ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What you have been reading lately? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
December 28th, 2004 06:27 AM
J.J.Flash Which book are you reading?

Mine is Robert Shelton's "No Direction Home", fantastic book telling the life and music of Bob Dylan (Hi Marta!)
December 28th, 2004 06:51 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Which book are you reading?

Mine is Robert Shelton's "No Direction Home", fantastic book telling the life and music of Bob Dylan (Hi Marta!)

Shelton's is the best Dylan bio...read with Dylan's own 'Chronicles' is a nice combination. I am reading Stephen King's new Red Sox book which I got for Christmas. What did Spankee fans get to read? Dick and Jane?
December 28th, 2004 07:20 AM
gypsymofo60 Well believe it or not, I have just re-read Robert De Quincey's "Confessions Of An English Opium Eater". A trully marvellous old read, honestly! It's given me the most marvellous and lucid nightmares of late. Funnily though; Instead of Eastern Chimeras, and so forth, baffling as it may seem I saw George W. Bush in a sort of virtual reality dream being melted by a Thermo- nuclear explosion, it was so weird. I was immune to the effects of thermo-nuclear war, and 2 mins prior to this apocalypse; I got to shake the hand of none other than, John Fitzgerald Kennnedy, WOW! What do toub think OLD Rose would have thought about that?
December 28th, 2004 08:28 AM
Madafaka I'm reading 2 books at this time:

* Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones (Stepehn Davis)

* 1984 (George Orwell)
December 28th, 2004 08:35 AM
J.J.Flash Argentinean motherfucker....that's exactly what I'm looking for.....Where did you find this book? It's almost impossible to find Old Gods... here. The last time I found it, I've seen it really expensive, about R$ 110.....something like 40USD here.

How much did you pay for it?!?
December 28th, 2004 08:42 AM
Madafaka It was a Xmas present. But, this edition is in spanish. The real price is around $ 50 (R$ 52 - USD 17)
When 'Live Licks' was in the streets, you could buy the double cd plus the book for $ 60 (R$ 62 - USD 20)
Try with Fnac! I've buyed a lot of books there.
December 28th, 2004 08:55 AM
mac_daddy stanley booth's "true adventures" (and looking for more 1969 north american tour sources as my soundtrack ).
December 28th, 2004 08:57 AM
egon champagne bottle labels
December 28th, 2004 09:45 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
"How to have anal sex with a hot asian"

I'd love to meet your wife sometime.
December 28th, 2004 09:57 AM
FotiniD I'm about to start reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Memorias De Mis Putas Tristes" and I'd love to get my hands on a book Keith once suggested on his site's "Ask Keith" section. Not only cause Keith said it's good, but because it sounds really different, interesting and unique.

Yep, found it, it's called "From Dawn to Decadence" by Jacques Barzun. In Amazon's book description:

"It is the product of a lifetime of separate studies which he now sets down in one powerful narrative, interspersing his entertaining analysis of wars, philosophy, science, manners, sex, religion, morals, art, et al, from the Reformation to the present day, with biographical sketches of influential historical figures (including Luther, Charles V, Descartes, Bacon, Machiavelli, Shakespeare, Cromwell, Peter the Great, Defoe, Swift, Rubens, Bach, Byron, Pascal, Florence Nightingale, James Joyce…)"

Sounds good, doesn't it?

I love reading almost as much as listening to the Stones. Bookshops are like candy stores One of my big regrets is not being able to read all the books that have been writen in the past and all that will be writen in the future Yep, healthy levels of insanity.
December 28th, 2004 11:02 AM
Madafaka
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I'm about to start reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Memorias De Mis Putas Tristes".

Excellent book FotiniD. Short and awesome.
December 28th, 2004 11:42 AM
Phog I just finished Dylan's "Chronicles". Pretty damn good. Started a book about the Battle of Stalingrad yesterday.
December 28th, 2004 11:50 AM
glencar Just finished "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane last night. I'm not sure what's up next but I usually alternate mysteries/novels with non-fiction/biographies so after 2 straight mysteries it's probably time for Dylan's Chronicles.
December 28th, 2004 12:42 PM
Martha I put "Chronicles" on hold to savor later in the cold winter months ahead in order to read and write a review of this book that is not yet for sale:

"The Boundaries of Her Body: A History of Women's Rights in America" by Debran Rowland, Esq. It's kicking my ass in a good way.

I also received "BOOTLEG: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry" from one of my taper friends for Christmas. :-)

And, thanks to Dr, Filth's hearty recommendation, I have "Shaky" sitting here to read as well.
December 28th, 2004 02:49 PM
Nasty Habits Curtis White's The Middle Mind

I got a kick out of Chronicles, Vol. 1. I decided to dispense with the burden of believing a word of it, and from a purely dialectical pov it is fascinating. That part where he talks about his style of playing lead guitar in the early 90s should be on the back on his next album it's so crazy. Great read.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
December 28th, 2004 03:16 PM
Lazy Bones "Dylan's Visions of Sin" - Ricks
December 28th, 2004 03:20 PM
Gimme Shelter The Jenna Jameson autobiography
December 28th, 2004 03:46 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
The Jenna Jameson autobiography

Is the book ilustrated?!
December 28th, 2004 04:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot "All The Rage"--Ian McLagan(I wasn't born with enough thumbs to raise up for this book.)
"Too Much Too Soon"--some chick(It's a New York Dolls bio, not much new in it.)
"Chronicles Volume 1--Bob Dylan(Writes books like he writes lyrics.)
December 28th, 2004 05:49 PM
Some Guy Joel Osteen- Your Best Life Now.
December 28th, 2004 06:01 PM
F505 It's reading time now: Lonesome Dove by Larry MacMurry.

December 28th, 2004 06:14 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:
It's reading time now: Lonesome Dove by Larry MacMurry.

great book

December 28th, 2004 06:19 PM
CS Rocks Off - The Rolling Stones Message Board
December 28th, 2004 06:32 PM
Gimme Shelter
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Is the book ilustrated?!

No, but it does have some pics.
December 28th, 2004 07:34 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
CS wrote:
Rocks Off - The Rolling Stones Message Board

is that a book?
December 28th, 2004 07:37 PM
iluvmickjagger07 just finished reading the great gatsby
and now i have to read this really long boring book called the arabs. and i have to write a book report over it. stupid teacher giving us hw over winter break
December 28th, 2004 07:38 PM
CS
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
is that a book?

yes, in a different format

December 28th, 2004 11:29 PM
BILL PERKS HELTER SKELTER ..FOR THE 10TH TIME
December 28th, 2004 11:41 PM
Trey Krimsin The Catcher In The Rye
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Adventures Volume Two
December 29th, 2004 11:11 AM
seclusion Gracie Slick's auto and finishing a bio on Marilyn Monroe.

>>Martha wrote: And, thanks to Dr, Filth's hearty recommendation, I have "Shaky" sitting here to read as well>>

"Shaky" Neil Young's bio? I've read it... pretty good but it'so damn long! I think I got to page 500 and browsed the rest. But it was worth the time. Neil is a strange dude... interesting life. I love his music but his guitar playing stinks. lol

>>J.J.Flash wrote: impossible to find Old Gods>>

It's not that hard. Try Amazon or Alibris. I bet you can get it for under $7 bucks, if it's the book I'm thinking of. If you can't find a copy I've got a copy, if you want it.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood