ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Gimme another chance please, I can play the drums babies
© 1970 Michael Putland with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New album: burn, don't buy Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
June 29th, 2005 12:54 PM
Saint Sway stealing music is wrong. Even if in Robin Hood cases like stealing from insanely rich artists like the Stones.

seriously. Don't do it. Don't steal music. Its not acceptable on any level.

besides I know of no true fan that cannot do without having the actual CD and its case and artwork in their hands on the day its released. Its part of the fun. That moment of pleasure is completely lost on burning a cd and will never be replaced.

DON'T STEAL MUSIC
June 29th, 2005 01:00 PM
glencar I don't ahve a problem with downloading outtakes & unreleased material but yes, stealing the new CD would be...stealing.
June 29th, 2005 02:02 PM
MrPleasant People who are used to burning will probably do it again.

However, this is probably the last RS studio album, and that alone deserves some extra cash.
June 29th, 2005 02:08 PM
wisertime BUY the new album (if it's good)
DON'T BUY tickets (too expensive, don't worth the price for stadium shows)

June 29th, 2005 02:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Some people are so cheap! Buy the damn thing.

agreed, as a musician, i agree that the official releases should be bought. Just because I am upset that gas prices have been going up up up up up, should I get revenge on the gas stations by stealing coffee and windsheild wiper fluid? A truly immature and uneducated suggestion.

Not buying the cd does not just affect Mick, Keith, and co. You are hurting your local record store's business, taking work away from the assembly line employee who is working his ass off to get the cd's packaged and sent out on time in usually terrible conditions, deducting royalties for the artists that design the cover, etc by illegally obtaining it.

You want to get back at the stones for overcharging you for a ticket, organize a book burning, call in to your local radio station to complain on the air, write letters, turn your back on the band, but dont resort to petty crime. And since you are pubically calling for group theft on a well known chat board, I am sure you have put yourself at legal risk.

If you would like advise, ask jb as he is a "lawyer's lawyer" and can advise you, for a fee of course, how to avoid potential legal trouble.
June 29th, 2005 02:18 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Some people are so cheap! Buy the damn thing.

Better Yet ...............

Just play the Friggin Tracks

Frig Yeah !!!!!

Sassy !
June 29th, 2005 02:34 PM
twicks1 [seriously. Don't do it. Don't steal music. Its not acceptable on any level.

I disagree...burning CDs for friends is the best way to turn them on to new bands and new music. It's good for everyone, including the artist. I've burned CDs for plenty of people who have gone on to see the band live, buy their other CDs, etc.

This is entirely separate from my "burn the new Stones CD" campaign...that's purely to save $10 (which doesn't even cover the service charge I paid for my Columbus ticket).
June 29th, 2005 02:40 PM
Joey [quote]twicks1 wrote:
disagree...burning CDs for friends is the best way to turn them on to new bands and new music. It's good for everyone, including the artist. "

Damn Straight my little Stonescicle ..........

A buddy of mine burned me a CD by some band called , " THE KILLERS " ( Hot Fuss ) and man is it GOOD !!!!!!

... I highly recommend this one .

Joe Sea Scroll !
June 29th, 2005 02:42 PM
voodoopug
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
[seriously. Don't do it. Don't steal music. Its not acceptable on any level.

I disagree...burning CDs for friends is the best way to turn them on to new bands and new music. It's good for everyone, including the artist. I've burned CDs for plenty of people who have gone on to see the band live, buy their other CDs, etc.

This is entirely separate from my "burn the new Stones CD" campaign...that's purely to save $10 (which doesn't even cover the service charge I paid for my Columbus ticket).

Sadly, you have posted this on a site with plenty of musicians that regularly post. THis is criminal activity and I fear this may lead to additional, what may seem at first petty, crime.
June 29th, 2005 02:44 PM
Joey " The mystery of the un-flushed doody is being sent to the cold case files. The other day a mystery turd was found floating in a toilet in the KROCK bathroom and Professional TV Viewer JD Harmeyer told Howard he believed the doody had come from Crazy Cabbie. Cabbie angrily denied the accusation on the air, but Howard wanted the doody sent out for DNA testing. Today, unfortunately, super producer Will Murray came back with the news that every DNA testing place he had talked to said you cannot extract DNA from doody. One place told him there was less than a 15% chance they'd be able to get DNA from the crap and another place told him there was a 0% chance. That same place told Will that there is so little DNA in doody, they couldn't even tell from tests if the turd came from an animal or a human. Howard found that unbelievable. He guesses that means he can commit a crime and leave a doody behind without fear of being caught. Howard told the guys to get rid of the sample we have in the back and then added he bet Batman would be able to find out whose doody that was with all his high-tech gadgetry. Howard joked that we need "Doody Detective". "

http://www.howardstern.com/today-show-archive.php

[ Edited by Baby Joe ]

[Edited by Joey]
June 29th, 2005 02:47 PM
twicks1
quote:
Just because I am upset that gas prices have been going up up up up up, should I get revenge on the gas stations by stealing coffee and windsheild wiper fluid?

Bad analogy.

June 29th, 2005 02:49 PM
Joey
" Just because I am upset that gas prices have been going up up up up up, should I get revenge on the gas stations by stealing coffee and windsheild wiper fluid? "

I once took a Dump at a Gas Station ( circa 1974 )
June 29th, 2005 02:52 PM
MrPleasant Joey, what happened with the mysterious doody?
June 29th, 2005 02:55 PM
twicks1
quote:
Sadly, you have posted this on a site with plenty of musicians that regularly post. THis is criminal activity and I fear this may lead to additional, what may seem at first petty, crime.

As a fellow musician, I am pleased when people I know burn my CDs for their friends. It means they will probably come to more of my band's shows (and pay the cover charge every time, or maybe buy a T-shirt, or buy a different CD of ours)...which equates to more money than I would have seen from the CD sale alone.

This is how it works for major artists (like the Stones), too. Your pal burns you the disc, you like it, you pay to see the band live, buy their other discs, etc. Maybe the record store loses out on the sale, but someone else (your local venue) benefits instead. The music industry rolls on...

June 29th, 2005 02:56 PM
pdog
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Here's an idea: Anyone who thinks the Stones ticket prices are beyond outrageous should make an effort to burn the new album from a friend or someone on the board here.

I know as uber-fans there may be some temptation to have the actual artwork, etc. But this could be your last chance to get anything from the Stones for FREE. It's only $15 or so...but it's something.

Just a thought.
[Edited by twicks1]

I don't steal and only a fool brags about stealing.
June 29th, 2005 02:57 PM
Nellcote Hey Twix, it's called capitalism.
You want to burn, deal with it
Others want to buy, deal with it
You do not like surcharges, don't buy the tickets
While freedom of thought towards what the Stones want to do with their product is certainly your perogative, it is becoming seemingly clear that the pendulum of the law is swinging against your train...
June 29th, 2005 03:01 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Hey Twix, it's called capitalism.
You want to burn, deal with it
Others want to buy, deal with it
You do not like surcharges, don't buy the tickets
While freedom of thought towards what the Stones want to do with their product is certainly your perogative, it is becoming seemingly clear that the pendulum of the law is swinging against your train...

I like Boston's chances of winning the World Series Again .....

....Er , this year !

[ Edited by Sammy ]

[Edited by Joey]
June 29th, 2005 03:03 PM
twicks1 Anyone who has ever purchased, traded, shared or downloaded a Stones studio outtake or live show that was not an official release has been party to an illegal activity as well.

I happen to believe that this "illegal activity" doesn't hurt the artist, but benefits them in the long run by creating a greater interest in their recorded work and live shows. Just like burning CDs.

June 29th, 2005 03:07 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Just because I am upset that gas prices have been going up up up up up, should I get revenge on the gas stations by stealing coffee and windsheild wiper fluid? "

I once took a Dump at a Gas Station ( circa 1974 )

Me too! I was on my way to see Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at Atlantic City.

Gas was MUCH cheaper then.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was the day Nixon resigned! And that fat loaf David Crosby was the one that told me (and a few thousand other people) about it!

Hey, far OUT, man!
June 29th, 2005 03:17 PM
FPM C10
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Anyone who has ever purchased, traded, shared or downloaded a Stones studio outtake or live show that was not an official release has been party to an illegal activity as well.

A great man - who is smart enough to release his own bootlegs and put current live songs up on his official website - once said "To live outside the law you must be honest." That applies here.

quote:
twicks1 wrote:
I happen to believe that this "illegal activity" doesn't hurt the artist, but benefits them in the long run by creating a greater interest in their recorded work and live shows. Just like burning CDs.

At this point in the Stones' career, such an argument is fairly laughable. People listen to and trade live boots - of the Stones or Dave Matthews or Phish or whoever - because they're obsessed with the band and have already devoted a fair chunk of their lives to them. I shouldn't include Phish because they release their own bootlegs too.

And burning officially-released CDs is stealing, no two ways about it. Your argument has the same stink about it as any statement that begins "I'm not a racist - some of my best friends are n*****s "
June 29th, 2005 03:22 PM
twicks1
quote:
People listen to and trade live boots - of the Stones or Dave Matthews or Phish or whoever - because they're obsessed with the band and have already devoted a fair chunk of their lives to them.

I'm sure this is true of many people on this board. However, no one is born with a Rolling Stones obsession; somebody, somewhere turns them onto the Stones. And for lots of folks these days (especially younger people), this involves borrowing and burning their friends' CDs.
June 29th, 2005 03:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
twicks1 wrote:

As a fellow musician, I am pleased when people I know burn my CDs for their friends. It means they will probably come to more of my band's shows (and pay the cover charge every time, or maybe buy a T-shirt, or buy a different CD of ours)...which equates to more money than I would have seen from the CD sale alone.

This is how it works for major artists (like the Stones), too. Your pal burns you the disc, you like it, you pay to see the band live, buy their other discs, etc. Maybe the record store loses out on the sale, but someone else (your local venue) benefits instead. The music industry rolls on...

sadly, you are not looking big picture. It is not just the record store that loses out. on the level that my band is at, yes, i love it when my cd is burned and passed around. But for a band that is represented by a major label, with powerful attorneys, and no need for fans that cheap, it does not help. Face reality: If someone is unsure if they will spend up to $450 for a face value ticket, does saving $15 make a difference to them? Fact is, in this scenario, it is criminal activity, and those bragging about it here have lost my respect and shall not be greeted. jb, joey, and The Pug do not tolerate crime!
[Edited by voodoopug]
June 29th, 2005 03:41 PM
twicks1
quote:
If someone is unsure if they will spend up to $450 for a face value ticket, does saving $15 make a difference to them?

I'm sorry, I can't make heads or tails of this sentence.

What I think you mean to say is, spending another $15 isn't a big deal for the people who can afford to spend $450 on a face-value ticket. I am not one of these people...hence, my intentions to burn the new Stones disc and save $15.
[Edited by twicks1]
June 29th, 2005 03:43 PM
voodoopug
quote:
twicks1 wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't make heads or tails of this sentence.

What I think you mean to say is, $15 probably doesn't make a big difference to the people who can afford to spend $450 on a face-value ticket. I am not one of these people...hence, my intentions to burn the new Stones disc and save $15.

It means, that no matter how hard one tries, you cannot create a rational arguement to show that crime is a benefit to the the community. Crime does not pay.

June 29th, 2005 03:44 PM
Cactus Ed I have enough coasters so there is no need to burn or buy.
June 29th, 2005 04:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Anyone who has ever purchased, traded, shared or downloaded a Stones studio outtake or live show that was not an official release has been party to an illegal activity as well.

In the case of trading or sharing a live show, thats not strictly true.

neither is buying strictly illegal, I would imagine.

I have a tape in my collection of Jagger buying Stones bootlegs in a NYC record store in August 1975.

If it comes down to it, that'll be Exhibit A in my defence
June 29th, 2005 04:12 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Me too! I was on my way to see Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at Atlantic City.

Gas was MUCH cheaper then.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was the day Nixon resigned! And that fat loaf David Crosby was the one that told me (and a few thousand other people) about it!

Hey, far OUT, man!

I love that story .
June 29th, 2005 04:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

I love that story .

Dont Steal.

June 29th, 2005 04:38 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

I love that story .

1974 was ALL about the sideburns, man!
June 29th, 2005 04:39 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

1974 was ALL about the sideburns, man!

Cool Photo
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)