ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, MA - January 13, 2006
© AP Photo/Steven Senne with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Greatest Rock Bassist Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
January 6th, 2006 06:28 AM
Jumacfly Macca plays violin guys!!
what a ugly bass!
January 6th, 2006 07:36 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

1. Bill Wyman
2. Keith Richards (See Dirty Mac, Sympathy for the Devil, etc)
3. Ronnie Wood (see Fingerprint File on Love You Live)
4. Mick Taylor (see Fingerprint File on IORR)
5. Daryl Jones
6. Ox

Mick Taylor on Tumbling Dice too.
January 6th, 2006 07:44 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Macca plays violin guys!!
what a ugly bass!

I actually think it's quite a good-looking bass!

Actually, McCartney switched to a Rickenbaker in '66, but went back to the Violin bass in 1969 for the Get Back sessions.

Another thing I'd like to add is that I think Paul McCartney was one of the most innovative and excellent bassists while with the Beatles. Along with John Entwhistle, I think he bought the instrument to the fore and taught a new generation just how important and wonderful the bass can be when applied properly.

For examples, listen to his playing on Revolver and for Entwhistle, well, any Who track!
January 6th, 2006 08:16 AM
lotsajizz Macca ain't my cup of tea, but he was a superb bass player

January 6th, 2006 08:21 AM
Jumping Jack OX
January 6th, 2006 08:40 AM
J.J.Flash errrr..... I'm not sure about this Flea guy you are talking about, but for sure Fleabit... oh yeah... I dig 'em.... should open for the Stones.....

Hey, don't forget Jack Bruce.....
January 6th, 2006 08:52 AM
Taptrick
dewar

January 6th, 2006 08:56 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I actually think it's quite a good-looking bass!

Actually, McCartney switched to a Rickenbaker in '66, but went back to the Violin bass in 1969 for the Get Back sessions.

Another thing I'd like to add is that I think Paul McCartney was one of the most innovative and excellent bassists while with the Beatles. Along with John Entwhistle, I think he bought the instrument to the fore and taught a new generation just how important and wonderful the bass can be when applied properly.

For examples, listen to his playing on Revolver and for Entwhistle, well, any Who track!

Happy new year Alex.
Excellent post, as usual!!
Rickenbaker is actually the most beautiful bass of history!!
I play on a Us Jazz Bass and it's quite good too.
and,of course Macca is a good bass player!!

but one of the best, in a more hardrockin style is Robert Trujillo.
He did so many good thing with Infectious Grooves that he plays now with Metallica!!
try "do the sinister" or "slow motion slam" from the Infectious cd "sarssipius ark" if you re curious!

cheers
JU
January 6th, 2006 09:14 AM
Paranoid_Android Josef Pelletier as well as Flea from RHCP and Les Claypool because w/o him, Primus would not suck!!!
January 6th, 2006 09:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Happy new year Alex.
Excellent post, as usual!!
cheers
JU

Happy New Year Jumacfly!

Another great post? Why thank you. Yours aren’t too shabby yourself

Just bought the new Strokes album. It's bloody great so far!
January 6th, 2006 10:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Happy New Year Jumacfly!

Another great post? Why thank you. Yours aren’t too shabby yourself

Just bought the new Strokes album. It's bloody great so far!

I will buy it.Hope they will tour in europe this summer for the festivals!

thanks for the kind words
JU
January 6th, 2006 10:07 AM
Joey
quote:
BurtonBassist wrote:
I just wanna hear other peoples opinion on this.

My top 5 (in no special order) are

1. Cliff Burton
2. Geezer Butler
3. John Paul Jones
4. Steve Harris
5. Geddy Lee
6. Duff McKagan

(forgive sp. errors)

John Alec Entwistle

|
|
|
V

January 6th, 2006 10:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hope they will tour in europe this summer for the festivals!
JU

Their UK tour kicks off in Belfast on January 19th. They are taking in eleven cities, plus Dublin as well. That’s a vast improvement on their last visit over here. They've obviously scaling down a bit though. Although they are playing in more areas this time round, the venues are smaller. They're not surround by hype like they were a few years back. I caught them last time around at Alexandra Palace. I'd love to se them this time around, but missed out.

If they are touring the UK, then other Euro dates and summer festivals must be round the corner.

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
January 6th, 2006 10:20 AM
Joey " Their UK tour kicks off in Belfast on January 19th. They are taking in eleven cities, plus Dublin as well. That’s a vast improvement on their last visit over here. They've obviously scaling down a bit though. Although they are playing in more areas this time round, the venues are smaller. They're not surround by hype like they were a few years back. I caught them last time around at Alexandra Palace. I'd love to se them this time around, but missed out.

If they are touring the UK, then other Euro dates and summer festivals must be round the corner. "

W- W- W- What ?!?! ......

" The new edition of Mojo magazine (Feb 2006) has The Who as their cover stars. The magazine features new interviews with Pete and Roger, where they talk about the past, present and future. The feature, which also has an article looking at Quadrophenia, runs over 18 pages and also features new photos by Ross Halfin (who also took the cover shot).

Also included is a 15 track CD of cover versions of classic Who tracks, entitled 'Covered'. The CD includes the following tracks:

Disguises - The Jam
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - The Flaming Lips
My Generation - The Bards
I Can't Explain - Snuff
The Real Me - Fastball
Mary Anne with the shaky hand - The Greenhornes
Substitute - The Litter
Heinz Baked Beans - Doleful Lions
Behind Blue Eyes - Pat Dinizio
Tattoo - Tommy Keene
A Legal Matter - Richard Thompson
Baba O'Riley - Waco Brothers
I Can See For Miles - Lord Sitar
Pinball Wizard - Sandy Nelson
Armenia - Petra Haden "

January 6th, 2006 10:52 AM
patioaintdry Bruce Thomas (Elvis Costello and the Attractions)

Mike Watt (Minutemen, Firehose)
January 6th, 2006 11:01 AM
Joey
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
The Ox. Just watched Rock and Roll Circus the other night and was blown away by the Who's performance - Entwhistle could sing some nice harmonies, too.

I would like to nuzzle you .
January 6th, 2006 11:14 AM
Scottfree 1. Bill Wyman
1a. Bernard Edwards
January 6th, 2006 11:18 AM
Saint Sway Jack White's foot pedal
January 6th, 2006 11:23 AM
gustavobala wymman
Entwistle
j.p.jones
January 6th, 2006 11:41 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Jack White's foot pedal

WTF? I was unaware of such a device cos I've never seen em live. Could you elaborate?
January 6th, 2006 11:47 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox
January 6th, 2006 11:50 AM
Zeeta
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

WTF? I was unaware of such a device cos I've never seen em live. Could you elaborate?

Yes he switches between bass and regular 'lectric guitar sound with the foot pedal - oui?
January 6th, 2006 12:03 PM
jb
quote:
bez85 wrote:
Jack Bruce
Macca

You shall not be greeted.
January 6th, 2006 12:11 PM
BILL PERKS bernard edwards
January 6th, 2006 12:12 PM
Joey " Jack Bruce
Macca "

<----- You shall NOT be greeted !!!!
January 6th, 2006 12:13 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
bernard edwards

Great Call !!!!

Chic Joea'
January 6th, 2006 12:25 PM
FPM C10 We did this not long ago, didn't we?

I don't like guys who overplay (Geddy Lee, etc). The bass is in the rhythm section. I liked the Ox a lot but he was one of a kind.

My favorites blend melodic fills while never letting the rhythm falter. McCartney used to be a master. The late great James Jamerson influenced him a lot.

Bruce Thomas was amazing in his day. What's he doing now?

Upright players, like the guy in the Tennessee Two, are like one-man rhythm sections. Too cool.

Thanks for putting me on the list, Jay! Did you check out our website?
January 6th, 2006 12:36 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

John Alec Entwistle

|
|
|
V

Joseph,

Check out The Who - Who's Next DVD by Image Entertainment - Classic Albums. They isolate Entwistle's bass on a studio take of Won't Get Fooled Again - its unreal what that guy could do. Daltrey narrates over it and he's exclaiming away in cockney - great Who moment.
January 6th, 2006 12:48 PM
BILL PERKS RUSH MAKES MY TESTICLES TAUT AND PAINFUL
January 6th, 2006 01:31 PM
speedfreakjive Adam Clayton, any detractors should go and listen to Until The End Of The World, maybe the best rythm section intro ever.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)