ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: critical remarks on american licks tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
02-11-03 12:27 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Bill Wyman is sorely missed. Like it or not, he was integral to the sound. It was subliminal but essential.

Walter Croncmax.

indeed

Darryl is a great bassplayer, he played with big artists and chuck is a good piano player

but not are not suitable for the sound the stones produce!

and about charlie, welll the man is 62 (?) It's a miracle they are still around, I always remember that, I wanna see myself at 62, I am sure I won't be as fit a Mick ore Charlie, maybe I'm dead at 62!!
02-11-03 12:40 PM
LadyJane
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

I like your thoughts Tele...

If I could agree more, we'd be joined at the hip, shake...lol.

Enjoy em' while you can....

The more dicecting, the more confused you'll get...

Just play the fucking tracks!

Amen to SDH and Tele! Consider us all joined at the hip! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I find the timing here a bit strange. Where was all the criticism when you were posting your rave reviews of the shows??!!

LadyJ.
02-11-03 03:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >This is the kind of playing the Stones need!!<

Really Mathy? You know this better than the muthafuckin' ROLLING STONES themselves? How fucking arrogant is that?

Fuck off...the lot of you. You don't know fucking SQUAT about what the Stones NEED. I don't care if you play guitar, or if you play skin flute, you ain't in the same league as the Stones. They have been doing this thing called Rock & Roll for 40+ years...they could all get Alzheimers and STILL remember more about how to play music than you will EVER learn in your lifetime! If you know so damn much, where are your gold records and sold out concert tours?

I could never be so presumtuous as to try telling the Stones what they NEED, or how they SHOULD play. I know what they DON'T need...they don't need a bunch of wannabes telling them to go back in time to 1969 or 1978. If that is what YOU like, fine...go squirrel yourself away with your old LPs and Boots....live in yesterday's papers.

Don't like Daryl? He's good enough for Charlie Watts. Charlie loves playing with Daryl. He's said so in several interviews. I think that back in the day...Bill was certainly better for the Stones...but it ain't back in the day anymore, and Bill has zero interest in being in the Stones. Right now, today, Daryl can play circles around Bill. Case closed.

Maybe Ronnie and Keith don't play like they did back in '78. So what? They still play 10 times better than anyone else out there.

The bottom line is that there isn't another band going today that can put on a show like the Stones. Period. NONE.

And that is the name of that tune.
02-11-03 04:06 PM
jb SS, you seem very angry today... I trust this won't effect "72 Touring Party"? BTW, could you PM the address again? You Pal...Josh
02-11-03 04:30 PM
Nellcote The Man In Armor Speaks Wisdom.
Oh Great One, I have sinned.
I have a mission yet to complete.
Please have pity on myself.
02-11-03 04:35 PM
glencar Mathjiz has been a fan since 1983? WOW! You know it all then. Except maybe you should read Sir Stonesalot's post. Really some of you people can be insufferable. You don't like the sound? Stay home. If you want to be "10 feet away" then visit that wax museum in Piccadilly Circus. The Stones don't need fans like you. And the professional critic I cited (among others) made mention of their age & said it didn't matter. It's al in the playing. You've evidently seen some pretty fantastic wedding bands, Mathjiz.
02-11-03 05:05 PM
F505 A lot of childish posts around here. Why can't one criticize the almighty gods? I think people who dare to say that the Stones are not always GOD are more fans than the people who can only adore and slaver. The Stones have been the best band around but they may be criticized. If you can't take that you're a sad fan.
02-11-03 05:17 PM
gypsy Couldn't have said it better myself, SS.
The Stones are just about perfect...their shows have been near flawless. They have earned their money.
02-11-03 05:22 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy SS, man, I don't think Matjh was saying "I know better than the Stones". I think he was saying "This what I'd like to have happen", and some of his points are very valid. Does he have any say in the matter? No. But he's just stating his opinion. He'd like to have 'em do all that stuff on his long list. Are they going to bend down on one knee to great Matjhis, man with unplacable j in his name, Member since 1983, because of what he said? No. But it's just opinion. I'm sure you can think of a few things you'd like to hear 'em do better, like turn down Chuck Leavell, for example. But I don't think anyone's seriously giving themself enough airs to talk about the Stones in any way more than an "I wish" capacity.

Where's that album of yours, by the way? I'm eagerly awaiting "Positively 6th Street".

-tSYX --- All along the clockpit...
02-11-03 05:26 PM
Riffhard Well I for one am a little confused over any negative posts concerning the 40 Licks tour. They have been garnering some of the best reviews of their careers on this tour. I'm sure that there have been some spotty moments on this tour,however,over all this tour has been superb. I only got to see them twice this time around and both shows I saw (MSG,Giants Sept.)they were at the top of their game!

It is a bit odd that the negative reviews about this tour are from folks who haven't even seen them yet on this tour. I'm fairly certain that once our European friends see them,as opposed to reviewing boots,that all this negativety will fade away.

Riffhard

[Edited by Riffhard]
02-11-03 05:49 PM
F505 riffhard said:
It is a bit odd that the negative reviews about this tour are from folks who haven't even seen them yet on this tour. I'm fairly certain that once our European friends see them,as opposed to reviewing boots,that all this negativety will fade away.

The essence is not to see them but to HEAR them. But anyway I hope you're right. For my part it was not all negativety. If was positive about Charlie and Mick and I complimented them with their song choice.
02-11-03 06:58 PM
full moon I saw the show in Chicago and it kicked fucking ass. So, anyone that thinks otherwise and has not seen THE Stones this tour can take a long walk off a short pier...........
02-11-03 07:14 PM
Phog I've seen two shows this tour and they were both great.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, here's mine: I still

love these motherfuckers. They still do it better than any-

one else. They still inspire me, and ultimately that's all

that really matters.
02-11-03 07:19 PM
telecaster
quote:
full moon wrote:
I saw the show in Chicago and it kicked fucking ass. So, anyone that thinks otherwise and has not seen THE Stones this tour can take a long walk off a short pier...........

fullmoon. I was there with you. The best of the tour.
Amazing. I walked out and said it could never be better than that.

02-11-03 07:22 PM
telecaster Something to think about from "100 Years Ago" literally.

Theodore Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt 1903
02-11-03 07:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Obviously, if you think that I'm some kind of sycophant...you don't know me very well. The Stones have done lots of stuff that I don't care for. Emotional Rescue, all of Jagger's solo stuff, Keef's solo stuff...I don't really care for any of it, and I've been pretty up front about it.

But I would never presume to tell the Stones how to make better records, or what kind of sound they should shoot for on stage, or how they should play their own music.

If Mathy was just wishing...he should SAY that he is wishing. Where are the IMOs? The way he wrote things, it looks like he is stating fact. It's not. Not even close.

If it's his opinion...that's fine. But I still think he's full of shit.

And who the hell goes to a Stones show to simply HEAR the band? That's just crazy. A Stones show isn't the fucking symphony...it's a full-on Rock & Roll spectacle. You think just Mick's vocals makes him the 9th Wonder of the World? Hogwash. He is the 9th Wonder of the World because of his ability to work a crowd...whip 'em into a frenzy. You just gotta SEE it as well as hear it. A Rolling Stones show is a treat for ALL of the senses; listen to the music, lights and action for the eyes, the smell of sweat, beer, and chiba, the taste of the man made stage smoke and the cordite from the pyro....it's a complete multisensual experience. To boil it down to simply the music does not do a Stones show justice.

Go ahead Xyzzy. Analyze it all to fucking death for all I care. The Stones is the Stones. And that is the fun of it for me. If you think it's fun to overanalize(mispelling intentional) and criticize...go for it. Booyah!

But I'll be right there defending the Stones every time.

Have at it all you negative vibe merchants...I ain't buying.
02-11-03 07:29 PM
Angiegirl It seems that Mathijs' name is a difficult one here...LOL!!! I've seen over 6 or 7 different spellings...haha
02-11-03 07:31 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hey, whatever, man. I certainly don't go to the Stones to hear 'em alone. If I wanted that, I'd spend a few bucks for a B&P tree and listen to the boots. You go to a Stones concert for all senses and experiences, not just to hear the music, but to watch 'em play the music, and feel the crowd react and so forth.

When you're there, you ain't analyzing, I hope. I hope no one's going and taking reams of notes on every show. Once the boys get out on stage, there shouldn't be much else in you except yelling, dancing, and more yelling.

You went to the show at Roseland, SS, I have your boot, damnit! You know what it's like.

Would write more, but must run.

No, there were no "In my opinions" in Math's post. But read 'em as opinions anyway - because I don't think even he believes the alternative.

-tSYX --- You gonna get it straight from the shoulder, can't you see the party's over? Hey! Baby woncha let me go?
02-11-03 07:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The essence is not to see them but to HEAR them.<

That's what I was talking about Xyzzy....do you see how retarded that is? If someone is gonna post something so silly, how can you give credibility to anything that they say.

I can't lend any credence to the Keith deal either. He isn't playing like it was 1978 anymore? What kind of crap is that? Keith isn't playing like it's 1978...because IT AIN'T 1978! DUH! If that is what Mathy thinks the Stones should sound like...then he oughta stick to his bootlegs and headphones, and quit trying to kill everyone's buzz!
02-11-03 08:05 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ehh... we all make mistakes. I'm sure F505 is justified in some way - the music is one of the integral parts of the experience - if the music sucks, then a lot of the energy is lost.

But, on the other hand, if the music's kickass and nothing's happening up there - if they're just dull to the crowd - like Mick Taylor was - it would still be an empty experience.

But the Stones are Stones, like you say. I know, F505, when you see 'em this summer, you'll be blown away by everything, not just the music!

-tSYX --- Don't get too tight with me...
02-11-03 10:03 PM
steel driving hammer Unless you want to go out of your way and dig really hard,

I don't think there can be anything bad said about this Licks Tour.

It's their best tour since Still Life...

Damm straight it is!

Almost too good to be true ain't it?

Stones in my kitchen, Stones in my head, Stones in my bed, Stones What I Said!

Hit Me Ronnie!!!
02-11-03 10:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot Steelie knows the deal.

That's why he's C10.
02-11-03 11:48 PM
MP Bill sorely missed? Not by moi.
02-11-03 11:50 PM
MP ...to every thing...change, change, change...Bill had his season...he chose to end it....the Stones have moved on....Daryl kicks ass with the best of them.....and Ronnie ROCKS....MT chose to end his season....
02-11-03 11:53 PM
full moon Only cowards live in the past , move on and grab the excitement by the balls.. Rock n Roll isn't for whiners..
02-12-03 05:10 AM
F505 The only one who talks sense is tSYX. I appreciate people who want to keep the Stones sharp and that is not by constantly saying how goddamn great they are. That's to state the obvious. I advice those worshippers to smell (another sense which may be important) the wet farts of the boys so they can tell the whole world they've composed another classic song.

And yes tSYX ofcourse I will enjoy them in Vredenburg and Ahoy. No doubt about it. Being critical don't mean you don't like them. But in your homecountry that's very hard to understand.
[Edited by F505]
02-12-03 06:54 AM
Nellcote 'Scuse me 505, however, there have been several posts here making sense. It's The Stones, dammit.
Is everything alright in the critics section?
02-12-03 07:35 AM
Mathijs > Sir Stonesalot wrote >>This is the kind of playing the Stones need!!<
>Really Mathy? You know this better than the muthafuckin' ROLLING STONES themselves? >How fucking arrogant is that?
>Fuck off...the lot of you. You don't know fucking SQUAT about what the Stones NEED. I >don't care if you play guitar, or if you play skin flute, you ain't in the same league as the >Stones. They have been doing this thing called Rock & Roll for 40+ years...they could all >get Alzheimers and STILL remember more about how to play music than you will EVER >learn in your lifetime! If you know so damn much, where are your gold records and sold >out concert tours?

A-ha! Finally some decent discussion again! Of course I wouldn�t dare to be so arrogant to want to tell the Stones what to do and what not to do. But, there�s some more to it in my opinion. Half of my �opinion� is indeed just my own little opinion. It is my opinion that I think they should do some more obscure songs. It is my opinion that the set lists of the last 20 shows were really boring. But you are right: I am not the one standing on stage in front of 50.000 people, and the Stones are probably right not to play too many obscure songs.

But there�s another half to my opinion. I do think that the Stones aren�t just that good anymore, and that just might not be only my opinion, as many other Stones fans have mentioned this to. I just really don�t enjoy the recording of the HBO show, and that�s a pity as I think the Stones are still capable of being the best R&R band in the world. I do think that the reasons why the Stones aren�t that good anymore are partially beyond the Stones� own control, but also partially within their control. It is simply true that they are indeed 60 years old, and (you�re right about that) it isn�t 1978 anymore. Charlie is getting older, and you can�t expect him to play the drums like a 25-year-old. Ronnie�s playing has really deteriorated due to alcohol abuse, and I am afraid he will never regain his pre-1982 level. Keith�s fingers are infected by arthritis, and you can hear that in his playing. You don�t have to tell the Stones this, they are very well aware of this. You don�t have to tell the Stones that Daryl is a worse �Stones� bass player than Bill Wyman �they know that very well. But, this is all beyond their own power and influence. But there�s also some things that, if you look from a (professional) musicians view �a pure technical view- that the Stones CAN do something about. For example, why is Chuck Leavell filling up Midnight Rambler with dreadful piano lines? Because he is filling the empty spaces Ronnie is dropping (so tell Ronnie to turn it up at the slow part!). Why isn�t anybody playing the main riff of When The Whip Comes Down, and why is Keith filling this song with dreadful leads? (thus tell Keith to stick to his rhythm part, and let Ronnie take care of the soloing). Why is Keith killing the drive of All Down The Line with expressionless open G soloing? (while his job is to pump out the rhythm? Let Ronnie turn up the slide!) Why is every song played in a average 120 BPM tempo, while most songs would really benefit from a faster (135 BPM) pace (like If You can�t Rock Me, All Down The Line, JJF)? Why do the Stones guitars have this really clean, lifeless Fender amp sound? Turn up the grind and noise! Bring back the Boogie�s and the Ampeg�s! (and this would bring back life in songs like Can�t You Hear Me Knocking and Tumbling Dice). Why is Daryl playing lifeless bass lines on songs like Stray Cat and Let it Bleed? Have the guy listen to some Wyman shows!

So, my main complaint is that -in my opinion- the Stones sound so utterly lifeless, and I do think that they are capable of so much more. Fire Chuck Leavell, bring back Ian Mclagan, let Ronnie do much more of the soloing (give the guy more space to riff away), play the songs at a faster pace, and �in my opinion- it would sound much better. The Stones do sound like really old farts on the HBO show, and since I am not an old fart, I don�t like it.

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

URL: http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
E-Mail: [email protected]

Bootlegs for Sale
The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
02-12-03 08:04 AM
Moonisup the thing with ronnie is that he's better then in 1997-99 but I don't think they want to burn their handds by turning him up and he just strums here and there, and then???? there will be no chuck to back them up!

The thing is, they are TOOOOOO big now, it's all about marketing, and the stones playing the stones, angry looks from keith, leg up, ronnie being the newbie and mick well mick no critism on that guy, he is just great, however, I will enjoy it when I visit the stadiumshows, it ain't 1978 but 2003, and this is the stones in 2003. that's it.

It's hard for the stones to top themselves ater 40 years
02-12-03 08:11 AM
marko I completely agree with Mathjis on Chuck(the cock)leavell
issue,that guy is fucking up stones sound,and indeed,rambler
is not a PIANO driven song,less cock leavell and more
ronnie.And keiths solo on sympathy doesn�t work,leave that
to ronnie too,but,i�m still happy to see them 4time next
summer,2arenas and 2 stadiums.And i know,were never again
get stones as they were,long long time ago......right now
I�m listening upgraded Louisville-75,preston is doing the
cock dance!imagine mick&leavell doing that,YIKES!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST