ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image and watch the show!
© Marcelo Sayao/ZUMA with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Super Bowl - Ford Field, Detroit, February 5, 2006 Setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
February 6th, 2006 09:10 AM
speedfreakjive ADD?
February 6th, 2006 09:16 AM
Lil Brian Nice to see all the past MVPs gathered together too. Bart Starr is still the best!
February 6th, 2006 09:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
ADD?

attention deficit disorder

a reference to Ronnie's habit of not being able to concentrate on playing for long enough which makes his performances inconsistent as a result

Last night he cut out the posing
February 6th, 2006 10:01 AM
nankerphelge I thought they did a hell of a job, but I thought Satisfaction sounded wrong -- Jagger seemed to be in the wrong key to me.

But that was about the only problem.

That stage was sharp even if it was reminiscent of U2's Golden Circle (Jerk) stage!

Ronnie played great -- that slide on RJ was loud! Yay!

Charlie was awesome as usual (loved the first-time poster that said he played the same thing over and over -- last I checked, Charlie is the drummer)

Black outfits looked great!

And did y'all see the streaker sheep commercial!!

Classic!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
February 6th, 2006 10:02 AM
speedfreakjive Yes, Ronnie can miss parts sometimes, but thats usually because Keith is more on the ball than him. I really don't think that Ronnie is back on the booze, looking at last nights pictures.
February 6th, 2006 10:22 AM
Jerry in Boston I only watched the game because of the Stones' performance. It's kind of weird for Boston boy to not see his Patriots playing the game, but on well. LOL

I loved the stage! The setlist wasn't a surprise at all so it was nice to see a really cool stage.

My Mom called before the 1/2 time show and I told her it was going to be the Stones. She was all, "Really?!? I'll have to watch it then!" I knew the game would be on in their house cuz my Dad's a football nut having been a QB in high school himself.

When the 1/2 time came up my Mom called me to watch it together over the phone. LOL She's so cute. She was all, "WOW, that stage is so cool! I always liked their logo! But I don't know this song." I told her it was "Start Me Up" and she was, "Well I know that one but I just can't recognize it yet". I guess it was the sound being weird at first. As usual, I could hear my dad in the background yelling, "I can't believe that Jagger guy is my age! Look at him go!" LOLOL

Overall, great fun. And that Fox newslady that said the Stones weren't appropriate for family viewing needs to shut her hyper-conservative pie hole! Ugh!
February 6th, 2006 10:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I thought they did a hell of a job, but I thought Satisfaction sounded wrong -- Jagger seemed to be in the wrong key to me.

I actually thought it was Keith!!
February 6th, 2006 10:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jerry in Boston wrote:

Overall, great fun. And that Fox newslady that said the Stones weren't appropriate for family viewing needs to shut her hyper-conservative pie hole! Ugh!

Good.

if the Stones can still piss fucknuts like this off despite being in their 60's, then there's still some hope....
February 6th, 2006 10:55 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
if the Stones can still piss fucknuts like this off despite being in their 60's, then there's still some hope....

But the most trivial things piss these Fox fucknuts off, so The Stones doing that is no big accomplishment in itself. It's all soooooo predictable!
February 6th, 2006 11:11 AM
Saint Sway A GREAT PERFORMANCE!!! 5 STARS!!!!

I was curled up on my couch fearing the worst. I really thought they would do RFD and some other shit to embarrass and make a spectacle of themselves. Instead, they came out and rocked hard for 3 songs and kicked ass.

• great performance - by all 4 Stones. Top notch!
• stage was awesome
• set list was perfect
• great energy
• they looked great and sounded great

this may of been their best TV performance of all-time. I'll let others debate that. But right now I rank it #1.
February 6th, 2006 11:11 AM
parmeda y'all remember this jagface critic from a few weeks back?
.....he's still an asshole!

But, I should mention that he gave last night's performance a better rating than Macca's try at it last year...jb will certainly stick his chest out with pride!

IN 3 SONGS, STONES SAY A LOT

Chicago SunTimes
February 6, 2006
BY JIM DEROGATIS POP MUSIC CRITIC

When the Rolling Stones performed on his show in 1967, Ed Sullivan was wary of giving network air time to such lewd hell-raisers, and he famously made them change the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

There is no small irony in the fact that four decades later, rock's one-time baddest of the bad boys are viewed as safe, non-controversial entertainment for half-time at the Super Bowl, which is still reeling from a glimpse of Janet Jackson's breast in 2004.

This year, the show got all the controversy out of the way long before kick-off. After pundits pointed out that the median age of the Stones is 62, the NFL abandoned its plan to ban anyone over 45 from dancing in the middle of the tongue-shaped stage.

And when other critics wondered why the producers tapped a bunch of Brits rather than homegrown talent from one of America's greatest music cities, Aretha Franklin quickly was recruited to sing the national anthem, with Aaron Neville and Dr. John helping her out and giving a nod to hurricane-battered New Orleans.

As for the Stones, they delivered a succinct but fiery three-song set that found them doing much more than simply going through the motions.

"Start Me Up" was a predictable opener, and you knew they had to close with "Satisfaction." But if you remember what the song is really about, the latter takes on added resonance in the midst of the year's biggest orgy of advertising excess.

"When I'm watchin' my TV/And that man comes on to tell me/How white my shirts can be ... I can't get no satisfaction," Mick Jagger sang with a bit more sneer than usual. And the tune ended in a wonderfully raucous jam with Ron Wood and Keith Richards playing a minute of sheer punk-rock dissonance and clatter.

In between, the Stones bettered Paul McCartney at last year's show by playing an actual recent song -- "Rough Justice," the strongest from the 2005 album "A Bigger Bang" -- and they even poked a little fun at themselves.

"Here's one we could have played at Super Bowl I," Jagger said in introducing "Satisfaction," originally released in 1965.

The group's biggest cop-out was something that only a hardcore Stones fan noticed, but it was undeniable: Jagger emphatically went mute and cut off the last word of the one mildly licentious line in "Start Me Up." (You know, the one about the dead man.)

Well, at least the Stones are consistent: They were willing to bend for Sullivan in '67, and they happily censored themselves in 2006, lest they offend anyone watching Super Bowl XL -- several hours of men violently hurling themselves at each other in the name of good, wholesome family entertainment.

[Edited by parmeda]
February 6th, 2006 11:17 AM
parmeda
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
And did y'all see the streaker sheep commercial!!

Classic!

For the record...

I almost choked on some shrimp...NOT because the commercial was funnier than all hell...but because I had visions of YOU, Nanky...and just imagining how hard you were laughing watching it as well!

February 6th, 2006 11:27 AM
jb He must of got our e-mails.............this was a A+++ performance. The crowd was lamer than Salt-lake, and they still kicked ass....Poor Mick trying to get the hateful sports nerds to clap as they sucked down their foot longs and beer...
February 6th, 2006 11:33 AM
Saint Sway one question:
why did they make all the audience attendees on the field all wear bright neon long sleeve shirts?? It looked like a bad Benetton commercial.
February 6th, 2006 11:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:

For the record...

I almost choked on some shrimp...NOT because the commercial was funnier than all hell...but because I had visions of YOU, Nanky...and just imagining how hard you were laughing watching it as well!

you were imagining how hard he was or how hard he was laughing?

Please clarify immediately!!!
February 6th, 2006 11:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
He must of got our e-mails.............this was a A+++ performance. The crowd was lamer than Salt-lake, and they still kicked ass....Poor Mick trying to get the hateful sports nerds to clap as they sucked down their foot longs and beer...

what would you expect from the crowd? Those people were there to see a sports event. I doubt too many of them were there just because the Stones were the half time 'cabaret'. Most people probably couldnt give a shit who was doing the half time show.

The only Stones fans were the ones around the stage. They seemed animated enough.
February 6th, 2006 11:58 AM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:

you were imagining how hard he was or how hard he was laughing?

Please clarify immediately!!!

Now THAT made me laugh harder than I did last night

...and you can read into it as you will, rotflmao!
February 6th, 2006 12:04 PM
Jeep Amazing stage !
A little animation with 2 shots of it :

[Edited by Jeep]
February 6th, 2006 12:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Now THAT made me laugh harder than I did last night

...and you can read into it as you will, rotflmao!

you know me well enough to know that if theres a single entendre to be found, I'll sniff it out (oops...theres another one..)
February 6th, 2006 12:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Amazing stage !

thats superb. Thanks
February 6th, 2006 12:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Amazing stage !

It rocks... Now as a temporary background image

February 6th, 2006 12:41 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Amazing stage !

Holy shit! Nice work!
February 6th, 2006 12:57 PM
the worst kinda guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ABC goes to tape delay for Stones show

DAVID BAUDERAssociated PressNEW YORK -

They may not have flashed any body parts - except for Mick Jagger's well-toned stomach - but the Rolling Stones made ABC glad it imposed a five-second tape delay on the Super Bowl halftime show.
Two sexually explicit lyrics were excised from the rock legends' performance Sunday. The only song to avoid the editor was "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," a 41-year-old song about sexual frustration.
In "Start Me Up," ABC's editors silenced one word, a reference to a woman's sexual sway over a dead man. The lyrics for "Rough Justice" included a synonym for rooster that the network also deemed worth cutting out.
It was the first time a network had imposed a five-second tape delay on the Super Bowl, a sensitivity that no doubt reflects a lingering reaction to Janet Jackson's infamous wardrobe malfunction two years ago.
The Stones probably didn't mind, either. It brought a little rock 'n' roll danger to the ultimate "safe" gig and - if they're lucky - it distracted attention from their mediocre show.
Jagger, at age 62, is still a force of nature, strutting and dancing across a stage designed as a replica of their famed wagging tongue logo. The band's performance felt ragged - they seemed just warming up during the opening "Start Me Up," and a three-song set affords no such luxury.
The Stones chose three tough rockers, including the best song from their well-received recent album and one of their most enduring hits.
"Here's one we could have done at Super Bowl I," Jagger wryly said in introducing "Satisfaction."
It was their best, most energetic effort, and ended with Jagger blowing a kiss to the audience. But unlike U2's performance four years ago at the Super Bowl, their set was not an example of a band at its peak rising to the majesty of the event.
Some in Detroit felt the city's rich musical history was snubbed when the Stones were selected, even if the Super Bowl had Motown-themed halftime shows twice in the past 25 years. This year's Motown tribute came before the game.
Stevie Wonder was the centerpiece, singing a medley of his hits with the help of John Legend, Joss Stone and India.Arie.
It was a typical monument to excess, with a stage more crowded than a train station at rush hour, and was marred by microphones that occasionally malfunctioned. Brightly clad dancers hoofed it incongruously when Wonder sang a portion of his angry ghetto tale "Livin' for the City," at one point pretending to fight each other.
Most importantly, the medley format did a disservice to the musicians. They rushed through the songs as if at a fast-food service line. With hours of meaningless pregame hoopla, couldn't they be given five minutes more to finish a few songs?
The National Anthem offered a particularly odd partnership - Aaron Neville and Dr. John (in a tribute to hurricane-ravaged New Orleans) with Detroit favorite Aretha Franklin. Neville sang half of the song in his feathery-soft voice, then was never heard from again when Franklin blew the dome's roof off.
She barely needed a microphone.

- AP
[Edited by Gazza]

yet the word " asshole " was heard many times on the NYPD Blue show. im done watching ABC ( ALWAYS BROADCASTING CENSORSHIP) TV.
February 6th, 2006 12:59 PM
KeepRigid

How great is that?
February 6th, 2006 01:04 PM
the worst kinda guy [quote]corgi37 wrote:
Great stuff. I nearly fell off my chair when Ronnie's 1st solo on SMU came on. How loud was that! The stage was truly great. Pretty much typical choice of songs, but good on them for doing a new one.

Keith didnt look tired. He looked "re-animated". 1 thing though - i heard backing singers, but didnt see them. Whats with that.

The Motown thing was a hilarious disaster. Too many cooks, man.

Now, 1 last thing. How can you burger eating, country invading, fellow mail employee shooting Yanks enjoy this game? Its so frikking boring! Man, the "2 minute" warning dragged on for 25 bloody minutes. Why not just dump the game, and have the 1/2 time spectacular. I'd rather watch the lingerie bowl. I aint kidding, this is crap stuff. Aussie Rules, from simply a spectator sport, is 1000 times better. No faggot time outs. No faggot helmets. No faggot padding. Just burly Aussie boys charging into each other, jumping on each other backs, and...

...wow! I just made Aussies Rules sound like Brokeback Mountain

just burly faggot aussie boys jumping on each other.
smells like homosexuals too me.
February 6th, 2006 01:13 PM
jb Sadly, ratings were down from last year and the Stones are being blamed.
February 6th, 2006 01:20 PM
radiomanno Any guitar junkies out there know what guitar Ronnie Wood was playing during Rough Justice???
February 6th, 2006 01:25 PM
Sidewinder Gotta say I loved it. The show was great, and the stage was great. However, in talking to "casual" fans and non-fans, they weren't impressed by the show. But, they weren't impressed with McCartney last year either. Does that mean that Janet's wardrobe malfunction has become the pinnacle of Superbowl halftime shows? Sure hope not.
February 6th, 2006 01:52 PM
chevysales
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Nice to see all the past MVPs gathered together too. Bart Starr is still the best!

except montana and bradshaw who wouldn't do it for the $1,000 the mvp's got.

bradshaw and montana wanted $100,000 in appearance fees!

the only other one who didn't show was haley from cowboys who has died.

a once in a lifetime thing and terry/joe are assholes!
[Edited by chevysales]
February 6th, 2006 01:59 PM
jb
quote:
chevysales wrote:

except montana and bradshaw who wouldn't do it for the $1,000 the mvp's got.

bradshaw and montana wanted $100,000 in appearance fees!

the only other one who didn't show was haley from cowboys who has died.

a once in a lifetime thing and terry/joe are assholes!
[Edited by chevysales]

mONTANNA OVERRATED ASS HOLE(WIG WEARER) AND bRADSHAW A BALD DICK HEAD BITTER STILL FROM HIS LACK OF RECOGNITION..........cZONKA WAS THE MAN!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)