ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Neocon" not to appear on the album Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
July 8th, 2005 12:39 PM
Jair
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I'm disappointed that the song seems to have been excised from the album, for whatever reason. I remain hopeful that it will be released as a b-side, like the great b-sides from the Voodoo Lounge sessions. However, just the fact that it exists is validation enough for me. Don't know why they would single out Condoleeeeeza for ridicule, though - Steve Earle's already done it (and if that's what "Neocon" is actually about, that is perhaps the real reason for its exclusion)and the really sickening hypocrisy is further up the ladder. Condi is just a "yes man".

One with a VERY small penis, admittedly, but a yes man nonetheless.

The idea that liberalism is exclusively the realm of the young is ridiculous. Jesus was a liberal well into his 30s, and the founding fathers clung to their crazy liberal idealism into their dotage.

Just the thought of neocons calling themselves "conservatives" makes me snicker.

I don't understand why you are so PROVOCATIVE.

July 8th, 2005 12:49 PM
glencar
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the stones are scared because their rich US audience would't buy their tix then! and the younger people who like it can't afford coming to a show

Now that's just stupid. Most tickets have already been sold & even though many of us wouldn't have liked the song if it attacked the US, we still would have gone to the shows. I thought Highwire was a dumb song but I still bought Flashpoint.
July 8th, 2005 12:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Just the thought of neocons calling themselves "conservatives" makes me snicker.

Really. Just about as conservative as Trotsky their role model and "intellectual" hero.

Sure Condi is a "yes man." Big Oil owns her lock, stock and barrell.
July 8th, 2005 01:04 PM
Moonisup lots of tickets have gone to sponsors
buy a new house, and get 2 stones tickets. It can't get any worse and it's sad
[Edited by Moonisup]
July 8th, 2005 01:09 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
lots of tickets have gone to sponsors
buy a new house, and get 2 stones tickets. It can't get any worse and it's sad
[Edited by Moonisup]

man this is going on for years. Remember the Voodoo Lounge tour: one could buy a Voodoo Lounge car. I predict it will get worse.
July 8th, 2005 01:14 PM
glencar How is that sad? I can think nothing would be nicer than buying a new home & ending up with 2 tix to a rock concert.
July 8th, 2005 01:15 PM
KeepRigid I think I was more upset that 'So Young' didn't make it onto Voodoo Lounge. Goddamn, that was a great song.

This is a case where the idea sounds really bad in theory, but in reality, who are we kidding? It's not 1968, and most people would probably just roll their eyes if the Rolling Stones suddenly came out trying to be political. It would be seen as little more than a publicity stunt by a bunch of rich old guys.

I don't want Mick to be the next instant expert on the history of psychiatry. Just roll the damn clip.
[Edited by KeepRigid]
July 8th, 2005 01:17 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
glencar wrote:
How is that sad? I can think nothing would be nicer than buying a new home & ending up with 2 tix to a rock concert.

now I understand your nick 'agent provocateur' !
July 8th, 2005 01:18 PM
glencar Took you long enough!
July 8th, 2005 01:20 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
glencar wrote:
Took you long enough!

no only 86 posts
July 8th, 2005 01:26 PM
glencar Just kidding ya!
July 8th, 2005 01:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Took you long enough!

I claim responsibility for that 'tag'

I thought it suited the little fucker just perfectly. LOL

July 8th, 2005 02:05 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I am thankful that i have avoided a tag for this long!
July 8th, 2005 02:30 PM
Poplar
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
I think I was more upset that 'So Young' didn't make it onto Voodoo Lounge. Goddamn, that was a great song.

JUMP ON TOP OF ME!
July 8th, 2005 04:39 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL I liked it too; the French aprt is the funniest aspect.
July 8th, 2005 05:26 PM
pdog
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I am thankful that i have avoided a tag for this long!

How does one get tagged?
July 8th, 2005 05:29 PM
glencar 10K posts, I believe. Or you could send Gazza some whiskey.
July 9th, 2005 07:29 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:

Now that's just stupid. Most tickets have already been sold & even though many of us wouldn't have liked the song if it attacked the US, we still would have gone to the shows. I thought Highwire was a dumb song but I still bought Flashpoint.

attacking that evil bitch Condoleeza ain't attacking the US...she and her neocon ilk are as unAmerican as can be and have helped render this once great nation barely recognizable
July 9th, 2005 08:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

I wouldnt blame anyone for being pissed off at a song that attacked their COUNTRY, but from what I've heard about the song, thats not the case and I dont think the Stones would be like that anyway. Its not their style.

The main issue really is what it says about the Stones, the music industry and society in general. The band obviously felt strongly enough to write the song and felt it good enough to be on the shortlist for their record. They played it to a few people and now apparently its not on the album which suggests they got some feedback that suggested it may not go down so well with a certain over-sensitive section of the public, so it seems to be dropped either by pressure or advice from others or else theyve taken the decision themselves.

Its pretty fucked up that anyone feels threatened by something as insignificant as a piece of rock music to the extent where it can be twisted by some into making the artist akin to some kind of public enemy.

If things had been like that throughout the last 40 years, think how many great songs by the Stones and others we'd never have got the chance to have heard
July 9th, 2005 09:36 AM
charlotte Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "Son, don't you understand"

I had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.

proof that many don't understand or care about lyrics, look how many viewed this tune form The Boss as patriotic!

[Edited by charlotte]
July 9th, 2005 09:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
charlotte wrote:
proof that many don't understand or care about lyrics, look how many viewed this tune form The Boss as patriotic!

Well, what's "patriotic", following the next demogogue off to the next war?
July 9th, 2005 11:03 AM
glencar Gazza, as I said, I'm not thrilled to see songs that attack Condi Rice or anyone in the present admin but that wouldn't stop me from buying the new CD or going to the shows. It would become the new "bathroom song" for many of us. And it's just possible that the song isn't as good as they initially thought it would be.
July 9th, 2005 11:47 AM
charlotte
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well, what's "patriotic", following the next demogogue off to the next war?

Obviously many do...but the point was that many could not get passed the chorus line...
July 9th, 2005 11:52 AM
Moonisup I seem to agree with gary a lot these days, maybe we could start a romance
July 9th, 2005 12:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I seem to agree with gary a lot these days, maybe we could start a romance

you never know.
its that cute little quiff of yours that gets me every time, Rik...
July 9th, 2005 12:58 PM
telecaster Rik if I get you Chuck's autograph will you remove that pic
of Mick with the pail and shorts?

Please.....
July 9th, 2005 01:09 PM
KeepRigid Early reports said that on "some of the songs" Mick sang "surprisingly strong" about US politics. Perhaps they realized that hitting people over the head with obvious shit isn't exactly subversive?

For all we know, there's a great rocker in there about the Bush twins.

July 9th, 2005 01:25 PM
texile some of the more "conservative" among us seem a bit relieved 'neocon' will be left off......
well, happy for you, but i'm disgusted at this chickenshit decision.
July 9th, 2005 01:37 PM
rocker Come on guys, ease up.

What makes the rolling stones the worlds greatest rock n roll band is not their abilty to make political statements; they've rarely sought to do that, and its not thier particular strong suit.

What makes them the greatest rock n roll band is thier abilty to rock out. There's no need for them to be Bob Dylan wanna be's, just freakin rock out.

I know this post will dissapoint the liberals, but take your disgust over to keno's page, and let the rest of us have a break from all of the poltical hot air.
July 9th, 2005 07:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
rocker wrote:
Come on guys, ease up.

What makes the rolling stones the worlds greatest rock n roll band is not their abilty to make political statements; they've rarely sought to do that, and its not thier particular strong suit.

What makes them the greatest rock n roll band is thier abilty to rock out. There's no need for them to be Bob Dylan wanna be's, just freakin rock out.

I know this post will dissapoint the liberals, but take your disgust over to keno's page, and let the rest of us have a break from all of the poltical hot air.

For a start, Bob Dylan's a lot more subtle politically than that.

being a 'liberal' (or not) in this case is completely irrelevant and something I personally dont give a fuck about. Being 'relieved' because a song that doesnt fit your political worldview gets dropped is your own choice and from that perspective anyone should respect that. However it misses the point. I couldnt give a shit from what 'side' the song is written.

The supposed political angle of the song in question is not the issue. The Stones losing their bottle is.

You list a couple of things that 'made the Stones the greatest rock n roll band' . Some other things that 'made the Stones the greatest rock n roll band' was having some balls ,a rebellious attitude and being uncomprising in what they say.

Its quite clear that they are now a million miles removed from all of that. As a long time fan, I find that an indictment of what they stand for these days.

And as for your last remark, as I'm one of the 'fans' pissed at the band wimping out, you're not only assuming you know my political stance but also asking me to leave my own board and post on keno's instead?

Its not a question of "political hot air" like some other threads here are. Its completely Stones-related and solely to do with a band decision on whether to include a certain song on a record. If anyone's twisting anyone's views on whether or not the band should be censored or censor themselves into a conservative/liberal/left wing argument, then they're missing the point of why some people are pissed at the band's apparent lack of balls.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)