ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: hit me for 2000... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
April 20th, 2004 08:00 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
The Hebrew Hammer -
http://www.thehebrewhammer.com/

thanx for the link jb - i don't think this was ever released here - i certainly don't recall it - if,however, i do come across it i will certainly take it in

are those Jewish Justice League knit caps still available??
April 20th, 2004 08:06 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
egon wrote:

would you feel for me if you got there before me?

again,egon,no...if i do you only have yourself to blame as i note you are almost there
April 21st, 2004 05:57 AM
egon true.

but you are doing very well i must say.
do you think i'm doing well as well?
April 21st, 2004 07:36 AM
Jumacfly Egon, you do well too, no doubt about that!
April 21st, 2004 08:06 AM
egon yes... indeed!

is there anything you want to ask me? anything at all...
April 21st, 2004 10:29 AM
scratched What do you think about the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre?
April 21st, 2004 08:25 PM
Mr Jimmy
Hannalee wrote:
Since when has Canada been a republic?

quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
our canadian friends will know better - but wasn't it sometime in the '70s - i really don't know??

I'm far from an expert on this but...

Canada isn't a Republic. Technically, It's a Parliamentary Democracy and it's based on the British Parliamentary form of government. We officially became the Dominion of Canada in 1867 when the British Government passed the British North America Act. We, along with every other Dominion, achieved full independence with the Statute of Westminster in 1931. I think your reference to the 70's is alluding to 1982 when our Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau "brought home" our Constitution. This formally severed all Constitutional ties with the United Kingdom.

Hey. I kept it brief!

April 21st, 2004 09:31 PM
stonedinaustralia well Mr.Jimmy i defer to your obvious greater knowledge but who is the head of State of Canada?? - as you say yourself all constitutional ties with Britain have been severed but is the reigning monarch of Britain your head of state as she is ours - the Statute of Westminster notwithstanding we are not completely independent of Britain - certainly the Brits no longer have any control over our law making procedures but the English Monarch is our head of State - with our Governor General (in the federal instance) and the various Governors (on a State level)who promulgate legislation being her "representatives" - i don't recall there being a home grown King/Queen of Canada - is their some Governor or something??

actually, it's just occurred to me - when keith was prosecuted in Canada the law reports referred to the case as Regina v Richards (Regina being the Queen of course) so maybe she is still your head of state
or at least she was in the '70s

i'm getting confused - i think i'll have to check out some website to find out - i'll report back

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
April 21st, 2004 09:36 PM
stonedinaustralia i stand corrected - Canada is still a constitutional monarchy and the Queen is still the head of state-

see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/fact_06e.html

what i think i may have been thinking of was that Canada changed her flag so as to lose the Union jack - which still forms part of our flag
April 21st, 2004 11:27 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i don't recall there being a home grown King/Queen of Canada - is their some Governor or something??

Yes. We have a Governor General who is officially appointed by the Queen although selected by our Prime Minister. Because we are a bilingual nation, the position usually alternates between a French and non-French Canadian. Currently, the position is held by a former CBC TV host named Adrienne Clarkson and she spends most of her time performing symbolic duties such as attending functions for visiting world leaders. Some people want the position abolished because they feel she serves no purpose while gobbling up 19 million dollars a year flying around to various events where she can drink champagne and chat about Canada. Nice work if you can get it. Of course, she is technically responsible for promulgation but I'd be willing to bet that most Canadians have never even heard of the word.

As for our flag, the Canadian Red Ensign which included the Union Jack was replaced by the Maple Leaf flag in 1965. I would include a graphic, but flag waving is very un-Canadian, or so I've been told.

And now back to your original reply and the importance of cricket re affinity. I dug this up from the archives:

By Ed Waring Globe and Mail May 26/75

Ê
Franklyn Dennis, an immigrant from Jamaica, defied the best bowling Australia could offer to lead the Eastern Canadian team to a five-wicket victory in an international cricket match at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club Saturday.

Dennis, a welder by trade and three years in Canada, plays for the Toronto West Indians.Ê In the blistering heat, he held his wicket for an hour and 49 minutes and scored 57 runs, including the game winning four-run boundary.

It was a stunning upset and didnÕt go down well with the Australian side, which is en-route to England to play in the World Cup of Cricket.Ê Ian Chappell, captain of the visitors, would only make one comment, Òon the day we lost to the better side.Ó

Yesterday the tourist beat an Ontario side 276-177.Ê Ontario, fighting for a draw, had its goal in sight with only five overs left when Robert McCatty was run out.Ê The Ontario side lost its opening batsman, Vic Walker, early in the match.Ê Walker had scored 20 runs when he was hit on the head by a fast ball delivered by Jeff Thompson.

ThompsonÕs delivery hit the matting in front of Walker and bounced up striking the Ontario player on the head.Ê He was taken to hospital and released after examination.

Australian national teams have played 72 matches in Canada and SaturdayÕs win was only the second in 42 years for the Canadians.Ê The previous victory was in 1932 when a British Columbia team won against a team that included Sir Donald Bradman, considered one of the best batsmen in the sport.

The biggest disappointment was Dennis Lillee, the Australian fast bowler who took only one Wicket.Ê Considered the fastest bowler in the sports today. Lillee went at half space for the 16 overs he bowled.Ê He refused to discuss his performance but there were reasons for his off play.Ê He was either protecting a sore back, which he injured during the Australian season or he was taking it easy in the preparation for the World Cup Matches.
The first shock of the game came early when Australia lost a wicket with only one run on the board.Ê Opening bat Rick McCusker was caught by Marshall Desouza.Ê The second wicket fell with 16 runs scored.Ê So it went until the sixth- wicket stand of Rodney Marsh and Max Walker which brought the score from 88 to 144.Ê Marsh was top batsman for Australia with 55 runs.

The Australians were dismissed in three minutes short of three hours, much to the surprise of the latecomers in the crowd of 2,000 who didnÕt expect to see the Canadians at bat before the tea interval.Ê When the umpires announced the Canadians had only 20 overs left with the team trailing by 30 runs the drama mounted.

With only 10 overs remaining, a draw seemed sure, but Dennis, handling every ball tossed at him to perfection, hit two four-run boundaries to make the score Australia 159, Eastern Canada 157.Ê With five overs left Dennis hit another boundary off WalkerÕs bowling to gain the win.

Top bowler for Australia was Jim Higgs who took three wickets for 35 runs.Ê Roy Callender of Montreal and Jim Patel of Toronto shared the winnersÕ attack with four wickets each.Ê

Ian Chappell, the Aussie captain, moved himself up from sixth to opening bat in yesterdayÕs game.Ê He scored 76 runs to lead his team.Ê Richie Robinson was second top bat with 61 runs.Ê Ashley Mallett paced the Australian attack with four wickets for 13 runs.Ê He bowled 11 overs and had seven maidens.Ê Jeff Thompson took two wickets in 10 overs for 44 runs.

The Ontario team, although outplayed, tried for the draw but with Walker hurt and McCatty run out it escaped it.Ê Ish Khan and Charlie Marshall shared the Ontario bowling with three wickets each.Ê Stan Hull was OntarioÕs top batsman with 36 runs.Ê

April 22nd, 2004 03:05 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Ê Walker had scored 20 runs when he was hit on the head by a fast ball delivered by Jeff Thompson.

Thompson"s delivery hit the matting in front of Walker and bounced up striking the Ontario player on the head. He was taken to hospital and released after examination.

i'm pretty sure this was in the days before batsmen wore helmets

this guy was lucky to survive - Thommo was hell on wheels
April 22nd, 2004 02:36 PM
Joey

Corgi and S.I.A. are both Great Men !
April 22nd, 2004 02:41 PM
jb
April 22nd, 2004 02:44 PM
Joey

April 22nd, 2004 02:46 PM
jb
April 22nd, 2004 02:51 PM
Joey
April 22nd, 2004 02:56 PM
jb
April 22nd, 2004 03:07 PM
Bloozehound sounds good

April 22nd, 2004 03:10 PM
jb
Doctor, my woman is comin' back home late today
Coudja maybe give me somethin' ?
'cause the feeling is gone and I must get it back right away
Before she sees that

I've been up, down, tryin' to get the feeling again
All around, tryin' to get the feeling again
The one that made me shiver
Made my knees start to quiver
Every time she walked in

And I've looked high (high), low (low)
Everywhere I possibly can (high)
But there's no (no) tryin' to get the feelin' again
It seemed to disappear as fast as it came

Where did it run to? I thought I'd done all that I could
Just to keep the love light burnin'
But whatever I've done, guess I just haven't done it too good
'cause all that's left is THE YEARNIN'

I've been up, down, tryin' to get the feelin' again
All around, tryin' to get the feelin' again
The one that made me shiver, made my knees start to quiver
Every time she walked in

And I've looked high (high) and low (low)
And everywhere I possibly can (high)
But there's no (no) tryin' to get the feelin' again
It seemed to disappear as fast as it came

And I've been lookin', I've been lookin', I've been lookin'

I've been up (up), I've been down (down), and tryin' to get the feelin'
I've been up (up), I've been down (down), I've been tryin' to get
I've tried and I've tried and I've tried to get (up) the feelin' (down)
I've been trying to get the feelin' again
I wanna get that feelin'
I want to get that feelin'
I've got to get that feelin'
I've gotta get that feelin' again (up)
And again (down) and again (tryin' to get that feelin')
Tryin' to get (up) the feelin' (down)
I've been tryin' to get the feelin' again

April 22nd, 2004 04:23 PM
Joey Surrounded by people
A real heavy crowd
But inside I still feel lonely now

Should I get away
From the high heels so proud
Is there something different life can show me now

First chance - I blew it, I better start it all again
Second chance - Ooh, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as they said
Third chance - I'm cut up, life's like a razor's edge
Fourth chance - Ooh, I'm all shut up and I'm standing on the ledge

And I'm goin' down (I'm goin' down)
Goin' down (I'm goin' down)
Ooh, down

I'm not a loser
But did I really win?
Can I afford to go through it all again?

I hope I don't sound
As immature as I feel
But when I get wise, I'll give you a call, my friend

First chance - I blew it, I better start it all again
Second chance - Ooh, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as they said
Third chance - I'm cut up, life's like a razor's edge
Fourth chance - I'm all shut up and I'm standing on the ledge

Now I'm goin' down (I'm goin' down)
Ooh, down (down)

Love is coming down on me, ooh yeah
Love is burning, teaching, turning out in me
Love is coming down, down
Down, down
Down, down

I'm not a loser
But did I really win?
I'm lookin' forward to doin' it all again

April 23rd, 2004 01:58 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Joey wrote:

Corgi and S.I.A. are both Great Men !

"GREAT POSTING"
April 30th, 2004 07:19 PM
parmeda THIS WAS ON PAGE 3!!!!!!!

...c'mom you guys, help SIA get that count up!

"The meter's running, Ronnie!"
April 30th, 2004 10:30 PM
stonedinaustralia hey parmeda - i thought this thing had had its day and sunk into oblivion

anyway,thanks to you and to all those who took the effort - some of it was quite intersting and/or amusing - but from now on let's just let nature take its course

i've knocked off quite a few posts with this thread but now moving into the homestretch i don't want to get to premeditated about otherwise a lot of the thrill will be gone

see you when i get there

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 1st, 2004 05:31 AM
egon what u need to do is have an opion aboiut everything/thread,
and than post that. it worked for me.

and of course there's always the smilies & lyrics.
May 1st, 2004 06:35 AM
caro There's
May 1st, 2004 06:36 AM
caro other
caro ways
caro to
May 1st, 2004 06:37 AM
caro go!...
May 1st, 2004 06:38 AM
fmk438j What's your ideal night out? Or what is the general top night spot/spots in Adelaide?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5