ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: critical remarks on american licks tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
02-14-03 08:03 AM
Maxlugar BILL PERKS,

Does that mean you are Pro-Dirty Work?

Hoping.........

M!
02-14-03 09:36 AM
Joey " Does that mean you are Pro-Dirty Work? "

< --------- Did He just mention Dirty Work on Valentines Day ??????

Maxy , he's always propping up the bar ;
Looks at life crystallized through his jar .
They say he only lives for beer ;
But deep in the night there's a cry for :

" Exile on Main Street " !!!!!!!!!

Hey , that is some great writing little buddy . I have been trying to " flip " Max off of Dirty Work for years now ...................all to no avail .

Hoping .............................

{{{{ Joe the Y }}}}}}}}}}}}}

02-14-03 10:40 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
BILL PERKS,

Does that mean you are Pro-Dirty Work?

Hoping.........

M!

As I recall, the estimable Mr. Perks is one of the enlightened, M!

Naughty!

02-14-03 10:54 AM
Maxlugar "Did He just mention Dirty Work on Valentines Day ??????"

<---- I will smoke Joey's little shit mascot. He's got a big mouth. You say the word Maxy '03 and I'll take him out.

Ya know, Maxy '83, that's a good idea. Go get him. I'm sure a lot of people will thank you for it.

Developing...........

Max the Y!

02-14-03 02:29 PM
Joey " Ya know, Maxy '83, that's a good idea. Go get him. I'm sure a lot of people will thank you for it. "

YOU MAKE JOEY CRY LIKE BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why ????????????

WHY ?????????????

WHY must you make young Joey cry so violently ?

Developing .......................

J.
02-14-03 02:38 PM
polytoxic This is thread and a half.

There are lot of good points brought up by everyone on their playing, a lot of "now that you mention it...".

I think we can be critical while knowing we still love the boys.

Keith, as far as I can tell, is either on or off any given night with not much in between.
His solos are always tasteful and occasionaly, like Brown Sugar at the ACC-you get that riff hard magic going.

Mick is the true surprise of the tour.

Someone mentioned Ronnie is becoming the Ringo of the Stones. Ouch. But true. I'd like to see a little more soul, for lack of a better word. But his playing is way better off the bottle. And hell, I kinda like the little scamp.

Goddamit Chawlie, thanks to you rock n roll is on the road again!

Bobby Keys has revitalised.

Daryll, I think, sounds much better in the Stones than before, but yeah, there are a couple of tunes (LIB, for sure) that don't fit his style. Is that his problem or ours? Not sure. But I was amazed at his work on JJF.

Chuck--- what's with always running his hand down the whole keyboard at the start of every goddam song?
ugh, it's so cheesy. He does do some good work but I find it a little tinkly. Would it really be that hard for the Stones to take a Grand Piano and a B3 around?

02-14-03 02:45 PM
jb Daryl is quite horrible on LWM...
02-14-03 09:52 PM
BILL PERKS YOUR DAMN RIGHT I'M PRO DIRTY WORK.MAXY'S DESCRIPTION OF THE CLASSIC RECORD IS THE BEST PROSE I'VE READ ON THIS SITE.THE ONLY SONGS THEY'VE DONE SINCE THAT COULD HAVE MADE THAT CUT ARE TOO TIGHT,FLIP THE SWITCH,HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT AND MEAN DISPOSTION.WE DON'T HEAR THE SNARL ENOUGH ANYMORE.
02-14-03 11:05 PM
throbby Maxlugar wrote:
I have to confess....

I quite frequently put on a white lab coat, rubber gloves and safety googles and listen to the Stones.

Oh yeah.

I walk around the basement with a clipboard jotting down the odd statistic or comment while beakers and test tubes bubble away behind me.

I'm a Stonesologist.

I can't help it.

Prof. Maxy!

I've just read this entire thread and the above says it all very succinctly. Maxy insight at its finest.
02-14-03 11:06 PM
Martha I'm American, but my ancestors came from Europe (Ireland,and Austria primarily)...and I, for one, went berserk over this tour..it has been fuckin' incredible.

I wasn't thinking of the hitting the stadium shows intitially that is until I ended up seeing the 60 Minutes II bit which showed the stadium all set-up for a show..shit Ronnie...then I started droolin' about seeing them in that venue. I really lucked out on that one too. My husband came home a week before the Detroit show with comp tickets!! Yoohoo! I will always be grateful that I went to this show, in particular. That show blew me away completely...I was thrilled beyond words to be in the audience that night...overjoyed, in fact.

It is such a blessing to me and my life (especially right now) that they are touring and doing so with such conviction That they can still muster this energy and shit don't they make it look easy performance after performance??? It is humbling indeed.

Let us not forget how old and "torn and frayed" they are, and they all look great..fantastic..alive and kickin' it up hard! Now, how many people posting here are even close to their ages? Can you keep up with them?

What can we know of the energy they are putting out each performance then? I know I'm not the person I was 25 years ago...things do change..but I for one, thank God the Rolling Stones are touring again.

It gets me dooooooooooown...

Good night

Sleep tight

Oww!
02-14-03 11:42 PM
full moon Quit your fucking moaning or jump off a bridge..
02-15-03 04:22 AM
F505 Full moon wrote:
Quit your fucking moaning or jump off a bridge...

thx for your inspiring contribution to this debate!
02-16-03 11:50 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
F505 wrote:
thx for your inspiring contribution to this debate!

LOL
02-16-03 12:59 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
My God Stonesalot, the Stones aren�t a religion!

Well not quite yet anyway. Myths do have a way of turning into such after a period of time.
02-16-03 03:18 PM
Honky Tonker I'm just proud to get to see the band again. Been going since 1981. The shows this time were great! Minor bitches from me, such as not enough difference in set lists, etc. But please remember, most at the shows don't obsess about the Stones like most of us on the board. In other words, they have to play the hits. Also, in spite of much carping about Chuck, everyone seems to agree that this tour was excellent. Hoping to get another chance to see them.

P. S. They are still the biggest concert draw for a reason!
02-17-03 12:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot >My God Stonesalot, the Stones aren�t a religion!<

It's as close to religion as I get.
02-17-03 04:28 AM
Moonisup it maybe ain't a religion

it's a way of life
02-17-03 05:27 AM
Cant Catch Me One was a single man, the other is a rock n� roll band. One emerged out of the American South in the 1950s, the other emerged from England in the 1960s. But their major differences end after that.

They both came out of nowhere and astounded the world with their energy, talent and uncanny ability to meld previously separate musical styles together into something completely new and completely their own.

After brilliant beginnings they both suffered mid-career setbacks, often because of their own poor choices, musically and professionally.

They both increasingly isolated themselves from the world, and from the melting pot of musical styles that made them great in the beginning, as well as from their fans.

They both compounded that distance, either singly or collectively, by clouding their minds with booze and drugs, legal and illegal.

By the latter part of their careers, both stood accused of lacking their former creative spark or vitality in concert and on record, although they continued to perform with astonishing energy and professionalism, given their ages and mental and physical conditions.

For both, Las Vegas appearances became more and more frequent.

And maybe, if the convergence continues, they both will at some point in their careers make �bubbly,� happy music to warm the hearts of an aging and nostalgic population, if not both in person with the �King of Champagne Music,� then at least with his spirit in mind . . .

02-17-03 05:36 AM
Cant Catch Me No, sorry, not "bubbly" sounds with Lawrence Welk, like I just implied, but piano-driven show-tune "fluff" a la Liberace,the man pictured in my previous post accompanied by Elvis Presley.

(Don't know why I was thinking Welk, the idea was just stuck in my mind until Liberace's image popped up on my screen and I realized, damn, that's not Lawrence Welk, it's Liberace, dammit!)
02-17-03 05:32 PM
Stonesthrow CCM-- I'm glad you turned down the Lawrence Welk rhetoric. It gave me nightmares. I used to work at a TV station that ran his show. I not only had to make a video tape copy of it for our station, I had to sit through it when it was aired. I thought about suing the station and Welk under the 8th Amendment's cruel and unusual punishment provision.

02-18-03 12:58 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I thought about suing the station and Welk under the 8th Amendment's cruel and unusual punishment provision.<

You would have won easily.

02-18-03 01:48 AM
Cant Catch Me And, what, Liberace would have been better? Although that question is immaterial to your law suit.
02-18-03 09:05 AM
padre Mathijs wrote:
What is the difference between the Licks Tour and the Voodoo Lounge Tour?

No Miss You this time around! I'll drink to that.
You've got great points there Mathijs. As all of your post do. Keep 'em coming, a bit of critisizing is always good.
I haven't seen any shows on this tour myself, only heard the boots. It amazes me every time I hear a new show how damn low the guitars are in the mix. Does it really sound that thin on the actual gigs?
02-19-03 01:07 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Does it really sound that thin on the actual gigs?<

No.
02-19-03 03:51 AM
padre good.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST