ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHO IS THE BEST IN THE GUITAR ??? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-15-02 09:15 PM
Maxlugar Ok lets stop fucking around!

Keith Richards is the best "all around" guitar player.

Even thouugh he can't come close to blowing my mind like Jeff Beck.

Who else can play shit like the stuff on Voodoo Brew?

12-15-02 09:22 PM
gypsy Well, I think young Maxy was pretty damn good in the old days. Young Maxy had the pose down and everything!
12-15-02 09:29 PM
Maxlugar Young Maxy, or even middle age Maxy (wink wink) has ALL the poses down just right mein little Gypsy Gyps Gyps!

Lets talk about US.

Will Maxy's new Little Turtle Dove be coming to NYC this January?

Does she have the "rocks"?

I'll just say Maxy has incredible "ab" power.

Developing........

Hard........

MAXY!!!!
12-15-02 09:35 PM
Monkey Woman "Who's the best in the guitar?"
Hmmm... Mr Fender or maybe Mr Gibbson?
12-15-02 09:40 PM
gypsy Maxy, I'm only going to the OKC show on January 28th. But, sure wish I could join all of you in NYC, or anywhere else for that matter. I wish the Stones would just play Owen Stadium like they did in '97. I could just walk there, plus there wouldn't be so much white trash. But, I'll take the Stones however I can get 'em.
12-15-02 10:52 PM
Highwire Rob Best in the Guitar is definitely Keif Riffhard.

I remember the Pearl Jam guitarist paying homage to him in a TV interview years ago by describing how no one is like Keith in taking just two strings and jamming the hell out of them in infinitely new ways.

Melissa Etheridge also said as much in an RS magazine a couple years back.

I agree with these musicians & Keith fans. And repeating what I thought in the "Best Keith Intro" thread, it's that impeccable timing in his head for releasing, braking, overlapping, etc. those fuzz notes & chords. That timing can't be quantified or imitated. It's just Keith Richards. Those bursts of electric sound and those bursts of silence. I believe a Keithfucius would say of this Zen guitar: It's not just the notes he puts in but the notes he leaves out!

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-16-02 03:39 AM
F505 Well spoken Highwire Rob. Keith is just hors categorie.
12-16-02 02:00 PM
David There's a dude named carlos santana. I know of another guy named stevie ray vaughn. He's dead though.
12-16-02 02:24 PM
Street Fighting Man Let's see, if we break it down into some categories:

Fastest - Jimi Page (camera couldn't even follow his fingers)
Melody - Dickie Betts (boy can he make that guitar sing)
Lead - Carlos Santana (incredible ability to play those notes)
Rhythm - Keith Richards (the "grittiest" player ever)

Nough said!
12-16-02 02:46 PM
jb Carlos just accompanied Faith Hill in "Breath"..enough said!!
12-16-02 04:00 PM
woodywoodpecker In my honest opinion
ROCK:
KEITH RICHARDS/RONNIE WOOD/CHUCK BERRY

PERFECTION PLAYERS:
MICK RONSON/DAVID GILMOUR

SLIDE:
RONNIE WOOD/JOHNNY WINTER
12-16-02 04:05 PM
sasca Mmm. Mick Ronson was great. Brian Jones' slide. Syd Barrett's glissandi.
12-16-02 04:08 PM
jb Littler Mick Ronson is mentioned in Wymans new book..looks a bit like the late Randy Rhoades of Crazy Train/Ozzy fame.
12-16-02 04:11 PM
sasca His solo work is very underrated - 'Hey Ma! Get Pappa'; 'Growing Up and I'm Fine.' And he's the co-author of one of rock's greatest images.
12-16-02 04:19 PM
stonedinaustralia all these people that you mention are all talented players no doubt - but i'd say it's all pretty much subjective views - keith is obviously my of my favourites - and SS is right re robert johnson - his place and name in the scheme of things is no hype

but, speaking as objectively as possible, i can't see how you can go past hendrix - he was truly revoltionary - one of the few influential musicins ( or artist of any form in the C20th or any other) that comletely revoltionized not only his instrument but his "art" as well - so much so that he was almost scientific (albeit, it would seem, by following nothing but his intuition)in his breakthroughs

he is the man

go on, tell em i'm wrong...

12-16-02 04:52 PM
sasca What about non 'r'n'r musicians? Or are we only talking about rock, with a hint of blues?
12-16-02 07:00 PM
Prodigal Son Oh, Joey, I feel the love for Petey Wetey O Pavidgar Baba Townshend. He has amazing chops on rhythm I'd say. Classifying the best under certain styles does work better. Let's see:
Blues: SRV-sorry he's damn good, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Albert King.
Speed: Buckethead (but he sucks so it doesn't count), then let's say Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads.
Rhythm: Keef, Pete Townshend, Woody, Jimmy Page.
Inventive leads: Carlos Santana, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Duane Allman/Dicky Betts, Randy Rhoads.
Technical Wizardry (cool sounds using): Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour.
Riffing: Keith is the best by far.

12-16-02 07:06 PM
sasca Useful. But I�d drop the Speed guitarits for a start. And I�d include Brian Jones and Syd Barrett under Inventive leads, and Syd under the technical section.

How about the composer Sor? He did a lot for guitar composition.
[Edited by sasca]
12-16-02 07:08 PM
sasca Django Reinhardt.
12-16-02 07:09 PM
sasca Charlie Christian.
12-16-02 07:10 PM
sasca John Williams.
12-16-02 07:11 PM
sasca Mauro Giuliani.
12-16-02 07:12 PM
sasca Flavio Cucchi.
12-16-02 07:13 PM
sasca Abigail James.
12-16-02 07:14 PM
Highwire Rob Let's put Angus Young in the rhythm and "grittiest" category as well. And the most energetic! Man, what power that little dude can get out of minimalist chord structures is, of course, already legendary.

Keif & Angus, now that's a pair! Any of the Aussie members on this site know if they ever jammed together?

Now that would be exhilarating!

--Rob.
12-16-02 07:15 PM
sasca Andr�s Segovia.
12-16-02 07:20 PM
sasca Pepe Romero.
12-16-02 07:21 PM
sasca God knows how many gypsies whose names I don�t know.
12-16-02 07:21 PM
sasca George Harrisson, who could say more in two notes than most guitarists in twenty.
12-16-02 07:22 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sasca wrote:
Charlie Christian.

yes, he certanly deserves a mention - a precusor to hendrix in away (much like robert johnson)
Page: 1 2 3