ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 25 albums that should never have been made... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12-03-03 11:43 AM
Gazza Also Sprach Sirstonesalot>Now Gazza, you know why I dislike Budokan so much. Your own point illustrates it for me. Bob was doing stellar gigs in 78...so what happened when they rolled tape? It's like they forgot what that tour was all about! And fuckin' Columbia trotted it out anyhow. It never shoulda happened...isn't that what this list thingy was about...albums that never shoulda happened?

just one thing to remember on that point. "Budokan" was originally released ONLY in Japan by CBS/Sony in September 1978 as a souvenir for his Japanese fans of his first tour there. That was the whole point of its release. It was only when so many import copies began flooding into Europe and North America that CBS relented and gave it a worldwide release in spring 1979. So,yes, while the summer European shows from 1978 were the apex of that tour, they werent considered for release simply because it was never intended to release anything from '78 other than a limited edition release for a limited market. So, to get it in context - it was only released worldwide as an afterthought. Better we got it than nothing at all from that tour IMO.

I like the arrangements on it and the performances..and it's still a far superior Dylan live album than "Real Live" or "Dylan and The Dead".
12-03-03 11:44 AM
glencar Will I get into trouble for clicking on Pete's site?
12-03-03 11:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Okay I think I understand. But what should never have been released...NONE OF FRANK ZAPPA'S RECORDS. I don't understand it and I don't get it. I had an aquaintence in High school in the late 60's who collected all that Zappa stuff. He tried to turn alot of us kids on to it but it never registered. And after I left high school I saw that 200 Motels which I vaguely remember. That didn't register either. I gave up. Maybe now I should try again.
12-03-03 12:01 PM
glencar If you didn't "get" it then, you won't get it now. I like the pop Zappa but only in small doses.
12-03-03 12:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah those were the days. However I did become quite an evangelist for The Rolling Stones in those days. That I understood or thought I did. This is it. NIRVANA.
12-03-03 12:05 PM
glencar I've converted quite a few people. Even if they're not the fan I am, they don't continually bash the Stones.
12-03-03 12:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
If you didn't "get" it then, you won't get it now. I like the pop Zappa but only in small doses.

Well, I don't know. Those thing's sometimes only lack "one missing piece". But you're right. Small doses.
12-03-03 12:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've converted quite a few people. Even if they're not the fan I am, they don't continually bash the Stones.

Who "continually bashes" the Stones?
12-03-03 12:12 PM
glencar Some friends & family but it's in the past.
12-03-03 12:35 PM
Factory Girl Nasty! Did you listen to "Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car?" on Zooropa?? I like that song.

Glencar-you can still get Zooropa.

I think Ig released very good stuff in the 80's-Instinct rocked and B by B was very good also. And who likes "Naughty Little Doggie"???
12-03-03 01:07 PM
Joey
My bowels have REALLY been truckin this morning ...........................and yours ?!?!?!?!

Please .....................I's justs gots to's knows !

Jacky Turd !
12-03-03 11:14 PM
glencar FG, I looked for it used today. No luck but I'll find it soon enough.
12-03-03 11:31 PM
BILL PERKS STU WAS THERE DURING DIRTY WORK SESSIONS AND WHILE HE PROBABLY HATED BACK TO ZERO,HE THOUGHT HAD IT WITH YOU,FIGHT,ONE HIT AND DIRTY WORK WERE CLASSIC STONES.. THE RAGE!!!!!!!!!!DON'T MENTION STU OR DIRTY WORK UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKIN BOUT.
ALBUMS THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MADE
FORTY LICKS
METAMORPHOSIS
EDDIE MURPHY-PARTY ALL THE TIME
CSN-LIVE IT UP
MICK TAYLOR
MEN AT WORK-TWO HEARTS
VAN HALEN III
ALL THE POISON RECORDS
ALL PETE TOWNSENDS SOLO RECORDS ARE GREAT!
12-03-03 11:34 PM
glencar What's the problem with Back To Zero? Hold Back is a much bigger bag of shite.
12-04-03 01:09 AM
Prodigal Son The Pete bashing from the article is unjust because for sure his solo albums kick ass. The Beatle bashing I don't particularly agree with, but we'll forget that-after all, this is a Stones board (ouch, how do you think the Beatles' boards speak of the Stones if RO hates them for the most part!?). Rough Mix with Ronnie Lane is just brilliant-"My Baby Gives it Away," "Annie," "April's Fool," "Misunderstood," "Street in the City," "Heart to Hang onto." An exuberant A in my book. People who diss Pete's more mellow work are like the fans who bash every ballad Keith wrote in the 70s and early 80s despite the obvious brilliances. He doesn't HAVE to rock out all the time.

An A has to go to Empty Glass. Who can argue with it. Sure, "Rough Boys" is odd, but a real thrilling song. Even though All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes was a step down (in title especially, whaa?), it was great for 80ssound music. If he'd reserved some of his best stuff for the Who, it'd be less of a travesty.

"Eminence Front"-the only true classic from 1981-82 by the Who-Knows-why-they-continued-after-1978.
Anyhow, it gets a B+ in my book, I really like "The Sea Refuses No River," "Stardom in Action," "Face Dances, pt. two," "Somebody Saved Me," and "Slit Skirts." The funky soul on White City is underrated as well. That pseudo-rap "Face the Face" and "Give Blood" are also good. Even at his worst, Pete stands clear and above most rock hacks.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
12-04-03 08:44 AM
glencar "Face the Face" was the song he did with his daughter, right?
12-04-03 10:25 AM
Joey
" Pete stands clear and above most rock hacks "

Prodigal Son ...............You are a very witty , smart and intelligent human being and you are much loved by the Joey .

" Even though All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes was a step down (in title especially, whaa?), it was great for 80ssound music. If he'd reserved some of his best stuff for the Who, it'd be less of a travesty. "

Actually , " Chinese Eyes " is a damn good album . Notice the passion Pete puts into his solo discs around this time and NOT " THE WHO " discs he made.

"Eminence Front"-the only true classic from 1981-82 by the Who-Knows-why-they-continued-after-1978.
Anyhow, it gets a B+ in my book, I really like "The Sea Refuses No River," "Stardom in Action," "Face Dances, pt. two," "Somebody Saved Me," and "Slit Skirts." The funky soul on White City is underrated as well. "

I would like to nuzzle you .

For Kit : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacko !

12-04-03 01:28 PM
scratched I like 'Never Let Me Down'. *

* this is a lie.
12-04-03 04:35 PM
T&A Gazza & SSA:

On the Budokan topic -

The Budokan shows (in fact the Japan and Australian legs) were not nearly as good in general as the European and US legs. Gazza's right - Bob didn't want to release the Budokan outside of Japan for that reason. Several factors involved from what I've read contributed to improved shows later in the year - including the hiring of a much better drummer. But, it has nothing to do with when tape was rolling. In fact, all of the US shows were recorded for posterity by Bob...and I guarantee you that something from these tapes will be among the future release(s) on the Official Bootleg Series....something to salivate over, for srue...

Having said that - I still adore the Budokan album...
12-04-03 08:34 PM
Gazza >What's the problem with Back To Zero? Hold Back is a much bigger bag of shite.

One of the first things we've agreed on this week! (although I think Back to Zero is pretty turgid). "Hold Back" is one of the very few Rolling Stones songs I find completely unlistenable. A mess.

>"Face the Face" was the song he did with his daughter, right?

I don't THINK so, although I may be wrong. maybe someone better qualified than I could tell you who's on it. Pete DID write,produce and play on a hard to find single around the early 80's called "Peppermint Lump" by some kid called Angie or something like that. She was about ten or so. I'm not sure if she was his daughter or not. Maybe thats the song you're thinkin' about?

12-04-03 10:34 PM
Child of the Moon Prodigal Son - I'm glad you said that about Neil's Hawks and Doves. I feel the same way. Side 2 gets very tedious... only Union Man really redeems it for me, and that's just because it's a funny song. Side one, on the other hand, is certainly one of Shakey's most beautiful achievements ever committed to vinyl. That whole side is just incomparably pretty - Little Wing, Lost in Space, etc. I put that one on when I want to relax.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to Neil, in that I pretty much enjoy all of his albums, with two shining exceptions: Old Ways and Arc. Arc is just hard to listen to for more than three minutes (as it's just a lot of feedback), and Old Ways really does *suck.* I suppose the title track is half-way decent, and "Get Back to the Country" makes me chuckle a bit... but other than that... Then there are albums like Life and Broken Arrow and Mirror Ball that are *okay,* but not things that I listen to regularly.

That said, many of his oft-berated albums rank among my favorites: Trans, Landing On Water, Re.Ac.Tor, etc. I like Journey Through the Past for several tracks: Alabama, Words, Ohio, and possibly the best released version of Southern Man ever (listen to the way Neil screams, "I heard screamin' and BULLwhips crackin'...").
12-04-03 11:18 PM
glencar Well, Gazza, I'm glad we're in agreement once again! The daughter was featured in the video for whatever song it was & she looked to be in her early twenties.

Hold Back is indeed virtually unlistenable. Now, what about Hold On To Your Hat? That's another turd.
12-07-03 05:36 AM
J.J.Flash How could somebody say Deep Purple's Stormbringer has lack of quality. Gimme a break! David Coverdale has so many talent, the guitar is good on it too. People tend to focus Deep Purple only with Gillan, and I don't think that's wrong. But every Rock'n'Roll addicted should listen to that album with Coverdale. Stormbringer was so funky and I say again, I think the guitar work is surprisingly.

The highlights: Stormbringer/Holy Man/Lady Double Dealer/High Ball Shooter and last but not least, this statement deep from the heart SOLDIER OF FORTUNE.
12-07-03 09:06 AM
mac_daddy c'mon JJF - David Coverdale? The frontman for Whitesnake? The only thing that band had going for it was the psycho bitch from Bachelor Party writhing all over the place in their videos...
12-07-03 09:50 AM
glencar Tawny Kitaen? She ended up becoming his psycho ex-wife.
12-07-03 10:02 AM
mac_daddy I don't think she married Coverdale, although she was f*cking him when that band was experiencing their 15 minutes of MTV induced fame. Jesus, if I never hear another big-hair power ballad, it will be too soon...

She went psycho on her husband who pitched for the Angels. Narc'd on him for smokin' w33d, too. There has got to be pic of her post-arrest... The news clips reminded me of a line from a Zevon tune (the French Inhaler), "When the lights came up at two, I caught a glimpse of you, and your face looked like Death brought with him in his suitcase..." My how the mighty jave fallen...
12-07-03 10:11 AM
glencar She & Coverdale had a very brief marriage & then she moved onto Finley. There was an arrest photo floating around but nothing beats Winona Judd's photo. Classic police files stuff, that.
12-07-03 10:23 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
c'mon JJF - David Coverdale? The frontman for Whitesnake? The only thing that band had going for it was the psycho bitch from Bachelor Party writhing all over the place in their videos...

That's my point, I don't give a fuck for what David was doing with Whitesnake, FUCK OFF. But I was talking about Stormbringer. Simple as it is.
12-08-03 09:12 PM
corgi37 White City is a very fine record. The little 1 hour video that came with it is very moving. White City was sort of a loose update on Jimmy the mod, from Quadrophenia. 15-20 years later, unemployed, separated from his wife (against his will), dejected, living in Thatchers Britain, with dislocation and despair everywhere. Living in council blocks with little hope of escape. (MAN, I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN THE LINER NOTES!!!). "Give blood, "Face the face" & "2nd hand love" are fantastic. Pete's daughter, Emma, sings with him on the video. I think she's on the record, but i am certain there is no solo female vocal on the album version of "Face the face". Remember, to further link this record with "QUAD", that a character in "QUAD" was the "Face". Who was really a lowly bell-boy. Hence, "Face the face". And, ok, so Stu played on some tracks on Dirty Work. Whoopee doo, it still sux. Maybe hearing the end result (and the cover art) knocked him off the perch? And yes, "Hold Back" is a shocker. What the hell is Jagger doing on that track?
12-09-03 03:51 AM
glencar Hold Back is a sheer mess.

VH1 Classic shows that "Face The Face" video once in a while. Not crazy about the song but it's nice to give your daughter a job now & then.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5