ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, MA - January 13, 2006
© AP Photo/Steven Senne with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Greatest Rock Bassist Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
January 5th, 2006 09:33 PM
BurtonBassist I just wanna hear other peoples opinion on this.

My top 5 (in no special order) are

1. Cliff Burton
2. Geezer Butler
3. John Paul Jones
4. Steve Harris
5. Geddy Lee
6. Duff McKagan

(forgive sp. errors)
January 5th, 2006 09:36 PM
jb Bill Wyman
January 5th, 2006 09:49 PM
jb Bill Wyman and John Entwhitle were both great..being the #1 Stones fan on the net,naturally I go with my guy. I would even pick Ronnie over any other bands guitar player..I am loyal to my favorite group,,not some cock sucking U2/Beatles lover.
[Edited by jb]
January 5th, 2006 09:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Tony Levin
January 5th, 2006 09:50 PM
jb
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Tony Levin

A good Jewish bass player.
January 5th, 2006 09:51 PM
Riffhard Uhhh,pretty easy answer to this,and really no contest as far as technical ability is concerned. The Ox. Entwhistle is hands down the greatest rock bass player ever. Listen to his run on My Generation! Or The Real Me! C'mon now Bill,while very capable,could never play at The Ox's level.

As for the greatest bass player in recent memory,not only rock and roll? Gotta go with Stanley Clarke. I saw him with Return to Forever (Al DeMemiola,Chic Corea,and Lenny White). Having seen many great bassist over the years,including the great Cliff Burton,I can say without hesitation that nobody comes close to Stanley for sheer talent. My jaw dropped while watching that man play.

Riffy
January 5th, 2006 09:52 PM
jb
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Uhhh,pretty easy answer to this,and really no contest as far as technical ability is concerned. The Ox. Entwhistle is hands down the greatest rock bass player ever. Listen to his run on My Generation! Or The Real Me! C'mon now Bill,while very capable,could never play at The Ox's level.

As for the greatest bass player in recent memory,not only rock and roll? Gotta go with Stanley Clarke. I saw him with Return to Forever (Al DeMemiola,Chic Corea,and Lenny White). Having seen many great bassist over the years,including the great Cliff Burton,I can say without hesitation that nobody comes close to Stanley for sheer talent. My jaw dropped while watching that man play.

Riffy

Rif, Bill was better than the Ox..both great, but Bill , Charlie, and Keith had something called a "groove"/The Who, my 2nd fav band is great, but they are not a powerful rhythym section
January 5th, 2006 09:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Agree Stanley Clarke is one of the best, but it's not rock oriented at all, his solo work is more jazzy but very good with the New Barbarians

One of the first bassist I saw live was Gary Thain and he was great too, he passed away long long time ago

But in terms of precision and technique nobody is close to Tony Levin, so if the wiestion is "Greatest Rock Bassist"
January 5th, 2006 09:59 PM
texile macca
January 5th, 2006 10:04 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:

Rif, Bill was better than the Ox..both great, but Bill , Charlie, and Keith had something called a "groove"/The Who, my 2nd fav band is great, but they are not a powerful rhythym section

I appreciate your staunch devotion to "The Cause" Josh. I agree that the Stones' rhythm section is really second to none. However,if I had a gun to my head,and was told to choose the best bass player I would always say the Ox. Kinda an apple and oranges argument though. Many Who fans could make a very valid argument about Moonie and Entwhistle being the best rhythem section. As I am more of a Stones fan I would always side with Bill and Charlie though.

Riffhard
January 5th, 2006 10:07 PM
jb
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

I appreciate your staunch devotion to "The Cause" Josh. I agree that the Stones' rhythm section is really second to none. However,if I had a gun to my head,and was told to choose the best bass player I would always say the Ox. Kinda an apple and oranges argument though. Many Who fans could make a very valid argument about Moonie and Entwhistle being the best rhythem section. As I am more of a Stones fan I would always side with Bill and Charlie though.

Riffhard

You shall be greeted!!!
January 5th, 2006 10:20 PM
full moon Simon Gallup, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire......
January 5th, 2006 10:22 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:

You shall be greeted!!!

As shall you! I look forward to another greeting my Boca brother!

Riffy
January 5th, 2006 10:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
texile wrote:
macca

1. Bill Wyman
2. Keith Richards (See Dirty Mac, Sympathy for the Devil, etc)
3. Ronnie Wood (see Fingerprint File on Love You Live)
4. Mick Taylor (see Fingerprint File on IORR)
5. Daryl Jones
6. Ox
January 5th, 2006 10:42 PM
Egbert I would have to cast my vote to The Ox.
January 5th, 2006 10:58 PM
Riffhard
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

1. Bill Wyman
2. Keith Richards (See Dirty Mac, Sympathy for the Devil, etc)
3. Ronnie Wood (see Fingerprint File on Love You Live)
4. Mick Taylor (see Fingerprint File on IORR)
5. Daryl Jones
6. Ox

You are devoted to "The Cause",and I salute you! You shall be greeted!

Riffy
January 5th, 2006 11:11 PM
Paranoid_Android Tony Levin...a close second is Les Claypool...Joesf Pelletier a distant third followed by Paul Simonon w/ Sid Viciuos leading the rest of the pack!!!

Macca...uhm...does he really play the bass?!?
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
January 5th, 2006 11:11 PM
Maxmeister Ox
John Paul Jones
Geddy Lee
Jack Bruce
Bill Wyman [ok, call me biased]

Rick
January 5th, 2006 11:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Tony Levin...a close second is Les Claypool...Joesf Pelletier a distant third w/ Sid Viciuos leading the rest of the pack!!!

You shall be greeted for your rock knowledge and good taste in music
January 5th, 2006 11:18 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
jb wrote:

A good Jewish bass player.

And a VERY codial,professional man...I have had the pleasure of meeting Tony on numerous occasions...very soft spoken in person and VICIOUS as well as SCAREY on stage
January 5th, 2006 11:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, he's a very nice guy. He e-mailed me to ask for authorization to use this photo from the opening show oif the 2002-2003 in his website. Later when the tour ended I e-mailed him back to ask him to deliver this letter to Peter

Watching Tony playing live makes you think it's a very easy instrument, he's the bass master.
January 6th, 2006 12:09 AM
parmeda Excuse me gentlemen, but I would like to add none other than Donald Duck Dunn (Booker T. & the MG's)

The dude's got one hell of a resume.

...'nuff said. Please, carry on.
January 6th, 2006 12:37 AM
MikeyC613 Flea.
January 6th, 2006 01:12 AM
Taptrick

January 6th, 2006 02:55 AM
UGot2Rollme The Ox. Just watched Rock and Roll Circus the other night and was blown away by the Who's performance - Entwhistle could sing some nice harmonies, too.
January 6th, 2006 03:13 AM
Jumacfly Bill for sure!!!!
Stanley Clarke did a superb song with the Primus bassist (what a crazy guy!!), I ll post it this week end!!
Also Flea,the guy from RATM....
January 6th, 2006 03:13 AM
Jumacfly the 2 FAces bassists, Tetsu and Ronnie Lane!
January 6th, 2006 05:45 AM
geecee JOHN ENTWISLE

honorable mentions to....

Bill Wyman
Ronnie Lane
J.P.Jones
Roger Waters
Stuart Morrow (New Model Army)
January 6th, 2006 05:52 AM
lotsajizz Entwistle
Lesh
Shakespeare
Gunn
Levin
Barrett
Dunn
Dixon
Cassidy
Bruce
January 6th, 2006 06:26 AM
bez85 Jack Bruce
Macca
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)