ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What you have been reading lately? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
December 29th, 2004 11:18 AM
glencar JJ Flash is in S. America so that's probably what makes it a little tougher.
December 29th, 2004 12:02 PM
Zeeta Donna Tart - The Secret History - an amazing "perfect" novel in my exquiste opinion!

My fave book is Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. Such a fuckin laugh (bar the over-analytical) class parts. Its a great study of characters and gives a facinating account of life in Paris in the 20's.
December 29th, 2004 12:21 PM
Martha Zeeta, I absolutely LOVE your Keef photo.

:-)
December 29th, 2004 02:52 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
CS wrote:

yes, in a different format

am i in it?
December 29th, 2004 08:48 PM
glencar I have passed up Dylan's Chronicles since I can't find it anywhere in this house(goddamit!) but I have started "Failure Is Not An Option" by Gene Krantz. It covers the same time period but it's about the mission controllers of the US space program.
December 29th, 2004 11:35 PM
sirmoonie Read my X-mas gift of Chronicles right away. My criticism would be that it seemed like a lot of books-I've-read-name dropping, especially in the beginning, although I don't doubt Dylan read all of that material and remembers it well. But why recite it?

Four bits of Chronciles really caught my attention on first read:

1. The last paragraph of the book on his transition from folk to rock. That was incredibly powerful stuff from someone who was right there.

2. His talk of leaving the Twin Cities in the cold with an "ordered and disciplined mind." Just interesting that in 2004 he remembered himself that way as a 20 year old.

3. Bono coming over for dinner with a case of Guinness and hooking him up with Lanois.

4. He traded his electric for an acoustic before he traded his acoustic for an electric!

Required read for any Dylan fan, of course.
December 29th, 2004 11:41 PM
gypsy Thanks for that review, sirmoonie. As you may well know, I have the utmost respect for you and your opinions. Your review is much appreciated.
December 30th, 2004 07:00 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
glencar wrote:
JJ Flash is in S. America so that's probably what makes it a little tougher.

Actually Blue, I can find every damn book on its original language here. But "OGAD" from Stephen Davis is really difficult to find for an affordable price. I found that 2 years ago, but it was really expensive compared to the price you pay for it in US.

Also, I live in São Paulo, the 3rd biggest city of the world where you can find everything.
December 30th, 2004 05:37 PM
KeepRigid King Lar
December 30th, 2004 06:01 PM
crb69 Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis
December 31st, 2004 11:23 AM
jb "How to bang a hot asian chick in the ass".
December 31st, 2004 03:02 PM
Dan
quote:
crb69 wrote:
Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis

I stumbled across this at the library last night looking for something else and already up to about page 150. Cant say I am that much of a fan but its quite engrossing. I also cheated and skipped ahead to see if he says anything about the Stones Rose Bowl gigs. I was at those gigs and cant necessarily say I disagree with him.
December 31st, 2004 10:11 PM
time is on my side Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, Chronicles Volume One by Bob Dylan, and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (great book highly recommended)
January 1st, 2005 10:34 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Nietzsche's “Thus Sprauch Zarathsuhtra” by Freddy the great, the best book I've ever read. I first read it back in 1973, always high, you may read one prragraph and stay thinking for minutes
January 1st, 2005 10:37 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (great book highly recommended)

"100 años de soledad" sometimes is great to be able to read books in the original language, I think all books lose the touch with translations, and some translations are made over an already translated book. I agree this is a great book by Gabriel García Márquez, I partially read it in high school

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
January 1st, 2005 04:37 PM
time is on my side Absolutely agree with you that books are best read in their native language. You lose a lot of the natural style, rhythm, and meaning in any translation as the author's thought processes and imagination is geared to his or her native language. For instance, my wife who is from Venezuela, will refuse to read any book written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez if it is not in Spanish since he has a unique writing style. Despite these severe limitations and the fact I can read, speak only English, one hundred years of solitide was a great book about the human condition. There are certain, powerful books that have universal themes and meanings that can be read in any language. One Hundred Years of Solitiude, in my opinion, is one of them.
January 1st, 2005 06:37 PM
Mr Hess Just finishing up the Ted Williams bio by Leigh somebody.
Good read.
January 1st, 2005 07:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks "time is on my side" now you gave me the temptation to finsih it, I didn't finish it when I read it back in high school as some classmates told me the summary

BTW, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!
January 1st, 2005 07:58 PM
UptownBedbug "RAID The Silent Killer" by S.C. Johnson
January 1st, 2005 10:46 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:
"How to bang a hot asian chick in the ass".

LOL!........tsk,tsk. YOU're like a wee lil'dawgee witha bawn!
January 3rd, 2005 02:07 PM
Jair A Teia da Vida (The Web of Life), by
Fritjof Capra
January 4th, 2005 12:54 AM
Cant Catch Me I'm sitting at the table, reading this fucking thing, it's right in front of my face, says, "Have you seen me?" with a fucking blurred picture of some kid below it. Like when do I ever see children? Like, never if I had my way. I mean do these people think I hang out at the fucking playground all day?!
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
January 4th, 2005 02:54 AM
thejuf Shawn Levy's Ready Steady Go, on Swinging London and the Invention of Cool(2002).

It includes some nice pics of the scene (a pic with the now vintage=retro furniture of the 1960s my dad used to import from London and which I've just bought back on ebay)

January 4th, 2005 07:36 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
seclusion wrote:
Gracie Slick's auto and finishing a bio on Marilyn Monroe.

>>Martha wrote: And, thanks to Dr, Filth's hearty recommendation, I have "Shaky" sitting here to read as well>>

"Shaky" Neil Young's bio? I've read it... pretty good but it'so damn long! I think I got to page 500 and browsed the rest. But it was worth the time. Neil is a strange dude... interesting life. I love his music but his guitar playing stinks. lol

>>J.J.Flash wrote: impossible to find Old Gods>>

It's not that hard. Try Amazon or Alibris. I bet you can get it for under $7 bucks, if it's the book I'm thinking of. If you can't find a copy I've got a copy, if you want it.

Hi Seclusion!

If you have the Stones' biography "Old Gods Almost Dead" by Stephen Davis in english, how could we "set this up"? Could I burn some bootlegs for you and then you would send me your extra copy?

TIA
January 4th, 2005 10:49 AM
jb "Posting etiquette for idiots"
January 4th, 2005 05:28 PM
gypsy
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
King Lar

"My Wicked, Wicked, Wicked Ways" by KeepRigidsLawyer
January 5th, 2005 10:19 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
"Posting etiquette for idiots"

" How to Soap Your Crack in Five Easy Minutes " by Carl Weatherford
January 5th, 2005 11:19 AM
Monkeytonkman Over the Christmas holodays I read two books:

Lemmy (Motorhead's main man) 'White Line Fever'
Francis Rossi & Rick Parfit (Status Quo) 'XS All Areas'

Today i just bought Tommy Lee's book 'Tommyland' if it's like 'The Dirt' then it should be quite entertaining
January 5th, 2005 12:25 PM
FPM C10 Love this thread. So many people "on the same page" as it were!

I read "Chronicles Part 1" right after I got it for Xmas and right now I'm reading "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.

I got a really nice slip-cased copy of "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" but haven't read it yet.

Great that there are so many Garcia Marquez fans here. Not being bilingual, I've often wondered just how amazing his books must be in his native tongue. My favorite writer in any language.

And to tie it all together, I've been listening to "The Return of the New York Dolls", and in between songs Sylvain says something about them not playing for "like, three hundred fuckin' years - three hundred years of rock & roll history!" and David Jo says "Gabriel Garcia Marquez!"

Which never fails to crack me up.

SS, I can't believe you got to see the Dolls. This album's been killin' me!
January 5th, 2005 12:38 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Which never fails to crack me up.

********* END TRANSMISSION ************
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood