ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Gimme another chance please, I can play the drums babies
© 1970 Michael Putland with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New album: burn, don't buy Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
June 29th, 2005 10:42 AM
twicks1 Here's an idea: Anyone who thinks the Stones ticket prices are beyond outrageous should make an effort to burn the new album from a friend or someone on the board here.

I know as uber-fans there may be some temptation to have the actual artwork, etc. But this could be your last chance to get anything from the Stones for FREE. It's only $15 or so...but it's something.

Just a thought.
[Edited by twicks1]
June 29th, 2005 10:47 AM
jb
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Here's an idea: Anyone who thinks the Stones ticket prices are beyond outrageous should make an effort to burn the new album from a friend or someone on the board here.

I know as uber-fans there may some some temptation to have the actual artwork, etc. But this may be your last chance to get something Stones-related for FREE. It's only $15 or so...but it's something.

Just a thought.

If it is released on a down week, it can hit #1. That would be great.
June 29th, 2005 10:50 AM
twicks1 Um, that wasn't exactly my point.
June 29th, 2005 10:52 AM
jb
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Um, that wasn't exactly my point.

I understand...but burning it will result in less sales...
June 29th, 2005 10:54 AM
GimmeExile Buy the album. It will only be $9.99 at Best Buy and Circuit City during the week of its release.
June 29th, 2005 10:55 AM
twicks1 Sorry...but after paying $95 for my Columbus ticket, I'm entitled to preach a little tough love this time out. The Stones will survive without another $10 from me.
[Edited by twicks1]
June 29th, 2005 11:00 AM
jb
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Sorry...but after paying $95 for my Columbus ticket, I'm entitled to preach a little tough love this time out. The Stones will survive without another $10 from me.
[Edited by twicks1]

Columbus sales ?
June 29th, 2005 11:04 AM
GimmeExile You only bought a $95 for Columbus? I can see if you had bought a $350 ticket...

I'm asking you as a Stones fan to please purchase the album. We need the sales numbers. Otherwise, we'll hear jb report that Rob Thomas sold more albums than the Stones.
June 29th, 2005 11:06 AM
jb
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
You only bought a $95 for Columbus? I can see if you had bought a $350 ticket...

I'm asking you as a Stones fan to please purchase the album. We need the sales numbers. Otherwise, we'll hear jb report that Rob Thomas sold more albums than the Stones.

$95 isn't bad....
June 29th, 2005 11:10 AM
twicks1 Sorry...It's my opinion that this obsession with staying #1 (at least in the area of tour revenue) is the root of the Stones' whole dilemma:

- insanely high ticket prices
- aging fan base (the only ones who can afford the prices)
- warhorses-heavy setlists (to satisfy fans who have paid the high prices)
- failure to cultivate young fans (who would be the ones to preserve their legacy years from now)

Yeah, $95 isn't bad...and my seat location sucks. That's not coincidence.

[Edited by twicks1]
[Edited by twicks1]
June 29th, 2005 11:13 AM
jb
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Sorry...It's my opinion that this obsession with staying #1 (at least in the area of tour revenue) is the root of the Stones' whole dilemma:

- failure to cultivate young fans (who would be the ones to preserve their legacy years from now)

Yeah, $95 isn't bad...and my seat SUCKS. Coincidence?

Some good points...particularly the lack of younger fan base. They made that decision some time ago and simply don't care.

[Edited by twicks1]

June 29th, 2005 11:16 AM
Pierre Well, buy it or burn it...

The Stones don't sell records lol (B2B in France less 100.000 units)
June 29th, 2005 11:21 AM
twicks1 What's ironic is that I am much more excited for the new album than the tour. I still enjoy listening to "Voodoo Lounge" and "Bridges to Babylon," long after my memories from attending those respective tours have faded.

We are all very fortunate that, unlike the price of their concert tickets, the Stones can't really decide how much their new CD will sell for.
June 29th, 2005 11:21 AM
KeithRichards I'll buy it of course.
But it's a dilemma - shall I buy the version that comes out first? Or wait a week to get the version with the DVD?
Seems like I'll end up buying both (
June 29th, 2005 11:23 AM
jb
quote:
KeithRichards wrote:
I'll buy it of course.
But it's a dilemma - shall I buy the version that comes out first? Or wait a week to get the version with the DVD?
Seems like I'll end up buying both (

They need to release it soon..hopefully it will be great and get some momentum back in this already deflated tour.
June 29th, 2005 11:26 AM
KeithRichards They are making a fortune with the high ticket prices, and on the shows that don't sell, they simply lower the prices.
Don't see a problem there, I think they will eventually all sell out. But an early release of the new album will sure be helpfull.
June 29th, 2005 11:37 AM
GimmeExile
quote:
Pierre wrote:

The Stones don't sell records lol (B2B in France less 100.000 units)

Is that correct?
June 29th, 2005 11:39 AM
gimmekeef Buy,burn or download....I'll take whichever way I can get it the fastest...Too bad they didnt do like some artists (Bowie or Prince?) and give one with each ticket purchased.Or at least send one to fan club members for their $100....but NO....Greed will win the day!
June 29th, 2005 11:40 AM
Madafaka
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Sorry...but after paying $95 for my Columbus ticket, I'm entitled to preach a little tough love this time out.

If $95 is too much for you to see live the greatest r&r band in the whole world, try with another one! Go and buy tickets to see Spice Girls!
Remember, Stones are too expensives for your wallet.

And of course, I'll buy the next cd. And the follow too.
June 29th, 2005 11:45 AM
Quarter Tone Burning it vs. not burning it is not so much for me an issue of getting back at the Stones for high ticket prices; it's an issue of not wanting to spend money on something that may be very poor value. The four new songs on 40 licks were so-so at best, Live Licks was the worst official live album ever released by a major rock band......... basically, i'm not going to blindly purchase an official release from the Stones ever again because i just don't trust them anymore.
June 29th, 2005 11:51 AM
FPM C10 My opinion doesn't make a lot of sense, perhaps, but I think the tour and the album are two different things. I'm really pissed about everything concerning the tour SO FAR (although once it starts, if they kick everyone's ass as usual I'll probably forget my sour grapes). However, I think everyone should BUY the album. Even though chart position is meaningless these days, I know they would like to go out on top. And as much as they piss me off, they're still MY band and have been practically my whole life.

I guess one reason I feel that way is that Charlie said he wanted a #1 in that Ed Bradley interview from '94. And if Charlie wants it, that's a good enough reason for me.

Then there's the whole "stealing is wrong" thing.
June 29th, 2005 11:53 AM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
My opinion doesn't make a lot of sense, perhaps, but I think the tour and the album are two different things. I'm really pissed about everything concerning the tour SO FAR (although once it starts, if they kick everyone's ass as usual I'll probably forget my sour grapes). However, I think everyone should BUY the album. Even though chart position is meaningless these days, I know they would like to go out on top. And as much as they piss me off, they're still MY band and have been practically my whole life.

I guess one reason I feel that way is that Charlie said he wanted a #1 in that Ed Bradley interview from '94. And if Charlie wants it, that's a good enough reason for me.

Then there's the whole "stealing is wrong" thing.

Agree..................................do it for Charlie!!!

June 29th, 2005 11:55 AM
Joey [quote]twicks1 wrote:
Here's an idea: Anyone who thinks the Stones ticket prices are beyond outrageous should make an effort to burn the new album from a friend or someone on the board here.

Just a thought. "

....twicks1 be thinkin' too much

Joey " IKE " Turner

June 29th, 2005 12:04 PM
jb I think it is a personal matter which each person must evaluate for himself..this is certainly the last tour and we will never see them perform again...it is the end of the greatest run in rock history, albeit, a disappointing one for the last 25 yrs....
June 29th, 2005 12:12 PM
Joey

< ------I think it is a personal matter which each person must evaluate for himself..this is certainly the last tour and we will never see them perform again...it is the end of the greatest run in rock history, albeit, a disappointing one for the last 25 yrs.... "
June 29th, 2005 12:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Buy,burn or download....I'll take whichever way I can get it the fastest...Too bad they didnt do like some artists (Bowie or Prince?) and give one with each ticket purchased.Or at least send one to fan club members for their $100....but NO....Greed will win the day!

Well, they 'gave' away a copy of "40 Licks" with the fan club membership on the last tour (valid after you'd bought tickets of course..)

Of course, it usually arrived some time later and many of us ended up with about 5 copies, but still..!
June 29th, 2005 12:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
What's ironic is that I am much more excited for the new album than the tour. I still enjoy listening to "Voodoo Lounge" and "Bridges to Babylon," long after my memories from attending those respective tours have faded.

We are all very fortunate that, unlike the price of their concert tickets, the Stones can't really decide how much their new CD will sell for.

Only a matter of time.

Besides, theres a way round that. Release multiple versions of it, each with different 'extra features' and there'll be quite a few people who will buy every one of them.

How many versions and packages are there now of "40 Licks"? There must be about four.
June 29th, 2005 12:27 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Sorry...It's my opinion that this obsession with staying #1 (at least in the area of tour revenue) is the root of the Stones' whole dilemma:

Yeah, $95 isn't bad...and my seat location sucks. That's not coincidence.

You have very good points on the obsession of staying #1 in terms of revenues, especially tour revenues! The Stones have had a big responsability in pushing the concert prices in this endless upward spiral...

But then, if you can afford $95 for a ticket, why refuse to pay a measly tenth of that sum for a CD? I'm sure there are many Stonesfans, very young or jobless, who can't even afford nosebleed tickets, and just sigh and get the CD.

And as Fleabit pointed out, you're basically stealing when you burn copies of officially released CDs. Just wait for the extra features one if you don't want to buy it several times...
June 29th, 2005 12:43 PM
gimmekeef Gazza.. I was a member back then and never received anything...hmmmmmmmmmm....oh well....
June 29th, 2005 12:49 PM
glencar Some people are so cheap! Buy the damn thing.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)