ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympiahalle -Munich September 28th, 1973
Michael Putlin

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lott Resigns (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-20-02 12:30 PM
Martha 12/20/2002��11:27:48�EST
RON EDMONDS/AP Photo
Sen. Lott Resigns As Republican Leader

Bowing to pressure from his fellow senators and the Bush White House, Sen. Trent Lott resigned his position as Senate majority leader on Friday after his colleagues openly began lining up behind Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist.

"In the interest of pursuing the best possible agenda for the future of our country, I will not seek to remain as majority leader of the United States Senate for the 108th Congress, effective Jan. 6, 2003," Lott said in a written statement. "To all those who offered me their friendship, support and prayers, I will be eternally grateful. I will continue to serve the people of Mississippi in the United States Senate."

Lott's methodical resignation - a terse statement released from the office of Senate Republican leader here - culminated a weeks-long controversy over Lott's racially insensitive comments.

His decision amounted to a 180-degree about-face.

Earlier this week, Lott had vowed to stay and fight, saying that "I was elected by the people of Mississippi to a six year term. ... I have a contract and I'm going to fulfill it."

Lott's fall followed a tribute that Lott gave earlier this month at Sen. Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party.

The Mississippian at the time hailed the venerable South Carolinian and said he thought the nation would have been better off if Thurmond had won his campaign for the presidency in 1948. Thurmond ran as a Dixiecrat at the time, on a mostly segregationist platform.

One Republican official said that Lott's office had informed White House officials beforehand of his decision. Despite speculation that Lott would demand a committee chairmanship or some other consolation prize, this official said Lott was stepping down with no strings attached.

Lott, 61, has been the Senate GOP leader since 1996, when Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., left the Senate to devote full time to his unsuccessful presidential bid.

At the Thurmond birthday party, Lott said: "I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either."

The remarks drew immediate criticism from black leaders and Democrats. They were quickly joined by conservatives worried that the comments would create a distracting firestorm that would harm the White House's and GOP's efforts to advance their legislative agenda.

While Lott initially attempted to stomp out the controversy with a terse press release and telephone interviews on radio and television, it began to spin out of control after President Bush issued a forceful denunciation of his remarks last week.

With Lott's departure, the only declared candidate for his post so far has been Sen. Bill Frist, a close ally of President Bush. Frist, who made his candidacy known Thursday evening, has so far garnered public support from at least seven senators.

But Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania were considered possible rivals for the job.

The 51 GOP senators who will serve in the next Congress plan to meet Jan. 6 to decide who their next leader will be.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press.
12-20-02 12:42 PM
parmeda Truly, a sad day for Mr Lott.
I can only think of one thing to say...'What goes around, comes around.'

Merry Christmas Martha! Have a great Holiday
12-20-02 12:47 PM
Scottfree Total sham, quite the effective witchhunt, I guess in the liberals eyes words speak louder than actions (i.e. Senator Byrd, KKK meaning anything to ya?) Oh by the way Lott's comments were made about a than Democrat Seanator Thurmond.
12-20-02 12:53 PM
nankerphelge Most y'all know my political leanings. But I am nothing if not consistent -- Dem. or Repub., this guy asked for it. Sure it was a witch-hunt, but he went in with his eyes and mouth wide open and got precisely what he deserved!

12-20-02 12:54 PM
Martha
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Truly, a sad day for Mr Lott.
I can only think of one thing to say...'What goes around, comes around.'

Amen to that one!

Merry Christmas Martha! Have a great Holiday

And a Happy Holiday wish to you Pam. I am so happy we've met this year......,, at the auspicious Rocks Off web-site!

Did Ronnie really draw that picture Pam..or did the Grinch Steal Christmas AGAIN!?
12-20-02 01:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Witch hunt? Oh that's a good one.

Please explain how this was any different from the Bill Clinton witch hunt.

Paybacks are a motherfucker. And national politics are nothing more than one set of witch hunts after another. On both sides.

It's one of the main reasons that I became an registered independent.

Oh, did I mention that I could care less about ANY of this shit.

Now the story behind how Voodoo got that Woody sketch is infinately more interesting.....
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
12-20-02 01:01 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Total sham, quite the effective witchhunt, I guess in the liberals eyes words speak louder than actions (i.e. Senator Byrd, KKK meaning anything to ya?) Oh by the way Lott's comments were made about a than Democrat Seanator Thurmond.

Have you been paying attention? His own party smoked him, because of his insane global apology tour. His off the cuff remark would have blown over in days, like it did the first 10 times he said it, but the nutjob went to BET, the most deranged network on cable, and said he was for affirmative action!

"Sure Ed, I love arbitrary race based hiring quotas. Always have. And yes, OJ was framed, the LA riots were legitmate expressions of black anger, Ebonics should be taught in every school, uhh....lessee, Huey Newton day? Let me be clear on this Ed, I'll suck your dick if it means I get to keep my job."

What a fucking loser. Bitchslapped by a hack talk show host on BET. I can't remember anyone sending themselves down the tubes faster than that yo-yo. The Republican party has no need for twits like that. I wish they clean more of them out, maybe I'd go back.
12-20-02 01:10 PM
nankerphelge Well, I think the activities that led to the Clinton witch-hunt were far different than the witch-hunt for Lott, obviously. Lott made some comments that were inappropriate. Clinton, on the other hand, had sex with a subordinate in the Oval Office. Some may fail to see any difference -- I think it's night and day.

But that isn't the point. As I said, Dem or Repub., if you fuck up in any way, you open yourself up to the polictial process and often it is a witch-hunt. In that respect, it is no different. Nor should it be.

12-20-02 01:11 PM
Scottfree
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Have you been paying attention? His own party smoked him, because of his insane global apology tour. His off the cuff remark would have blown over in days, like it did the first 10 times he said it, but the nutjob went to BET, the most deranged network on cable, and said he was for affirmative action!

"Sure Ed, I love arbitrary race based hiring quotas. Always have. And yes, OJ was framed, the LA riots were legitmate expressions of black anger, Ebonics should be taught in every school, uhh....lessee, Huey Newton day? Let me be clear on this Ed, I'll suck your dick if it means I get to keep my job."

What a fucking loser. Bitchslapped by a hack talk show host on BET. I can't remember anyone sending themselves down the tubes faster than that yo-yo. The Republican party has no need for twits like that. I wish they clean more of them out, maybe I'd go back.

Hey I actually agree with you, and I do believe he has to go, however, I believe his comment was taken out of context and blown out of proportion, I'm sorry that kind of scares me... The whole reason the Republicans hammered him is because they don't want the Stigma attached to them seeing as how the media is controlled by the left, it would be easily acheived. The reason some of the left wanted to forgive him was the just the reverse, they wanted to be able to attach that stigma to the right as they have for 50 years. I see where your coming from but your taking something at face value, that digs much deeper. This plot of forgiveness by the dems was just that a plot.
12-20-02 01:18 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Witch hunt? Oh that's a good one.

Please explain how this was any different from the Bill Clinton witch hunt.

Paybacks are a motherfucker. And national politics are nothing more than one set of witch hunts after another. On both sides.

It's one of the main reasons that I became an registered independent.

Oh, did I mention that I could care less about ANY of this shit.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

IT is a good one Sir, and I'll tell you the difference...
Clinton performed an action, he obstrcuted justice and abused his power, and I'm not talking about Monica L. He wouldn't ahve his day in court with Paula Jones which is what lead up to Monica (I don't give a damn about the sex, I'm concerned about obstruction of justice). Lott on the other hand merley made a comment, so you see my original statement, words speak louder than actions certainly rings true.
12-20-02 01:19 PM
sirmoonie His party killed him because if he stayed, he would have effectively killed any serious debate over the cons, and there are many, of affirmative action programs.

I think guys like Frist, etc. were waiting for him to screw up so they could get him out. Lott has nothing to do with true conservative politics.

Plus he looks like a headwall turbo-geek.

Plus, I'm drunk at noon and feeling really happy about seeing the Stones in UCie this Jan. 22. Anything I saw is absolutely correct at this point and should not be disagreed with.
12-20-02 01:24 PM
nankerphelge Yeah! I agree...
12-20-02 01:28 PM
KeepRigid I really thought he was making a PR comeback, especially with the new, hip name change to 'T Lo'.

(Ok, mad propz to Conan for stealing his joke.)
12-20-02 01:31 PM
parmeda
quote:
Did Ronnie really draw that picture Pam..or did the Grinch Steal Christmas AGAIN!?

Oh Martha, I'm sure he did! Voo wouldn't have posted it if it weren't the real thing...and BTW, where in the hell is he?

SS....I read your post and I started doin' the 'happy dance'!
...F*CK THAT PR*CK!!!

12-20-02 01:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh. I see. Some witch hunts are justified, while others are not?

Horse-shit.

If the Clinton thing had just been about obstruction of justice, or abuse of power....then why delve into the President's personal life? IMO, that is the very definition of a political witch hunt.

I should point out that Trent Lott's political existence to me is completely trivial. It means nothing to me if he keeps his job or not. Quite frankly, I don't really care about Bill Clinton getting his cock sucked either.

It all sucks. It's about power, not "Of the people, by the people, and for the people". Fuck 'em all.
12-20-02 01:37 PM
Nasty Habits Two wise men said it best:

A choice of cancer or polio.

12-20-02 01:40 PM
parmeda SS...you're making me dance again hon!
12-20-02 01:41 PM
sirmoonie I'll drink to that!

Actually, I am drinking to that.

Here's to that!
12-20-02 01:44 PM
nankerphelge I didn't say that at all -- in fact, just the opposite.

In my mind, if you fuck up in public office -- regardless of the merits -- you know damn well that it could end up in a witch-hunt and your career could tank.

12-20-02 01:59 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
In my mind, if you fuck up in public office -- regardless of the merits -- you know damn well that it could end up in a witch-hunt and your career could tank.

Thats why I close the door when I get fucked up in my office.

Like right now!

Ohhhhh, what a feeling, when I'm dancing on the ceiling!
12-20-02 02:02 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Oh. I see. Some witch hunts are justified, while others are not?

Horse-shit.

If the Clinton thing had just been about obstruction of justice, or abuse of power....then why delve into the President's personal life? IMO, that is the very definition of a political witch hunt.

Puhhlease, just about obstruction of justice or abuse of power???? Yeah those are two minor little incidents and actually, wasn't it dubbed as a right wing conspiracy that was actually complete reality. If there was a witch hunt in this case it was justified.

It all sucks. It's about power, not "Of the people, by the people, and for the people". Fuck 'em all.

Couldn't agree more, I want to throw each and everyone of them out of power, R or D....

12-20-02 02:03 PM
Scottfree
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Ohhhhh, what a feeling, when I'm dancing on the ceiling!

Oh how I yearn to hear Mr. Richie....
12-20-02 02:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Thass what I do baby. Make the girlies dance.

And if they been really naughty...I makes 'em holler!

Repeatedly.

Snorkle Naked!
12-20-02 02:15 PM
Joey Lott was betrayed by his own party -- shameful !

Too bad he is not as tough as one William Jefferson Clinton , huh ???????

How many scandals did Slick Willy survive ????? Eight ????? Nine ??????

Simply Amazing !
12-20-02 02:21 PM
sirmoonie Celebrity boxing: Trent Lott versus Art Garfunkel.

Joey! Sojourn to Chicago. Feeeeeel The Drive.
12-20-02 02:23 PM
Joey DENVER MOONIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mountains call you like the sirens upon the rocks !
12-20-02 02:38 PM
sirmoonie Joey! I can't see you on the tundra. Throw some fire bombs up in the air!
12-20-02 02:40 PM
Joey " Joey! I can't see you on the tundra. Throw some fire bombs up in the air! "

What ? And wake up the Viet Cong ????????????????????????????????????? Are you crazy ????????????

12-20-02 02:44 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Joey wrote:
Lott was betrayed by his own party -- shameful !

Too bad he is not as tough as one William Jefferson Clinton , huh ???????

How many scandals did Slick Willy survive ????? Eight ????? Nine ??????

Simply Amazing !

Scandals?? actual realities. Tough you say, you really mean without shame, in that I envy Willie. He put himself above all others, that is the difference.
12-20-02 02:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot Joey, you dumbass....there ain't no VC in the tundra...those are ESKIMOS!
Page: 1 2 3