S honest.

July 8th, 2005 12:12 AM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Highwire was a great song. Very relevant at the time, and very true. But, people didnt want to know. Didnt it get banned by the BBC?

Yep, but got great airplay on the radio for a month. In US the song reached #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart during three weeks, the last Stones #1 on that chart so far.
July 8th, 2005 12:39 AM
glencar That was only because it was their last gasp. They've released 3 albums in the succeeding 15 years that contained any studio work & let's face it, we're past the age of mainstream rock here in America.
July 8th, 2005 02:12 AM
pdog
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
A complete stranger reading this board (especially psychiatrist)would put us all in the looney bin. We argue whether a "song without words" should be included on an Album with no name. We make up words to this song and have political disagreements (left, right, your choice) on whether it is politically correct for the band to use this song and will it help album sales. Oh, My!

Please! Please Rolling Stones put us out of our misery (a shot of Haldol) and give us some REAL NEWS! The question is whether or not we will recognize the truth when we finally hear it or has Paranoia set in?
[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]

July 8th, 2005 02:29 AM
The_Worst
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
I'm glad Neocon isn't going to be on the album. No matter how scathing it may be, I think it would be far too topical and wouldn't stand up to repeated listens. And angry, self- righteous, left-wing artists (Bruce Springsteen) are boring.

quackenbush: Well said!!! As someone who lives in New Jersey & hears Springsteen 24/7 the last thing I want is the Stones to start recording songs with Springsteen-like messages...One Bruce is enough!!!
July 8th, 2005 02:34 AM
blackandblue All this bullshit talk about left or right. Good music isn't left or right. It goes beyond political boundaries as all good art does. Otherwise it is just propaganda.
July 8th, 2005 04:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
I'm glad Neocon isn't going to be on the album. No matter how scathing it may be, I think it would be far too topical and wouldn't stand up to repeated listens. And angry, self- righteous, left-wing artists (Bruce Springsteen) are boring.

if you consider Bruce Springsteen "angry" and "left wing" then you should listen to a wider range of music and leave the US more.
July 8th, 2005 04:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I a leftie. Always will be. Just the term "conservative" chills my spine.

Well, I remember hearing it on the radio but I think they didnt play it much.

It came out during the Gulf War and at the time, the BBC got paranoid beyond all sense of reason and stuck temporary bans on ANYTHING that could be remotely twisted into something inappropriate. So, there was no "Rock The Casbah" and, believe it or not, no "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

Come to think of it, if it means banning Phil Collins, maybe we should invade Iraq more often....
July 8th, 2005 05:18 AM
Moonisup the stones are scared because their rich US audience would't buy their tix then! and the younger people who like it can't afford coming to a show
July 8th, 2005 05:19 AM
FotiniD "Banning" and "censorship" make me nauseous. There shouldn't be such limitations in music or any art form, imo.

And self-censoring??? What has gotten into them?

But PartyDoll MEG has a point there, we're going bananas for a few scattered lyrics and our whole hypothetical view of a song we haven't even listened to yet

How many more weeks till release?
July 8th, 2005 06:14 AM
Gazza Its funny that only about 4 or 5 song titles leaked out, one of them had supposedly 'controversial' lyrics and now a week later, before we even know the album title or the names of the rest of the songs, enough info has leaked out to suggest the song in question has been dropped.

Its quite obvious that either the Stones have chickened out or else someone advised them not to include it.

Regardless of the merits of the song and it's alleged content, unless the song was potentially libellous as "Claudine" was, its a sad reflection of how fucked up the music business and society is in general in 2005 that a band as powerful as The Rolling Stones feel obliged to not release a song either because some people feel 'threatened' by it or the band themselves are afraid it might affect sales.

I couldnt care less whether its a 'right wing' song or a 'left wing' song - thats not the point. What is galling is that the band rate a song worthy of release to the point where they shortlist it to be included on a record and then censor themselves or allow someone else to bully them into doing so.

To paraphrase John Belushi "what the fuck happened to the Stones I used to know?"

Wimps

[Edited by Gazza]
July 8th, 2005 06:38 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

the BBC got paranoid beyond all sense of reason and stuck temporary bans on ANYTHING that could be remotely twisted into something inappropriate... and, believe it or not, no "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

I always thought that "Coming In The Air Tonight" was about wanking!!!

July 8th, 2005 06:40 AM
blackandblue The man who sings is is a wanker without doubt
July 8th, 2005 06:42 AM
Gazza considering the source, it probably was!

It certainly wasnt about dropping bombs on people, though. But the Beeb considered the very title of the song potentially inflammatory at such a 'sensitive' time, so it was dropped from the playlists.

Then, unfortunately the war ended and it returned!
July 8th, 2005 06:42 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

To paraphrase John Belushi "what the fuck happened to the Stones I used to know?"

Wimps

Well, that holds true. They have changed. A lot.
July 8th, 2005 06:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
The man who sings is is a wanker without doubt

there have been many songs addressing that very subject that have slipped past the censors

"Turning Japanese" by the Vapors being a prime example.
July 8th, 2005 07:01 AM
Nellcote Gazza, the only caveat to that Bluto comment is he's not around to say it any longer. Too many hard gigs with Woody did him in...
July 8th, 2005 07:54 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the stones are scared because their rich US audience would't buy their tix then! and the younger people who like it can't afford coming to a show

A M E N! Dutch Rik is correct!

And you know what......THEY DON'T HAVE GUTS ENOUGH.....

I just can't believe what I am reading.....Don't worry, Keith is gonna be knighted soon......

After all, what the fuss is all about....the older version of themselves reminds me the young Beatles, after all, they are far away from being BAD BOYS.......

This sicken me......The Stones censoring their own material....

"I'm a lonesome school boy....."
July 8th, 2005 07:58 AM
Jumacfly amen to that too Jay..what a pity...
the bad boys of rock n roll are dead for a long long time...
I m sure black eyed peas got more balls than the Stones nowadays.... I m sick too!
July 8th, 2005 08:25 AM
blackandblue we all get sick. Let's close this board.
July 8th, 2005 08:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
we all get sick. Let's close this board.

LOL...we could open a vomit board instead
July 8th, 2005 08:54 AM
Jair
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the stones are scared because their rich US audience would't buy their tix then! and the younger people who like it can't afford coming to a show

Very well said.
A rock n' roll band playing for conservative people is just the end of the world.
Conservative people should look for other kind of fun, like bowling...

July 8th, 2005 12:20 PM
FPM C10 I'm disappointed that the song seems to have been excised from the album, for whatever reason. I remain hopeful that it will be released as a b-side, like the great b-sides from the Voodoo Lounge sessions. However, just the fact that it exists is validation enough for me. Don't know why they would single out Condoleeeeeza for ridicule, though - Steve Earle's already done it (and if that's what "Neocon" is actually about, that is perhaps the real reason for its exclusion)and the really sickening hypocrisy is further up the ladder. Condi is just a "yes man".

One with a VERY small penis, admittedly, but a yes man nonetheless.

The idea that liberalism is exclusively the realm of the young is ridiculous. Jesus was a liberal well into his 30s, and the founding fathers clung to their crazy liberal idealism into their dotage.

Just the thought of neocons calling themselves "conservatives" makes me snicker.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)